No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    That tweet there is a load of crap. The only official confirmation of Craig coming back and on B25's production schedule that matters will be made by EON and/or Craig himself.
    Dennison wrote: »
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    So the next Bond film is roughly 15 - 16 months away?

Even on Quantum we had a director announced 17 months before the release, and that turned out on of the most rushed productions yet.

@Mendes4Lyfe Sorry for going a little off topic here but;
    Why was QOS a rushed production? The editing feels rushed (in style) and there was the problem with the writers strike, but overall the production wasn't necessarily rushed or am I forgetting something?
    The production was rushed alright. They started filming it in December 2007 but production was halted for three months if I recall correctly due to quite a number of setbacks, just as they were reluctant to push the release date from May 2008 to October 2008. Definitely production on it was rushed. Much like Tomorrow Never Dies... only that one did it better.

It's amazing how they turned TND out - if I remember rightly they didn't start filming until April 1997? Although it would seem that it was a bit of a fraught production.
    Indeed. TND had a troublesome production period. Even on set.

Yeah and there were other issues such as Barbara apparently hating the director. Production was such a mess that Brosnan has said a few times that he still doesn't even know what the film was supposed to be about. I'm not a big TND fan but it is a solid Bond film. Safe and middle of the road but undeniably solid, and given how difficult it seems it was to make, it's amazing that they were able to pull that off.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    TND is a middling film, but it does have some memorable and exciting moments. I remember reading about the troubles they were having during filming. It got a lot of press. I'll always remember it as the first Bond film when I had an uncomfortable feeling of 'been there, done that'. Bond films had retreaded old ground previously, but they always had a way of making it feel fresh. TND was the first one that had an unwelcome familiarity to some of the sequences, a trend which I've seen repeated since.
    Well thats something positive from Brossa. TND was a mediocre entry with no plot padded out with long tedious action scenes . Wasnt Anthony Hopkins supposed to play Carver but turned it down because the script was a mess. Hell they couldnt even get the title right as it was supposed to be Tomorrow Never Lies, which made some sense!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think the script was a mess. In fact, the original Bond 18 script was a lot better than the final product, in my honest opinion, with the exception of the Doctor Kauffman segment.
    The Doctor Kaufman scene is the only one i like, so we're miles apart! Wasn't there some famous thriller writer involved early on before Bruce Fierstein took over?
    The Kaufmann scene is indeed excellent. A highlight of Brosnan's era. It should have been longer!
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Kaufmann scene is indeed excellent. A highlight of Brosnan's era. It should have been longer!

It's a very witty and tense scene. Well played by both actors - for once Brosnan doesn't overact. For me, his finest scene as Bond.

There wasn't a Doctor Kauffman scene in the original script, that was an addition at the last minute, I think (?). So, replace the Venetian Inspector who appears to "arrest" Bond for the killing of Paris Harmsway with the Kauffman scene, the Bond 18 script would've been a perfection.
    The only downside is that he recovers very quickly from Paris death considering she was supposed to of got "too close"!
    I personally liked it that he recovered at a fast pace. No time to mourn when they're after you. That's why I like the stoic Bond rather than the emotional one.
    He's a bit too cheery playing with his new remote control!
    Well... He's Bond. :))
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    He's a bit too cheery playing with his new remote control!
    I'd have had fun with that too, truth be told.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Please divert the conversation back to B25, thanks.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,187
    Off topic, mates. Better get back to it or the evil king of numbers won't let you play it.
    Ah maybe I'm just an old romantic!!
    Off topic, mates. Better get back to it or the evil king of numbers won't let you play it.
    Psst. He's behind you.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ??
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,575
    MV5BMjE3MTc3ODA5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTg5NDA2MzE@._V1_SX1500_CR0,0,1500,999_AL_.jpg

The 3 stooges who created Spectre? :)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,187
    jake24 wrote: »
    ??
    Just joking mate. Will you please update the timeline or let someone else do it?
    jake24 wrote: »
    ??
    Just joking mate. Will you please update the timeline or let someone else do it?
    No, I got it (in all its sophisticated glory), I was just puzzled as I'm not the one it bothers, but rather it's other people that complain about it.

There wasn't a single item of news in June, which explains why it wasn't updated last month. However, I have all the news items from July saved and I will absolutely have it updated later today. Apologies for the delay. Life has been rather busy as of late.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Does anyone know how reliable a source King is?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Do you think we will hear something official by the end of the year?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Soon after the release of Craig's film, Logan Lucky
  • RC7RC7

Yes.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,837
    As good as he is I'm actually hoping Craig is done. SP was a great ending and imo a fresh start would be a lot more exciting at this point than a continuation of that story. Worst case scenario for me is waiting until 2019 for a revenge driven SP follow up (and I say that as someone who's favourite novel is YOLT). There are more interesting angles they could take on another Craig film but none as exciting as a clean slate and new direction imo. He's been Bond for a very long time now and while it's sad we didn't get one more film from him between QoS and SF, I feel that his era has run its course at this point. I'd be excited for any sort of Bond announcement and if we end up with an amazing finale complete with the garden of death I'll probably end up eating my words here but I think I would prefer a new actor.

I'd like it if they announced a new film with lots of fresh blood in front of and behind the camera. Wishaw can stay though.
    SP's ending was fine, but it wasn't the ending Craig deserved. He needs to come back for one last mission.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    001 wrote: »
    MV5BMjE3MTc3ODA5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTg5NDA2MzE@._V1_SX1500_CR0,0,1500,999_AL_.jpg

The 3 stooges who created Spectre? :)

I don't like Mendes but you know what, I don't blame him per se. I blame EoN. Babs and Mike are the producers and their job, the responsibilities within their remit dictates that they need to enact a duty of care that's been severely lacking post 2006. I don't care all that much about what the Sony leaks did to EoN; mainly because the most damaging thing exposed was their dereliction of duty during the whole preproduction process and they should be rightfully embarrassed. That's on them and its all their fault. They have one job to do; they're not juggling a cinematic universe or are a huve studio producing a plethora of movies. Their one and only job is to make Bond films and well, here we are. Yes, Bond will be back blah blah blah but what's transpired and the current state of things is quite ridiculous.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

We were expecting to hear something official in the spring of 2016 and we're still not even on square one.