No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry @Birdleson couldn't resist, after having several pages of no news everyday, with several pages of...speculation, it seemed like a naughty little prank. :D

007Blofeld wrote: »

@007Blofeld can I ask how old you are?
    If Bond did get bought by a foreign company, why would they ruin it? For example the last one or two Mission Impossible films have been released through Alibaba pictures....a Chinese retail conglomerate. It would be unlikely if such a deal were to pass, that investors would want to ruin such a multi billion dollar deal. Wouldn't you think.
  • The Wall Street Journal reports MGM talks with Chinese called off.

Ironically both the Journal and the New York Post (which first reported the talks) are both owned by Rupert Murdoch.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/capital-control-policy-puts-brakes-on-chinese-investment-in-hollywood-1487965450

They'll print anything these days.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ok but are u guys satisfied with Barbra and micheals handling of the bond franchise or would You like to see someone else with more fresh ideas

Consider yourself lucky to have them. They do a slimy industry a lot of good, and have kept Bond alive without compromise.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

I must be missing something. Why is this bad news? Just curious.
    Because we don't trust foreigners who are enemies of the state. ;)

:))

Yeah but how do we know they can be trusted I just don't see this playing out very well :-S

The Chinese already "own" many nations in debts and markets (including my glorious United States), so we've had a long history of working with them for mutual-benefit. They need our world/national economy, and we need them, as so much of what we purchase is derived from Asia. It's why partnership and not conflict is best for all, in the name of self-preservation.

China="bad" now? Are we still feeling the propagandized shadow of communism washing over us? They're in the film industry, and they'll keep their product (one of which could be Bond here) the way it's been to make sure they're rolling in those billion dollar BO piles of green. It's like the people who thought Marvel's movies were going to go all Mickey Mouse when Disney bought them, when they've only gotten more mature and artful than ever before.

Calm the hell down, folks.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    So what would be preferable, China or Disney? ;)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Ok but are u guys satisfied with Barbra and micheals handling of the bond franchise or would You like to see someone else with more fresh ideas

Consider yourself lucky to have them. They do a slimy industry a lot of good, and have kept Bond alive without compromise.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

I must be missing something. Why is this bad news? Just curious.
    Because we don't trust foreigners who are enemies of the state. ;)

:))

Yeah but how do we know they can be trusted I just don't see this playing out very well :-S

The Chinese already "own" many nations in debts and markets (including my glorious United States), so we've had a long history of working with them for mutual-benefit. They need our world/national economy, and we need them, as so much of what we purchase is derived from Asia. It's why partnership and not conflict is best for all, in the name of self-preservation.

China="bad" now? Are we still feeling the propagandized shadow of communism washing over us? They're in the film industry, and they'll keep their product (one of which could be Bond here) the way it's been to make sure they're rolling in those billion dollar BO piles of green. It's like the people who thought Marvel's movies were going to go all Mickey Mouse when Disney bought them, when they've only gotten more mature and artful than ever before.

Calm the hell down, folks.
    Benny wrote: »
    Sorry @Birdleson couldn't resist, after having several pages of no news everyday, with several pages of...speculation, it seemed like a naughty little prank. :D

@007Blofeld can I ask how old you are?
    If Bond did get bought by a foreign company, why would they ruin it? For example the last one or two Mission Impossible films have been released through Alibaba pictures....a Chinese retail conglomerate. It would be unlikely if such a deal were to pass, that investors would want to ruin such a multi billion dollar deal. Wouldn't you think.

Guess what people if you haven't seen from @AlexanderWaverly its all over with and never happened https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-25-china-eyes-mgm-purchase thank you MGM for wasting a whole year :-w
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Some people here need to take a film class so you actually know how films are made. Then I and a few others would be spared some of these illogical, outrage-filled posts that point to the ignorance of the commenter like a neon sign on the Vegas strip.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,512
    GetCarter wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Elba, Turner, Fassbender, Norton, they will all never play James Bond

You reckon?

LOL at the constant denials that you know inside information whilst frantically intimating that you do.

I enjoy the speculative nature of this thread, it's been a fun ride. But you're posturing doesn't add much, if anything.

You don't think it's presumptuous to flat out dismiss all four of those names? Not even for being the next Bond, but 'a' Bond a some point. It's a very sweeping statement built on almost non-existent foundations. Personally I'd disregard Elba and Fassbender, but the other two, who knows.

I'm speculating with the rest of you. Just because I've heard a couple of things doesn't mean I know everything, far from it, if people want to read intot things that's their problems, not mine. It's not uncommon for a little hysteria to set in amongst certain posters, don't let yourself be rattled.
    Not true. You know nothing about what Babs may or may not be doing.

Yeah?
    Glad you see it too?

You're starting to look silly, mate.
    Some people here need to take a film class so you actually know how films are made. Then I and a few others would be spared some of these illogical, outrage-filled posts that point to the ignorance of the commenter like a neon sign on the Vegas strip.

Indeed. Startling amount of common sense has gone walkabouts.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Am I to understand that Trump's election is one of the reasons why we're not getting a Bond film any time soon?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »

Disney.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Am I to understand that Trump's election is one of the reasons why we're not getting a Bond film any time soon?

I have thought for a while that the cultural shift happening might give EON the cause to pause for thought. After all, both Brosnan and Craig began their tenures in the wake of significant events on the culture, in the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11 respectively. This whole Trump/Brexit/Le Pen phenomenon could provide the next springboard.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think they'd need a reason absurd as such. Politics aren't to interfere in filmmaking. If so, then they are making fools out of themselves, which I doubt is the actual case.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,661
    I wonder what would happen if EON bought MGM's share of Bond? What I mean is, if EON had 100 percent ownership of Bond they could forget MGM and go to any studio. If EON couldn't afford to buy MGM's 50 percent stake they could approach a studio like Disney to buy MGM's share. MGM also seems to be in financial trouble!
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if EON bought MGM's share of Bond? What I mean is, if EON had 100 percent ownership of Bond they could forget MGM and go to any studio.
    That's been my wish for a long time. But, as I've heard from a friend who's in the film/TV business, they did try to buy the rights many times, but MGM won't let go.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    It would be pretty cool if Disney bought Bond cuz they would make a film for the fans unlike Barbra and Wilson who feel like they are tired of bond and are just going through the motions to roll out films unhappily.

This is true, the thing is most of the fans don't know how to make a good Bond movie.

It would probably be a retelling of Goldfinger, with Aiden Turner stepping in as James Bond and also confirming that the codename theory is indeed true, whereas the theme song would be an already existing pop song which has nothing to do with the movie itself.
    Walecs wrote: »
    It would be pretty cool if Disney bought Bond cuz they would make a film for the fans unlike Barbra and Wilson who feel like they are tired of bond and are just going through the motions to roll out films unhappily.

This is true, the thing is most of the fans don't know how to make a good Bond movie.

It would probably be a retelling of Goldfinger, with Aiden Turner stepping in as James Bond and also confirming that the codename theory is indeed true, whereas the theme song would be an already existing pop song which has nothing to do with the movie itself.
    Exactly my thinking. A major proof out there that they'd treat the franchise as such is Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 1,661
    My guess is if Disney bought MGM's share of Bond - even at an inflated price, assuming MGM would only sell at the highest price possible - we'd get the Bond films coming out every two years, plus potential spin-off Bond films such as Young Bond and the OO Division? Sort of the Avengers/Justice League of the Bond universe with the 00 Division teaming up.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    where do I sign? Despite what people is saying, Disney is doing a terrific job with Star Wars
    Can't argue with Rogue One. That was truly an original film serving as a prequel to A New Hope, which was done brilliantly. The Force Awakens on the other hand was a fan fiction trying hard to continue the series' already finished story arc. A Han Solo movie is also overtly unnecessary. A character who doesn't need to be explored with an origins story, but here we are.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I find it rather amusing that some newbies are showing up and shouting the odds at long standing members with credible track record of being trusted as having inside info.

I've had my run ins with @RC7 myself but he knows what he's talking about unlike some of you kids who've just rocked up, have some respect, you've just joined the house and you are acting like you own it.

Oh the irony that Trump is affecting the next film, he's fecking everything else up so why not Bond!

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,187

Yeah?

You're starting to look silly mate.
    I hope you're kidding. You come out saying you "work" in the film and industry and have heard some interesting things about Bond 25. But, won't even speculate on what you heard? Sounds like a troll to me.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    Disney.
    If they had to sell, I wouldn't mind Disney. Not a wild card as far as I'm concerned. The Chinese on the other hand are, even if that rumour has been debunked.
    I don't think they'd need a reason absurd as such. Politics aren't to interfere in filmmaking. If so, then they are making fools out of themselves, which I doubt is the actual case.
    Agreed. It's nonsense as far as I'm concerned. They've got things to sort out internally, like getting their distributorship thing finalized and getting a script finalized etc. etc. External political factors are a sideshow. This franchise has been going strong for 50+ years and through several administrations.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. It's nonsense as far as I'm concerned. They've got things to sort out internally, like getting their distributorship thing finalized and getting a script finalized etc. etc. External political factors are a sideshow. This franchise has been going strong for 50+ years and through several administrations.
    Common sense right there!

Yeah?

You're starting to look silly mate.
    I hope you're kidding. You come out saying you "work" in the film and industry and have heard some interesting things about Bond 25. But, won't even speculate on what you heard? Sounds like a troll to me.

Have you heard of non-disclosure agreements? Clearly not. Get off @RC7's back, you're cramping him up.
    Walecs wrote: »

That's a good portion of the Bond songs anyway, so...
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    My guess is if Disney bought MGM's share of Bond - even at an inflated price, assuming MGM would only sell at the highest price possible - we'd get the Bond films coming out every two years, plus potential spin-off Bond films such as Young Bond and the OO Division? Sort of the Avengers/Justice League of the Bond universe with the 00 Division teaming up.

I would never want to see Bond spin-off films. That's too much for me, a step well over the line. I don't need to see a Moneypenny Diaries origin story, a film about M working in the navy, Q's days as a mentor to an engineer, etc. Bond should also remain the mystery he's always been as well, where we get peeks at his inner life without ever really knowing him front to back. Fleming was smart to write him that way, and the movies have and should always follow suit.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Couldn't agree more, @Brady! If EON ever promulgates any desire to produce Bond spin-offs, I'll go mad, except if their plans involve alternative media. Comic books, for example, are a no-limits medium for me. They can have Bond and Batman hook up for all I care. But the movies should remain pure.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2017 Posts: 8,136
    Guys, guys, guys - calm down.

I wasn't suggesting that Trump or the current political revolution in progress across The West should form the basis of the next Bond story. However, as was the case with the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11 previously, some major event is likely to impact the climate of cinema over the next couple of years and form the identity of the next string of films. It's not that I want politics to take on a larger role, merely for it to continue to have the same impact it always has done. They need to draw from something contemporary after all. We can't stay stuck in 2006 forever.
    @DarthDimi, yes, other mediums can be used to do what the films shouldn't or can't. The movies need to deliver on very specific things, just as the continuation novels do, as they are most bound to Fleming's spirit with set rules that shouldn't be trampled on.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Oh the irony that Trump is affecting the next film, he's fecking everything else up so why not Bond!
    I won't get into politics but that begs comparison to the Reagan years.

From MOONRAKER: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.

From SPECTRE: BOND 25.

From HAW-raw: BYOO-tee!
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ironically EON themselves have floated the idea of spinoffs in the past. I recall a Jinx and a Wai Lin one being considered at one point. So I wouldn't put the blame on Disney for that one.
    Guys, guys, guys - calm down.

I wasn't suggesting that Trump or the current political revolution in progress across The West should form the basis of the next Bond story. However, as was the case with the fall of the Berlin Wall and 9/11 previously, some major event is likely to impact the climate of cinema over the next couple of years and form the identity of the next string of films. It's not that I want politics to take on a larger role, merely for it to continue to have the same impact it always has done. They need to draw from something contemporary after all. We can't stay stuck in 2006 forever.
    That's certainly true, but I don't see the current political rebellion and populism as being that trigger. It's not important enough. If however there is a future breakup of Nato or the EU, that could very well have a pronounced impact on the world, and could serve as a meaningful element for the world of Bond to explore.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,992

It has to be a challenge for Eon to compete with other films and an entire genre they spawned, as well as their own 50-year+ history. They keep saying that people think a Bond film is easier to write than it is. I believe them.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yes. Trump's isolationism differs from his predecessors and has given them pause. Plus, he has already insulted China. So thanks a lot, Trump.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Chinese owned MGM. Eon is savvy enough not to insult the growing Chinese market. When was the last time China was disparaged in a Bond film? TMWTGG or possibly LTK. We're much more likely to see "rogue" villains from China or Russia or wherever.

Disney's films are pablum, including the new Star Wars ones. They're geared toward children and teenagers. I don't want that for Bond.
    I don't see petty politics impacting the direction of a Bond film. Especially given there are elections every 4-5 years in most countries.

Something that changes the long term security apparatus on the other hand? That will certainly be something which has a profound impact and which the producers are likely to incorporate into their stories.

There's no doubt that 9/11 had that effect. So did the fall of the Berlin wall.