No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    It depends on EON and maybe they think following Craig they need someone that is nescessarily not going to be a nobody.

I'm not saying no don't cast someone unknown to the masses but if they are no other actor around is capable of this the way that Fassbender would be.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Age is not a problem ...they say they are still wanting Craig who is pushing 50.

The Bond franchise is in a different world than Cubby's. Very competitive. Nabbing a well known actor could be a big plus in getting Bond 25 on the go.

But will they pay for him? I dunno...

Is the rumor true or will this happen? Doubt both. We'll see.

If DC returns Eon will have gotten five films out of him. I seriously doubt Eon would want to start over a whole new Bond search after getting only two or three out of Fassbender.

• RC7RC7
    I have to say, sometimes I want him in the part, and other times I don't. In the aforementioned three films (my post), he nailed the part of the Bond template. But, some other decisions in picking roles he made really put me off, which is why I'm not sure how I'd cope with his Bond profile while he goes to do some movie about a puppet-head-wearing rockstar.

The guy is an actor. Why do people who play him have to have shown consistent adherence to the template? The guy would make an incredible Bond. Plus, Frank is a bloody great film.
    He's the one actor that could step into the role and we wouldn't be missing Craig one bit.

No disrespect to Craig but Fassbender to me is a far more gifted actor and has played a variety of roles.

Bond has made DC famous but I think it has also robbed us of some great character work, since Bond Craig hasn't really gone there like he did earlier in his career.

Maybe Bond doesn't allow it but Fassbender balances his Hollywood output with more interesting work like Frank for instance, I just wish Craig had done this. TGWTDT is the only instance I can remember where Craig has delivered outside of Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Fassbender is not too famous. But there is still no real news I think. I much prefer him over other candidates, though. Hiddleston is, I hope, well and truly out of the running.

I don't mind a relatively unknown actor (who can really act) stepping into the role. Could easily be someone not mentioned yet.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Fassbender IS the man for the job.
    Fassbender IS the man for the job.
    Aside from you, of course. I saw your picture. :)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Please God, let it be Fassbender.
    If it's Fassbender directed by Nolan... holy smokes! That would make losing Craig (almost) worth it.
    Fassbender would be awesome
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Age is not a problem ...they say they are still wanting Craig who is pushing 50.

The Bond franchise is in a different world than Cubby's. Very competitive. Nabbing a well known actor could be a big plus in getting Bond 25 on the go.

But will they pay for him? I dunno...

Is the rumor true or will this happen? Doubt both. We'll see.

If DC returns Eon will have gotten five films out of him. I seriously doubt Eon would want to start over a whole new Bond search after getting only two or three out of Fassbender.

Why not? Actors are older ...it's not a big deal. Besides three or four is pretty much what to expect from any modern Bond.

RC7 wrote: »
    I have to say, sometimes I want him in the part, and other times I don't. In the aforementioned three films (my post), he nailed the part of the Bond template. But, some other decisions in picking roles he made really put me off, which is why I'm not sure how I'd cope with his Bond profile while he goes to do some movie about a puppet-head-wearing rockstar.

The guy is an actor. Why do people who play him have to have shown consistent adherence to the template? The guy would make an incredible Bond. Plus, Frank is a bloody great film.

I agree with all of this.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Till now i love the idea of Michael Fassbender very classicaly good looking and manly.

Just need to make the poll within my girls if they'd see a Bond flick with him. Most of them are not huge Bond fans but two of them have admitted that if they got an actor they find hot as Bond they would watch the franchise.

One told me she doesn't care for Bond because she hasn't been crazy about any of the actors and she doesn't like Craig's looks my other friend she does like him but not enough to get her into Bond.
    Once kidding I told her they should get Zac Efron and her eyes lighten up and said now you are talking.

so if Fassbender makes them swoon that would mean id start my campaign for him.

As much as many won't admit it Brosnan brought many females into the franchise because of his great looks and sex Appeal.

Reddit User: Michael Fassbender is EON's top choice for role.
    2016-01-03T035.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4xuj1c/michael_fassbender_is_broccolis_top_choice/

This from the same person who claimed that Steven Knight was writing and that Mendes shot Hiddleston's screentest.

Please be true.

Fassbender has all the necessary ingredients and some. EON have gone after more high-brow talent since signing Craig and I think Fassbender's appointment would fit with their current edict. Not only that, he's a terrifically talented actor who has name credibility. He's by far the most talented actor in the conversation currently.

I personally believe this report because I heard from solid sources (close associates) that Eon have had their eye on Fassbender for sometime.

For me, he's the best they could ever get. He'll own the part.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Sean Connery - Unknown
    George Lazenby - Unknown
    Roger Moore - well known
    Timothy Dalton - knownish
    Pierce Brosnan - Known
    Daniel Craig - Unknown
    Fassbender - Well known.

I'd be ecstatic with Fassbender though I want Daniel to do one more.

I think that list reflects the USA more than anything. Which has always been a vast market for selling Bond and is therefore very relevant.

In Britain however when they were casting Bond in the early 60s they took a poll of cinema goers and Connery was high on the list of preferred actors. So he was known in Britain. And likewise, although never considered a likely James Bond, Craig was also a known actor thanks to Our Friends In The North and Layer Cake.

As you rightly point out Internationally Moore and Brosnan were the most famous with Dalton knownish.

Lazenby was the only truly unknown actor in Europe and USA to take the role on.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Reddit User: Michael Fassbender is EON's top choice for role.
    2016-01-03T035.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4xuj1c/michael_fassbender_is_broccolis_top_choice/

This from the same person who claimed that Steven Knight was writing and that Mendes shot Hiddleston's screentest.

Please be true.

Fassbender has all the necessary ingredients and some. EON have gone after more high-brow talent since signing Craig and I think Fassbender's appointment would fit with their current edict. Not only that, he's a terrifically talented actor who has name credibility. He's by far the most talented actor in the conversation currently.

I personally believe this report because I heard from solid sources (close associates) that Eon have had their eye on Fassbender for sometime.

For me, he's the best they could ever get. He'll own the part.

Thanks for the intel @ColonelSun

I know in the past that you've spoken about your role in the film industry. I also believe you worked with EON in the past.

Do you know if Craig is more "in" than "out" at the moment? If he is indeed out, is it likely that Fassbender will get it?

Also, in your approximation, will we hear something official? The waiting game is killing us all?

In my opinion, if Fassbender gets the role, he would blow Craig's legacy out of the window. He would become the definitive 007.

tumblr_m6vojpqayn1rpf3ng.jpg
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,601
    THAT has yet to be seen. Would he be able to make people instantly forget DC the way, it seemed with Brosnan. On the other hand, with the first picture of each actor being very good, everything can happen. He does have the look, but who knows, if not something else is missing, that Daniel brought to the role. Time will tell - maybe. I doubt it, as he is and looks too old for having more then 3 in him. Do they want THAT?
  • //Time will tell - maybe. I doubt it, as he is and looks too old for having more then 3 in him. Do they want THAT?//

Given that the rate of production is downshifting -- two a decade may soon become the norm -- it's kind of irrelevant. I'm not sure any actor is going to want to dedicate more than a decade of his life to Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The "too old, he's over 40" assumption is plain ridiculous. 20 years ago that might have been relevant, but today a 70 year old actor can do the impossible.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Yes, possibly they would. After the mixed reception of SP especially in NA Fassbender would be a godsend to EoN, MGM, and any potential distributor.

Not that I think Fassbender is a far better actor than Craig but he is very well known to a significant audience.
  • Fassbender is 39. That's one year older than Craig was when he was cast and one year younger than when Timothy Dalton was when he was cast.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Well, he was 37 and cast. Fassy is not cast yet and production hasn't begun. I don't care, they can take Mickey Mouse really, as far as I am concerned, but its a point, I believe. But there are others, that would speak FOR him as well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In my opinion, if Fassbender gets the role, he would blow Craig's legacy out of the window. He would become the definitive 007.
    I'm inclined to agree. Fassbender is the total package. He could easily be definitive if cast. However, they'd better get on with it, because he's not getting any younger.
    Yes, possibly they would. After the mixed reception of SP especially in NA Fassbender would be a godsend to EoN, MGM, and any potential distributor.

Not that I think Fassbender is a far better actor than Craig but he is very well known to a significant audience.

Craig is a great actor and Bond has convinced some outside of the fan base he's quite one note and while he's made Bond more human and real the role is never going to showcase acting on the scale some roles do.

Craig did earlier in his career flex his acting muscles much more, especially in OFITN but even with that said you only have to look at Fassbender's C.V to see the varied amount of roles he's had and the risks he's taken (Hunger) to see that Fassy quite outstrips Craig as an actor.

I'm still open to Craig returning as long as it's not SPECTRE 2 but Fassbender would totally own the role and possibly make many say they aren't missing DC one bit and I think this might be EON's strategy.

Rather than hire a relatively unknown actor they are going for a name, that being said MF has only recently entered into the A-list and he's no Tom Cruise level star, not a household name so his appointment might not be that much of a stretch.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,690
    IMO the problem is not the age, but hiatus between films, whether by bad luck (MGM problem) or just EON slowing it down (SF to SP, SP to Bond 25 if Craig returns).

Craig is a fantastic Bond but he was totally wasted in the role. By that I mean number of films made. Had everything gone to plan without problems, he could have made 6 films thus being up there with the 2 greats (Connery and Moore) in terms of amount of films. And even if that that had happened (Craig's 6th in 2016), Fassbender would have been 41 in 2018, young enough to make 5 films before reaching 50 years of age.

I know this is most likely wishful thinking, and EON will never make new films on a regular 2 year basis for a decade or more. But please, when we get a pure beast as Bond (Craig, and possibly Fassbender) I want them to make as many films as possible. Everyone is making 3/4 films in franchises now thanks to all the superheroes stuff. Let Bond have the upper hand by getting the lead star to make at least 5 films.
    Hear, hear! 5 films for each actor. That needs to happen on a regular basis. 3-4 seems too paltry.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Thanks for the intel @ColonelSun

I know in the past that you've spoken about your role in the film industry. I also believe you worked with EON in the past.

Do you know if Craig is more "in" than "out" at the moment? If he is indeed out, is it likely that Fassbender will get it?

Also, in your approximation, will we hear something official? The waiting game is killing us all?

tumblr_m6vojpqayn1rpf3ng.jpg

Yes, I did work for Eon many moons ago. Have great respect for Barbara, she knows what she is doing and has a very good eye for casting, and that's why I believe the little whispers here and there that she's focused on Fassbender. It make perfect sense, part from him being perfect, that can't cast a light-weight actor after Craig, they need a strong and classy actor who will also take the role his own way - and Fassbender will do that for sure. I also believe Craig is done, so Fassbender is my personal choice to be Bond and I suspect, and from those whispers, he's Eon's top choice too.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It depends on EON and maybe they think following Craig they need someone that is nescessarily not going to be a nobody.

I'm not saying no don't cast someone unknown to the masses but if they are no other actor around is capable of this the way that Fassbender would be.

I reckon Bond sells Bond. The brand, the name, the formula etc so I don't think you need a big or established name actor. Why not try and find someone fresh. If everyone else is terrible then go with a more established actor but I feel trying to find someone relatively new is the best plan A option. If it doesn't work, go with plan B. :)

As for Fassbender as the definitive Bond, I don't see it. 'Hyperbole' is the curse of the internet!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Well, he was 37 and cast. Fassy is not cast yet and production hasn't begun. I don't care, they can take Mickey Mouse really, as far as I am concerned, but its a point, I believe. But there are others, that would speak FOR him as well.

I'll condede 37 (technically, Craig was closer to 38 than 37, at 37 years, seven months, 12 days, on Oct. 14, 2005, when his casting was announced). It still stands that Fassbender is of an age when other Bonds were cast. Besides Craig and Dalton, you can add Brosnan at 41 (the casting that stuck, not the one that came undone) and Moore at 44-45 (he turned 45 during the filming of Live And Let Die).

Whether you like Fassbender or not, he hasn't reached the "too old" stage, assuming Bond 25 begins production this decade.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think Fassbender would be a great choice but he is atypical when it comes to the modern day school of youthful looking actors; he looks his age; that should not be a problem especially if they want to keep this timeline.