No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,961
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    First of all SP didn't feel like a first part to a story.
    Secondly no villain has ever reprised his role (actor).
    No Bond girl has ever been used twice.
    Mrs Trench doesn't count.
    Even if Craig returns, what I hope, it will be a single mission with no personal stuff as there is nothing left to tell unless Bond25 will be an episode of Grey's Anatomy :))

Trench does count. How does she not? Why do you get to choose who counts or who doesn't? WTH?

And what about Mr. White? Wasn't he played by the same actor, I dunno, THREE TIMES?!?!

Somewhere Robbie Coltrane is weeping.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I think Jason meant the main villain. Kiel, Coltrane, and Mr. White have all reprised villain roles yes.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Can someone answer me this? If work has already begun on the next movie such as location scouting, and real-world threats wouldn't you think they already have an idea as to who their Bond is going to be? (Craig or someone else).

I'm wondering if maybe they already have an idea as to whether or not Craig is returning & we just don't know it yet.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    jake24 wrote: »
    Here's is the collection of news items for Bond 25 as of February 2016:
    February 2015
    -Rumors spark that Spectre and Bond 25 will share a two story arc, according to a report from Film Divider. Speculation suggests that Léa Seydoux and Christoph Waltz have signed on to reprise their roles, though the accuracy of these rumors is questioned
    June 2015
    -Variety reports that the distribution rights for the Bond franchise will be up for grabs following Spectre's release and Sony's departure from the series, and lists Warner Bros. as a viable candidate due to their recent partnerships with MGM on films such as the Hobbit franchise and the upcoming "Creed"
    July 2015
    -Sam Mendes reveals he will not direct any more Bonds after Spectre, making it unlikely for Bond 25 to be a direct sequel to its predecessor
    August 2015
    -Daniel Craig confirms in an interview he has no plans for the next 2 years, but is considering some theater work in NY, opening up the possibility for another 3 year gap
    September 2015
    -When asked in an interview for Esquire whether he'd be open to doing a 5th film in his tenure, Craig responds with, "At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.”
    October 2015
    -Daniel Craig hints in numerous interviews that he'll likely return for Bond 25, but is quoted as 'needing a break.'
    -A questionable rumour from Express.co.uk suggests that the series' 25th entry will be a period film, with it being set in the 60s
    -Spectre's ending sets us up for a return of a few key cast members
    November 2015
    -Following Spectre's critical success, Sam Mendes doesn't rule out making his Bond helm a trilogy
    -Craig more or less confirms he will be back for Bond 25, saying he is 'not gone yet.'
    -In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, producer Michael G. Wilson confirms that a new distributor for the franchise will be chosen sometime near February 2016; also reconfirms a likely return for Craig
    -Michael G. Wilson hints at another 3 year gap
    -Producer Barbara Broccoli reveals development on B25 could begin sometime near Spring 2016
    -Léa Seydoux admits to the press she has not been asked to return for B25, but would love to if given the opportunity
    -Daniel Craig is announced to play Iago alongside David Oyelowo in the upcoming "Othello" in 2016, which may interfere with his role in the development of B25
    December 2015
    -The Mirror stirs rumours that director Guy Ritchie of The Man from UNCLE fame has been tipped to helm Bond 25, after the producers allegedly enjoyed the film
    January 2016
    -According to reports, Christoph Waltz has signed on to reprise his role as Ernst Stavro Blofeld for two more consecutive Bond films, as long as Craig returns as Bond
    -Multiple tabloids claim a similar story in which the producers have offered Daniel Craig to film both Bond 25 and 26 back to back, due to his requests for time off
    -While on the Graham Norton show, Ralph Fiennes revealed he will return for another and possibly penultimate time as Bond's boss
    February 2016
    -Daniel Craig is reported to star in a Todd Field directed limited series adaptation of Jonathan Franzen's Purity
    -Daniel Craig's reps confirm he is not "quitting" the role of Bond, despite reports from The Sun that claim otherwise
    -Associate producer Gregg Wilson states that creative work for B25 has yet to begin, but that as far as he is concerned, Craig is still Bond
    -In another likely attempt to stir rumors, The Sun reports that both EoN and MGM are desperate to keep Craig in the role, and are willing to delay B25 to accommodate for his involvements in other plans
    -Actor Mark Strong, a close friend of Daniel Craig, is quoted as saying he thinks Craig is done with the role
    -The producers are reportedly eyeing Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik, as a filming location for B25 according to Croatian newspaper Croatia Week, after franchises like Game of Thrones and Star Wars had filmed in the country

Reading through all this, and taking the combined intent of the news here, it's obvious Craig and all the secondary players, including M, Q, Moneypenny and Blofeld, are coming back for at least one more, maybe two. It's happening. Done and done.

Hope you're right!

• peterpeter Toronto
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Here's is the collection of news items for Bond 25 as of February 2016:
    February 2015
    -Rumors spark that Spectre and Bond 25 will share a two story arc, according to a report from Film Divider. Speculation suggests that Léa Seydoux and Christoph Waltz have signed on to reprise their roles, though the accuracy of these rumors is questioned
    June 2015
    -Variety reports that the distribution rights for the Bond franchise will be up for grabs following Spectre's release and Sony's departure from the series, and lists Warner Bros. as a viable candidate due to their recent partnerships with MGM on films such as the Hobbit franchise and the upcoming "Creed"
    July 2015
    -Sam Mendes reveals he will not direct any more Bonds after Spectre, making it unlikely for Bond 25 to be a direct sequel to its predecessor
    August 2015
    -Daniel Craig confirms in an interview he has no plans for the next 2 years, but is considering some theater work in NY, opening up the possibility for another 3 year gap
    September 2015
    -When asked in an interview for Esquire whether he'd be open to doing a 5th film in his tenure, Craig responds with, "At this moment, no. I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit. But we’ll see.”
    October 2015
    -Daniel Craig hints in numerous interviews that he'll likely return for Bond 25, but is quoted as 'needing a break.'
    -A questionable rumour from Express.co.uk suggests that the series' 25th entry will be a period film, with it being set in the 60s
    -Spectre's ending sets us up for a return of a few key cast members
    November 2015
    -Following Spectre's critical success, Sam Mendes doesn't rule out making his Bond helm a trilogy
    -Craig more or less confirms he will be back for Bond 25, saying he is 'not gone yet.'
    -In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, producer Michael G. Wilson confirms that a new distributor for the franchise will be chosen sometime near February 2016; also reconfirms a likely return for Craig
    -Michael G. Wilson hints at another 3 year gap
    -Producer Barbara Broccoli reveals development on B25 could begin sometime near Spring 2016
    -Léa Seydoux admits to the press she has not been asked to return for B25, but would love to if given the opportunity
    -Daniel Craig is announced to play Iago alongside David Oyelowo in the upcoming "Othello" in 2016, which may interfere with his role in the development of B25
    December 2015
    -The Mirror stirs rumours that director Guy Ritchie of The Man from UNCLE fame has been tipped to helm Bond 25, after the producers allegedly enjoyed the film
    January 2016
    -According to reports, Christoph Waltz has signed on to reprise his role as Ernst Stavro Blofeld for two more consecutive Bond films, as long as Craig returns as Bond
    -Multiple tabloids claim a similar story in which the producers have offered Daniel Craig to film both Bond 25 and 26 back to back, due to his requests for time off
    -While on the Graham Norton show, Ralph Fiennes revealed he will return for another and possibly penultimate time as Bond's boss
    February 2016
    -Daniel Craig is reported to star in a Todd Field directed limited series adaptation of Jonathan Franzen's Purity
    -Daniel Craig's reps confirm he is not "quitting" the role of Bond, despite reports from The Sun that claim otherwise
    -Associate producer Gregg Wilson states that creative work for B25 has yet to begin, but that as far as he is concerned, Craig is still Bond
    -In another likely attempt to stir rumors, The Sun reports that both EoN and MGM are desperate to keep Craig in the role, and are willing to delay B25 to accommodate for his involvements in other plans
    -Actor Mark Strong, a close friend of Daniel Craig, is quoted as saying he thinks Craig is done with the role
    -The producers are reportedly eyeing Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik, as a filming location for B25 according to Croatian newspaper Croatia Week, after franchises like Game of Thrones and Star Wars had filmed in the country

Reading through all this, and taking the combined intent of the news here, it's obvious Craig and all the secondary players, including M, Q, Moneypenny and Blofeld, are coming back for at least one more, maybe two. It's happening. Done and done.

Hope you're right!

I second that
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I think Jason meant the main villain. Kiel, Coltrane, and Mr. White have all reprised villain roles yes.

Yes of course I meant the main villain :)
    Mrs Trench was but one minute in FRWL @The_Reaper
    So Swann can come back to have picknick with James.

@echo do you consider Valentin a villain??
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Can someone answer me this? If work has already begun on the next movie such as location scouting, and real-world threats wouldn't you think they already have an idea as to who their Bond is going to be? (Craig or someone else).

I'm wondering if maybe they already have an idea as to whether or not Craig is returning & we just don't know it yet.

Probably they do have an idea. Certainly more of an idea than we do.

However, even if they don't they will now be developing their ideas for a plot. They always start by looking at major news events and working out an idea for the villain's motivation. They don't need to know the Bond actor for that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If SP had made a billion like SF, they would have dragged both Mendes and Craig back to finish the story with one final film. However, given SP has had a cooler reception, carrying on might not be the best idea, and EON sees it. Now there Is the distinct possibility that EON cuts its losses, treats SP as the Craig send off film and goes back to basics. I am almost certain that they want to finish this era off before it becomes stale, so they don't have to work so hard to reboot the franchise with the new actor.

There is another possibility however. It's very possible, almost likely that EON will Jetson Craig now, whilst Martin Campbell is still young enough to return and complete his trilogy. If there is anyone that EON knows can start off a actors Bond career on a high, its Campbell. Holding onto Craig for another film or two might leave it too late for Martin to kick start the franchise one last time. He would be in his eighties after all.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Sorry to squatter your dreams, but he will be 74, when they could possibly start and that is way too old already. Bond is a beast and he knows it and THEY know it. They need someone with the energy capacity of a much younger man.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea, I don't see Campbell wanting to return regardless of age. Not sure the real reason why but sadly I don't think he ever will.
    Mad Max is also a beast, and George Miller did a good job with that at 71.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Age is no guarantee of efficiency.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,079
    Age is no guarantee of efficiency.

And youth is no guarantee of innovation.
    71 is not 74 to begin with. You are very insistent, are you?
    No, I agree. 71 fine, 74 way too old. ;)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,601

It IS indeed a difference. In that age, a couple of years CAN make a big difference.

And 71 is doable for some, not for others. Campbell hasn't done anything significant apart from GL in the past years. TV and now Jackie Chan.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE him. What he did with CR was magnificant. But to think, he can repeat it 12 years later, is...
    Germanlady wrote: »

It IS indeed a difference. In that age, a couple of years CAN make a big difference.

And 71 is doable for some, not for others. Campbell hasn't done anything significant apart from GL in the past years. TV and now Jackie Chan.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE him. What he did with CR was magnificant. But to think, he can repeat it 12 years later, is...
    A distinct thought

I think right now we can believe at least 5 things (which I would say are all plausible)

1. Bond 25 will happen eventually. Spectre is not the final bond film James bond will return

2. The film will likely come out November 2018. While I want a two year turn around I just don't see it happening and I am fine with the three years between films as honestly we haven't run out of things to talk about here

3. Craig Fiennes Wishaw Harris Waltz and Seadoux will all likely return based on the finale of Spectre they will all likely come back for Bond 25 (had they toned down the Roger moore esque humor and Developed the plot a bit more Spectre could of been top 10 for me at least heck if they toned down the humor spectre would be at number 11 instead of 15) I think Craig after taking a year to rest will announce he will come back clearly the producers are willing to do what it takes to keep him not unlike Roger Moore and Craig will be around for at least one more film (though honestly I would love for him to come back for 2)

4. Mendes Logan and Newman all won't return. Mendes has said all he can possibly say about the family dynamics in bond and there is nothing more he can say. Logan wrote two train wreck scripts and Newman was Mendes' compser all won't be back for bond 25

5. Jez Butterworth I believe will be back and is more then likely discussing ideas with the producers. Greg talked about trying to find the next real world threat my guess is Jez is sticking around and working with the producers on that. as for Purvis and Wade I don't think they will be back my guess honestly is it will be Jez and possible a second writer. Perhaps Peter Morgan?

these are all I feel 99% on and that they are safe bets.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »

A distinct thought

I think right now we can believe at least 5 things (which I would say are all plausible)

1. Bond 25 will happen eventually. Spectre is not the final bond film James bond will return

2. The film will likely come out November 2018. While I want a two year turn around I just don't see it happening and I am fine with the three years between films as honestly we haven't run out of things to talk about here

3. Craig Fiennes Wishaw Harris Waltz and Seadoux will all likely return based on the finale of Spectre they will all likely come back for Bond 25 (had they toned down the Roger moore esque humor and Developed the plot a bit more Spectre could of been top 10 for me at least heck if they toned down the humor spectre would be at number 11 instead of 15) I think Craig after taking a year to rest will announce he will come back clearly the producers are willing to do what it takes to keep him not unlike Roger Moore and Craig will be around for at least one more film (though honestly I would love for him to come back for 2)

4. Mendes Logan and Newman all won't return. Mendes has said all he can possibly say about the family dynamics in bond and there is nothing more he can say. Logan wrote two train wreck scripts and Newman was Mendes' compser all won't be back for bond 25

5. Jez Butterworth I believe will be back and is more then likely discussing ideas with the producers. Greg talked about trying to find the next real world threat my guess is Jez is sticking around and working with the producers on that. as for Purvis and Wade I don't think they will be back my guess honestly is it will be Jez and possible a second writer. Perhaps Peter Morgan?

these are all I feel 99% on and that they are safe bets.

I would say only point 1 is a safe bet. The rest are conjecture.
    I hate that "the next real world threat" comment they made. Bond is about escapism, not social commentary. I don't like that they feel they have to wait around for some new pressing issue before they have the basis for a story. Just give us a thrilling, engaging plot, that's all I'm worried about.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

Off-topic:
    I have to ask because I see this all the time in you're posts. Why are you capitalizing words? I think it's perfectly readable without it and makes me wonder whether you think some can't read...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I hate that "the next real world threat" comment they made. Bond is about escapism, not social commentary. I don't like that they feel they have to wait around for some new pressing issue before they have the basis for a story. Just give us a thrilling, engaging plot, that's all I'm worried about.
    When I've read that, this scene particularly came to mind! :))
  • RC7RC7

They've always worked in this way. If you work back, all the films, to varying degrees, tend to have some real world relevance whether it's political, environmental, economical, technological... they aren't waiting for an idea, they're trying to give whatever story they tell some substance.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly, they'll have no shortage of " real world threats" to chose from :(
    Jeffrey wrote: »

Off-topic:
    I have to ask because I see this all the time in you're posts. Why are you capitalizing words? I think it's perfectly readable without it and makes me wonder whether you think some can't read...

Yeah, a mystic thing that. Maybe think about it again and answer the question yourself.
    Even if Mendes doesn't come back. I can still see the producers bringing back Newman. Mendes doesn't have to be there for Newman to be there.

If Newman doesn't comeback I don't see them bringing back David Arnold. I think EON has finished with him
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    EON has made unusual choices too many often than I can count. Neither of us know whether Newman will come back or not, or whether they'll bring back Arnold.

From what I know, Newman isn't much of a Bond fan according to a few statements he made that hinted such a conclusion.

My bet? He won't come back.

But, you never know.
    I always assumed, Mendes uses Newman for his films ?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Newman was hired because he's a long time collaborator of Sam Mendes. They have no reason to hire him back, especially given the lackluster reception his scoring received from fans. That said, I would love if Arnold returned.
    Me Too, I love David Arnold's work, in fact I think his score for QOS was
    his best yet. :)
    Me Too, I love David Arnold's work, in fact I think his score for QOS was
    his best yet. :)
    Agreed. In fact his skills improved with each film IMO.