Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,904
    Following the announcement back in February, of 'Sherlock Holmes: Crimes And Punishment', we now have a tech demo:

Crimes & Punishments: a change of engine showed in screenshots and video

With the Testament of Sherlock Holmes, the series of video games dedicated to the famous detective marked a notable step in its history by dropping the traditional PC adventure games' gameplay in favor of a real investigation experience on consoles and PC.

With Crimes & Punishments, the series will mark a new milestone, as the development studio Frogwares will give up its home-made engine in order to switch to the well-known Unreal Engine 3 from Epic.
    This choice will first allow the game to benefit from bigger environments that are more gorgeous and more varied, all while offering an incredible level of detail: dynamic lighting, shaders, post-processing effects, animations... the game is an all-around winner, as illustrated in the very first presentation video of the new engine of Sherlock Holmes's latest game, which we're sending you today.

This new engine not only benefits the game's graphics: it also allows the development of new investigation mechanics that the previous engine's limitations did not permit. These new mechanics give the player the feeling that they ARE Sherlock Holmes, and enables them to fully use the incredible talents and gifts known to all fans, such as his skill to guess many details about the someone's life simply by glancing at them - or to imagine and reconstruct the course of event by carefully observing all the key details of a crime scene.

Crimes & Punishments will begin showcasing these unique features in the coming weeks through videos and presentations of the game. Crimes & Punishments will also be presented in more detail at E3 2013.

http://www.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/index.php?rub=news-infos&id=118

---

It looks good, but I will continue to keep my fingers crossed that they will have ironed out the glitches which were present in 'Testament...'.

Welsh Assassin.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Welsh Assassin.

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/wp-content/images/films/films-1989-licence-to-kill.jpg

;)

That trailer didn't shove the US flag in my face, already it looks better than AC3.

Brilliant. I do love that bit (Bond preparing to kill Sanchez), more than any other moment in the franchise, it shows Bond as a cold blooded killer. Dalton oozes ruthless there.
    That trailer didn't shove the US flag in my face, already it looks better than AC3.

Yep, skull and crossbones rather than stars and stripes, something I'm happy about.

I think they seem to have done a good job at ironing out AC 3's flaws. A more exotic setting, more freedom, AC 1 type assassinations, a more interesting protagonist, etc. Can't wait.

Might pre order it actually, you sometimes get it a day or two early that way.

yeah just cant wait for the 20th
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Only 4 more days until we get the full trailer!!!
    what do you think of the teaser Brady?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Oh, wow, so this is set before the other two games, I take it? Can't wait for this one.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    what do you think of the teaser Brady?

I am super excited! I only hope that Rocksteady is developing the sequel to City and this prequel game is basically a nice branching off point for the series. I need a conclusion to City, so hopefully Rocksteady won't let us down.
    Agreed I still love how Black mask is the main villain of Origins
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 12,837

This looks insane. Can't wait.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Umm...a 'Desperado' guitar case that fires rockets?

Day one purchase for me right there. I thought this game may be TOO crazy for me to enjoy, but I'm most certainly wrong on that. It looks insane.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 9,784

Sets up the story nicely and really pushes Black Mask as the main villain which I hope he is unlike Arkham City where lets face it Joker is the main villain of that game too.

Not that I mind but Ra's Al Ghul and Hugo Strange are 2 of my favorite villians and were criminally underused Black Mask is another of my favorites and I hope he isn't underused
    Next Xbox reveal will occur in less than 24 hours.
    So, the new Xbox is called 'Xbox One,' and the live reveal is going on right now. The console looks slim and pure black, and while I haven't gotten a big look at the controller, it does look a little bit bigger. Anyone else watching right now?
    Just finished watching. Pretty interesting. It seems Sony is going for "This is a gaming machine" and Microsoft is going for "this is the center of your living room" Both look good so far. But I'm probably leaning towards PS4 just because of all the great games. But I may have to save up some money to own both one day...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I watched the Xbox One reveal. It disappointed me.

When the PS4 announcement told us that PS4 would be social media based, it made a whole lot of sense to me. The world is overrun in different types of social media right now, and jumping on the bandwagon now is the perfect thing to do. Xbox One (that sounds like a total downgrade, going from 360 to 1) is jumping on the TV bandwagon, which would probably have been the thing to do ten years ago, when the original Xbox came out.

The PS4 reveal showed us Infamous Second Son, Killzone Shadow Fall, Driveclub and that weird-ass game called Knack. What we got out of the Xbox One reveal was a couple of sports games, a new Forza and a game by Remedy that looked like it was going to rip off Infamous.

The PS4 reveal took us deep into the inner workings of what made the console and its new features tick, while the Xbox One reveal showed us a bunch of Windows 8 "Live Tiles" basically doing what they do, but showing that we can just grab and expand air to make them play on the screen (oh, and we can talk to it, so anybody who already loves the sound of their own voice can enjoy it even more as they tell their console things like "TV" "Game" "Music"). We got maybe a minute telling us what the console's running on, whereas I remember at least 20 minutes at the PS4 reveal, plus active demonstrations during those 20 minutes.

Oh, and, yay, Halo TV. I'm thrilled. We've got games, novels, comics, web series and DVDs, TV was not only the next logical step, it was pretty much the only remaining step.

Sony took 2 hours to show us the raw power of the PS4, show us the features, and show us games. MicroShaft took 1 hour to show us a bunch of features that probably won't really appeal to gamers, absolutely no real info on what makes the console tick, and a couple games. The only thing MicroShaft did right that Sony didn't do at all was show us what the console looks like.
    @Agent007391, I prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but I can't help but agree with everything you just said. A one hour presentation, with 1/6 of it showing us 'Call of Duty: Ghosts,' which, interestingly enough, has these 'mind-blowing graphics' that barely look like BF3, something that is out on current-gen consoles and has been for a long time. It'll always be behind BF, and it doesn't look special.

What did they say exactly about the console? I tuned in thirty minutes in, when they were showing off the sports games. Even with the unveiling of the games, all we received were one minute trailers, and anyone can make a great looking trailer, next-gen or not. None of the games really wowed me, though I am a big fan of 'Forza.'

I just feel like they're getting away from what the console is: a gaming console. Most of it is spent on showing how it's a box that does numerous things, but I don't need a better Kinect, I don't need TV and fantasy football and Skype. That's what a computer or satellite box can do. I just want a suped-up console with amazing graphics and addictive games.

And yes, what a step down in terms of titles. Isn't the 'Xbox One' technically the first Xbox? They should have went with some of the other development titles that were constantly rumored.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's not a good title is it? Just going by the name PlayStation 4 sounds greater than Xbox One.

Apart from that, let's see what Sony has planned next on the 10th. Will PS4 retain the 'edge'?
    I was skeptical at first but the Arkham Origins trailer was absolutely amazing. It is some of the greatest action I have seen in a video game trailer, and the plot of a bunch of assassins going after Batman against the backdrop of Christmastime in Gotham is exciting! Definitely my most anticipated game!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Agent007391, I prefer Xbox over PlayStation, but I can't help but agree with everything you just said. A one hour presentation, with 1/6 of it showing us 'Call of Duty: Ghosts,' which, interestingly enough, has these 'mind-blowing graphics' that barely look like BF3, something that is out on current-gen consoles and has been for a long time. It'll always be behind BF, and it doesn't look special.

I must have been out of the room when they showed that off, because I don't remember it at all. It doesn't matter to me anyway, because no matter what, COD is going to be the same this year as it was last year as it was the year before that as it was the year before that.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    What did they say exactly about the console? I tuned in thirty minutes in, when they were showing off the sports games. Even with the unveiling of the games, all we received were one minute trailers, and anyone can make a great looking trailer, next-gen or not. None of the games really wowed me, though I am a big fan of 'Forza.'

They showed us basically that they're going to turn the console experience into a tablet experience, because we can "grab" two corners (i.e. two handfuls of air about a hand apart) and either expand our view from Live Tiles to full screen, or reduce it from full screen to Live Tiles. We can wave our hands left and right to go back and forth between the groupings of Live Tiles, just like you would on a tablet or smart phone. We can chat with people on Skype, or search for movie trailers while watching a movie or television. Y'know what, we can do that anyway - ON A COMPUTER! I don't really want my TV mixing it in my Google searches. Nor do I want to look at a tiny picture-in-picture box in the corner of the screen, with absolutely no sound, while I'm watching the larger picture on the screen.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just feel like they're getting away from what the console is: a gaming console. Most of it is spent on showing how it's a box that does numerous things, but I don't need a better Kinect, I don't need TV and fantasy football and Skype. That's what a computer or satellite box can do. I just want a suped-up console with amazing graphics and addictive games.

Both consoles are, in a way, though the PS4 still has a decent focus on gaming, they're trying to mix social media with gaming, while MicroShaft is simply trying to throw gaming out the window. I truly expect the next Windows operating system to be Windows Xbox.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    And yes, what a step down in terms of titles. Isn't the 'Xbox One' technically the first Xbox? They should have went with some of the other development titles that were constantly rumored.

I have, never since 2005, been more accepting of the name 720. Durango, Infinity, NeXtBox - all of these should have been given more consideration. What, did Bill Gates come in the room, sh*t on the desk, say "We're calling it Xbox One" and then leave the room?
    That Bill Gates bit was hilarious. I just think it's a really terrible name, and it's upsetting to see that out of all of the options, they settled with 'Xbox One.'
    Title seems crap but I like the look of the new xbox.

I don't see what the big deal is. It still plays games (they even said they had 15 exclusives), it just does some cool other stuff now as well.

If you don't want to watch TV or use it for the internet or any of that, then don't. It's that simple. These are optional features, they're not going to force you to go on Skype while you play a game.

Kinect seems improved and it's not going to have always on internet, which is a big plus for me. I'm happy with the Wii U but I might pick one of these up at some point in the future.
    Here is more interesting debate on the Xbox One:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/06/06/microsofts-shortsighted-approach-might-have-already-killed-xbox-one/

It seems Microsoft are AGAIN aiming for the casual consumers through other entertainment avenues like stupid TV gimmicks other than trying to please the core gamers that dominate their market. During each subsequent E3 conference/expo/presentation they focus less and less about the games until you could almost swear that the Xbox isn't even a gaming console at all anymore.

Sony may do some equally stupid things, but at least they are always focusing on gamers and the games themselves first, and have some fantastic titles under their belts being brought about by some talented developers and publishers. That is why I have been a Playstation guy, and always will be.
    Wait wait wait wait wait... The Xbox One plays games?!
    Remember Me was released today, anyone here played it and if so, what did you think? I'll be picking up a copy probably next week, so i'll give my thoughts then.

Also, PS3 exclusive, The Last Of Us is released a week today, IGN have posted their (10/10) review:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/the-last-of-us-review

Sounds like it's going to be some experience.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Sounds pretty crap about the used games but what's wrong with the TV features and all that?

Hate to point this out again but they're optional, it still plays games. It just now has lots of other features that the majority of people (ie- not angry fanboys) would enjoy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Console/dp/B00BE4OUBG

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-4-PS4/dp/B00BE4HOIM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-32GB-Premium-Pack/dp/B008B5YB4W

I was starting to doubt my decision when I found out Fifa 14 wasn't on the Wii U but it looks like I made the right choice after all.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sounds pretty crap about the used games but what's wrong with the TV features and all that?

Hate to point this out again but they're optional, it still plays games. It just now has lots of other features that the majority of people (ie- not angry fanboys) would enjoy.
    The point is, the Xbox is a game console first and foremost, yet Microsoft act like it is second, third or fourth chair in the features of the device. They focus too much on stupid entertainment features and damn motion controlled aspects that gamers couldn't care less about. We just want games!
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Fifa 14 and GTA 5 getting both!