No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. If he ever got a shot at it, he would have to be kept on a reasonably short leash. Still, I'd love to see him one day contribute dialogue to a Bond film if nothing else.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm still looking forward to see Tarantino making a spy thriller. Not Bond. But, a spy thriller. Last I heard of the relation between him and the genre, he was up for making film adaptations of some Len Deighton novels.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Spottiswoode is a hack, and TND is the single worst Bond movie of all time. The franchise can not survive another TND.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. That type at least in terms of straightforward Bond adventure is exactly want we want.

Mendes is one of my favorite directors but not for Bond anymore. Spottiswood lacks the leadership as say a Campbell or Young but unlike Mendes's last effort he seemed to have an idea of what he wanted.

TND is just a straightforward Bond film midpack and a nice diversion for a couple of hours.
  • Inglorious Basterds gave us one of the best Bond villains of all time in Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa. It also gave us a close-quarters shoot out with an incredibly tense build-up and one hell of an amazing non-action based opening sequence. Death Proof single-handedly made Kurt Russell cool again and delivered one of the greatest car chases of all time, no hyperbole whatsoever. Kill Bill gave us another fantastic Bond villain with an exceptional climactic speech in David Carradine's Bill. It also gave us two great Bond-esque villainesses in Darryl Hannah's eye-patched Elle Driver and Chiaki Kuriyama's buzzsaw-ball-on-a-chain-wielding Gogo Yubari, and a great sprawling one-against-many samurai sword battle. Tarantino knows how to do cool. He knows how to do tension and suspense. He knows how to make you squirm. He knows how to make you laugh. He knows how to send you out of the theater with a smile on your face. He's an actor's director who draws amazing performances from his cast. He continuously reinvents and revives what has grown tired or out-of-fashion in the public consciousness. If this man wants to do Bond, by God let him do Bond and give him whatever leash he wants so long as Zoe Bell doesn't get any speeches. There are worse things that could happen—and have happened—to the franchise than that we find ourselves perspiring in our seats from all the tension or tearing up with nervous laughter in the best possible ways. Give this man Bond.
    Inglorious Basterds gave us one of the best Bond villains of all time in Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa. It also gave us a close-quarters shoot out with an incredibly tense build-up and one hell of an amazing non-action based opening sequence. Death Proof single-handedly made Kurt Russell cool again and delivered one of the greatest car chases of all time, no hyperbole whatsoever. Kill Bill gave us another fantastic Bond villain with an exceptional climactic speech in David Carradine's Bill. It also gave us two great Bond-esque villainesses in Darryl Hannah's eye-patched Elle Driver and Chiaki Kuriyama's buzzsaw-ball-on-a-chain-wielding Gogo Yubari, and a great sprawling one-against-many samurai sword battle. Tarantino knows how to do cool. He knows how to do tension and suspense. He knows how to make you squirm. He knows how to make you laugh. He knows how to send you out of the theater with a smile on your face. He's an actor's director who draws amazing performances from his cast. He continuously reinvents and revives what has grown tired or out-of-fashion in the public consciousness. If this man wants to do Bond, by God let him do Bond and give him whatever leash he wants so long as Zoe Bell doesn't get any speeches. There are worse things that could happen—and have happened—to the franchise than that we find ourselves perspiring in our seats from all the tension or tearing up with nervous laughter in the best possible ways. Give this man Bond.

Have to agree but with less enthusiasm. Better than Mendes or Madonna's husband ..what's his name? Forgot..
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Inglorious Basterds gave us one of the best Bond villains of all time in Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa. It also gave us a close-quarters shoot out with an incredibly tense build-up and one hell of an amazing non-action based opening sequence. Death Proof single-handedly made Kurt Russell cool again and delivered one of the greatest car chases of all time, no hyperbole whatsoever. Kill Bill gave us another fantastic Bond villain with an exceptional climactic speech in David Carradine's Bill. It also gave us two great Bond-esque villainesses in Darryl Hannah's eye-patched Elle Driver and Chiaki Kuriyama's buzzsaw-ball-on-a-chain-wielding Gogo Yubari, and a great sprawling one-against-many samurai sword battle. Tarantino knows how to do cool. He knows how to do tension and suspense. He knows how to make you squirm. He knows how to make you laugh. He knows how to send you out of the theater with a smile on your face. He's an actor's director who draws amazing performances from his cast. He continuously reinvents and revives what has grown tired or out-of-fashion in the public consciousness. If this man wants to do Bond, by God let him do Bond and give him whatever leash he wants so long as Zoe Bell doesn't get any speeches. There are worse things that could happen—and have happened—to the franchise than that we find ourselves perspiring in our seats from all the tension or tearing up with nervous laughter in the best possible ways. Give this man Bond.

Have to agree but with less enthusiasm. Better than Mendes or Madonna's husband ..what's his name? Forgot..

Also we might finally get some fetishized feet shots in the series. Some of us have been waiting long enough. Sheesh. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    Tarantino will never do a Bond. I'll put money on it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

^:)^

I agree that sadly, it likely will never happen, but excellent post nonetheless.
  • Yeah it's not like EON have a clue what to do next anyway. Why not let Tarantino have a stab at it, just as a one off while they figure out how to transition properly into the next era? It'd be a brilliant film and a guaranteed earner and would snag them at least a few of the Oscar nominations that they seem all too keen to chase these days.
  • bondjames wrote: »

^:)^

I agree that sadly, it likely will never happen, but excellent post nonetheless.

Alas, you are right, but...no hope for feet shots then. *heavy sigh*
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

First of all let me just say I've had a huge crush on Chiaki Kuriyama since Kill Bill.

Secondly, I've been against the idea of Tarantino helping Bond especially after the huge song and dance he made about EoN hijacking his idea about a CR movie. However, a few weeks ago I went through a Tarantino marathon, revisiting all his films and now, like you, after warming to the possibility of him helping a Bond film I'm fully on board with the idea.
    There's not much else to add as you summed things up succinctly but as @Thelivingroyale said, creatively EoN are essentially lost...drifting to nowhere. Tarantino in every movie of his does two things exceptionally well which Bond movies used to do but has been absent for years; and that's make dialogue-heavy scenes very interesting and his ability to build and execute tension and suspense. He never overcomplicates things and has a way with making things excitingly simple. Tarantino is a smart guy and I'm thoroughly convinced he'd make a brilliant Bond film. It would be a creative coup if EoN got him. Writer and director all in one and you'd have a film that would be instantly memorable for all the right reasons. However, as @RC7 said, I doubt it'll ever happen.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Its kind of confusing what Mendes is talking about is he talking about him returning Daniel Craig or both? :-?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,661
    http://thestudioexec.com/quentin-tarantino-direct-next-bond/

Confirmed. Fact. 100 percent true. Not a Donald Trump pledge or a Theresa May "brexit means brexit" claim, but fact. Facty fact fact! And if you don't believe it, go suck a lemon!

[-X
    Haha! Okay! And will there be snakes on planes? ;)
    And cgi sharks. I'd love me some cgi shark. Also bring back Mike Myers for a semi serios cameo, like you did in Inglorious Basterds. Oh, Uma Thurman must be Bond's main squeeze.
  • That's an outdated article, @fanbond123. This more recent one has Terence Malick taking over helming duties for 007's next adventure:

thestudioexec.com/terrence-malicks-bond-script-leaks-onto-internet/

Leonard Cohen will be performing the theme song. We'll see how that turns out.

But what I'm really interested in are the dinosaurs. That scene in GoldenEye in M's office wetted my appetite, but what I've always thought the James Bond films could use more of was dinosaurs.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Read Serpent's Tooth. That's a Bond comic with Dinosaurs. :-bd
    Huh is studio exec a joke site or something ?
  • Are you serious? That actually sounds kind of amazing. Or terrible. I can't decide which.

But on a more serious note, one of the never-to-be-made James Bond screenplays I've had rattling around in my head and in notes has the villain peripherally involved with illegally trading dinosaur fossils in Asia.
  • It was not pointed out to me before, but I agree that the TND fights are very so-so. There is very little urgency or dynamism in them.
  • It was not pointed out to me before, but I agree that the TND fights are very so-so. There is very little urgency or dynamism in them.

You're a little behind there, @IncompetentHenchman. We've moved on to Quentin Tarantino and dinosaurs.
    No it's completely true.
    droppedImage_6.jpg
  • Wow. There is a whole world of Bond out there I have yet to discover. I'm guessing that was Jurassic Park inspired. Have you read it? Any good?
    I remember liking Serpent's Tooth and the comics from that era. I always thought Serpent's Tooth, Shattered Helix, and The Quasimodo Gambit were decent titles for a film. Permission To Die was a bit trite, though.
    Wow. There is a whole world of Bond out there I have yet to discover. I'm guessing that was Jurassic Park inspired. Have you read it? Any good?

It came out around that time but no I haven't read it yet but I hear it's pretty good.
    Murdock wrote: »
    No it's completely true.
    droppedImage_6.jpg

Just fyi Serpent's Tooth predates the film Jurassic Park by one year I think.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember liking Serpent's Tooth and the comics from that era. I always thought Serpent's Tooth, Shattered Helix, and The Quasimodo Gambit were decent titles for a film. Permission To Die was a bit trite, though.
    Permission To Die was basically From Russia With Love Vol. 2, and Quasimodo was a combination of Licence To Kill, Dr No, Commando and Die Hard. Shattered Helix was confusing as hell.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Wow. There is a whole world of Bond out there I have yet to discover. I'm guessing that was Jurassic Park inspired. Have you read it? Any good?

It came out around that time but no I haven't read it yet but I hear it's pretty good.
    Oh it's very good! My favourite Bond comic to date thanks to the great art of Paul Gulacy and the exceptional storytelling by Doug Moench.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 15,818
    Permission To Die was basically From Russia With Love Vol. 2, and Quasimodo was a combination of Licence To Kill, Dr No, Commando and Die Hard. Shattered Helix was confusing as hell.

Another was A Silent Armageddon, but I don't remember much about it. Cool title, though.

Another was A Silent Armegeddon, but I don't remember much about it. Cool title, though.
    That one was going well. But its publication is incomplete. Only two out of four issues were published.
    What?

Bond fought dinosaurs?
    It was good too?

Sounds too ridiculous.