No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Hopefully this doesn't mean they're going to wait years for Craig to make a decision about his role...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hopefully this doesn't mean they're going to wait years for Craig to make a decision about his role...
    I doubt they will. He will have to make up his mind quite soon I would think. There is a business to run and money to be made and I think he was given until sometime early this year to make a decision. Most likely his answer will be needed in order to expedite and manage the studio discussion because I don't think anyone wants to make such large decisions in a vacuum without knowing who the Bond actor will be. The two most probably are interlinked.
    my guess is the producers are meeting with people like Aidan turner in case Craig doesn't come back but the script will be written with him in mind (similar to really the last 3 Moore films FYEO-AVTAK)
    bondjames wrote: »
    I doubt they will. He will have to make up his mind quite soon I would think. There is a business to run and money to be made and I think he was given until sometime early this year to make a decision. Most likely his answer will be needed in order to expedite and manage the studio discussion because I don't think anyone wants to make such large decisions in a vacuum without knowing who the Bond actor will be. The two most probably are interlinked.

Which is probably why we've not heard anything on a new distributor, even though that was expected to be announced in February. Which leads me to think that the longer it drags on the less likely it is that Craig is returning.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Thanks for posting that, @Red_Snow.
    @Tanaka123 Although the distributor was meant to be chosen in February, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be announced anytime soon.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Which is probably why we've not heard anything on a new distributor, even though that was expected to be announced in February. Which leads me to think that the longer it drags on the less likely it is that Craig is returning.
    I agree, and this lends itself to Mark Strong's comments about higher powers etc.

I believe Craig probably wants more time to come to a decision, but business priorities (multi $million worth of decisions and implications) will put pressure on him, and I don't think he's the kind of chap who likes to make this kind of decision in that fashion.
    I do not believe Waltz has a 3 picture deal? Maybe 2 assuming DC returns for Bond 25 which i hope he does! :-bd
    There was a tabloid report that he would sign on for 2 more if DC was doing them, with Spectre that would make 3 films. How true any of that is is anyone's guess.
    I could believe that Waltz has a three picture deal, although I would certainly imagine that there's a clause in there that gives him an out if Craig were to leave the franchise. That's what it sounds like, anyway, just guessing from the evidence that we have seen thus far.

I agree, and this lends itself to Mark Strong's comments about higher powers etc.

I believe Craig probably wants more time to come to a decision, but business priorities (multi $million worth of decisions and implications) will put pressure on him, and I don't think he's the kind of chap who likes to make this kind of decision in that fashion.

On the other hand, it could just be the distributing deal itself holding things up and maybe Craig's involvement will be announced alongside the announcement of a new distributor.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    From Empire Online:

After all the anticipation, Spectre has been and gone, and the internet rumour-mill now turns to the nascent Bond 25. Still officially the incumbent James Bond, Daniel Craig hasn't committed himself to returning, and it's possible to read the final scenes of Spectre as his bidding farewell to the role. And according to director Sam Mendes, there may be something in that.

"It did feel to me like Daniel was saying goodbye to Bond at the end", Mendes told Empire at the awards last night, "but there’s clearly a way he can easily come back. Bond isn’t dead! So that’s clearly Daniel’s call. But I think you’ve got to feel 100% to come back, and I think he knows that. He needs to have a break and do another role and see how he feels after that. I’ll be watching with as much interest as you guys."

Much was made last year of Craig appearing to say he'd rather slash his wrists than play Bond again. But his words were taken slightly out of context; he was talking about his exhaustion with the role having just finished a gruelling shoot. He didn't necessarily mean forever. So Mendes' words here leave us more or less in the same place, while confirming that Craig has been consciously given an out should he decide to take it.

Development on Bond 25 begins imminently. No cast, director or screenwriters have yet been announced, although Christoph Waltz' Bond contract was reportedly for three films.

This seems to suggest to me that Mendes ceratinly isn't going to be involved with Bond 25 - I’ll be watching with as much interest as you guys - puts himself as outsider looking in.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That Empire article was the first one I've read in ages that put Dan's wrist slashing comments in the proper context. A breath of fresh air, that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That Empire article was the first one I've read in ages that put Dan's wrist slashing comments in the proper context. A breath of fresh air, that.
    I couldn't agree more. Empire always seemed to have an ongoing respect for Bond and the people affiliated with it.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Empire always seemed to have an ongoing respect for Bond and the people affiliated with it.
    I was thinking that as well. However, they will remain by far in the minority, and that is an issue. Regrettably, sensationalism wins in the press, not context.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    When is this bumper Craig/distributor announcement going to take place?! This is driving me balmy! ~X(
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    From Empire Online:

After all the anticipation, Spectre has been and gone, and the internet rumour-mill now turns to the nascent Bond 25. Still officially the incumbent James Bond, Daniel Craig hasn't committed himself to returning, and it's possible to read the final scenes of Spectre as his bidding farewell to the role. And according to director Sam Mendes, there may be something in that.

"It did feel to me like Daniel was saying goodbye to Bond at the end", Mendes told Empire at the awards last night, "but there’s clearly a way he can easily come back. Bond isn’t dead! So that’s clearly Daniel’s call. But I think you’ve got to feel 100% to come back, and I think he knows that. He needs to have a break and do another role and see how he feels after that. I’ll be watching with as much interest as you guys."

Much was made last year of Craig appearing to say he'd rather slash his wrists than play Bond again. But his words were taken slightly out of context; he was talking about his exhaustion with the role having just finished a gruelling shoot. He didn't necessarily mean forever. So Mendes' words here leave us more or less in the same place, while confirming that Craig has been consciously given an out should he decide to take it.

Development on Bond 25 begins imminently. No cast, director or screenwriters have yet been announced, although Christoph Waltz' Bond contract was reportedly for three films.

This seems to suggest to me that Mendes ceratinly isn't going to be involved with Bond 25 - I’ll be watching with as much interest as you guys - puts himself as outsider looking in.

Thank God!!~ I've never not wanted a director to return this much since John Glen.

Difference being I actually like and admire Mendes as a director ..just not anymore Bond films for him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I really hope a decision is finalized relatively soon - either Craig decides to return or not - and they don't pull another Mendes by waiting another year or so for him to change his mind or be available, now that he has the upcoming TV show he's working on, on top of his Broadway work.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I really hope a decision is finalized relatively soon - either Craig decides to return or not - and they don't pull another Mendes by waiting another year or so for him to change his mind or be available, now that he has the upcoming TV show he's working on, on top of his Broadway work.

And his work as a UN Ambassador.

My patience runs thin with Craig. He's been great but seriously he got paid north of 30 million or so for Spectre. Decide or leave. And either way quit whining.
    His relationship with the Bond people isnt one, that wouldnt take the well being of the franchise into consideration first. So imo, whatever might delay any announcement wont be him.

Mendes, do we need to send tranquillizers over? What will happen with you if Turner doesnt make the cut?
    Germanlady wrote: »
    His relationship with the Bond people isnt one, that wouldnt take the well being of the franchise into consideration first. So imo, whatever might delay any announcement wont be him.

Mendes, do we need to send tranquillizers over? What will happen with you if Turner doesnt make the cut?

The waiting is the hardest part.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I want a fresh start. New director, new writers, a new Bond and only the thread of a continuity. Keep a couple of supporting cast members, that's it.

I would be 1,000% okay with this. Brilliant idea.
    I a fresh start. New director, new writers, a new Bond and only the thread of a continuity. Keep a couple of supporting cast members, that's it.

Yes, and a renewed focus on spying/suspense/intrigue as apposed to action.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I a fresh start. New director, new writers, a new Bond and only the thread of a continuity. Keep a couple of supporting cast members, that's it.

I agree too, but as I mentioned somewhere else, this is actually far more likely with a new team and a new actor. Bond actor tenures tend to get more outlandish over time historically (Moore being the exception with FYEO only because he stayed on so long - that film was actually written originally with his successor in mind). It's normally only with a new actor that we tend to go back to a more stripped down and suspense oriented thriller.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I want a fresh start. New director, new writers, a new Bond and only the thread of a continuity. Keep a couple of supporting cast members, that's it.

These are the 2 foremost important things for me going forward. It's all well and good having Craig return or getting a new actor but all that counts for nothing if we don't have an excellent script or a director to bring the needed execution the production needs.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I fear they may have forgotten how to do that by now.
    I want one more with Craig, just to know for sure going in it's his last one. If he left now it would feel unfulfilled to me. One more time in the tux and state emphatically this is it and I'm happy. If not, oh well. We will get another Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford and Spielberg, plus Spidey's back with Marvel where he belongs so I'm pretty happy as it is. :-bd
    doubleoego wrote: »

These are the 2 foremost important things for me going forward. It's all well and good having Craig return or getting a new actor but all that counts for nothing if we don't have an excellent script or a director to bring the needed execution the production needs.
    I agree with this. New writers, new director, keep Craig and the supporting cast.

I quite agree. I've enjoyed DC as Bond, but the four story arc of Bond wrestling with demons is played out. After such a great start with CR, followed by the ever improving QoS, the series has become murky and mired in psychology and mother and brother issues. For me the single biggest mistake of the entire Bond series has been Blofeld as Bond's step brother. What a nutty decision. It practically ruins revisiting the old Bond films knowing that a future Bond will discover his relationship to ESB. Clean the slate again and get back to a lean Bond film. The plethora of CGI aside, I rather liked Gerard Butler's mean reprise of his role in the bloated London Has Fallen. And for the sake of sanity, let's have a Bond theme song that doesn't want to make you slit your wrists. There was much about SPECTRE I liked, but the Blofeld/Bond thing felt desperate.

I agree too, but as I mentioned somewhere else, this is actually far more likely with a new team and a new actor. Bond actor tenures tend to get more outlandish over time historically (Moore being the exception with FYEO only because he stayed on so long - that film was actually written originally with his successor in mind). It's normally only with a new actor that we tend to go back to a more stripped down and suspense oriented thriller.

Ever since GoldenEye the films have become action romps with hints of mystery/suspense for added flavour. Their is little distinguishing modern Bond from batman or mission impossible. If EON is serious about stripping things back, then use Dr No as the model. No personal drama, no bloated action set peices, just a lean, mean Bond outing.