Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i05Zei--DRo?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i05Zei--DRo?hl=en_US&version=3"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    I don't have time to view this at the moment, but judging by the thumbnail I spot a reference to The Dark Knight.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Two new Arkham games (though one's a handheld tie-in title), and neither one is developed by Rocksteady.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/batman-arkham-origins-announced
    Two new Arkham games (though one's a handheld tie-in title), and neither one is developed by Rocksteady.

*Virtual Fist Pump*

Can't wait, easily my most anticipated game of the year, looking forward to seeing some proper trailers and gameplay.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Just what I feared.... :-SS

It's no big deal, they are using the same engine and apart from the Bat-Suit I think they said they aren't going to change too much about the gameplay and tone, don't worry about it, it should still be good anyway, but I still want an Arkham Three, proper sequel, this is a prequel.

Sammm04 wrote:

It's no big deal, they are using the same engine and apart from the Bat-Suit I think they said they aren't going to change too much about the gameplay and tone, don't worry about it, it should still be good anyway, but I still want an Arkham Three, proper sequel, this is a prequel.

I'm not worried about the gameplay or tone, but more about that Rocksteady mark they put on the games and the style that only they can produce that will be missing.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not worried about the gameplay or tone, but more about that Rocksteady mark they put on the games and the style that only they can produce that will be missing.

A few years ago they took the Need For Speed licence away from the developers of the last few games (which were very successful and popular), and let the people who made the Burnout series do the next game. Lots of fans complained about it.

But then the new people made Hot Pursuit which was brilliant and got great reviews.

Then the original developers returned and bought The Run, which I didn't buy because of bad reviews.

Then it was announced the makers of Hot Pursuit were taking over for good and they bought us the new Most Wanted game, which was my favourite game of 2012 and which I thought was the best in the series.

The same seems to have happened with Halo (everybody was upset that they replaced the original people but then the new one was hailed as the best in the series).

So I'm going to give this new Batman game a chance, because I think those two examples proved that developers can be replaceable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It was my same fear as well. I suppose we'll see how it turns out.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    A few years ago they took the Need For Speed licence away from the developers of the last few games (which were very successful and popular), and let the people who made the Burnout series do the next game. Lots of fans complained about it.

But then the new people made Hot Pursuit which was brilliant and got great reviews.

Then the original developers returned and bought The Run, which I didn't buy because of bad reviews.

Then it was announced the makers of Hot Pursuit were taking over for good and they bought us the new Most Wanted game, which was my favourite game of 2012 and which I thought was the best in the series.

This must be why I haven't played Need for Speed for over ten years.
    The same seems to have happened with Halo (everybody was upset that they replaced the original people but then the new one was hailed as the best in the series).

I thought the general consensus behind Halo was that Combat Evolved Anniversary was good, while Halo 4 was subpar?
    apparently 8 assains come to gotham city on christmas eve to kill Batman... Honestly I am happy the prequel idea...

Plus here is something that should make people happy

DEATHSTROKE
    I do like the premise of it although I have no idea who Death Stroke is.

I hope they trim it down a bit. Arkham City I thought felt a bit messy. The Riddler stuff was just annoying (you could barely move without seeing a riddle popping up on screen or a trophy trapped in a cage) and I thought too many villians were crammed in.

I also hope they keep the voice actors from the last two.

Risico007 wrote:
    apparently 8 assains come to gotham city on christmas eve to kill Batman... Honestly I am happy the prequel idea...

Plus here is something that should make people happy

DEATHSTROKE

I hope they trim it down a bit. Arkham City I thought felt a bit messy. The Riddler stuff was just annoying (you could barely move without seeing a riddle popping up on screen or a trophy trapped in a cage) and I thought too many villians were crammed in.

I also hope they keep the voice actors from the last two.

I like it as well but I really hope they do not scrap the old villains entirely, would love to see the "Trio" (Dent, Gordon and Batman) but also the old villains as well.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 9,779
    Assuming the eight assasains concept is legit my guess for the villians

1. Deadshot
    2. Deathstroke
    3. Sensei
    4. Lady Shiva
    5. Kirigi
    6. Nyssa Raatko
    7. Kgbeast
    8. Catman

Just a guess though

the offical website doesnt have the christmas eve story (where Superherohype got it is a mystery to me) but it does have what looks like snow coming down

http://www.batmanarkhamorigins.com/

I thought the general consensus behind Halo was that Combat Evolved Anniversary was good, while Halo 4 was subpar?

It's done quite well.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-4

I did think about getting it but I was already planning on getting Assassins Creed, FIFA, Need For Speed and Hitman, so I decided against it.
    I do love the premise of a young Batman meeting for the first time those allies we know so well, but I still wish Rocksteady was on board. A good question is: if they aren't involved in these two titles, what are they working on then?
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    What I think is happening is this: Rocksteady are doing a sequel, but the licence holders know that there's lots of money to be made from these games and that sequel isn't going to be ready for release this year.

So to keep the cash flowing, they also had another studio make a prequel to release this year.
    What I think is happening is this: Rocksteady are doing a sequel, but the licence holders know that there's lots of money to be made from these games and that sequel isn't going to be ready for release this year.

So to keep the cash flowing, they also had another studio make a prequel to release this year.

Hmmm...I do hope you are right. Arkham City leaves you wanting more, and I hope we don't have to sit around for too long without another game that continues to build upon the story they gave us.

Slade Wilson, AKA Deathstroke the Terminator. If you're a DC cartoon viewer, you may have seen him in Teen Titans, where he was the main villain throughout the first two seasons (under his first name of "Slade", because "Deathstroke" was too violent for a kids cartoon) or on Young Justice, where Deathstroke could be seen during the second season as (primarily) Black Manta's enforcer. If you watch live action DC properties, you may have seen him in Smallville, where he went by the name "General Slade Wilson" (and made one reference to the term Deathstroke), or on Arrow, where he currently is training the young Oliver Queen during his imprisonment on the island, he simply goes by the name "Slade Wilson" here, though his mask has appeared once.

Just look at the fountain of knowledge I am!
    This is interesting:
    http://www.geekscoop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/batman-3.jpg

From the new Batman prequel game set at Christmastime? I think so, and it looks like it is a shot from in-game.
    I like the Christmas setting. Reminds me of the 2nd Tim Burton film.
    I like the Christmas setting. Reminds me of the 2nd Tim Burton film.

Yeah, snow and Christmas always works so well for Batman. Same for Sherlock Holmes.

I think with Batman it seems to fit so well because we realize that in a season of getting closer with family he really only has Alfred and the Bat family. I am sure he thinks about Martha and Thomas a lot during the season, especially Christmas morning.
    I'm still not too sure what to think of 'Splinter Cell: Blacklist.' It looks a lot like the last installment - which isn't a bad thing - so I may try it out.

I'm actually upset to see that 'GTA V' will not be coming to next-gen consoles. A quote from the Take-Two CEO within the 'Thief' edition of Game Informer squashes the hope that it will appear on next-gen consoles. So 'GTA V' will arrive on September 17th - he's really praising the beauty of this game and how it will be one of, if not the, best open-world game ever - and in less than three months, when the new consoles arrive, it won't be a release title? If it's so good, why not? Personally, this combined with how uninterested I am in 'GTA V,' I guess I'll be waiting another five or six years for my 'GTA' fix, because I won't shell out this much money when new consoles are just around the corner.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm still not too sure what to think of 'Splinter Cell: Blacklist.' It looks a lot like the last installment - which isn't a bad thing - so I may try it out.
    Why do you think it looks like the last game?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the bigger mix of stealth and action, mostly, alongside the 'tagging' ability. In past Splinter Cell games, I recall either going stealth or just getting killed.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the bigger mix of stealth and action, mostly, alongside the 'tagging' ability. In past Splinter Cell games, I recall either going stealth or just getting killed.

What about that makes you think it is the last game though?
    Ahh, I see what you're talking about now, Brady. I meant it looks like the last Splinter Cell game, in terms of 'Splinter Cell: Conviction.' I didn't mean that it's going to be the last game in the series, I only meant that it looks a lot like the latest released 'Splinter Cell' game a few years back. Poor wording on my part.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ahh, I see what you're talking about now, Brady. I meant it looks like the last Splinter Cell game, in terms of 'Splinter Cell: Conviction.' I didn't mean that it's going to be the last game in the series, I only meant that it looks a lot like the latest released 'Splinter Cell' game a few years back. Poor wording on my part.
    Oh, duh. Now I get it! :))
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can see where that was confusing, though. But yes, although it gives me a 'Conviction' vibe - though less of a 'rogue' feel to it - I recall enjoying the last one, so this may be just as entertaining. I rented 'Conviction' during a free trial of Gamefly and enjoyed every minute of it.