I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The briefing scene in Goldfinger where M and Colonel Smithers brief Bond and show him the gold bar... Bond berates the quality of the brandy and M scold him... seconds later he’s sniffing it. Never really picked up on it before.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Just noticed watching FRWL that when Kleb visits Spectre Island she is taken on a tour of the training area by Morzeny and despite telling him that "her time is limited " he proceeds to walk her round the same area twice.
    It's obviously an editing decision to make the set appear bigger but it makes me chuckle at the thought of them just walking around in circles.

Yes that stands out in that film. You have to hand it to Terrance Young and the talented crew with both DN and FRWL they did so much on a tiny budget. Remember at the time filmmakers would have had no idea that their films would be able to be watched again and again. TV was still in its infancy and no VCR's DVD's or BluRays.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Mallory wrote: »
    The briefing scene in Goldfinger where M and Colonel Smithers brief Bond and show him the gold bar... Bond berates the quality of the brandy and M scold him... seconds later he’s sniffing it. Never really picked up on it before.

Yes then if I am not mistaken he look over at Bond in almost a show of respect or disbelief. :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    thedove wrote: »

Yes then if I am not mistaken he look over at Bond in almost a show of respect or disbelief. :)

M is wondering whether he can tell the quality of the liquid himself, by sniffing it. It's such a funny moment from Bernard Lee.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    NicNac wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »

M is wondering whether he can tell the quality of the liquid himself, by sniffing it. It's such a funny moment from Bernard Lee.

It is, and so much him in character. Love that scene.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,733
    Never noticed until recently that in recreating the film edit of the James Bond theme in Dr. No for the Ultimate Edition remastered audio track, they screwed it up:

Old DVD:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oYw_vVxw8tg&t=1m05s

Ultimate Edition:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=E-IDfoZuQLM&t=1m05s

They used the portion of the theme with the sax on top instead of the part without it, as they should have done.

Edit: That is on top of the shortened crossfade between the Bond theme and the part with the drums.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Never noticed until recently that in recreating the film edit of the James Bond theme in Dr. No for the Ultimate Edition remastered audio track, they screwed it up:

Old DVD:

Ultimate Edition:

They used the portion of the theme with the sax on top instead of the part without it, as they should have done.

But…why? Are the Blu-ray editions the same?

Old DVD:

Ultimate Edition:

Hmm. Actually, being in HD, I think the second video is sourced from the Blu-Ray. I just referred to it Ultimate because the video source for the UE DVDs and the Blu-Rays is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was present in both formats, but I don't know for sure.

As for why, I suppose they just didn't pay enough attention.

Old DVD:

Ultimate Edition:

Hmm. Actually, being in HD, I think the second video is sourced from the Blu-Ray. I just referred to it Ultimate because the video source for the UE DVDs and the Blu-Rays is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was present in both formats, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks! Didn't know the video source for the UE DVDs and the Blu-Rays is the same.

It's annoying when they do stuff like this. Not too obvious of course, but when you notice it or become aware of these things, they're in the back of the head whenever watching the films.

Old DVD:

Ultimate Edition:

Thanks! Didn't know the video source for the UE DVDs and the Blu-Rays is the same.

It's annoying when they do stuff like this. Not too obvious of course, but when you notice it or become aware of these things, they're in the back of the head whenever watching the films.

I agree. That's why I'm less romantic about remastered editions of films. They look much sharper but they have mistakes like these, or they change the color temperature, etc.

Old DVD:

Ultimate Edition:

I agree. That's why I'm less romantic about remastered editions of films. They look much sharper but they have mistakes like these, or they change the color temperature, etc.

I feel the same way, although with the exception of a few films, the remastered editions (on DVD) is all I've got. An improved viewing experience is great, an altered one isn't…
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    An improved viewing experience is great, an altered one isn't…

Supposing the "new" version is the wrong one, rather than the old. How many of us can say with certainty that a given DVD or Blu-ray version is identical, or else different, from what we might have seen in a cinema?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    An improved viewing experience is great, an altered one isn't…

Supposing the "new" version is the wrong one, rather than the old. How many of us can say with certainty that a given DVD or Blu-ray version is identical, or else different, from what we might have seen in a cinema?

That's true, of course.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just read in an interview with Joe Perry (who I could take nor leave) that the great Jimmy Page was said to have played guitar on Shirley Bassey's famous rendition of GOLDFINGER. As much of my life I have spent studying Bond and the roots of Rock 'N' Roll, it astounds me that I ha never gleaned this piece of information before. Of course it makes sense; Page was the most in demand session guitarist in England at the time.

I've read that somewhere as well. Both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones did session music in the early 60's.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,294
    A little piece of continuity I discovered when watching DAF tonight: Blofeld's preference in art didn't change between OHMSS and DAF.
    On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0689.jpg
    On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0615.jpg
    Diamonds-Are-Forever-694.jpg
    Diamonds-Are-Forever-713.jpg
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,469
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just read in an interview with Joe Perry (who I could take nor leave) that the great Jimmy Page was said to have played guitar on Shirley Bassey's famous rendition of GOLDFINGER. As much of my life I have spent studying Bond and the roots of Rock 'N' Roll, it astounds me that I ha never gleaned this piece of information before. Of course it makes sense; Page was the most in demand session guitarist in England at the time.
    Fun to read your post @Birdleson! I didn't know. Being a music lover and former deejay, I had to check it out. Sounds like he may not have played lead though. Wikipedia says "Page recalls attending the sessions, however the session musicians on the Bond films were separately relegated to the instrumental score versions of songs, while the main musicians (on Goldfinger: Vic Flick) were given the main film theme song to solely record, to be featured at the beginning of the film. Leaving Page as a background acoustic contributor to Flick on the instrumental version of the song." That instrumental version can be heard in a video on the thread linked below. Two other web pages I saw said Page played acoustic guitar on the song, while another said he played rhythm. For the life of me I can't hear either...I think they're mixed so low on the track--maybe someone else can hear. Still, great to know he was on it!

Wikipedia also says: "Bassey's title theme was almost taken out of the film because producer Harry Saltzman hated it, saying, "That's the worst *** song I've ever heard in my *** life". Saltzman would also dislike Bassey's subsequent Bond theme, that for Diamonds Are Forever. However, there was not enough time for a replacement song to be written and recorded". And because they recorded the Goldfinger song all night with countless takes because John Barry (composer and apparent producer) wanted it just right, no mistakes, Bassey took off her bra so she could hold the sustained note at the very end of the song. I myself love Bassey's title tunes. For me, Goldfinger the movie wouldn't be the same without her voice and delivery.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/5393/jimmy-page-goldfinger
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    I never noticed that "nip slip" (Pushkin's lover) in TLD, how did they get past the censors with that and with those Russian soldiers showering?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    A little piece of continuity I discovered when watching DAF tonight: Blofeld's preference in art didn't change between OHMSS and DAF.

Seriously, what in the heck is wrong with pictures from Screen Musings? They always break!

Seriously, what in the heck is wrong with pictures from Screen Musings? They always break!

I don't know, I've noticed it several time before. Can you view those I posted above?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 8,697
    I think that generally screenmusings.org don't allow direct links (to a specific picture) but instead insist on referral to their own website. I think we'll have to live with that.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

I don't know, I've noticed it several time before. Can you view those I posted above?

No.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I think that generally screenmusings.org don't allow direct links (to a specific picture) but instead insist on referral to their own website. I think we'll have to live with that.

Probably.

No.

Strange. I can see the images myself.
    My pleasure...Page is one of the greats, isn't he...I should listen to more Led Zep these days.
    Yes @Birdleson, there was some good tension between them, the way I saw it--frenemies? I always enjoyed their scenes. The one in FYEO was great. I especially like the one in TSWLM in Egypt that starts with a bit of a staredown...and is preceded by those nice shots of the temple. Walter Gotell was such a great character actor in the Bond films...and he's been gone from us, wow, just over 20 years now. I also enjoyed reading about the Jimmy Page concerts!
    @Torgeirtrap I cant see the pictures either.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,294
    barryt007 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap I cant see the pictures either.

That's strange! Is it possible to view the image if you right-click and open them in a new tab?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's not part of the film, but I never knew until now that Lewis Gilbert, Broccoli and Saltzman, Ken Adam and DP Freddie Young nearly died before YOLT even began shooting. They were due to head back to the UK from Japan after spending a few weeks location scouting before the film, but cancelled at the last minute after being invited to enjoy a ninja demonstration. 25 minutes after takeoff, the plane they would've been on crashed and killed everyone on board.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's not part of the film, but I never knew until now that Lewis Gilbert, Broccoli and Saltzman, Ken Adam and DP Freddie Young nearly died before YOLT even began shooting. They were due to head back to the UK from Japan after spending a few weeks location scouting before the film, but cancelled at the last minute after being invited to enjoy a ninja demonstration. 25 minutes after takeoff, the plane they would've been on crashed and killed everyone on board.

Yes,i often think about that,just how close we were to losing the Bond Heirachy at the time.
    I hate to think what would have happened if that were the case.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes,i often think about that,just how close we were to losing the Bond Heirachy at the time.
    I hate to think what would have happened if that were the case.

They've had more close calls IIRC, didn't one of the helicopters for FRWL crash as well with Brocolli on board?
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited February 2019 Posts: 544
    The Fly Who Loved Me ;)

D0-Xh0js-W0-AAOPH8.jpg

D0-Xh4mz-W0-AAlx-ZF.png
    Good catch! Allthough I think this little lad did make his due in the animals of Bond threat. Now I know which fly they meant!