Austin Powers (1997 - 2002)

Comments

• Hope the whole gig makes a comeback. It'll keep EON in it's place before resorting to further imitation of the past Bond movies.
    If they wanted to throw a clever nod to what they're doing with Terminator Genesis, and since they love time travel in these Austin Powers sequels, they could always go back to the 90's and interact with the events of the first movie
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just hope they set this one in the 60s again. I feel that's where AP belongs.
    Kerim wrote:
    Plus Myers is supposedly one of the most difficult actors to work with. He hasn't done a whole lot other than voiceovers since Goldmember came out.

Is he? Interesting. He seems like a genuinely nice guy in interviews. I think he is, or rather was, overrated as a comic genius, but I always thought as a person he seemed quite nice.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,778
    Kerim wrote:
    Plus Myers is supposedly one of the most difficult actors to work with. He hasn't done a whole lot other than voiceovers since Goldmember came out.

I was just about to bring this up. Val Kilmer might be the only other actor that trumps Myers when it comes to being a diva and overall difficult person to be around on set. Obviously I don't have any personal experience but the stories that have gotten out are pretty ridiculous. Ranging from Myers getting a lower level crew member fired for giving him a dirty look to refusing to film for days at a time until a minor change was made. You wouldn't think Wayne from Wayne's World would be such a jerk but I guess life is funny that way.

And I agree with most of you. The Austin Powers franchise was dead tired by 2002.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 14,799
    If they wanted to throw a clever nod to what they're doing with Terminator Genesis, and since they love time travel in these Austin Powers sequels, they could always go back to the 90's and interact with the events of the first movie

I would rather not. Time traveling in the second AP movie was already jumping the shark, or nuking the fridge. Instead of remaining a spoof of spy stories in general and James Bond in particular, it started spoofing every movie and every single genre. That and adding a lot of toilet humour there to gross out people more than to make them laugh.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Austin Powers is Dead at this point. Goldmember pretty much recycled jokes from The Spy Who Shagged Me and added some new unfunny gags. Like the skin peeling and Ayyyyye Thank you after every joke. Though it did have some good bits. I enjoyed Scott becoming evil and Dr. Evil accepting him. Mini-me being betrayed by him and turning good was also a nice twist. Everything else was already see in the last movie. There wasn't enough originality. I loved the first two films but Goldmember was just more of the same with barely anything new.
    Murdock wrote:
    Austin Powers is Dead at this point. Goldmember pretty much recycled jokes from The Spy Who Shagged Me and added some new unfunny gags. Like the skin peeling and Ayyyyye Thank you after every joke. Though it did have some good bits. I enjoyed Scott becoming evil and Dr. Evil accepting him. Mini-me being betrayed by him and turning good was also a nice twist. Everything else was already see in the last movie. There wasn't enough originality. I loved the first two films but Goldmember was just more of the same with barely anything new.

I love the irony there. I comedy film series that mocks a spy series for being repetitive and predictable that in only 3 films becomes even more repetitive and predictable than films they are mocking. There never should've been a sequel to Austin Powers. Much less two.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote:

I love the irony there. I comedy film series that mocks a spy series for being repetitive and predictable that in only 3 films becomes even more repetitive and predictable than films they are mocking. There never should've been a sequel to Austin Powers. Much less two.

I disagree. I think the Spy Who Shagged me is the strongest of the 3. It's my personal favorite. ;)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,813
    2 is also my favorite.
    I even loved the trailer- it was so self aware. Remember it was the summer Star Wars came out? The trailer said 'If you see ONE movie this summer, see...... Star Wars. But if you see TWO-- SEE AUSTIN POWERS' :D

Of course, that was back before we knew Episode 1 was horrible.
    Although i do enjoy them and they do make me laugh. A 4th movie is no threat to Bond.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kerim wrote:

I was just about to bring this up. Val Kilmer might be the only other actor that trumps Myers when it comes to being a diva and overall difficult person to be around on set. Obviously I don't have any personal experience but the stories that have gotten out are pretty ridiculous. Ranging from Myers getting a lower level crew member fired for giving him a dirty look to refusing to film for days at a time until a minor change was made. You wouldn't think Wayne from Wayne's World would be such a jerk but I guess life is funny that way.

And I agree with most of you. The Austin Powers franchise was dead tired by 2002.

Dana Carvey wouldn't work with him any more after Wayne's World 2.

He's #2 on this list.

http://www.celebzen.com/8-celebrities-you-wouldnt-want-to-work-with/2/

and on this list.

http://whatculture.com/film/10-famous-actors-who-are-notoriously-difficult-to-work-with.php/10

Val Kilmer is #1 on both.

Teri Hatcher's name comes up a lot as well
    Kerim wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

He's #2 on this list.

and on this list.

http://whatculture.com/film/10-famous-actors-who-are-notoriously-difficult-to-work-with.php/10

I frequent WhatCulture.com alot and was actually just looking for this article. Check out these quotes from IMDB. Apparently the director of Wayne's World shares horror stories with other people who've had the misfortune of working with Myers.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000196/board/thread/229003392
    Murdock wrote:

I guess a sequel was inevitable, given the success of the first, but it had lost its relevance by then. The movie had mainly repeats of the jokes of the first and it moved away from a spoof of the spy genre, had none of the man out of his time appeal of the first... Great publicity campaign, but when the best thing about your movie is its trailers, you have a serious problem.
    Kerim wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

He's #2 on this list.

and on this list.

I frequent WhatCulture.com alot and was actually just looking for this article. Check out these quotes from IMDB. Apparently the director of Wayne's World shares horror stories with other people who've had the misfortune of working with Myers.

Boy, I am so not informed, I had no idea he had such bad reputation. I thought his disappearance from the big screen was due to the relatively limited range and long term appeal of his kind of humour.
    I think a new Austin Powers film with him making fun of the "gritty" spy movie, could be very funny. Obviously, it is not likely to happen as of right now but I for one owe Austin Powers for really getting into Bond. Also, all 3 movies are favorites to watch among my entire family from time to time.
    I think Myers will return when the inspiration hit him again. Though I don't believe his next live action film will be Austin Powers 4. Something entirely different. I also read he's difficult to work with and also often drops from the face of the earth when he has no inspiration to make any movies. From "So, I married an axe murderer" to Austin Powrs and from Goldmemeber to Love Guru he stopped working for years, because he had no real inspiration to work in the instrustry for years. He might resurface again. But I highly doubt that it will be the next Austin Powers. That ship has already sailed.
    I'm starting to suspect Myers is a one trick pony.
    Myers is very one dimensional and self indulgent, repeating old gags and playing multiple characters for no reason.

He's done more unnecessary scottish accents than Sir Sean.
    He does go into very cheap humour too: toilet jokes, accent jokes, etc.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    I'm starting to suspect Myers is a one trick pony.

I think you are right. Not a big fan in any sense, though I did buy a reduced price boxset of the three AP films recently - have yet to watch them, though I have seen bits of some of them of course.
    The first one is quite funny, but flawed. It is not the comedy masterpiece some people think it is. Too many easy laughs. And I suspect the movies hurt Bond, at least partially.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

Is he? Interesting. He seems like a genuinely nice guy in interviews. I think he is, or rather was, overrated as a comic genius, but I always thought as a person he seemed quite nice.

That's what i thought.
    I would never have considered Mike Myers difficult to work with.
    Well you learn something every day .

It puts his absence from the spotlight in a... New light. But I do think his rather limited and overrated range of humour must have played a role.
    Never liked the movies so I cannot be bothered by a new one either.

I would rather have another Shrek movie.
    I can't believe you have all missed the point of Austin Powers. It was never a parody of Bond but in fact a parody of all the Bond spoofs and rip offs of the sixties. Matt Helm, Derek Flint are the real inspiration for Powers. Watch those films now and see how uncannily the Powers films look and sound like those films. I do agree however that it seems a bit desperate on Myer's part to relive past glories.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

He's #2 on this list.

and on this list.

Boy, I am so not informed, I had no idea he had such bad reputation. I thought his disappearance from the big screen was due to the relatively limited range and long term appeal of his kind of humour.

Oh yeah. Mike Myers horror stories have circulated Hollywood for years and I'm not talking about the John Carpenter white-masked killer. Someone much scarier if you work in film. The reason Myers, along with the ever-charming Val Kilmer, no longer appear in very much is because they've spent years stepping on toes, pissing off directors, and crafted such horrible reputations for themselves that no self-respecting director will work with them.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    The first one is quite funny, but flawed. It is not the comedy masterpiece some people think it is. Too many easy laughs. And I suspect the movies hurt Bond, at least partially.

The feeling that it did indeed hurt the Bond films in some way (YOLT especially) is why I'm rather cool to this series of films to say the least, but of course I really need to sit down and watch them in full one after the other before I can make any concrete judgments on them.
    Perhaps they could get some mileage out of Austin becoming a gritty serious spy who desperatley wants to make terrible puns but can't anymore?
    Problem is, AP spoofed every single genre and more. So that wouldn't even look fresh. More like the desperate attempt of an has been with very limited humour to be relevant again.