No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2016 Posts: 11,139
    For such a hot and established property studios aren't exactly clamouring for distribution rights. Sony's initial deal was the equivalent of having MGM rub their balls all over Sony's face. MGM will never get a deal like that again, at least not any time soon and it's not as if they have the resources to distribute themselves. So either MGM are going to have to take a hit on whatever deal they were initially hoping for or we're in for a long wait.
    Maybe if Ben Hur didn't flop this summer MGM would be in a better position to distribute the next Bond film. I'm still not sure how MGM distibuting themselves would speed things up?

It won't, it'd slow things down, which was my point.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    MGM continues to embarrass themselves and be overly dependent on Bond, which has been the story for so many years now. It's like a broken record. Ben Hur is an example of a completely foreseeable waste of money.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    doubleoego wrote: »
    For such a hot and established property studios aren't exactly clamouring for distribution rights. Sony's initial deal was the equivalent of having MGM rub their balls all over Sony's face. MGM will never get a deal like that again at least not any time soon and it's not as if they have the resources to distribute themselves so either MGM ARE going to have to take a hit on whatever deal they were initially hoping for or we're in for a long wait.

Seems like MGM is in such a fragile position that is depends on Bond for a huge cash injection, and maybe that is what is off-putting to the big studios?
    True...forgot that as well....bugger
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    For such a hot and established property studios aren't exactly clamouring for distribution rights. Sony's initial deal was the equivalent of having MGM rub their balls all over Sony's face. MGM will never get a deal like that again, at least not any time soon and it's not as if they have the resources to distribute themselves. So either MGM are going to have to take a hit on whatever deal they were initially hoping for or we're in for a long wait.

Yes, but will MGM do that? I hate Bond tied to MGM!!! Bond or not the Sony deal was way lopsided in MGM's favor.

TCF has the video rights so that can't be added to the deal.

Yes, that's true. More time away will hopefully result in some new and interesting ideas for plot lines. That's something they could certainly do with more of.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Like I mentioned a few pages earlier, perhaps Eon will purchase MGM's share of the Bond screen rights in the up and coming few years... And I hope they do that.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    My predictions for Bond 25

Craig, Waltz, Bautista, Belucci, Lea Seydoux, Fiennes, Kinnear, Harris and Jeffrey Wright to return.

EON, Danjaq & MGM/UA paid quite a bit to secure the use of Spectre and Blofeld so I am sure they will keep going with it in the next story.

Bond will at some point head to the US to seek Lucia's help as he looks to track down his man or woman. Bond to also return to Asia in part of the film. I have an inkling some scenes may be shot in the Republic Of Ireland (Barbs gave a speech to Irish film guild early last year saying she would love to bring Bond to the ROI).

Irma Brunt to be introduced.

We will see a longer physical and more dangerous fight sequence between Bond and Hinx. Ultimately Hinx will die.

Bond to drive a limited edition Aston Martin Vanquish S

Jany Temine will stay on as costume, Tom Ford will remain the main partner.

Announcement March/April - Filming commencing later 2017 for October 2018 release.

Sony will have secured the distribution deal to continue.

Emmanuel Lubezki (Birman, The Revenant) on Cinematography (if Deakins does not return)

Happy to hear your predictions or thoughts.
    The longer this goes on the less I can see Craig coming back..
    Like I mentioned a few pages earlier, perhaps Eon will purchase MGM's share of the Bond screen rights in the up and coming few years... And I hope they do that.
    I don't see why MGM would sell, given it seems to be their most lucrative property. I think it's more likely that someone will snap up MGM if they go public and then Bond will be 50% under a larger umbrella organization.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The longer this goes on the less I can see Craig coming back..

But he'd miss it terribly.
    Elon Musk is a huge Bond fan by the way. He's like a real life Bond villain without the villainy of course. Even has a great Flemingesque name :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Elon Musk is a huge Bond fan by the way. He's like a real life Bond villain without the villainy of course. Even has a great Flemingesque name :D
    Agreed. He even apparently wants to dominate space like Drax.
    Yes I can just hear Barry's Space March as I type this.
    The only thing that puts me off having a Musk type character is that it was done so badly in DAF that you dont want to go back there. But we are even more reliant on tech these days and the private sector really does have a future in space. So it does make sense to have a Musk type character. My assumption was that they would be the good guy whose company had been infiltrated by SPECTRE?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't see why MGM would sell, given it seems to be their most lucrative property. I think it's more likely that someone will snap up MGM if they go public and then Bond will be 50% under a larger umbrella organization.
    I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather Bond remains family business than be corrupted by large corporations and the agendas of their CEOs.
    Yes, Bond is the only major blockbuster franchise that still has a family around it. Whatever happens I'd prefer that was preserved.
    Still a family business but with MGM as the pesky in-laws.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Yes, but will MGM do that? I hate Bond tied to MGM!!! Bond or not the Sony deal was way lopsided in MGM's favor.

TCF has the video rights so that can't be added to the deal.

MGM don't have much say in moving forward. Sony would love to continue distributing but they're not going to want the same crappy deal they initially had. Next year alone, with one film Sony are going to gross close to if not surpass $1 Billion. They're simply in a better bargaining position than they were before and MGM are not.

I too think that is the more likely scenario and besides, I'm not convinced EoN have the capital to buy back MGM's share.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Yes, Bond is the only major blockbuster franchise that still has a family around it. Whatever happens I'd prefer that was preserved.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

@mcdonbb hahaha.

=))

=))

If only Saltzman has been a bit more shrewd with how he spent him money eh?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423

=))

If only Saltzman has been a bit more shrewd with how he spent him money eh?
    He literally screwed the Broccoli's over. As if McClory's being pain in the ass wasn't enough of a problem...
    I wouldn't want it to happen either, but once you go public all bets are off.

It reminds me of Michael Jackson's ATV back catalogue. Once he sold 50% to Sony he was beholden to them to some extent and they had leverage over him due to the value of the asset (which was a much larger portion of his total wealth than it was of Sony).

So if MGM goes public, the Bond franchise is likely to be 50% in someone else's hands at some point down the road.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,138
    I wouldn't want it to happen either, but once you go public all bets are off.

It reminds me of Michael Jackson's ATV back catalogue. Once he sold 50% to Sony he was beholden to them to some extent and they had leverage over him due to the value of the asset (which was a much larger portion of his total wealth than it was of Sony).

So if MGM goes public, the Bond franchise is likely to be 50% in someone else's hands at some point down the road.

Not really true

Saltzman sold his 50% to UA in 1975 but in 1986 Broccoli bought them back to own 100% of the parent company Danjaq which holds the rights. Although the trademarks for material related to the Bond films are held by Danjaq, the copyrights to the first 20 film properties are co-owned by Danjaq LLC and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Who's to say MGM even wants to sell their share of the Bond rights? They're invaluable and everybody knows it.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @SirHilaryBray, what is MGM's involvement in the Bond franchise exactly? I thought they had 50% ownership rights to the franchise along with EON.
    @SirHilaryBray, what is MGM's involvement in the Bond franchise exactly? I thought they had 50% ownership rights to the franchise along with EON.

Me too.