Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    We just want games!

And you're getting games. It still plays games.

It just now has other features for people that want them and since nobody is forcing you to use them, it's not that big a deal.
    The point is, the Xbox is a game console first and foremost

It doesn't have to be. What's wrong with it doing other stuff as well?
    They focus too much on stupid entertainment features and damn motion controlled aspects that gamers couldn't care less about.

The motion controls look improved imo and when used well in games they can be really good (Zelda, wii sports, etc).

Gamers might not care (although I actually think it looks pretty cool), but believe it or not lots of people would enjoy these entertainment features. It helps them appeal to a wider market, it makes good business sense.
    yet Microsoft act like it is second, third or fourth chair in the features of the device.

I don't see how. That conference thing was the reveal of the console so of course they're going to show off all the nifty new features like the TV and all that. They can show the games at one of the conventions (e3 is soon isn't it?).

And so far I haven't seen a single advert showing off the TV and the Kinect. I have however seen plenty of adverts showing off the new Call Of Duty game on xbox one.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We just want games!

Yes, but from the Playstation/Sony. :)

I can't wait to see how little Microsoft focus on games for E3. For gaming consoles, E3 used to be a convention for gamers, but now the casual market seems more important to them.
    GTA V on Sept. 15 will be perfection. preordered the collectors editon and errthang
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    We just want games!

It just now has other features for people that want them and since nobody is forcing you to use them, it's not that big a deal.

The problem is that MicroShaft is focusing on these features, not on what makes it a gaming console, which is what gamers want.
    The point is, the Xbox is a game console first and foremost

It doesn't have to be. What's wrong with it doing other stuff as well?

Nothing is wrong with having the stuff, but when your game console ceases to become a game console and basically becomes a glorified tablet (that you can't take with you), what's the point of spending the money on a game console when you could just buy a tablet?
    They focus too much on stupid entertainment features and damn motion controlled aspects that gamers couldn't care less about.

The motion controls look improved imo and when used well in games they can be really good (Zelda, wii sports, etc).

Gamers might not care (although I actually think it looks pretty cool), but believe it or not lots of people would enjoy these entertainment features. It helps them appeal to a wider market, it makes good business sense.

Good business sense if they're trying to alienate their fanbase and cater to the general masses. If they were trying to stop production on their PCs, this would make a lot of sense, but PCs do these things as well, and MicroShaft is making billions on PCs already, meaning that they don't need to overburden their consoles with these options. Gaming isn't all that big on PC, even today.
    yet Microsoft act like it is second, third or fourth chair in the features of the device.

I don't see how. That conference thing was the reveal of the console so of course they're going to show off all the nifty new features like the TV and all that. They can show the games at one of the conventions (e3 is soon isn't it?).

And so far I haven't seen a single advert showing off the TV and the Kinect. I have however seen plenty of adverts showing off the new Call Of Duty game on xbox one.

Sony showed off their secondary features alongside a lot of games, focusing on the games. MicroShaft gives us TV (oh yay), Kinect (I know few people who actually like the device), movies (yippie), fantasy football (double yippie), and Bing. Oh, and there were a couple of games thrown in for good measure. Also, explain to me why the proximity to E3 is important. If MicroShaft was going to wait until E3 to show off the games, then they should have waited until E3 to reveal the console.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I see we are quite on the same side of the coin here, @Agent007391. Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way about Microsoft.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just hope Microsoft sells Rareware back to Nintendo. They made some classic games back in the day, now there stuck making app games and kennect games.
    We just want games!

Yes, but from the Playstation/Sony. :)

And from xbox. They're still making games, that isn't my opinion, that's a fact. It's still a games console, it just now does a whole lot more as well.
    The problem is that MicroShaft is focusing on these features, not on what makes it a gaming console, which is what gamers want.

Except from what I've seen, they're not prioritising these features at all. They've talked plenty about the games too, but when you have features like live TV, then of course you're going to explain how it works. Big things like this aren't just going to be a side note.
    Nothing is wrong with having the stuff, but when your game console ceases to become a game console and basically becomes a glorified tablet (that you can't take with you), what's the point of spending the money on a game console when you could just buy a tablet?

Because it's also a games console that plays proper games a tablet can't? Just a thought.

And please explain the difference between having the stuff and becoming a "glorified tablet".
    Good business sense if they're trying to alienate their fanbase and cater to the general masses. If they were trying to stop production on their PCs, this would make a lot of sense, but PCs do these things as well, and MicroShaft is making billions on PCs already, meaning that they don't need to overburden their consoles with these options. Gaming isn't all that big on PC, even today.

By their fanbase you mean the internet gamers complaining. Millions of other people own an xbox 360 and don't frequent game sites and places.

The general masses are the majority. Look at the Wii. That sold way more than the ps3 and the xbox, and that's because it had features that interested the general masses (the motion controls, the fitness and party stuff) while also making quality games for the gamers (Zelda).

As far as I can tell, that's what xbox is trying to do (albeit with some shitty restrictions on used games and offline play). Except the internet is throwing a hissy fit and acting like they're not getting games, which isn't true at all.
    Sony showed off their secondary features alongside a lot of games, focusing on the games. MicroShaft gives us TV (oh yay), Kinect (I know few people who actually like the device), movies (yippie), fantasy football (double yippie), and Bing. Oh, and there were a couple of games thrown in for good measure. Also, explain to me why the proximity to E3 is important. If MicroShaft was going to wait until E3 to show off the games, then they should have waited until E3 to reveal the console.

I like the TV idea, I think it'd be pretty cool having everything connected. Let's say I'm playing a game but a football match I want to watch is on. I pause the game, grab the screen and switch to TV. Then at half time, I can switch back to the game and pick up where I left off, and it's all seamless. I think that's a very nice idea.

I think motion controls can be good if done well (like I said, the latest Zelda is a brilliant example) and the new Kinect seems really improved so I'm looking forward to trying it if I ever do end up getting one of these (although I'm not prepared to shell out £600 for one when my Wii U is brilliant, same goes for the ps4).

It was a console reveal and it did just that, revealed the console. E3 is important because now they've got all that out of the way they can show off more of the games.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Except from what I've seen, they're not prioritising these features at all. They've talked plenty about the games too, but when you have features like live TV, then of course you're going to explain how it works. Big things like this aren't just going to be a side note.

Except they showed little to nothing about games, explained to us nothing of how it works, just showed it off. When Sony showed off the PS4, they gave us in-depth explanations, in conjunction with showing us what they were doing. Granted, the tech stuff went way over my head, but at least it was shown.

Because it's also a games console that plays proper games a tablet can't? Just a thought.

And please explain the difference between having the stuff and becoming a "glorified tablet".

Tablet/cellphone games are quickly coming close to our console games. They may not look as pretty, but that doesn't stop them from having a great deal of the same features. Look at Deus Ex: The Fall, soon to be on iPads everywhere. And what I meant by "becomes a glorified tablet" was that most of the features (TV, movies, fantasy football) can be used on tablets already, plus they play games. Take a YouTube look at the iPad/Blackberry Dead Space and you'll find a game that may not be outrageously long (but, c'mon, how many are nowadays besides RPGs?), but packs in every feature the first Dead Space had.

By their fanbase you mean the internet gamers complaining. Millions of other people own an xbox 360 and don't frequent game sites and places.

The general masses are the majority. Look at the Wii. That sold way more than the ps3 and the xbox, and that's because it had features that interested the general masses (the motion controls, the fitness and party stuff) while also making quality games for the gamers (Zelda).

As far as I can tell, that's what xbox is trying to do (albeit with some shitty restrictions on used games and offline play). Except the internet is throwing a hissy fit and acting like they're not getting games, which isn't true at all.

I don't simply mean "internet gamers", I mean gamers. When you make a gaming console, you are trying to make something for gamers. Shoving gaming to the side and saying "Here, watch TV on your console!" is akin to watching a Star Trek movie set in the present day with absolutely no space ships.

Also, the Wii had the general masses in mind, but it was still a gaming console (and a damn good one). Gaming was still the forefront. The motion controls, fitness and party stuff... all of that was still gaming. Especially when you have to create a little childish avatar that does all of that on the screen.

Yeah, and let's talk about those sh*tty restrictions on used games and offline play. It's rare, but there are still people out there who have no internet connection. The Xbox One is basically staring those people in the face with a middle finger and saying "F*ck you" very slowly. And, I'm not saying I'm an example of the majority, but well over 80% (it may be closer to 90%) of my game collection is pre-owned games. Some people just don't have the money to buy games new all the time, and a great deal of our games today just aren't worth the $60 price tag. COD is the prime example, but Assassin's Creed is another, so are all the sports games out there. We're getting less for our dollar than we were ten years ago, and now not only do we have to pay the $60 dollars, there's all the DLC out there that make some people feel like they're paying full price for an incomplete game. MicroShaft implementing all of these things is just telling people "We don't want you to buy this for games at all."

I like the TV idea, I think it'd be pretty cool having everything connected. Let's say I'm playing a game but a football match I want to watch is on. I pause the game, grab the screen and switch to TV. Then at half time, I can switch back to the game and pick up where I left off, and it's all seamless. I think that's a very nice idea.

Then your disc is spinning for a good three to four hours doing absolutely nothing, which is just so very not good for it.
    I think motion controls can be good if done well (like I said, the latest Zelda is a brilliant example) and the new Kinect seems really improved so I'm looking forward to trying it if I ever do end up getting one of these (although I'm not prepared to shell out £600 for one when my Wii U is brilliant, same goes for the ps4).

Yes, Skyward Sword was an example of motion controls done right, but let's take a good look at the differences between the WiiMote and the Kinect:

(Note: The Move shares the exact same limitations as the WiiMote, so just pile it under there.)

The WiiMote is a single slim object that you hold in your hand. If playing a game where a sword is required (Skyward Sword for example), the WiiMote works perfectly as a sword handle in your hand. With the use of peripherals, it can be placed into a model handgun or rifle for shooters, but those aren't really necessary.

The Kinect is simply MicroShaft's answer to Sony's EyeToy (again, keeping MicroShaft one step backward). If playing a game with a sword, you'd have to either grab a broomstick and look like an idiot or shell out money for the toy sword that the company sells for that game. If playing a shooter, you're gonna look so much stupider if you don't have the peripheral gun that they make you pay a good $20 more for.

And... okay, are you really defending the damn thing to me when you have no desire to own one? I guess that's dedication, but if the cause is lost, why jump on the bandwagon in the first place?
    It was a console reveal and it did just that, revealed the console. E3 is important because now they've got all that out of the way they can show off more of the games.

Yes, it was a console reveal. I said it before when I compared and contrasted the two reveals that the one thing MicroShaft did right that Sony didn't do at all was show us what the console looked like. But, E3's upcoming arrival still doesn't excuse that MicroShaft didn't really show us any games (especially not ones anybody even wants, I guess with the exception of Forza). And considering that at least 70% of the people who either A) knew about the reveal or B) watched the reveal were gamers, games were very important, and we didn't see any. The PS4 reveal showed us plenty of games and showed us what the console could do, MicroShaft would have had plenty of time to do that, too.
    I'm defending it because I feel pretty sorry for Microsoft right now. I've read nothing but negative things about the new xbox and some of it, I feel, isn't justified.

We're not getting anywhere on this debate so I think it's best to just leave it now. However, this
    but Assassin's Creed is another, so are all the sports games out there

is another matter entirely. The Assassin's Creed games are huge open world games that consistently deliver with exciting stories, brilliantly realised historical settings, fantastic writing and characters, an extremely fun mix of climbing, parkour and a simple but brilliant combat system.

I think Assassin's Creed is worth every penny and it does make plenty of changes (well Revelations didn't change much but the story and setting were amazing and the gameplay was more refined than ever so I can let it off).

I also buy FIFA every year, but that's more to do with me liking football more than anything else, I'll happily admit that those games are very similar most of the time (although 14 seems like a big step forward in quite a few ways).
    I'm defending it because I feel pretty sorry for Microsoft right now. I've read nothing but negative things about the new xbox and some of it, I feel, isn't justified.

We're not getting anywhere on this debate so I think it's best to just leave it now. However, this
    but Assassin's Creed is another, so are all the sports games out there

is another matter entirely. The Assassin's Creed games are huge open world games that consistently deliver with exciting stories, brilliantly realised historical settings, fantastic writing and characters, an extremely fun mix of climbing, parkour and a simple but brilliant combat system.

I think Assassin's Creed is worth every penny and it does make plenty of changes (well Revelations didn't change much but the story and setting were amazing and the gameplay was more refined than ever so I can let it off).

I also buy FIFA every year, but that's more to do with me liking football more than anything else, I'll happily admit that those games are very similar most of the time (although 14 seems like a big step forward in quite a few ways).

Okay, first I'll just say, MicroShaft's negative feedback of late: totally deserved.

Onto the important part: Assassin's Creed. No. Assassin's Creed really doesn't change. Assassins Vs Templars gets a little old after a while. The plot seems to move as slow as a whale through tar, because it takes so damn long for anything to be revealed. I'm all for stretching out a story, so that we get more of the characters that we like, but there's also a limit to that.

I enjoy the settings, I like the present day characters (Desmond, Lucy, Desmond's dad voiced by the awesome John De Lancie), but I'm not too fond of the historical characters.

Altair is okay (though his "non-personality" gets on my nerves), but the rest of his supporting cast sucks.

Ezio starts out okay, doesn't really seem like he takes his family's death very seriously, or maybe he just isn't able to, since that game's plot speeds by (no offense to Roger Craig Smith, who voices Ezio, but he honestly makes it sound like "Oh no, my family's dead."), but we spend way too damn much time with him. Altair got two full games (AC1 and Bloodlines), while Ezio got three and a DVD epilogue (we literally follow him from birth to death).

Then we get Connor, who honestly seems like he's got all the personality of a cardboard box that's been thrown out into the street, soaked in the rain and run over a dozen times. The only thing that seems cool about him is his badass pirate grandfather (or great grandfather, I can't remember which), who's shanking people and taking their women in the same stride.

I never really paid attention to Ezio's supporting cast besides Leonardo Da Vinci, so that tells me I didn't care for them.

Running on rooftops (especially if its between AC2 and Brotherhood, where all the landscapes look exactly the damn same) gets boring after you've explored every damn part of every damn city. I wish we would have gotten a game set entirely in the present day, but from what I read about the ending of AC3, that'll probably never happen.

A note on the settings: I do find it hilarious that news channels have accidentally used pictures of AC settings as real pictures of places.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anyone see the updated features list of the Xbox One, where MS talks about the used games policy and whatnot? Seems to have a lot of people up in arms. I really don't know what to do at this point. I know next-gen is inevitable and although they'll have support for the 360 for "years and years," I just want to make the switch while I can, while I have the money to spend, and while the console will be readily available (launch), so I have to decide soon on what I want, or at least pre-order both and cancel one months down the road once I've fully decided. The PS4 sounds good so far, but I feel so much more "right" sticking with Microsoft. Time will tell.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm getting a Wii-U. It's finally starting to come out with games that aren't the typical Generic Sports/Party games. I'm looking forward to getting 007 Legends, Sonic Lost Worlds, the Next Gen 3D Mario Title, Super Smash Bros 4 and The new Zelda titles. Luigi's Mansion 2 for the 3DS really told me that Nintendo is getting serious about games again. after the last few Mario games being so painfully cookie cutter I almost gave up on Mario games. That being said. XBone doesn't impress me and the PS4 will be way out of my price range so Nintendo will get my money yet again.
    The only real downside to the Wii U is that it's not getting FIFA 14 (and I can just buy it on the old xbox so that doesn't matter).

I'm really glad I got one and it honestly seems like the best option to me.
    I know I'll probably get a Wii U eventually (I want Lego City Undercover, because I'm a sucker for TT Games Lego games), and certainly a PS4 for future Metal Gear games, and probably Infamous. Granted, I'm in a real money slump right now, so I've got to wait a while. Them's the breaks, I guess.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At some point I'll buy a PS4 but that may not be until well into next year, if it's going to cost £425 like the last one.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    if it's going to cost £425 like the last one.

If Amazon is to be believed then it'll cost £600.

The Wii U on the other hand is less than half of that, and will be getting Zelda.

6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    That must be a placeholder price. It won't cost £600 - thank God.
    Then your disc is spinning for a good three to four hours doing absolutely nothing, which is just so very not good for it

Wait, 3 to 4 hours? 45 minutes in a half. Or are you talking about American football?
    Then your disc is spinning for a good three to four hours doing absolutely nothing, which is just so very not good for it

Wait, 3 to 4 hours? 45 minutes in a half. Or are you talking about American football?

Well, I was actually just talking about American sports TV timeslots. Generally, they go somewhere between 2-4 hours, often going over because something happened in the middle needing to extend the timeslot. I don't know much about timeslots outside the US.
    The E3 Xbox One press conference is starting now. You can watch it Live on the 360 Dashboard or on here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/e3-media-briefing/

I see them either wowing us or disappointing. Hopefully the former.

splinter cell play through
    The announced games at the E3 conference for the Xbox One were mostly astounding. 'Dead Rising 3' looks incredible. Unfortunately, every GameStop I've called - even online - is sold out already with the consoles. Ridiculous.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The announced games at the E3 conference for the Xbox One were mostly astounding. 'Dead Rising 3' looks incredible. Unfortunately, every GameStop I've called - even online - is sold out already with the consoles. Ridiculous.

I didn't watch it but I think this proves two of my points.

1) They were saving the games for E3.

2) The people who are pissed off are mostly just angry fanboys online who will have very little impact on overall sales.
    I didn't watch it but I think this proves two of my points.

1) They were saving the games for E3.

2) The people who are pissed off are mostly just angry fanboys online who will have very little impact on overall sales.

1) Who said they weren't saving the games for E3? I merely said it was a flimsy excuse.

2) We'll see. Things could change.

I have a feeling that once word spreads about the restrictions and online stuff (ie- reported by major media and not just the gaming sites) that things could change a bit but I'm fairly confident that it'll sell well no matter what.

Can't wait.

I have a feeling that once word spreads about the restrictions and online stuff (ie- reported by major media and not just the gaming sites) that things could change a bit but I'm fairly confident that it'll sell well no matter what.

Nobody said it wouldn't sell well. There are still those out there who violently hate Sony and Nintendo and have practically sold their souls to MicroShaft. I don't think it'll sell as well as the 360 did, though.
    Been awaiting 'Mirror's Edge 2' for quite some time. Such a great lineup they have so far.

Christ they're announcing everything today aren't they?
    edited June 2013 Posts: 7,854
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Been awaiting 'Mirror's Edge 2' for quite some time. Such a great lineup they have so far.

So has everyone else who played the first one.
    Christ they're announcing everything today aren't they?

Well, first impressions and all that.

I'm just hoping that today's trailer for Metal Gear Solid V isn't the only Metal Gear-related thing we see this E3.