No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

As good as he is I'm actually hoping Craig is done. SP was a great ending and imo a fresh start would be a lot more exciting at this point than a continuation of that story. Worst case scenario for me is waiting until 2019 for a revenge driven SP follow up (and I say that as someone who's favourite novel is YOLT). There are more interesting angles they could take on another Craig film but none as exciting as a clean slate and new direction imo. He's been Bond for a very long time now and while it's sad we didn't get one more film from him between QoS and SF, I feel that his era has run its course at this point. I'd be excited for any sort of Bond announcement and if we end up with an amazing finale complete with the garden of death I'll probably end up eating my words here but I think I would prefer a new actor.

I'd like it if they announced a new film with lots of fresh blood in front of and behind the camera. Wishaw can stay though.

I agree that DC should retire as Bond and get a new actor and Director.
    Get Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch CBE for Bond.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 2,115
    re: Bamigboye's story on Purvis & Wade.

That was more than four months ago. Why would anyone assume they have a first draft done? I could see a treatment by now. But a complete first draft?

Logan's hiring for Bond 24 (and 25, though that came undone) was announced in November 2012 on one of the MGM investor calls. He didn't have a first draft until March 2014. Yes, he was juggling other projects but so do Purvis & Wade.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    As good as he is I'm actually hoping Craig is done. SP was a great ending and imo a fresh start would be a lot more exciting at this point than a continuation of that story. Worst case scenario for me is waiting until 2019 for a revenge driven SP follow up (and I say that as someone who's favourite novel is YOLT). There are more interesting angles they could take on another Craig film but none as exciting as a clean slate and new direction imo. He's been Bond for a very long time now and while it's sad we didn't get one more film from him between QoS and SF, I feel that his era has run its course at this point. I'd be excited for any sort of Bond announcement and if we end up with an amazing finale complete with the garden of death I'll probably end up eating my words here but I think I would prefer a new actor.

I can see where you're coming from as the hole they've dug with SP seems very difficult for them to extricate themselves from.

It's hard to see how they can get from where we are now to the set up for YOLT without it seeming like they are treading over very familiar ground (Bond in love and the girl being killed, a miracle escape from prison by the villain). In addition YOLT is a pretty bleak story throughout and I think that particular cinematic trend has probably peaked so whilst personally I'd love to see a full on YOLT adaptation I'm not sure commercially it's as much of a winner as it was 5 years ago.

But then again we've never had more suitable conditions for the garden of death and so a large part of me thinks they should go for it and bollocks to the box office.

• RC7RC7
    re: Bamigboye's story on Purvis & Wade.

That was more than four months ago. Why would anyone assume they have a first draft done? I could see a treatment by now. But a complete first draft?

Logan's hiring for Bond 24 (and 25, though that came undone) was announced in November 2012 on one of the MGM investor calls. He didn't have a first draft until March 2014. Yes, he was juggling other projects but so do Purvis & Wade.

Let's just say this says more about Logan than it does P&W.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'd really like Craig to come back for an all-out final adventure, but if they can't get Bond 25 in theaters until late 2019, then by God can EON please relocate some task-force in the eventual recast for Bond #7 while making Bond 25, because there is no way in hell I want to wait 4 years after SP for Craig's 5th, only to have another 4 years gap to recast and get Bond 26 off the ground.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    SP's ending was fine, but it wasn't the ending Craig deserved. He needs to come back for one last mission.

Was DAF the ending Connery deserved? Was AVTAK the ending Moore deserved? Was DAD the ending Brosnan deserved?

I don't understand how what some see as an unsatisfactory ending to the Craig era necessitates a whole new chapter being bolted onto it, just to end things on a high for this particular actor playing the role. And what leads you to believe that a fifth Craig film would somehow repair the problems?

If Craig had a unwhelming exit, dems the breaks, I'm afraid. It happened to Connery and the others the same. They got bad exits, thats what happens. I don't see whats so particular about Craig that he doesn't deserve this to happen to him, whereas the others did. If anything, he's lucky he saw it through to the end. He earned his millions and won his plaudits just like Connery and Moore. The focus now should be whats best for Bond, not what's best for Craig's Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Right, dump the Bond actor that got you around $2 billion at the box office in the last 2 films. Time to realize every idea you have in this thread would drive the franchise into the ground faster than the Titanic sank.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2017 Posts: 16,330
    This thread today.
    crying-dawson.gif
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    SP's ending was fine, but it wasn't the ending Craig deserved. He needs to come back for one last mission.

Was DAF the ending Connery deserved? Was AVTAK the ending Moore deserved? Was DAD the ending Brosnan deserved?

I don't understand how what some see as an unsatisfactory ending to the Craig era necessitates a whole new chapter being bolted onto it, just to end things on a high for this particular actor playing the role. And what leads you to believe that a fifth Craig film would somehow repair the problems?

If Craig had a unwhelming exit, dems the breaks, I'm afraid. It happened to Connery and the others the same. They got bad exits, thats what happens. I don't see whats so particular about Craig that he doesn't deserve this to happen to him, whereas the others did. If anything, he's lucky he saw it through to the end. He earned his millions and won his plaudits just like Connery and Moore. The focus now should be whats best for Bond, not what's best for Craig's Bond.

And, as if we didn't all know already, I wonder what your suggestion for what's best for Bond could possibly be?
    For the babies that need their milk. Spoil yourself with this and don't come back until the next film is revealed.
    41CY4u-8neL.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I think it goes without saying the Fleming novel adaptations have made the best films. Other than TMWTGG the films stay true to the words and concepts Fleming created. No Surprise that TMWTGG faced it's criticism at the time.

With the arguable exception of Goldeneye in Modern Bond terms, most stories have lacked real imagination, been over zealous and far fetched (invisible cars, Blofeld being Bonds brorther) or carried large plot holes.

The simple truth is you can not polish a turd. If you do not start with a solid written piece and a cast iron screen play then you don't have much of a chance of delivering a top film. This re-writing scripts during filming just leads to mass story holes and contradictions. I appreciate what Mendes tried to do on Skyfall and Spectre, however they were self indulgent. I find it entirely shocking that during production and even in to filming they decided to add further input from Jez Butterworth. Filming should not commence until you have a solid story and the dialog and balance is right. Martin Campbell is fortunate enough to have experienced both worlds, adapting Fleming and working with a Non Fleming script so it can be done. It is imperative EON stave off any Studio time pressure to rush to Production until the above is ready in order to get a solid film.

Yes, in general. And part of this is because the films were set in the era they needed to be: the Cold War.

I thought CR did a masterful job of resetting the story in a post 9/11 environment.

There is always talk of where Bond should go...I contend that placing Bond in the late 50s/early 60s and leaving him there is the way to go after DC leaves. Imagine Nolan directing Hardy in a Bond film set ca. 1958, with the cars, the music, the London of that period? yeah, I am salivating over those prospects.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »
    crying-dawson.gif

Funnily enough, this is exactly what comes to mind whenever I see someone say "SPECTRE wasn't the ending Craig deserved."
    Well it wasn't. I and many of us want him to have another Bond film.
    crying-dawson.gif

Funnily enough, this is exactly what comes to mind whenever I see someone say "SPECTRE wasn't the ending Craig deserved."

That's funny :) and you're right.

NOW GET CUCUMBERBATCH BABS...........He's a much better actor than DC.
    Right, dump the Bond actor that got you around $2 billion at the box office in the last 2 films. Time to realize every idea you have in this thread would drive the franchise into the ground faster than the Titanic sank.

I don't see the rationale here.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I think it goes without saying the Fleming novel adaptations have made the best films. Other than TMWTGG the films stay true to the words and concepts Fleming created. No Surprise that TMWTGG faced it's criticism at the time.

With the arguable exception of Goldeneye in Modern Bond terms, most stories have lacked real imagination, been over zealous and far fetched (invisible cars, Blofeld being Bonds brorther) or carried large plot holes.

The simple truth is you can not polish a turd. If you do not start with a solid written piece and a cast iron screen play then you don't have much of a chance of delivering a top film. This re-writing scripts during filming just leads to mass story holes and contradictions. I appreciate what Mendes tried to do on Skyfall and Spectre, however they were self indulgent. I find it entirely shocking that during production and even in to filming they decided to add further input from Jez Butterworth. Filming should not commence until you have a solid story and the dialog and balance is right. Martin Campbell is fortunate enough to have experienced both worlds, adapting Fleming and working with a Non Fleming script so it can be done. It is imperative EON stave off any Studio time pressure to rush to Production until the above is ready in order to get a solid film.

Yes, in general. And part of this is because the films were set in the era they needed to be: the Cold War.

I thought CR did a masterful job of resetting the story in a post 9/11 environment.

There is always talk of where Bond should go...I contend that placing Bond in the late 50s/early 60s and leaving him there is the way to go after DC leaves. Imagine Nolan directing Hardy in a Bond film set ca. 1958, with the cars, the music, the London of that period? yeah, I am salivating over those prospects.

You are indeed a very frightening fellow.
    001 wrote: »
    crying-dawson.gif

That's funny :) and you're right.

NOW GET CUCUMBERBATCH BABS...........He's a much better actor than DC.

Is he? I see him as just as much a one trick pony as Craig.

What don't you understand this time?

What don't you understand this time?

Never mind.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For the babies that need their milk. Spoil yourself with this and don't come back until the next film is revealed.
    41CY4u-8neL.jpg

But you don't understand, @Murdock. We're the internet people. We want product and we don't care if it's any good. We download games, play two levels, then download other games. We post half a sentence on facebook and expect to receive 200 likes for it. No sooner will we past the next half of a sentence... at least within the next 90 seconds. And we'll constantly refresh the page because, hey, why would you actually do something useful? Those Bond films? We've seen them already. Been there. We need something new or else we won't sleep well at night. Surely you're not still using that phone you bought last Chistmas? The was model 7.5; they put out model 7.5X now. You're yesterday's news, man. So if the producers don't announce the next Bond film soon, I'm either going to cry like Justin Bieber when Orlando Bloom punched him in the face, or I'm going to start paying attention to rumours on the internet. Fake news is better than no news at all, right?

Who the hell cares about 24 excellent Bond films when it could be 25? Huh? When . It . Could . Be . 25??? See, now you got me crying. I feel deserted by Barbara Broccoli. "Babs" doesn't care about us, Bond fans, no sir, because she would have given us way more Bond films by now if she did. I mean, she should take lessons from Disney. They deliver up to three Avengers films per year! That's how you do it. Same with Star Wars. Lucas was a loser for spending three years making Empire. And Cameron? What a fag. How long has he been making that Avatar sequel? Look, let's just forget Kubrick and Mann and Nolan altogether. If you can't deliver one film every four months, you have no business calling yourself a filmmaker.

So yeah, "Babs"... What is she doing in this business anyway! She's been pushing for that black, gay, female Bond for decades. It's all over the internet so it must be true! I mean, it's never happened despite her 2.5 decades of producing but that's not important. Putting things together requires brains and we lack that because we need facebook to tell us how great we are and Rotten Tomatoes to give us an opinion on a film. So I believe everything they say about "Babs" and how much she hates us, her kind fans, by not showering us with more Bond films, Bond spinoffs and Bond crossovers.

Keep your DVD or BR collection, @Murdock. A View To A What? I want a NEW Bond film, now! Because I only have 15 films to look forward to in the next 2 months. Be reasonable man, that's not at all enough.
    @DarthDimi, I'm not getting any younger but I've learned one critical manner that many lack. "Patience" In fact all this groveling and whining for more Bond only makes it worse. I don't have time for this tomfoolery. ;)
    original.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    41CY4u-8neL.jpg

But you don't understand, @Murdock. We're the internet people. We want product and we don't care if it's any good. We download games, play two levels, then download other games. We post half a sentence on facebook and expect to receive 200 likes for it. No sooner will we past the next half of a sentence... at least within the next 90 seconds. And we'll constantly refresh the page because, hey, why would you actually do something useful? Those Bond films? We've seen them already. Been there. We need something new or else we won't sleep well at night. Surely you're not still using that phone you bought last Chistmas? The was model 7.5; they put out model 7.5X now. You're yesterday's news, man. So if the producers don't announce the next Bond film soon, I'm either going to cry like Justin Bieber when Orlando Bloom punched him in the face, or I'm going to start paying attention to rumours on the internet. Fake news is better than no news at all, right?

Who the hell cares about 24 excellent Bond films when it could be 25? Huh? When . It . Could . Be . 25??? See, now you got me crying. I feel deserted by Barbara Broccoli. "Babs" doesn't care about us, Bond fans, no sir, because she would have given us way more Bond films by now if she did. I mean, she should take lessons from Disney. They deliver up to three Avengers films per year! That's how you do it. Same with Star Wars. Lucas was a loser for spending three years making Empire. And Cameron? What a fag. How long has he been making that Avatar sequel? Look, let's just forget Kubrick and Mann and Nolan altogether. If you can't deliver one film every four months, you have no business calling yourself a filmmaker.

So yeah, "Babs"... What is she doing in this business anyway! She's been pushing for that black, gay, female Bond for decades. It's all over the internet so it must be true! I mean, it's never happened despite her 2.5 decades of producing but that's not important. Putting things together requires brains and we lack that because we need facebook to tell us how great we are and Rotten Tomatoes to give us an opinion on a film. So I believe everything they say about "Babs" and how much she hates us, her kind fans, by not showering us with more Bond films, Bond spinoffs and Bond crossovers.

Keep your DVD or BR collection, @Murdock. A View To A What? I want a NEW Bond film, now! Because I only have 15 films to look forward to in the next 2 months. Be reasonable man, that's not at all enough.

Keep Calm and watch DR NO. The Doctor will see you now. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

+1. You beat me to it. What's good for Craig should be the last thing on anyone's mind. This is not the Daniel Craig Show. This is James Bond. If SP is his last, he would have had a far better exit than Moore or Connery. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's only a shambles in comparison to his first three, and in a strange way the entire 'let's hastily wrap this era up with a silly connected story' angle makes more sense if it's his last.

There was a poster on the old 'leaks thread' who claimed to know Mendes. He postulated prior to SP's release that Craig and Mendes both set things up so that it would be very difficult for him to return. I'm beginning to believe it.

Craig strikes me like Michael Corleone. I'm pretty sure he wants out, but Babs has relied on him (and Mendes) for so long that I'm concerned about them being rudderless after these two exit.
  • RC7RC7

I maintain this is the worst idea possible and I'm 99.9% convinced EON would never entertain it. Kiss goodbye to Bond if this ever happens. He's a man of the moment, that's his appeal. I don't get what's so hard to grasp about that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »

I maintain this is the worst idea possible and I'm 99.9% convinced EON would never entertain it. Kiss goodbye to Bond if this ever happens. He's a man of the moment, that's his appeal. I don't get what's so hard to grasp about that.
    +1
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    41CY4u-8neL.jpg

Great post, but I think your 'flogging a dead horse' there, mate.....
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    What a beautiful discussion we're having.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Flogging a dead horse indeed.
    Actually it's only a few, always the same people, moaning and stamping their feet. I feel, most here have enough common sense to see the sense in what you say, Dimi. Maybe by stopping to argue with Mendes and co would correct the impression we are flocking a dead horse.

The issue is that Craig's tenure has been rather disappointing. Craig is a fantastic bond, his preformances in casino royale and spectre in particular are excellent, however he has been let down by production issues/ poor scriptwriting etc. Royale did its thing very well, quantum was very disappointing, Skyfall did world weary/ old bond well, spectre was a poor attempt at classic yolt/ tswlm esque bond which fell flat due to the infusion of unjustified drama/ personal story. I consider Craig's preformance as in sp to be one of the best of "classic bond", and think it would be a shame if we never get a bond film which truly matches it in his tenure.