Austin Powers (1997 - 2002)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think AP can come back but preferably with more of the same. Any attempt to add new layers to his "story" might backfire. After a break of nearly 1.5 decades, I'm sure the shear nostalgia is enough to get us to watch the film. Also, they might want to keep their budget low enough. I don't expect any new AP film to make more than 200 million because I can't imagine younger movie goers being interested in this.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I think AP can come back but preferably with more of the same. Any attempt to add new layers to his "story" might backfire. After a break of nearly 1.5 decades, I'm sure the shear nostalgia is enough to get us to watch the film. Also, they might want to keep their budget low enough. I don't expect any new AP film to make more than 200 million because I can't imagine younger movie goers being interested in this.

I'll agree with you about a new Austin Powers movie probably not making too much money. The AP film series was very much of of it's time. Those 90s/early 2000s SNL-style comedies would seem passé in 2014 Hollywood (much less in a few years time) and have been replaced and a different kind of comedy. I doubt young audiences would flock to an Austin Powers movie the way they did in 1999.
    Oh come on, toilet humour is timeless! That is what AP relied on, far more than spoofing Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Oh come on, toilet humour is timeless! That is what AP relied on, far more than spoofing Bond.

It could use a good flushing if you ask me.
    I was being sarcastic of course.
    I like toilet humour. I like Austin Powers, Family Guy, Inbetweeners, etc, and if they made a fourth Austin Powers film then I'd be excited. If that makes me an immature idiot then so be it.
    I can enjoy toilet humour, but Myers is no Rabelais and often uses it as an easy way to get a cheap, cheap, cheap laugh. When he is short of a joke, or of genres to parody, he gets into the gutter. Is he funny? Yes, sometimes, or rather was, but I don't think he ever was the comic genius people or himself seemed to think he was.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw the first, and had no interest in seeing any of the others. Myers is not funny imo.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Started rewatching the AP trilogy yesterday, it's hilarious as always.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    I can enjoy toilet humour, but Myers is no Rabelais and often uses it as an easy way to get a cheap, cheap, cheap laugh. When he is short of a joke, or of genres to parody, he gets into the gutter. Is he funny? Yes, sometimes, or rather was, but I don't think he ever was the comic genius people or himself seemed to think he was.

Yes, I concur that this is the case from what I've seen of the films.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Austin Powers 1997

One of the best films ever made.

Elizabeth Hurley is my favourite female ever. Ever since the GoldenEye Special I was in love...or heat...or both :P

BUT
    The best ever opening to any film ever, like in...ever....

is this:
    *oh and the rest of the film is utter garbage I'm afraid to say.

it is actually grotesquely ridiculous how great that opening is...

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The third film isn't on par with the first two and repeatedly plays on the jokes already uttered in the originality of its predecessors. But, Goldmember is actually a fun film to watch and definitely doesn't deserve the hatred it gets from the general audience, whose disdain of things are exaggerated more than often.

I mean, come on, Dr. Evil's "Abooooow" reaction to the mole in the beginning was extremely funny.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Spy Who Shagged Me is my favorite of the trilogy.
    I love The International Man of Mystery myself.
    I love The International Man of Mystery myself.

That's my favorite of the three, as well.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Spy Who Shagged Me was actually the first AP movie I saw, so it's probably my favorite of the three. The International Man of Mystery is a very close second and I actually really like Goldmember. It was the first, and so far only, AP movie I saw in theaters.

Any word on a fourth being made?
    The Spy Who Shagged Me was actually the first AP movie I saw, so it's probably my favorite of the three. The International Man of Mystery is a very close second and I actually really like Goldmember. It was the first, and so far only, AP movie I saw in theaters.

Any word on a fourth being made?

There was one in the works but plans fell through, and a new sequel has seemed like nothing more than a rumor over the last several years.
    That's such a shame. I always thought it would be funny to see an aging Austin Powers try to prove himself among a new and young spy. The young spy could spoof Craig's Bond.
    Alas, it seems Austin Powers 4 has gone the way of Spaceballs 2. Just mere rumors for years to come.
    I want AUSTINPUSSY. Give it to me :P
    A fourth film, as of August 2016 is still being developed as Mike Myers stated.

And it's likely to be a Dr. Evil movie rather than Austin Powers.
    I still find it funny that the twist of 'Goldmember,' a Bond parody, essentially showed up in a later Bond installment (SP).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I still find it funny that the twist of 'Goldmember,' a Bond parody, essentially showed up in a later Bond installment (SP).

I've only seen SP twice but I can't recall what you're talking about.

Austin's archnemesis Dr. Evil - obvious parodies on Bond and Blofeld respectively - ends up being his "brother"; granted, it's not the exact same, but it is funny how similar it is.
    If there ever is a 4th movie it's gonna feel weird imo
    Especially with Kingsman taking the more humorous take on the spy genre.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 1,812

Austin's archnemesis Dr. Evil - obvious parodies on Bond and Blofeld respectively - ends up being his "brother"; granted, it's not the exact same, but it is funny how similar it is.

Ha, I never thought about that. Now I'll never be able to watch SP the same way again lol.

EON have guaranteed that Myers cannot spoof that story in the next AP movie.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Especially with Kingsman taking the more humorous take on the spy genre.

It's not a full-blown comedy like 'Austin Powers' is, though. I do agree that it may be too-little-too-late for a sequel, but at the same time, a parody on the whole "aging spy" angle could be very well done. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to be the first in line for a fourth installment.
    Didn't Johnny English 2 parody the aging spy aspect?
    I never viewed Austin Powers to be a James Bond parody, not the character itself, the films in general yes.

The "real" parody of James Bond can be seen in the two fabulous Johnny English films. Rowan Atkinson is hilarious.