No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

mcdonbb wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Age is not a problem ...they say they are still wanting Craig who is pushing 50.

The Bond franchise is in a different world than Cubby's. Very competitive. Nabbing a well known actor could be a big plus in getting Bond 25 on the go.

But will they pay for him? I dunno...

Is the rumor true or will this happen? Doubt both. We'll see.

If DC returns Eon will have gotten five films out of him. I seriously doubt Eon would want to start over a whole new Bond search after getting only two or three out of Fassbender.

Why not? Actors are older ...it's not a big deal. Besides three or four is pretty much what to expect from any modern Bond.

Bond must project a certain youthful vitality that makes his outrageous feats of derring- do at least somewhat believable. Hence, Rog's age in AVTAK was a tremendous liability. You could almost hear his joints creaking during the spat with Zorin's goons in Stacy's mansion.

And I think four films is the minimum Eon would expect out of any new actor these days. That is one more than one could possibly expect from Fassbender.

IMO the problem is not the age, but hiatus between films, whether by bad luck (MGM problem) or just EON slowing it down (SF to SP, SP to Bond 25 if Craig returns).

Craig is a fantastic Bond but he was totally wasted in the role. By that I mean number of films made. Had everything gone to plan without problems, he could have made 6 films thus being up there with the 2 greats (Connery and Moore) in terms of amount of films. And even if that that had happened (Craig's 6th in 2016), Fassbender would have been 41 in 2018, young enough to make 5 films before reaching 50 years of age.

I know this is most likely wishful thinking, and EON will never make new films on a regular 2 year basis for a decade or more. But please, when we get a pure beast as Bond (Craig, and possibly Fassbender) I want them to make as many films as possible. Everyone is making 3/4 films in franchises now thanks to all the superheroes stuff. Let Bond have the upper hand by getting the lead star to make at least 5 films.

Precisely how I feel. When Cubby was casting for a new Bond he certainly had the intention of that actor sticking it out for a good 6 outings. I don't doubt that for a minute. Had he lived through the Brosnan era, unless there had been some law suit as per 1991, we would have certainly had a 5th Brosnan outing in 2004. I believe the 3 year break from TWINE to DAD would have been a one off- not the start of a new trend. He wanted the current Bond to be so established and on a regular basis audiences wouldn't have to ask "who is playing Bond in the new film?". Which is pretty much what happens every time a new film is made. Even before SF I had people ask me "is the blond guy still playing Bond?". The gaps are long enough now it's easy for the general public to become disconnected enough from Bond to not really care. Hence, today in the 21st century you get forum topics with people actually thinking changing Bond to a female, etc is a GOOD idea.
    Cubby had created a franchise like no other- every 2 years, as reliable as Christmas, an exciting well made new film with an established heroic character like none other. I cannot emphasize enough what it was like to see Bond every other year. Film after film, and no other franchise was doing that. A holiday analogy like Christmas is the best example I can think of. Bond should be as established as Santa Claus. Yet today, every time a new film is made, the filmmakers seem to be trying to prove Bond is still relevant. If the films had been coming out on at least something of a regular basis they wouldn't have to.
    I think the problem is instead of having a long term game plan, as with the early actors (meaning-do the novels during the Connery's, finish the books and start the short stories with Moore and Dalton, etc) Eon has been winging it for some time now. Playing by ear. The Craig re-boot really should have been the start of something great. Especially with CR. Yet they went the route of the story arc through the duration and SP disappointed many.
    Although many have argued by now it's impossible to come up with a new film on a regular basis I wholeheartedly disagree. If anything now should be the opposite. With generations and generations of creativity since Fleming passed there are countless resources to base the films on. The continuation novels, some are quite solid actually, even the countless comic adaptations for example. The ideas should be flowing, yet with every film, the series seems to be in limbo.
    I do feel though when a new actor is cast it will force Eon to start coming up with a game plan. If they continuing winging it, the risk of the series eventually petering out gets bigger.
  • //And I think four films is the minimum Eon would expect out of any new actor these days/

Then Eon and MGM are going to have to make movies more often than three or four years.

Remember when Michael G. Wilson said they hoped Craig would do *eight* and break Roger Moore's record? They better get amped up if they really want to do that.

http://deadline.com/2011/12/daniel-craig-to-surpass-roger-moores-record-as-007-uk-report-206692/

Of course, I doubt many people took that seriously. It was a silly thing to say given how Eon wants longer breaks between films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. There have indeed been some difficulties on account of corporate shenanigans at MGM, but the actor is also crucial to films being made more regularly.

Some actors want to get on with it. Others want time off to do other things. Ultimately, I hope they cast an actor who embraces the former, and is willing to commit to making more Bond films more regularly.

That's all we can hope for, because the MGM issues continue to haunt Bond (an unfortunate Saltzman legacy).
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Cubby had created a franchise like no other- every 2 years, as reliable as Christmas, an exciting well made new film with an established heroic character like none other. I cannot emphasize enough what it was like to see Bond every other year. Film after film, and no other franchise was doing that. A holiday analogy like Christmas is the best example I can think of. Bond should be as established as Santa Claus. Yet today, every time a new film is made, the filmmakers seem to be trying to prove Bond is still relevant. If the films had been coming out on at least something of a regular basis they wouldn't have to.
    Excellent points. I agree wholeheartedly with your analogy. As reliable as Christmas.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Yes, very good point and it's clear that Disney wants to take Star Wars in this direction. I know that Bond is Bond but surely a franchise has momentum. With that momentum comes familiarity and no requirement to re-invent the wheel after a long gap. If you were are marketing exec, would you rather promote the next Star Wars moving with the last one still fresh or the next Bond movie with a much larger time gap?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Reddit User: Michael Fassbender is EON's top choice for role.
    2016-01-03T035.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4xuj1c/michael_fassbender_is_broccolis_top_choice/

This from the same person who claimed that Steven Knight was writing and that Mendes shot Hiddleston's screentest.

Please be true.

Fassbender has all the necessary ingredients and some. EON have gone after more high-brow talent since signing Craig and I think Fassbender's appointment would fit with their current edict. Not only that, he's a terrifically talented actor who has name credibility. He's by far the most talented actor in the conversation currently.

I personally believe this report because I heard from solid sources (close associates) that Eon have had their eye on Fassbender for sometime.

For me, he's the best they could ever get. He'll own the part.

Thanks for the intel @ColonelSun

I know in the past that you've spoken about your role in the film industry. I also believe you worked with EON in the past.

Do you know if Craig is more "in" than "out" at the moment? If he is indeed out, is it likely that Fassbender will get it?

Also, in your approximation, will we hear something official? The waiting game is killing us all?

In my opinion, if Fassbender gets the role, he would blow Craig's legacy out of the window. He would become the definitive 007.

tumblr_m6vojpqayn1rpf3ng.jpg

I understand your enthusiasm but I think it's wise to be mindful that the actor alone isn't enough to establish a good film let alone a legacy and dwarfing someone else's.

Craig is a very good actor but his era imo hasn't lived up to the potential of the new direction EoN were supposedly taking the movies in; and his talents have been somewhat wasted. Fassbender is a tremendous actor but he also needs the support of great talent and material to make his casting worthwhile.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,690
    patb wrote: »
    Yes, very good point and it's clear that Disney wants to take Star Wars in this direction. I know that Bond is Bond but surely a franchise has momentum. With that momentum comes familiarity and no requirement to re-invent the wheel after a long gap. If you were are marketing exec, would you rather promote the next Star Wars moving with the last one still fresh or the next Bond movie with a much larger time gap?

I believe a few members here ( @Birdleson I'm sure) would argue that the most unique entries in the franchise were when they came out almost every year. DN through TMWTGG, each film had a very specific main location and theme (kung fu, blaxplotation, Japan culture, underwater, etc).
    Locations and themes changed but Bond was Bond, there was no mucking about with back stories, adopted brothers etc. The foundation of Bond was solid and it was the other factors you mention that changed.

I believe a few members here ( @Birdleson I'm sure) would argue that the most unique entries in the franchise were when they came out almost every year. DN through TMWTGG, each film had a very specific main location and theme (kung fu, blaxplotation, Japan culture, underwater, etc).

Exactly! Each film is distinctly different in look, tone and feel, yet all have the most important thing in common: they all feel like James Bond movies.
    Eon kept very much in practice and never felt like it was getting rusty or tired. Now when a new film goes into production it's like they're out of practice to a degree and feel they have to do something dramatically different (like killing off M for example) just to stay fresh.
    I have to admit that I preferred Bond without all the backdrop baggage. We instinctively knew him (due to the performances of the actors who portrayed him) and we related to him, even if we weren't all familiar with the books. It's almost like we understood how he would react in certain circumstances. That was due to the strength of the writing and the performances. The exposition on Bond was unnecessary. He was the 'rock' throughout the films. Her Majesty's terrier.

Starting with Dalton, they attempted to peel it back, as it were. I can understand why they chose to do this, but I was not all that keen on it. CR was fine as a reboot one-off, but it's time to get back to the straight missions again, as many have advocated. I believe they will be better placed to do that if they reset with another actor. They must ensure though that he is one who naturally embodies filmic Bondian attributes. Fassbender could easily be that man.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All this digging into Bond's past and backstory is probably one of the worst decisions throughout the franchise; for me, anyway. I don't care for it, I don't need step-brother ties and child rivalries plaguing my story progression throughout anymore of the movies.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 15,818
    Although some liked that the films were finally delving into Bond's childhood, I think it destroyed the mystique. Most fans I'd say pretty much know Bond's parents were killed in a climbing accident, that he joined MI6 after the Navy, etc. To me that's enough.
    Let actor himself make Bond 3 dimensional through his performance. You don't need all the backstory rubbish especially when they eff it up royally by making Blofeld Bond's foster brother.

Yeah, well, they had a dude named Fleming to rely upon.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fassbender would be the closest to Flemings Bond yet.
  • RC7RC7

False equivalence. I wish people would stop going on about about Disney and SW, we are one film into their reboot. ONE FILM. Come back to me in twenty years. Bored of listening to the same old bollocks.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 676
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Craig did earlier in his career flex his acting muscles much more, especially in OFITN but even with that said you only have to look at Fassbender's C.V to see the varied amount of roles he's had and the risks he's taken (Hunger) to see that Fassy quite outstrips Craig as an actor.
    Does Fassbender's choice of roles really mean he "outstrips" Craig as an actor? I don't see that.

I'm not keen on Fassbender at all. A few reasons: 1) He looks like he was created in a laboratory to play Bond. To me, this is not a good thing. See also: Brosnan in the '80s. 2) Fassbender's name has been tossed around for Bond since Inglourious Basterds 6 years ago, just like Christoph Waltz was considered a shoo-in for Bond villain for 6 years. Naturally, Waltz did his usual shtick and did nothing surprising with the role. Fassbender would be the same - he's played Bond-like characters so often that we have probably seen his performance already. Boring. 3) I've never been impressed by Fassbender's acting, particularly how he can't seem to keep a consistent accent throughout one film (Tom Hardy has the same problem).

Basically, I would prefer an actor whose face has more character and whose performance wouldn't be so easy to predict. (Can you tell I'm a Daniel Craig fanboy?)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    I'm sorry but witnessing what Fassbender has done like Hunger and Shame and also his terrifying performance in 12 Years a Slave, the only time Craig has got to this level is Our Friends In The North and that was a long time ago.

You need to obviously know his output which it sounds like you only know his more mainstream work.

Watch his performance in Hunger, Shame, Fish Tank and 12 Years a Slave or more recently Macbeth, then try and tell me Craig has delivered acting that level outside of OFITN and maybe Love & The Devil or The Mother but I just haven't seen DC do much outside of those to think he's as gifted as Fassbender.

I like his performance alot in TGWDT but it's no huge leap. I hope Purity can show us his drama chops once again but Fassbender is far more a chameleon.

Fair enough back up your boy becaue he's Bond but first tell what he's done that would compare to what Fassbender has done since he was in Hunger, he has one of the most impressive filmographies of recent times of any actor of his generation.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm sorry but witnessing what Fassbender has done like Hunger and Shame and also his terrifying performance in 12 Years a Slave, the only time Craig has got to this level is Our Friends In The North and that was a long time ago.

You need to obviously know his output which it sounds like you only know his more mainstream work.

Watch his performance in Hunger, Shame, Fish Tank and 12 Years a Slave or more recently Macbeth, then try and tell me Craig has delivered acting that level outside of OFITN and maybe Love & The Devil or The Mother but I just haven't seen DC do much outside of those to think he's as gifted as Fassbender.

I like his performance alot in TGWDT but it's no huge leap. I hope Purity can show us his drama chops once again but Fassbender is far more a chameleon.

Fair enough back up your boy becaue he's Bond but first tell what he's done that would compare to what Fassbender has done since he was in Hunger, he has one of the most impressive filmographies of recent times of any actor of his generation.

Have to agree here. Fassbender's output and diversity of roles in the last 10 years alone is incredible and Craig hasn't come anywhere significantly close.
    Fassbender could have people forgetting about Craig very quickly IMO. Better actor. More charisma. Bigger screen presence.

He would be fantastic, IF they sorted out the writing and got the right director.
    Cant wait for Craig in Bond 25. Yea I'm gonna be that overly confident guy that he is coming back
    Fassbender would be a very boring and uninspired choice. Next.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't say I get the whole Fassbender as Bond thing either. Maybe he'd be interesting, but nothing about it gets me excited.

The sad thing is that, if Dan does sign on for Bond 25 and returns to the role, everyone will have already moved on from him with the idea that they were getting a new Bond, and his return will be looked at as a massive disappointment because of that. People are taking all these bookie reports and so-called "insider" sources as gospel and are only setting themselves up for major disappointment, because not only do I think we won't ever see any of these names thrown around appear as Bond, I think Dan will most certainly return.

I predict childish cries and whining when Dan signs on for Bond 25, to the tune of, "Craig AGAIN?" or "I thought we were getting Fassbender, not him again." I don't think that reaction would be below some here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think any of us are taking these things as "gospel," @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but merely entertaining the idea since we've got a whole lot of nothing in terms of concrete information for nearly one year now.

If he returns, I'll be indifferent about it - not overly excited, but not disappointed, either. I'll just look to the future and hope they don't bungle 'Bond 25' too much.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459

Thanks for the intel @ColonelSun

I know in the past that you've spoken about your role in the film industry. I also believe you worked with EON in the past.

Do you know if Craig is more "in" than "out" at the moment? If he is indeed out, is it likely that Fassbender will get it?

Also, in your approximation, will we hear something official? The waiting game is killing us all?

In my opinion, if Fassbender gets the role, he would blow Craig's legacy out of the window. He would become the definitive 007.

tumblr_m6vojpqayn1rpf3ng.jpg

Yes, I did work for Eon many moons ago. Have great respect for Barbara, she knows what she is doing and has a very good eye for casting, and that's why I believe the little whispers here and there that she's focused on Fassbender. It make perfect sense, part from him being perfect, that can't cast a light-weight actor after Craig, they need a strong and classy actor who will also take the role his own way - and Fassbender will do that for sure. I also believe Craig is done, so Fassbender is my personal choice to be Bond and I suspect, and from those whispers, he's Eon's top choice too.

Thanks very much, @ColonelSun. I was going to ask you your opinion of Fassbender and these rumors. I personally would be happy if he is the next Bond, so I hope you are right. :)

However, I do not expect him to blow "Craig's legacy out of the water", @Pierce2Daniel. No. But I do think he could be an excellent Bond.

No need to pit one great Bond (Craig) against anybody at this point. He may be finished with the role, but it is still NOT official. It also feels a bit churlish to me to be totally dismissing Daniel Craig now.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think sometimes we get caught up in seeing the different actors in some type of competition. If, Fassbender does take on the role, and does an incredible job in it, it does nothing to take away what Craig did in his era, or Sean did in his and Roger in his and so on.
    If tonight I eat at a restaurant and have an outstanding meal then go to another tomorrow night and also have a great meal does it take away from the previous? No.
    I for one try not to look at this as a competition.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Exactly, @talos7. I appreciate every Bond (ok except Laz). I don't look at it as competition. I am thankful the series continues and new Bonds bring something new and fresh each time.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Fassbender could have people forgetting about Craig very quickly IMO. Better actor. More charisma. Bigger screen presence.

He would be fantastic, IF they sorted out the writing and got the right director.
    I agree. It all depends on the writing and the director, but I certainly won't miss Craig if they cast Fassbender. I doubt it will happen though. I don't think they're doing anything with Bond at the moment personally.
    I can't say I get the whole Fassbender as Bond thing either. Maybe he'd be interesting, but nothing about it gets me excited.

The sad thing is that, if Dan does sign on for Bond 25 and returns to the role, everyone will have already moved on from him with the idea that they were getting a new Bond, and his return will be looked at as a massive disappointment because of that. People are taking all these bookie reports and so-called "insider" sources as gospel and are only setting themselves up for major disappointment, because not only do I think we won't ever see any of these names thrown around appear as Bond, I think Dan will most certainly return.

I predict childish cries and whining when Dan signs on for Bond 25, to the tune of, "Craig AGAIN?" or "I thought we were getting Fassbender, not him again." I don't think that reaction would be below some here.

Agreed. This would happen most likely. Another reason, I don't want him to return. I actually pray, he doesn't.
    It'll be interesting to see what the source of the next rumor will be. So far we've had a bookie and a member of reddit driving the worldwide discussion regarding the next Bond.

As with the others, I don't think there's anything really to see here. First and foremost, Fassbender will be too old to take on the part if and when EON gets around to making the next one. Starting in your 40s would be fine if this was back in the day when they were able to get these films made in less than four years, but we're in a different time now. Fassbender would only get to make three films before we'd have to start this whole process all over again.
    dalton wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what the source of the next rumor will be. So far we've had a bookie and a member of reddit driving the worldwide discussion regarding the next Bond.

As with the others, I don't think there's anything really to see here. First and foremost, Fassbender will be too old to take on the part if and when EON gets around to making the next one. Starting in your 40s would be fine if this was back in the day when they were able to get these films made in less than four years, but we're in a different time now. Fassbender would only get to make three films before we'd have to start this whole process all over again.

I firmly believe they'd rather have a great actor play Bond for 3 films, if age was an issue, than have a younger actor who can't measure up to Craig but may (if the audience takes to him) last in the role longer. Eon will be far more focused on casting a strong actor than worrying if he'll make 3 or 4 films due to age. After all, they would have Craig for Bond 25 in a heartbeat even though he'll be 50 by then.

Personally, with the 3-4 year gap between films, I don't think we'll ever see an actor play Bond more than 4 times now, 5 at a push.