No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Elon Musk is a huge Bond fan by the way. He's like a real life Bond villain without the villainy of course. Even has a great Flemingesque name :D

Also, for a time in 2015, his photo for his verified Twitter account was shot from the neck down, with him holding a stuffed cat and extended one of his pinky fingers like Dr. Evil.

elon-musk.jpg

Funny. The Tesla S uses a graphic of the Lotus from TSWLM for some function that I can't recall at the moment. Pretty sure the car isn't submersible.

Everyone's clearly moved on from this, but anyway, there was an easter egg where you input "007" as an access code, and when you went to the digital suspension controls, it changed the image of the Tesla to the Lotus, and allowed you to change a depth control in leagues (options being 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Elon Musk is a huge Bond fan by the way. He's like a real life Bond villain without the villainy of course. Even has a great Flemingesque name :D

Also, for a time in 2015, his photo for his verified Twitter account was shot from the neck down, with him holding a stuffed cat and extended one of his pinky fingers like Dr. Evil.

elon-musk.jpg

Funny. The Tesla S uses a graphic of the Lotus from TSWLM for some function that I can't recall at the moment. Pretty sure the car isn't submersible.

Everyone's clearly moved on from this, but anyway, there was an easter egg where you input "007" as an access code, and when you went to the digital suspension controls, it changed the image of the Tesla to the Lotus, and allowed you to change a depth control in leagues (options being 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000).

Oh thanks ...that's it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gumbold wrote: »
    Lets hope they spend some time on the script this time

Time on the script was never the issue. It's what they came up with during the time they had that was the problem.
    MGM have plenty of money, they generate shed loads of cash and have a $1bn credit facility that hasn't been touched.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/mgm-reduces-interest-outlays-with-new-1b-credit-facility-1201781219/

That doesn't mean much. Whatever finances they have, one, their in a less favourable place with the huge sums of money the've lost; two, huge chunks of that money are geared towards other ventures such as their resorts etc; thirdly and this is the big one, what ever huge sums of money people are seeing, don't be fooled into thinking it's tantamount to MGM actually being able to afford to distribute themselves because the fact is they can't.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    "a series of series." Yes!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    So, the Craig era is a series of a series of a series.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, well yes. The overall franchise is a series made up of 24 films. Because of the length of time it has run, and the ages of the actors, it can be broken down to a series of three incarnations, Connery, Lazenby, Moore....Dalton, Brosnan...Craig. Within each one of these timelines is a series of films. So yes, each one is "a series of a series of a series". :D
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    MGM have plenty of money, they generate shed loads of cash and have a $1bn credit facility that hasn't been touched.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/mgm-reduces-interest-outlays-with-new-1b-credit-facility-1201781219/

That doesn't mean much. Whatever finances they have, one, their in a less favourable place with the huge sums of money the've lost; two, huge chunks of that money are geared towards other ventures such as their resorts etc; thirdly and this is the big one, what ever huge sums of money people are seeing, don't be fooled into thinking it's tantamount to MGM actually being able to afford to distribute themselves because the fact is they can't.

As an aside, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, the studio, doesn't have resorts. That would be MGM Resorts International, a separate company. (Previous names were MGM Grand and MGM Mirage). Once upon time, Kerk Kerkorian owned both the studio and the resorts company, which is why the latter has the MGM name.

Regardless, your main point is spot-on. MGM (the studio) is still a runt in the movie studio world. Its main business is making television shows. For example, it acquired the company that makes The Apprentice.
    Appreciate the correction and clarification.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Variety rather randomly asked Eeddie Redmayne if he is interested in playing Bond.

Would you be interested in playing James Bond?
    I definitely will not be playing James Bond. I would hate to see myself play James Bond. I love going to see “James Bond” and seeing really freaking cool actors that I admire doing great things. Never say never, but … no. Who would I like to see as James Bond? That’s a different question.

Okay, who would you like to see as James Bond?
    Tom Hardy. Seeing him in “Inception,” I thought he was so debonair. But are they even looking? See, you don’t know. Nobody knows. I love Daniel Craig.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Variety rather randomly asked Eeddie Redmayne if he is interested in playing Bond.

I definitely will not be playing James Bond. I would hate to see myself play James Bond. I love going to see “James Bond” and seeing really freaking cool actors that I admire doing great things. Never say never, but … no. Who would I like to see as James Bond? That’s a different question.

Tom Hardy. Seeing him in “Inception,” I thought he was so debonair. But are they even looking? See, you don’t know. Nobody knows. I love Daniel Craig.

So Eddie and Idris are out of the running. Well that's two down, were making some progress at least.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

So Eddie and Idris are out of the running. Well that's two down, were making some progress at least.

Aiden Turner also said “there is still someone who is playing the role” that is why I do not want to talk about it. He added that "people are talking about someone else’s part, and “Daniel Craig is well hard.”

More an more are coming out and saying, I wouldn't do it now, or no interested. When I think the real truth is, that their agents have been told EON are not looking for a new Bond. I think it's plain as day Dan will be back and those who initially put their name in the hat are trying to save face.

Aiden Turner also said “there is still someone who is playing the role” that is why I do not want to talk about it. He added that "people are talking about someone else’s part, and “Daniel Craig is well hard.”

More an more are coming out and saying, I wouldn't do it now, or no interested. When I think the real truth is, that their agents have been told EON are not looking for a new Bond. I think it's plain as day Dan will be back and those who initially put their name in the hat are trying to save face.

Yeah, see, I'm not gettin' that.

I think it's plain as day, had so many putting their names in the hat, who are now saying the opposite to cool them being linked. Why? probably because they don't want to talk about a role that another actor already has and is intent on keeping. It might not be public but I bet word is going around the acting community that it's not a job that's going to be available any time soon. Also coincides with Dan's comments that he would keep doing it as long as her was enjoying it.

I think it's plain as day, had so many putting their names in the hat, who are now saying the opposite to cool them being linked. Why? probably because they don't want to talk about a role that another actor already has and is intent on keeping. It might not be public but I bet word is going around the acting community that it's not a job that's going to be available any time soon. Also coincides with Dan's comments that he would keep doing it as long as her was enjoying it.

But Craig was talking about acting as a job when he said that, not Bond specifically. He also said in the same interview that "there's no conversation going on" on the subject of Bond 25, because "everybody's just a bit tired". That was in October, a little over a year from when they will have to announce Bond 25 to the world before production begins. By that time, around December of next year they'll have to have a full cast, a distributor, a finished script and everyone ready behind the camera. I don't see very much chance of that happening, personally, which means 2018 is off the table. If they make Bond 25 for Oct/Nov 2019 then Craig can still return, but he would be 50 before production even began.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,138

But Craig was talking about acting as a job when he said that, not Bond specifically. He also said in the same interview that "there's no conversation going on" on the subject of Bond 25, because "everybody's just a bit tired". That was in October, a little over a year from when they will have to announce Bond 25 to the world before production begins. By that time, around December of next year they'll have to have a full cast, a distributor, a finished script and everyone ready behind the camera. I don't see very much chance of that happening, personally, which means 2018 is off the table. If they make Bond 25 for Oct/Nov 2019 then Craig can still return, but he would be 50 before production even began.

Where did you get that impression??

"I’ve got the best job in the world doing Bond. The things I get to do on a Bond movie and the type of work it is, there’s no other job like it.”

“I love this job. I get a massive kick out of it. And if I can keep getting a kick out of it, I will.” he was speaking very much about Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As far as I know, Bond is the only part where the tabloids speculate on who will take over before the current actor is officially done.
    This thing has been going on since the release of Quantum of Solace.
  • It was nice to hear Craig speak so positively about the role in that interview. I mean I know the wrist slashing stuff was all in jest anyway but I feel like both him and EON should've done more to quell the negative publicity on that. We all know it was a joke because we follow every bit of Bond related news but to randomers who just glance at the headline they're going to think of him as ungrateful (my wife decided she'd gone off him after those comments before I gave her the context) and done with the role.

My personal feeling is that Spectre was planned to be his last one but now it's all up in the air. I honestly think the critical and audience reaction to it will play a part in it. I imagine he'd want to go out on a CR/SF esque high (critical acclaim, best Bond ever buzz, etc) and while SP didn't do badly at all, it didn't get that same response (even though it more than deserved to imo).
    Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but Othello's site refers to Craig as "007 incumbent". One more subtle hint that nothing has changed, then. http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/newyorktheaterworkshop/othello.php
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I imagine he'd want to go out on a CR/SF esque high (critical acclaim, best Bond ever buzz, etc)
    That would make perfect sense. Who wouldn't want to leave on a high note. And it's absolutely possible to get that - there's so much potential.

• Craig's 5th Bond film really needs to have the Guy Hamilton-esque joy. It should be inventive when it comes down to the action and stunts. In such a way that critics say "Wauw! We haven't seen this before in a Bond film!".

Secondly, the magnificent acting and the rich pallet of Oscar-heavy actors should stay, BUT the story needs to be more fun, more logical and it needs to have a lighter touch without becoming too cheesy.
    Well, to be frank, Guy Hamilton doesn't have much vision to make an entertaining Bond film. All the films he did in the 70s were a large dose of boredom.

Goldfinger is iconic mainly because of its setting, stylishness and colourful characters.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There is a light hearted zany humour to the Hamilton films which I think Bond could do with a little more of these days.
    I could do with the humour.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is a light hearted zany humour to the Hamilton films which I think Bond could do with a little more of these days.

LALD & GF Hamilton yes. DAF & TMWTGG Hamilton no....too comic and lighthearted.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    nikos78 wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but Othello's site refers to Craig as "007 incumbent". One more subtle hint that nothing has changed, then. http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/newyorktheaterworkshop/othello.php

More historically inaccurate blackwashing of Shakespeare for no reason (other than to be modern and PC) I see in the cast.
    Yes, I'm hoping Bond 25 can deliver on the promise and become a classic on the level of Goldeneye and Diamonds Are Forever.
    Wouldn't say Diamonds Are Forever is a classic ...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say Diamonds Are Forever is a classic ...

A classic piece of shit, maybe!