No Time To Die: Production Diary

1249824992501250325042585

Comments

  • Posts: 5,390
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    It's the dig at the Craig that makes me doubt Baz's writing here.

    "The reluctant Bond....playing the reluctant Bond" is a very cheap jab, and a bit out of character for someone who, even if his sources of the script issues are accurate, has always been a fan of Craig himself. One of the few in the British press, it must be said.

    This is what makes me feel he has a chip on his shoulder in this particular instance, and that casts a bit of a shadow over the rest of the article. The whole thing feels off to the point that it doesn't actually feel like Baz typed it. He has been a great source for the last couple of films, for sure, but the way this entire article is framed feels reactionary.

    We've all seen the cast/crew photos over on the Filming Thread. Looks like they're having a ball so far, and that suggests to me that the script issues are being greatly exaggerated even if they do have merit.

    Other than the die hards, most casual viewers remember the line about slashing his wrist rather than playing the role. Thats what's engraved in public memory. Hence the quip about the reluctant bond

    Casual fans don't remember what happened yesterday, let alone what was said in an article from five years ago. It's the Craig-haters and media that keep bringing it up.

    The casual fans don't really give a toss, I'd wager.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger San Demonique
    Posts: 35,999
    peter wrote: »
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    It's the dig at the Craig that makes me doubt Baz's writing here.

    "The reluctant Bond....playing the reluctant Bond" is a very cheap jab, and a bit out of character for someone who, even if his sources of the script issues are accurate, has always been a fan of Craig himself. One of the few in the British press, it must be said.

    This is what makes me feel he has a chip on his shoulder in this particular instance, and that casts a bit of a shadow over the rest of the article. The whole thing feels off to the point that it doesn't actually feel like Baz typed it. He has been a great source for the last couple of films, for sure, but the way this entire article is framed feels reactionary.

    We've all seen the cast/crew photos over on the Filming Thread. Looks like they're having a ball so far, and that suggests to me that the script issues are being greatly exaggerated even if they do have merit.

    Other than the die hards, most casual viewers remember the line about slashing his wrist rather than playing the role. Thats what's engraved in public memory. Hence the quip about the reluctant bond

    Casual fans don't remember what happened yesterday, let alone what was said in an article from five years ago. It's the Craig-haters and media that keep bringing it up.

    The casual fans don't really give a toss, I'd wager.

    Have never heard a single soul mention it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    It's the dig at the Craig that makes me doubt Baz's writing here.

    "The reluctant Bond....playing the reluctant Bond" is a very cheap jab, and a bit out of character for someone who, even if his sources of the script issues are accurate, has always been a fan of Craig himself. One of the few in the British press, it must be said.

    This is what makes me feel he has a chip on his shoulder in this particular instance, and that casts a bit of a shadow over the rest of the article. The whole thing feels off to the point that it doesn't actually feel like Baz typed it. He has been a great source for the last couple of films, for sure, but the way this entire article is framed feels reactionary.

    We've all seen the cast/crew photos over on the Filming Thread. Looks like they're having a ball so far, and that suggests to me that the script issues are being greatly exaggerated even if they do have merit.

    Other than the die hards, most casual viewers remember the line about slashing his wrist rather than playing the role. Thats what's engraved in public memory. Hence the quip about the reluctant bond

    So Craig's legacy to the casual fan is the "slashing his wrists" comment and not the fact he starred in a billion dollar Bond, during a time where the series was more popular than ever thanks to his reinvention of the character in '06?

    Sorry mate. That's nonsense.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 590
    I'm looking at this as multiple things quite possibly being true.
    • There's no questioning Baz's credibility . Even breaking Seydoux, Nyong'o near-miss this time 'round. He doesn't make stuff up.
    • Entirely possible that the script is still in flex on a scene-by-scene basis as they try and make it as good as it can be. That doesn't mean what they're working from is bad. Or that it's unfinished.
    • It could simply be a case that the core creative team is being extremely tight with the collective current draft and only providing scenes, sides etc. as necessary to the crew on a daily basis. That can be both for security purposes, and because they're still working on it.
    • Of course, on the surface, that would seem to be a "mess" -- given that the last two films had at least relatively baked scripts heading into production. SPECTRE had a lot of finale changes, we've heard. But if you're a crew member or department head who's used to getting the complete doc in hand before you shoot, and that didn't happen this time 'round, you'd be liable to be a bit cranky too. And understandably so. The price of respecting that process is that your job's harder to do.
    • Never underestimate the interpersonal dynamics going on that can lead to "sources" commenting on things like this. There's been a lot of change on B25 in the production machine itself -- presumably, a lot of shifting, people coming and going in the Boyle/Fukunaga switch. We can't really know if/how hard that's been on some of the crew. Entirely plausible there's some bad blood, particularly from Boyle-enlisted crew who've stuck around. You'd like to think they'd be all-in and grateful to be working on the film, but you can never know. It's probably not beyond some folks, if they feel slighted, to be saying these sorts of things to the press.

    All just bits of fun speculation there. I guess it boils down to the fact these situations/productions can be very complex, and we've no way of knowing which mix of factors leads to something like this.

    Even if the script's in flux and they're still working on it -- that only means they're making it better. Which is the ideal goal, isn't it?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I'm looking at this as multiple things quite possibly being true.
    • There's no questioning Baz's credibility . Even breaking Seydoux, Nyong'o near-miss this time 'round. He doesn't make stuff up.
    • Entirely possible that the script is still in flex on a scene-by-scene basis as they try and make it as good as it can be. That doesn't mean what they're working from is bad. Or that it's unfinished.
    • It could simply be a case that the core creative team is being extremely tight with the collective current draft and only providing scenes, sides etc. as necessary to the crew on a daily basis. That can be both for security purposes, and because they're still working on it.
    • Of course, on the surface, that would seem to be a "mess" -- given that the last two films had at least relatively baked scripts heading into production. SPECTRE had a lot of finale changes, we've heard. But if you're a crew member or department head who's used to getting the complete doc in hand before you shoot, and that didn't happen this time 'round, you'd be liable to be a bit cranky too. And understandably so. The price of respecting that process is that your job's harder to do.
    • Never underestimate the interpersonal dynamics going on that can lead to "sources" commenting on things like this. There's been a lot of change on B25 in the production machine itself -- presumably, a lot of shifting, people coming and going in the Boyle/Fukunaga switch. We can't really know if/how hard that's been on some of the crew. Entirely plausible there's some bad blood, particularly from Boyle-enlisted crew who've stuck around. You'd like to think they'd be all-in and grateful to be working on the film, but you can never know. It's probably not beyond some folks, if they feel slighted, to be saying these sorts of things to the press.

    All just bits of fun speculation there. I guess it boils down to the fact these situations/productions can be very complex, and we've no way of knowing which mix of factors leads to something like this.

    Even if the script's in flux and they're still working on it -- that only means they're making it better. Which is the ideal goal, isn't it?

    source.gif
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Posts: 3,126
    Benny wrote: »
    When CR was in production there were almost daily stories as to the problems the film was in. Endless comments as to why the film would fail.
    Back then, I waited to judge the finished film for myself. After all, I watch the movies for my own enjoyment, not that of a critic. I can make my own mind up believe it or not.
    I'll do the same with Bond 25 in April 2020.

    +1
  • Posts: 590
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    When CR was in production there were almost daily stories as to the problems the film was in. Endless comments as to why the film would fail.
    Back then, I waited to judge the finished film for myself. After all, I watch the movies for my own enjoyment, not that of a critic. I can make my own mind up believe it or not.
    I'll do the same with Bond 25 in April 2020.

    +1

    +2
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ocean Club, Bahamas.
    Posts: 2,839
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    The reaction to Baz were so utterly predictable and sad. He has an excellent track record but now that he wrote a negative story about Bond 25, he is suddenly not trustworthy, has an inflated ego, and is a thankless bastard?? Have you guys heard of the term "don't shoot the messenger"? Don't you think your anger should be perhaps directed at EON for not learning their lesson after the messy script writing process of Spectre?
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Almost all productions have re-writes of various degrees through out production, it is completely standard.
    Here we go again... "This is completely normal, nothing to see here! Disperse!"

    For the umpteenth time, there is a huge difference between starting filming with a more or less finished script, and then doing small rewrites during filming AND starting filming with a completely unfinished script and having to write a significant portion of the script after filming has begun.

    But it is all speculation and rumors so far. Why directing any anger at all? There will be a new Bond movie out next year (no speculation) and that should make us as fans happy! We all should judge after we‘ve seen the final movie.

    Panchito likes to stir up negativity.

  • Posts: 2,995
    Does anyone have any opinions on Naomie Harris speaking at the GQ Hereos Summit, when she said: "Phoebe Waller-Bridge is going to ramp up the female perspective on Bond 25. The Bond of old, his days are numbered." She's certainly suggesting that the writer will shake up what's come to be expected of the character. I'm not sure how I should express how feel about her "The Bond of old, his days are numbered" remark.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,092
    The “ ...days are numbered “ is unfortunate, ominous and sad.
  • AgentM72 wrote: »
    I'm looking at this as multiple things quite possibly being true.
    • There's no questioning Baz's credibility . Even breaking Seydoux, Nyong'o near-miss this time 'round. He doesn't make stuff up.
    • Entirely possible that the script is still in flex on a scene-by-scene basis as they try and make it as good as it can be. That doesn't mean what they're working from is bad. Or that it's unfinished.
    • It could simply be a case that the core creative team is being extremely tight with the collective current draft and only providing scenes, sides etc. as necessary to the crew on a daily basis. That can be both for security purposes, and because they're still working on it.
    • Of course, on the surface, that would seem to be a "mess" -- given that the last two films had at least relatively baked scripts heading into production. SPECTRE had a lot of finale changes, we've heard. But if you're a crew member or department head who's used to getting the complete doc in hand before you shoot, and that didn't happen this time 'round, you'd be liable to be a bit cranky too. And understandably so. The price of respecting that process is that your job's harder to do.
    • Never underestimate the interpersonal dynamics going on that can lead to "sources" commenting on things like this. There's been a lot of change on B25 in the production machine itself -- presumably, a lot of shifting, people coming and going in the Boyle/Fukunaga switch. We can't really know if/how hard that's been on some of the crew. Entirely plausible there's some bad blood, particularly from Boyle-enlisted crew who've stuck around. You'd like to think they'd be all-in and grateful to be working on the film, but you can never know. It's probably not beyond some folks, if they feel slighted, to be saying these sorts of things to the press.

    All just bits of fun speculation there. I guess it boils down to the fact these situations/productions can be very complex, and we've no way of knowing which mix of factors leads to something like this.

    Even if the script's in flux and they're still working on it -- that only means they're making it better. Which is the ideal goal, isn't it?

    There seems to be a very haughty perception of the British media from this website - much of it deserved - but the bitching about a credible hack with a good track record of Bond scoops is snide.
    The film has undeniably been beset by production problems and the belated hiring of Waller-Bridge is another indication Eon or Craig are unsatisfied with the script. The official synopsis is intriguing enough to be reassuring, then again so was Spectre's and that was a deluxe Quantum...
  • Posts: 952
    bondsum wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions on Naomie Harris speaking at the GQ Hereos Summit, when she said: "Phoebe Waller-Bridge is going to ramp up the female perspective on Bond 25. The Bond of old, his days are numbered." She's certainly suggesting that the writer will shake up what's come to be expected of the character. I'm not sure how I should express how feel about her "The Bond of old, his days are numbered" remark.
    “The Bond of old” could mean many things. Ultimately it is necessary to progress the character. The series has done such a fantastic job from Dalton, Brosnan and Craig’s era with updating Bond’s attitude towards women. I would very much like to see this continue.

  • Posts: 22
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    It's the dig at the Craig that makes me doubt Baz's writing here.

    "The reluctant Bond....playing the reluctant Bond" is a very cheap jab, and a bit out of character for someone who, even if his sources of the script issues are accurate, has always been a fan of Craig himself. One of the few in the British press, it must be said.

    This is what makes me feel he has a chip on his shoulder in this particular instance, and that casts a bit of a shadow over the rest of the article. The whole thing feels off to the point that it doesn't actually feel like Baz typed it. He has been a great source for the last couple of films, for sure, but the way this entire article is framed feels reactionary.

    We've all seen the cast/crew photos over on the Filming Thread. Looks like they're having a ball so far, and that suggests to me that the script issues are being greatly exaggerated even if they do have merit.

    Other than the die hards, most casual viewers remember the line about slashing his wrist rather than playing the role. Thats what's engraved in public memory. Hence the quip about the reluctant bond

    So Craig's legacy to the casual fan is the "slashing his wrists" comment and not the fact he starred in a billion dollar Bond, during a time where the series was more popular than ever thanks to his reinvention of the character in '06?

    Sorry mate. That's nonsense.

    Why can't both be in public memory, He made a billion dollars with Skyfall and after Spectre he said he'd rather slash his wrist rather than do more. Casual fans wouldn't look at it as black and white as you do.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Posts: 1,739
    Costume Designer Colleen Morris On Working On The Period Musical Film ‘Bolden’
    https://blackfilm.com/read/2019/05/costume-designer-colleen-morris-on-working-on-the-period-musical-film-bolden/

    NG: Anything new in the works for you?

    CM: Yes. I’m going to be working on the new ‘James Bond’ movie. As you do know, I’m a Jamaican. Ian Fleming wrote all of those books in Jamaica. I’ve been to GoldenEye and touched his desk. I love ‘Bond’. It will be an exciting time.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ocean Club, Bahamas.
    Posts: 2,839
    bondsum wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinions on Naomie Harris speaking at the GQ Hereos Summit, when she said: "Phoebe Waller-Bridge is going to ramp up the female perspective on Bond 25. The Bond of old, his days are numbered." She's certainly suggesting that the writer will shake up what's come to be expected of the character. I'm not sure how I should express how feel about her "The Bond of old, his days are numbered" remark.

    That's actually not a very smart remark.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    It's the dig at the Craig that makes me doubt Baz's writing here.

    "The reluctant Bond....playing the reluctant Bond" is a very cheap jab, and a bit out of character for someone who, even if his sources of the script issues are accurate, has always been a fan of Craig himself. One of the few in the British press, it must be said.

    This is what makes me feel he has a chip on his shoulder in this particular instance, and that casts a bit of a shadow over the rest of the article. The whole thing feels off to the point that it doesn't actually feel like Baz typed it. He has been a great source for the last couple of films, for sure, but the way this entire article is framed feels reactionary.

    We've all seen the cast/crew photos over on the Filming Thread. Looks like they're having a ball so far, and that suggests to me that the script issues are being greatly exaggerated even if they do have merit.

    Other than the die hards, most casual viewers remember the line about slashing his wrist rather than playing the role. Thats what's engraved in public memory. Hence the quip about the reluctant bond

    So Craig's legacy to the casual fan is the "slashing his wrists" comment and not the fact he starred in a billion dollar Bond, during a time where the series was more popular than ever thanks to his reinvention of the character in '06?

    Sorry mate. That's nonsense.

    Why can't both be in public memory, He made a billion dollars with Skyfall and after Spectre he said he'd rather slash his wrist rather than do more. Casual fans wouldn't look at it as black and white as you do.

    That's not what you said, though. You said they remember the slash comment rather than him playing the role, which is incorrect.

    You don't know what way most casual fans would see it. There's millions of them.

    All I can say is that almost everyone in my circle, most of whom are casual fans and not a die hard like myself, haven't a bulls notion of what the wrist slashing thing is about. Some of them aren't even aware of Bond 25 developments, which in itself is a problem but a separate one and one that will be solved as production cranks itself up even further.

    What they DO certainly remember is Craig coming out of the sea in his Speedos, trying on the tux for the first time, and standing over Mr. White with the UMP in his hand in CR. They remember the homoerotic scene with Silva on the island, the burning lodge in Scotland and M's death in Skyfall. They remember 2012 as being massively Bond-centric. They remember his swagger as he walked across the rooftops in Mexico City in Spectre.

    These are the things that etch themselves into the public's consciousness. These are things that people will remember about Craig's Bond.

    And yes, while that's only my group and I can't be 100% sure beyond them - I'd be very surprised if most casual fans aren't the same.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "Better cold with them on, than dead with them off, I always say."Moderator
    Posts: 11,138
    What category of fan they are is not for me to say (nor do I know), but I can say for a fact that I still see it bring up the wrist slashing comment online (not this forum).
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Posts: 243
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Costume Designer Colleen Morris On Working On The Period Musical Film ‘Bolden’
    https://blackfilm.com/read/2019/05/costume-designer-colleen-morris-on-working-on-the-period-musical-film-bolden/

    NG: Anything new in the works for you?

    CM: Yes. I’m going to be working on the new ‘James Bond’ movie. As you do know, I’m a Jamaican. Ian Fleming wrote all of those books in Jamaica. I’ve been to GoldenEye and touched his desk. I love ‘Bond’. It will be an exciting time.

    So is she going to work with suttarit lalarb? Can't imagine they would replace a costume designer this late in production.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Posts: 1,739
    Fleabag is her dark side and psychotic assassin in Killing Eve... Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the shows that have made her name – and how she's going to spice up Bond
    https://dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7001777/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-shows-shes-going-spice-Bond.html

    Today, when we meet in LA, she's thinking about Bond.

    Or rather, she's trying not to think about it too much because that way madness lies.

    'It's amazing to be part of something that has such a history and that you know will reach so many people.

    'But I can't think about that too much because I just go, "Whoa!"

    So when I start to do that, I stop myself and zone back into the writing, thinking of the characters as just people who are going to say things, like in any script.

    'But, yes, it is exciting too!'

    [...] Daniel discussed ways to improve the Bond script with her, and apparently he liked what the off-beat comedian had to say about it, because last month it was announced she'd been hired to polish the script with her trademark 'wit and quirkiness'.

    'Although it's a proper collaboration,' she adds hastily.

    'We have a script and we're continuing to work on it, all of us floating ideas around and creating characters together.

    'I love the character of Bond. I love that he exists in a grey area, in that he does terrible things and yet he does them for the right reasons.

    Nowadays we have questions about patriotism – is it worth all of this that Bond does, is it worth taking a life? I think these are very pertinent questions these days.'

    Ask her what it's like to be only the second female Bond writer ever (the first was Johanna Harwood, who worked on Dr No and From Russia With Love) and she shrugs.

    'I'm delighted to be part of it. The franchise is headed by a woman, Barbara Broccoli, and certainly during Daniel's tenure there have been some amazing female characters.

    'I hope to continue that and bring in whatever spice I can to it.'

    She carefully doesn't add that it undoubtedly attracted Daniel when considering her that of all five writers currently credited on the project – the others being Bond veterans Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, Scott Z Burns, and director Fukunaga – she is not just the only woman writer, but the only writer who's also an actor.

    But it becomes plain from talking to her that this is something that's very much on her mind.

    'You've got to make sure the actors have something fun to work with,' she says firmly.

    'I don't mean fun as in, "Woo-hoo!" But I do find, from an actor's point of view, that playing something that shows a twist, or a surprise, or something about a character that people didn't expect to see, is something that really grounds me in my character.

    'One thing I'm doing here is making sure there's an authenticity to these characters so that the actors have something solid they can hold onto.'
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Fleabag is her dark side and psychotic assassin in Killing Eve... Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the shows that have made her name – and how she's going to spice up Bond
    https://dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7001777/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-shows-shes-going-spice-Bond.html

    Today, when we meet in LA, she's thinking about Bond.

    Or rather, she's trying not to think about it too much because that way madness lies.

    'It's amazing to be part of something that has such a history and that you know will reach so many people.

    'But I can't think about that too much because I just go, "Whoa!"

    So when I start to do that, I stop myself and zone back into the writing, thinking of the characters as just people who are going to say things, like in any script.

    'But, yes, it is exciting too!'

    [...] Daniel discussed ways to improve the Bond script with her, and apparently he liked what the off-beat comedian had to say about it, because last month it was announced she'd been hired to polish the script with her trademark 'wit and quirkiness'.

    'Although it's a proper collaboration,' she adds hastily.

    'We have a script and we're continuing to work on it, all of us floating ideas around and creating characters together.

    'I love the character of Bond. I love that he exists in a grey area, in that he does terrible things and yet he does them for the right reasons.

    Nowadays we have questions about patriotism – is it worth all of this that Bond does, is it worth taking a life? I think these are very pertinent questions these days.'

    Ask her what it's like to be only the second female Bond writer ever (the first was Johanna Harwood, who worked on Dr No and From Russia With Love) and she shrugs.

    'I'm delighted to be part of it. The franchise is headed by a woman, Barbara Broccoli, and certainly during Daniel's tenure there have been some amazing female characters.

    'I hope to continue that and bring in whatever spice I can to it.'

    She carefully doesn't add that it undoubtedly attracted Daniel when considering her that of all five writers currently credited on the project – the others being Bond veterans Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, Scott Z Burns, and director Fukunaga – she is not just the only woman writer, but the only writer who's also an actor.

    But it becomes plain from talking to her that this is something that's very much on her mind.

    'You've got to make sure the actors have something fun to work with,' she says firmly.

    'I don't mean fun as in, "Woo-hoo!" But I do find, from an actor's point of view, that playing something that shows a twist, or a surprise, or something about a character that people didn't expect to see, is something that really grounds me in my character.

    'One thing I'm doing here is making sure there's an authenticity to these characters so that the actors have something solid they can hold onto.'

    Can't argue too much against that. PWB is a great asset and she definitely understands character. Very glad to have her.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 3,799
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Fleabag is her dark side and psychotic assassin in Killing Eve... Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the shows that have made her name – and how she's going to spice up Bond
    https://dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7001777/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-shows-shes-going-spice-Bond.html

    Today, when we meet in LA, she's thinking about Bond.

    Or rather, she's trying not to think about it too much because that way madness lies.

    'It's amazing to be part of something that has such a history and that you know will reach so many people.

    'But I can't think about that too much because I just go, "Whoa!"

    So when I start to do that, I stop myself and zone back into the writing, thinking of the characters as just people who are going to say things, like in any script.

    'But, yes, it is exciting too!'

    [...] Daniel discussed ways to improve the Bond script with her, and apparently he liked what the off-beat comedian had to say about it, because last month it was announced she'd been hired to polish the script with her trademark 'wit and quirkiness'.

    'Although it's a proper collaboration,' she adds hastily.

    'We have a script and we're continuing to work on it, all of us floating ideas around and creating characters together.

    'I love the character of Bond. I love that he exists in a grey area, in that he does terrible things and yet he does them for the right reasons.

    Nowadays we have questions about patriotism – is it worth all of this that Bond does, is it worth taking a life? I think these are very pertinent questions these days.'

    Ask her what it's like to be only the second female Bond writer ever (the first was Johanna Harwood, who worked on Dr No and From Russia With Love) and she shrugs.

    'I'm delighted to be part of it. The franchise is headed by a woman, Barbara Broccoli, and certainly during Daniel's tenure there have been some amazing female characters.

    'I hope to continue that and bring in whatever spice I can to it.'

    She carefully doesn't add that it undoubtedly attracted Daniel when considering her that of all five writers currently credited on the project – the others being Bond veterans Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, Scott Z Burns, and director Fukunaga – she is not just the only woman writer, but the only writer who's also an actor.

    But it becomes plain from talking to her that this is something that's very much on her mind.

    'You've got to make sure the actors have something fun to work with,' she says firmly.

    'I don't mean fun as in, "Woo-hoo!" But I do find, from an actor's point of view, that playing something that shows a twist, or a surprise, or something about a character that people didn't expect to see, is something that really grounds me in my character.

    'One thing I'm doing here is making sure there's an authenticity to these characters so that the actors have something solid they can hold onto.'

    YES!

    Whatever disaray is being reported about the script, I think the fact that such talents as Fukunaga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge are working on the project, is enough to excite me.

    The franchise needs younger, edgy and (importantly) British blood in the writing team. PWB is exactly what the series needs.

    I just finished the second series of Fleabag (though I'll admit I found the first more raucous and mischievous) it's clear she understands people and wants to project authenticity. Some of the Bond dialogue can be tin-earred at the best of times, this hopefully won't be the case with PWB.

    Hopefully, PWB becomes Eon's new writer and replaces Purvis and Wade. She's the heir apparent and long may she reign.

    phoebe-waller-bridge-attends-fleabag-opening-night-party-at-news-photo-1134398777-1555295866.jpg?crop=0.670xw:1.00xh;0.136xw,0&resize=480:*
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    Posts: 243
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge Cary Fukunaga and Scott Z Burns needs to be the new writing team for the franchise, Purvis and Wade have to go since they can never write a proper script by themselves.
  • Posts: 2,476
    As I said before, it's great that the script is being 'rescued' by these hands as opposed to P&W. For all we know, they could pull off what McQuarrie did on Mission and make a fantastic movie out of it. That in the 4 year gap all P&W could come up is an apparent clonker is unfortunate and concerning but again, couldn't be in better hands right now.
  • Posts: 9,997
    antovolk wrote: »
    As I said before, it's great that the script is being 'rescued' by these hands as opposed to P&W. For all we know, they could pull off what McQuarrie did on Mission and make a fantastic movie out of it. That in the 4 year gap all P&W could come up is an apparent clonker is unfortunate and concerning but again, couldn't be in better hands right now.

    No telling for sure if the result will be good or bad, but I certainly feel a lot better with proven writers like Burns and Waller-Bridge on board rather than only P&W.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Posts: 440
    Rory Kinnear on the script:

    Norton: When you make a Bond film, how much of the script are you given, and will you be filming at Pinewood for Bond 25?
    Kinnear: We are allowed the whole script, yes.
    Norton: Really!?
    Kinnear: Like adults, we’re allowed to read the whole thing. And we do our three to four pages within it.
    Norton: Do you know anything about it, are you going on fabulous locations this time or are you just sat in set?
    Kinnear: Well I think Pinewood is a fabulous enough location. It’s a beautiful part of England. And you can create any universe you want in those studios.

    (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000541j)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    antovolk wrote: »
    As I said before, it's great that the script is being 'rescued' by these hands as opposed to P&W. For all we know, they could pull off what McQuarrie did on Mission and make a fantastic movie out of it. That in the 4 year gap all P&W could come up is an apparent clonker is unfortunate and concerning but again, couldn't be in better hands right now.

    It all feels very fresh and hopefully that feeling is reflected onscreen. I look forward to the film having a very sharp bite.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger San Demonique
    Posts: 35,999
    What category of fan they are is not for me to say (nor do I know), but I can say for a fact that I still see it bring up the wrist slashing comment online (not this forum).

    Let me guess: In the commentary field of the online news sites who themselves constantly bring it up?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 6,215
    Casual fans just go and see the latest Bond films. And enjoy them.
  • Posts: 5,390
    Casual fans just go and see the latest Bond films. And enjoy them.

    Well put. Very tidy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 4,521
    peter wrote: »
    Casual fans just go and see the latest Bond films. And enjoy them.

    Well put. Very tidy.

    It is that simple.
Sign In or Register to comment.