No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Of all the poor choices for Daniel's eventual replacement, Tom Hardy is my favourite.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No to both Hardy and Nolan.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Getafix wrote: »
    So many good directors out there. What are EON playing at?

But at the root of all their problems are the cr*ppy, cobbled-together scripts they insist on using.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't care about the awesomeness of what was in the time of yesteryear, this is the hear, now and future and for the majority of the past decade EoN have given me pause to not blindly trust their level of competency and strategic creative thinking.

Both absolutely bang on the money.
    It's easy to criticise Marvel or Disney but they both have a plan and are sticking to it. I don't have the slightest faith that EON have a similar creative vision for the property and just make it up as they go along.

It seems like the only overarching idea EON has for the Craig era is to add emotional depth to the character, but they don't seem to have a consistent concept for how they wish to do that.
    Murdock wrote: »
    No to both Hardy and Nolan.

Yes to your opinion! Especially to Hardy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd be quite satisfied with Nolan. Hardy, I'm neither here nor there on. After Craig, anything goes I suppose.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,162
    bondjames wrote: »
    After Craig, anything goes I suppose.

Not if they care for the future of the franchise. James Bond has to go back to what made him unique,
    Meaning refinement, style, good looks and witt. Hardy sports nothing of that.
    After Craig, anything goes I suppose.

Not if they care for the future of the franchise. James Bond has to go back to what made him unique.
    Truth be told, I'd prefer "tall, slim and dark" next time out as well, although that probably describes a lot of people, even if not my aunt. ;)

At the very least, I'd personally like a little more natural nonchalance and debonair refinement.
    The only thing I see with Nolan is more dour melodrama. Which Bond needs to stay far away from at this point. Not to mention he'd bring in Hans Zimmer and after what we've gotten with Mendes and Newman we need someone not cut from the same cloth.
  • Nolan can do a Bond in 10 years, after a reprieve of glamour, fun, and high adventure, when the pendulum needs to swing back to brooding.
    Nolan can do a Bond in 50 years, after a reprieve of glamour, fun, and high adventure, when the pendulum needs to swing back to brooding.

Fixed. ;)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,767
    So many good directors out there. What are EON playing at?

But at the root of all their problems are the cr*ppy, cobbled-together scripts they insist on using.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't care about the awesomeness of what was in the time of yesteryear, this is the hear, now and future and for the majority of the past decade EoN have given me pause to not blindly trust their level of competency and strategic creative thinking.

Both absolutely bang on the money.
    It's easy to criticise Marvel or Disney but they both have a plan and are sticking to it. I don't have the slightest faith that EON have a similar creative vision for the property and just make it up as they go along.

It seems like the only overarching idea EON has for the Craig era is to add emotional depth to the character, but they don't seem to have a consistent concept for how they wish to do that.
    Roger Moore´s James Bond had all the emotional depth in the world, he just was a well-balanced human being with a positive outlook on life. I remember after QoS, everyone and their mother wanted Bond to be the suave gentleman enjoying life again. It would have been a logic development, CR being about Bond´s first adventure as a 00, and QoS a direct follow-up. Instead we got the other two films.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Given how so many fans are wishing for the same basic thing, a fun standalone, mission based film with no personal angles, EON must at least have a sense of this. One thing I will give them credit for, although they are stubborn, they do stand up and deliver when their backs are against the wall.
    Given how so many fans are wishing for the same basic thing, a fun standalone, mission based film with no personal angles, EON must at least have a sense of this. One thing I will give them credit for, although they are stubborn, they do stand up and deliver when their backs are against the wall.

For once, I agree.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Risico007 wrote: »

'Huge three figure wager'

I watched Taboo recently and quite enjoyed it, but am not sure that Hardy would bring anything sufficiently different from Craig. I would expect EON to want to go in a slightly different direction.

I would not be averse to Nolan having a crack at the whip. A shame that Mendes already 'did a Nolan' with SF. Nolan would have done it better I think.

It will be interesting to see how Dunkirk turns out. Apparently it's quite short, which is a good sign IMO that Nolan may have pulled back from his recent tendency towards fatuous bloat.

If he could make a Bond film that was closer in spirit to Insomnia or Memento then I'd be up for that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dunkirk-is-christopher-nolans-shortest-film-directorial-debut-1015366
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's hard to see how any actor could now bring anything totally different to the role.

Bond is an established character with certain traits we expect from him. We have had him played every which way within these expected perimeters; what more can anyone bring to the role?

Craig probably drifted furthest from the norm with the least sophisticated Bond, but the character has to be pulled back so that he doesn't drift too far in to John McClane territory.

So, rather than be different, the next actor just needs to be different to Craig.

I agree with @Getafix, Tom Hardy would simply re-tread old ground. The Bond actors have roughly followed a dark/light/dark/light pattern, whether deliberately or not. And that kind of works. So, is it time to lighten up again?
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,767
    The problem is, as long as Eon makes tons of money with the films, their backs are far from against the wall. For Babs and Michael, it seems these days, general audiences are more important than having a distinguished franchise. I wouldn´t put it beyond them at this point to take the Transformers franchise as template for the coming Bond films, heaven forfend.

NicNac wrote: »
    It's hard to see how any actor could now bring anything totally different to the role.

Bond is an established character with certain traits we expect from him. We have had him played every which way within these expected perimeters; what more can anyone bring to the role?

Craig probably drifted furthest from the norm with the least sophisticated Bond, but the character has to be pulled back so that he doesn't drift too far in to John McClane territory.

So, rather than be different, the next actor just needs to be different to Craig.

I agree with @Getafix, Tom Hardy would simply re-tread old ground. The Bond actors have roughly followed a dark/light/dark/light pattern, whether deliberately or not. And that kind of works. So, is it time to lighten up again?
    Craig showed that a) Bond can be anything as long as the lead actor owns the role, and b) the best Bond performance isn´t worth much if the film on the whole is weak.

The next actor simply needs to play the character like that of the man in the books - with real charisma and charm but with a very dangerous edge and not a Mooresque fighter. However, because this is main stream cinema, with some more humor; natural humor that is, from conversations but not one line clankers uttered after someone dies. I don't think this really works with today's audience.

If Craig doesn't return, I'd love Hardy to be cast in the role.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I would not be averse to Nolan having a crack at the whip. A shame that Mendes already 'did a Nolan' with SF. Nolan would have done it better I think.
    Nolan would have been significantly better. Don't underestimate him. He's been on a personal tangent lately fueling his ego with pet projects.

While I doubt he'll get Bond, I'm reasonably certain that his known respect for the franchise would be sufficient motivation for him to dig deep and deliver something for the ages if given a chance.
    A few points

1. Nolan Is a mixed bag post The Dark Knight I would of said yes but Rises was poor and I didn't bother with Interstellar and Dunkirk looks bland.. like I said Nolan in 08 I would of been excited for in 2017 I am ok with but I can think of a few directors I would prefer

2. While I am a big supporter of Hardy (Denbigh's poster of introducing him as the new 007 is still my phone background) he is still my third choice behind Craig returning for one more film and Michael Fassbender (I don't care how big an actor he is I don't care he would cost too much he is perfect as 007 and we all know it) ... So While I would be Happy don't assume he is my number 1 choice...

Besides I have learned to role with the punches in 2004 my top choices were Adrian Paul and Ewan Mcgreggor. I was also 16/17. Never even heard of Daniel Craig till he was cast and was only nervous for a moment till someone, (I honestly forget who) pmed me on IMDB and said look I know your a Dalton fan and Craig will bring that era of Bond back and I was sold, and honestly Craig did Channel Dalton.... for 2 films then the Mendes Films began and we got this weird Moore/Dalton Hybrid running around.. so I am willing to accept an actor who I don't know and give him the benefit of the doubt..

The Idea of Hardy taking over I feel would give us a Conneryesque Performance (see inception) and I think it would be nice for those who want that kind of arrogant but fun 007 back. Fassbender would bring us back to the early Conery/Dalton/first 2 craig films and I WANT THAT.. but I can accept a few fun adventures in the veing of Goldfinger/thunderball

Nolan would have been significantly better. Don't underestimate him. He's been on a personal tangent lately fueling his ego with pet projects.

While I doubt he'll get Bond, I'm reasonably certain that his known respect for the franchise would be sufficient motivation for him to dig deep and deliver something for the ages if given a chance.
    Known respect for the franchise sounds very similar to all the proclamations what a huge Bond fan Mendes was.

boldfinger wrote: »

Known respect for the franchise sounds very similar to all the proclamations what a huge Bond fan Mendes was.
    Yes, but Nolan gave us an impressive original reimagining of the Batman universe which I personally consider definitive. That can't be said of any Bond interpretation in the last 20+ years. So I have a little more confidence in his abilities than I do in Mendes.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    For all we know they could be tied up with negotiations with no hope of delivering a film anytime soon.
    The silence suggests that corporate 'behind the scenes activity' is at work. Normally these things are time sensitive. We should know in a couple of months at most what the deal is.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tenor.gif
  • Just looking back over the months:

--Remember in November 2015 when Michael G. Wilson said he expected MGM would select a new studio partner in January or February of 2016?

--Remember all the fuss when Eon bought a helicopter and how people thought that was a sign that Bond 25 was moving toward production?

Still no studio partner. The helicopter turned out to have nothing to do with Bond 25.

We'll see how it goes.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 3,164
    Rumours from Hollywood (Sneider's a fairly reliable guy) - EON want a Cinematic Universe....

hmmm....
    A sick joke. Hopefully.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    A sick joke. Hopefully.

Quite.