Austin Powers (1997 - 2002)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Austin Powers parodies Bond in more ways than one, yes. But, it parodies UNCLE and the Derek Flint films more. It even has the ZOWIE organization's ringtone in it whenever Austin gets a phone call from Basil Exposition.
    I love all three to be honest. The third one is worth it just for Micheal Cain.

"There are two sorts of people I hate in the world. People who are intolerant of other cultures, and the dutch".

I'd be interested in a fourth one but if it never happens I'm fine with that too. It's a nice trilogy already.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Didn't Johnny English 2 parody the aging spy aspect?

There were vague hints that they were going for a Craig era parody (as well as the title being rebooted I remember a parkour bit and a line about gadgets being on the way out) but in the end it just ended up being more of the same but with none of the memorability or dumb charm that the first one had imo.
    I always thought the second installment of Johnny English was by far superior to the first.
    I thought there were news for a sequel and that's why this thread was bumped :/

However..idk if I even want it...the gimmick wore off. I think maybe Mike Myers should make some other parody movie to come back.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I bumped the thread because sometimes things go bump in the night. It is night, at least here in the Alps :P
    Is that your way of calling for help, @BondJasonBond006? ;)

You discovered one of Dr. Evil's lairs in the Alps but found yourself outnumbered?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I always thought the second installment of Johnny English was by far superior to the first.

Me, too: lots of quality gags, Gillian Anderson owning all her Pegasus scenes, and a more mature-looking Rowan Atkinson.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've never seen any of the Johnny English movies.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Me, too: lots of quality gags, Gillian Anderson owning all her Pegasus scenes, and a more mature-looking Rowan Atkinson.
    And a more competent of an agent.
    The Spy who Shagged me one of my favouraite movies of all time.

God dam! Heather Graham in this film is off the chart.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    The first Austin Powers will always be my favourite. It was so fresh and fun when it appeared, and as someone who was hugely into the Sixties in general and spy films/TV shows in particular, I felt as though Mike Myers had made it just for me.

I can still remember coming home on the bus (from the Bournemouth Odeon, @BondJasonBond006!) with my fellow-geek Paul and the fun we had arguing about all the references.

But because above all else I love films that manage to be both funny and touching, it's this scene that makes it the winner:

Watching back these movies now? I don't find them as funny as they were when they were first released?
    In contrast I find the Johnny English films just as funny now as they were then? Maybe it is my Brit humour!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,325
    I don't remember the first Austin Powers been released in the cinema. I first came across it when it was on Sky Movies. It also did modest business at the box office - $67,683,989 worldwide in 1997 - $102,812,611.85 in 2017 money. In perspective that's about a 10th of what Skyfall made at the box office.
  • The first Austin Powers—International Man of Mystery—remains for me the pinnacle of the Austin Powers films and of James Bond spoofdom. That film had me in stitches as a kid and still entertains the funny-bone and warms the heart. The slow death by steam roller, made even more exquisite by Powers hopping off immediately after, is comedy at its finest.

The sequels did so little for me by comparison, I can offer only Dr. Evil rapping, Will Ferrell's brief reprisal in Shagged, the mole business, the ladies, and George S. Clinton's music in their defense.

However, as mentioned by BondJasonBond006...
    The best ever opening to any film ever, like in...ever....

is this:
    *oh and the rest of the film is utter garbage I'm afraid to say.

it is actually grotesquely ridiculous how great that opening is...

The rest of the film is utter garbage, however, as BondJasonBond006 and I are both afraid to say.
    I never viewed Austin Powers to be a James Bond parody, not the character itself, the films in general yes.

True, the films spoofed James Bond in many, many, many, many ways—especially the first one—but Austin Powers himself does not spoof the character of James Bond in any way (apart from being perpetually randy and making bad quips about henchman deaths and retroactively in being Dr. Evil's brother ;) )
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Can you believe I've never actually watched any of these films from start to finish? I've caught bits on tv, but that's it. I've wondered why, and I think there is a subconscious disgust with Myers for usurping Bond as a cultural phenomenon in the late 90's. Bond spoofs are as old as the original film franchise itself, but never before had there been one that became more exciting and talked about than the standard bearer.

One thing I don't ever want to see again is a shoo-in for a Bond girl picked up by another major franchise before EoN gets to her. Elizabeth Hurley (as Bond girl) has Bond written all over her, as does Cate Blanchett (as Bond villain), and both Austin and now Marvel have gotten there first. Either are the type with the skills and looks to elevate a film just by being cast.
    The best ever opening to any film ever, like in...ever....

is this:
    *oh and the rest of the film is utter garbage I'm afraid to say.

it is actually grotesquely ridiculous how great that opening is...
    I have to agree that this is phenomenal. A mix of Bond and MI2. Shaggadelic and full of swagger.
    The first movie wasn't released in the cinemas here. But like me and many others discovered the first one on home release, the sewuels got a big screen treatment.

First is still the best. With my immature sense of humour, I actuslly find Goldmember the funniest. Oh, and My Cocaine is in it... I mean Michael Caine.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    The first movie wasn't released in the cinemas here. But like me and many others discovered the first one on home release, the sewuels got a big screen treatment.

First is still the best. With my immature sense of humour, I actuslly find Goldmember the funniest. Oh, and My Cocaine is in it... I mean Michael Caine.
    That sense of humour, sir, I dig it! :D
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I've always enjoyed them. The first being the best, Goldmember being the weakest but funniest and Shagged being decent but my least favorite.
    http://movieweb.com/austin-powers-4-script-mike-meyers/

Mike Myers still wants to do Austin Powers 4. Not surprised. But will he? Now, thst is the question.

This ship has sailed a while ago. Isn't Myers considered toxic now?

@bondjames Never understood the appeal of Elizabeth Hurley and personally cannot picture her as a Bond girl. Now for Cate Blanchett, that is different. She is great in everything.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    If you're tending to go for the Fleming Bond, then no Liz Hurley is not the type.

If you're going with the fun Bond with sex and violence, and glorified comic book-y humour with an overcompensating stylish super-spy effortlessly walking through a corridor and make every woman fawn for him, a la Derek Flint, then yes, Liz Hurley is the type of Bond Girl for that type of Bond. Namely, the Bonds of Connery, Moore and Brosnan.
    I agree @ClarkDevlin- Liz has Brosnan Bond written all over her! Not that I would have complained of course! ;)

I thought they were actually planning a 4th Austin Powers though-- I mean besides Myers' mere mentioning that he wanted to do one. It had to do with them going back to 1997 and interacting with the first movie when he was thawed out in the 'present'. That has potential.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    First time I heard about that concept, @Master_Dahark. Very interesting.

While other times, I heard about a Dr. Evil movie being cooked up and that Mike Myers was negotiating a deal with New Line Cinema according to an interview dating back to August 2016. Made me think there already was a script.
    I could have dreamt it to be honest- I can't seem to find it now.
    Cocktails right before bed gives interesting results sometimes ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I like AP a lot (loved it when I was a kid), but I'd much prefer if they left it in the the past. Especially now that Blofeld is back in the Bond franchise, the character which Dr. Evil parodies.
    I don't think we really have a market for a film franchise like Austin Powers today, sadly.
    They have been planning a 4th Austin Powers film since 2004. Its not happening.
    Unless the contemporary pop culture becomes "light" again, I don't see it happening either. The article above pretty much confirmed it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    We are there again. It just has to be 'light' with more 'graphic violence' rather than angst. Witness GotG, Deadpool, Kingsman, FF etc.