No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,686
    The recent Mad Max film is 15 to 25 minutes longer than all 3 Mel Gibson outings. The last 2 M:I films are 20 minutes longer than the original 1996 outing. So even if Mendes' argument had any evidence to it, he pulls numbers out of thin air that contradict his very own argumentation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @mattjoes, I have no problem with someone having a different perspective on Craig Bond's behaviour in SP. Certainly one can always look at art with a differing viewpoints, and that's the beauty of it all.

Regarding the first encounter with Denbigh, the issue I have with it is there is nothing in the screenplay to suggest that Scott is a villain at that point. Yes, we can surmise that he is (he certainly looks like one), but it's just instinct and doesn't necessitate the 'C' (which means something far more offensive than 'careless' when uttered by Bond) line. He just comes across as being crotchety to me, & quite frankly, a prick. The same goes for the 'enzyme shake' line. One may not like the waiter, but he doesn't deserve that kind of response from Bond for merely serving him a drink.

Still, I agree that we can have a different opinion on the same scene.
    ---

@Gustav_Graves, there is certainly a reason for the delay this time around as we know. I believe they are doing development and script work behind the scenes. However, if you're interested in more timely releases going forward, I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be the current opinion of the top brass. Comments from the MGM head, Broccoli and Craig over the years suggest they don't mind a more relaxed release schedule on Bond films.

I agree with @Mendes4Lyfe that there does appear to be a recent (but inconclusive) trend back to shorter run times with some franchises. I'm not sure if audience ADHD or theatre pressure is causing this. I also agree that there does appear to be a subtle shift in tone towards 'lighter'. Either they will come back with an entirely new approach (which is my strong preference after SP) or their essential cautiousness and comfort with Craig will make them come back with one more with him. They have a history of doing one too many with their long running actors, and it remains to be seen whether the tepidly received SP or B25 will be that film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    What year is this? Have I been out of it for a while?
    Why and when did the run time of a movie nessicitate a replacement actor as James Bond.
    Really?

Definitely my favourite in his ever more desperate list of pro-Turner statements.

Presumably he's heading towards the inevitable conclusion that as Poldark episodes are only an hour long Turner has proven himself at being able to deliver over a shorter running time and thus is the only viable candidate for a Bond era of sub 2 hour films?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @NicNac and @Benny are spot-on.

A film's running time ought to be what a film deserves. I wouldn't want to watch a 90 minute cut of GONE WITH THE WIND, or a 220 minute cut of JOHN CARPENTER'S HALLOWEEN.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Would @DarthDimi enjoy a 220 minute cut of 'Kick-Ass' with the extra 2 hours of footage exclusively featuring Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl? ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,967
    @DaltonCraig007 Funnily enough, I wasn't comparing cinema now with the cinema of the 1970's/80's. I'm saying that, year on year, things have been moving towards brevity for the last 3 years in a row. Transformers was longer than SP, but still shorter than previous Transformer entries by some margin, the same case with Pirates. Yes, there are outliers also, like the Guardians franchise etc. But when you see Nolan turning in his latest epic at shorter than Dr No, you know something is happening.

But the run time is only one dimension to it. The point is, the Craig era simply hasn't kept pace with the rest of cinema, and in truth, no Bond era ever does. That's why the first entry in a (successful) tenure always feels like a shot in the arm, and the last always feels tired. Somewhere along the line, the producers become complacent and take their finger off the pulse. We're now faced with a scenario, just like in 2002, where cinema has moved on and its falls on the Bond producers to course correct the franchise. The only difference is whereas the fandom was proudly waving the banner for shaking things up back then, now we're oddly hesitant. What changed, I wonder?
    @Mendes4Lyfe, the shorter runtime theory is inconclusive. Some are shorter (Dunkirk for sure) but others are just as long (WW).

I hear you on the actor tenures losing steam over time. I think it's inevitable. It happened with Connery and with Moore and it has already (imho) happened with Craig. I realize others have a different opinion and they're welcome to it. We will only be able to properly assess in retrospect when we look back on the era with the benefit of hindsight. There is a reason that his first film continues to be his highest ranked on this forum, and why his second is increasingly finding favour with many. 12 years is an awfully long time for any run, irrespective of the number of films put out.
    @DaltonCraig007
    I sure would, my good sir, I sure would. :D
  • fanbond123 wrote: »
    I reckon there will have to be a gap between Purity and Bond 25 with Craig. That's likely to mean a 2019 release date. Having said that, Purity may not happen. The filming start date hasn't been confirmed.

Purity is not happening anytime soon. I doubt there'll be any problem with Craig's schedule concerning Bond 25 and the Showtime TV show.

When Purity was originally announced, Showtime said 10 episodes would be telecast in 2017 and the other 10 in 2018.

Has this changed?
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I reckon there will have to be a gap between Purity and Bond 25 with Craig. That's likely to mean a 2019 release date. Having said that, Purity may not happen. The filming start date hasn't been confirmed.

Purity is not happening anytime soon. I doubt there'll be any problem with Craig's schedule concerning Bond 25 and the Showtime TV show.

When Purity was originally announced, Showtime said 10 episodes would be telecast in 2017 and the other 10 in 2018.

Has this changed?

Daniel Craig is still the only actor confirmed for the series. So now that we are in July 2017 and with no other casting news (thus no filming done), who knows when on earth Purity will be broadcasted, let alone filmed.
    So who's to blame for B25's lack of news stressing out you guys ? :)

Babs
    DC
    MGW
    Sony
    Disney
    Donald Trump :)
    001 wrote: »
    So who's to blame for B25's lack of news stressing out you guys ? :)

Babs
    DC
    MGW
    Sony
    Disney
    Donald Trump :)
    Probably a little of all of the above.
    Harry Saltzman
    Personally I blame Chris Corbould.
    Dennison wrote: »
    Personally I blame Chris Corbould.

Why does everyone pick on Chris all the time ? :)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Has this changed?

'Purity' was never announced as airing in 2017. It will film in 2017, and air over two years starting in 2018.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Has this changed?

'Purity' was never announced as airing in 2017. It will film in 2017, and air over two years starting in 2018.

Could be difficult for Purity to be filmed in 2017.

Has this changed?

Why's that?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I remember reading somewhere production was due to begin around August this year.
    Does he have anything on his plate coming up? After the Halle Berry film (Kings) I thought he was pretty clear, giving him an opportunity to film Purity. I was under the impression Showtime had locked down a 20 episode run.

Has this changed?

Why's that?

How do you film a movie/TV series when you don't have actors?
    I remember reading somewhere production was due to begin around August this year.

Again, without any actors it'll be hard for that to happen. ;)
    Is the source IMDb? They still have Logan associated with B25.

Again, without any actors it'll be hard for that to happen. ;)
    Naah, they'll just say all of them were wearing adaptive camouflage tracksuits. Sort of like that invisible car thingy... Geddit? ;)

:))
    @bondjames IMDB can't be the source when there is no source. ;) Daniel Craig signed on to Purity a year ago, and he is still the only actor to have been confirmed. Unless I was unaware that there is only character in the show.

@ClarkDevlin you silly man! :D

@ClarkDevlin you silly man! :D

I try! :))
    @DaltonCraig007, just because nothing further has been announced doesn't mean something isn't happening behind the scenes.

The alternative is to assume that the project is D.O.A.

Does Scott Rudin still have anything to do with Sony? I wonder if this is tied to them getting the rights to B25.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Well, apparently EON don't have to announce anything, and just unveil the Bond film in December for a 2018 release, so by that same token Purity is on track. ;)
    @bondjames You are totally right, but usually casting news are made concerning any project? Especially for lead roles?
    True, @DaltonCraig007, and I'm not all that knowledgeable on how quickly these projects proceed once ramped up. Presumably they can move forward quite quickly once they finalize timing, but something does seem to be holding it up. I wonder if it's the elusive and very secretive B25 rights.
    There has been the odd mention in the press about filming on 'Purity' but nothing concrete as of yet.

Makes sense to hold off until after the 'Twin Peaks' hype is over.