No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Denbigh wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Could the young girl playing the cello, be the girl who was cast?

https://stbenedicts.org.uk/the-middle-school-concert
    If it is, we can rule out the flashback theory.
    And the daughter theory.
    Quite.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    To me the big question still is whether Purvis and Wade picked up with their old (abandoned) draft, or if they picked up the Hodge draft and reworked it.
    I think it's the abandoned draft or they started from scratch of a rough outline

But we don’t know for sure?
    Lots of conflicting info on that, so no.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 565

Is it just me, or does the concept of spy film fanatics internet stalking a teenage girl come across as a bit...concerning?

BTW, it doesn't throw out the daughter theory per se (not that I believe or believed it anyway). What if she wasn't biological?
    I think the most likely contention was amount of action. He was fired not long after MI6 came out, and we know how reactionary Bond films are. Boyle may have only wanted one big action sequence and BABS/Mickey G wanted more so they could compete with other big action franchises.

That’s a shame. It’s a pity Bond doesn’t compete with other thrillers as opposed to other action movies.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I am tired of speculation. Give us something, EON!

I'm tired of clicking the spoiler link just to read these posts.
    There really aren't any spoilers thus far as the film isn't even in production. It's all speculation. Unless multiple members here have read the script and know the film's plot.

There is a scene description that has been leaked due to a permit application.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 677
    Denbigh wrote: »

If it is, we can rule out the flashback theory.
    And the daughter theory.
    Yes, let's nip this in the bud early.

Although I might have to eat my words on that. Nah, I'm gonna risk it.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 5,767

There really aren't any spoilers thus far as the film isn't even in production. It's all speculation. Unless multiple members here have read the script and know the film's plot.
    Now that you Mention it, I think that´s one main Point why this thread is so boring and annoying lately, there´s much too much speculation. I remember now that for instance in the case of CR, a few People had got hold of script drafts. It was thrilling to peek into their commentaries, because you knew it actually has something to do with the film, even if it may not have been the final draft.
    So, can´t someone please ninja their way into Eon´s hq and get hold of any script draft or something else of substance :-)? Or else, be a Little more creative than conjecturing wild speculations based on the tiniest scraps like that totally nondescript shed in Norway? It´s also no shame to admit that there´s not much to gain from the info thus far released.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

+1
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    +2
    It’s senseless to use spoiler tags. I was berated a few pages back for discussing the Spectre scene on the train between Madeline and Bond. A mod complained, which is ridiculous since that film is nearly 4 years old!

I’m not using spoiler tags until we know something actually is likely to be a spoiler. Currently we are speculating with mere morsels of intel.

In terms of this young lady, Maya Khosrowshahi is seemingly a British native of Iranian heritage. Which is interesting as we know that Rami Malek is of Egyptian heritage. This could be a plot point?

Also, could she play a refugee? That seems a timely crisis that Fukunaga may want to make a film about.

Also, I find it hilarious that people think Boyle would have made a ‘political film’. Nothing in his filmography would suggest he is a political filmmaker. Aside from the opening ceremony in 2012 with a scene celebrating the NHS and the Windrush generation, he hasn’t done much in the way of ‘politics’. Plus, that ceremony was such cuddly, middle-brow, and inoffensive liberalism.

Meanwhile, our current director is a young American liberal who made his name making immigration dramas criticising American foreign policy, before directing a film about the plight of child soldiers in Africa. Fukunaga also has a bachelor’s degree in political science…..

If you have a spare 15 minutes, I recommend you watch Fukunaga’s short film about Mexican asylum seekers below. He won a Student Academy Award for it:

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    It’s senseless to use spoiler tags. I was berated a few pages back for discussing the Spectre scene on the train between Madeline and Bond. A mod complained, which is ridiculous since that film is nearly 4 years old!

It's ridiculous because this is a Bond forum and this thread revolves around Bond 25, why would someone even visit this thread if they haven't watched SPECTRE yet? :))
    Basically its 'speculation city' and really always has been for the last 2224 pages.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I’m not using spoiler tags until we know something actually is likely to be a spoiler. Currently we are speculating with mere morsels of intel.

In terms of this young lady, Maya Khosrowshahi is seemingly a British native of Iranian heritage. Which is interesting as we know that Rami Malek is of Egyptian heritage. This could be a plot point?

Also, could she play a refugee? That seems a timely crisis that Fukunaga may want to make a film about.

Also, I find it hilarious that people think Boyle would have made a ‘political film’. Nothing in his filmography would suggest he is a political filmmaker. Aside from the opening ceremony in 2012 with a scene celebrating the NHS and the Windrush generation, he hasn’t done much in the way of ‘politics’. Plus, that ceremony was such cuddly, middle-brow, and inoffensive liberalism.

Meanwhile, our current director is a young American liberal who made his name making immigration dramas criticising American foreign policy, before directing a film about the plight of child soldiers in Africa. Fukunaga also has a bachelor’s degree in political science…..

If you have a spare 15 minutes, I recommend you watch Fukunaga’s short film about Mexican asylum seekers below. He won a Student Academy Award for it:

You mean when @jake24 posted to you 'Please start using spoiler tags' ?

Very sorry if you felt berated by that comment.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    NicNac wrote: »

How insensitive of you, @jake24.

Please watch your language.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

28 Days Later is definitely a movie with strong political themes.

Plus, Boyle is known as an ardent remainer that has consistently spoke against and about Brexit. He even urged British filmmakers to build around Brexit. He was even attached to direct a Brexit drama film last year. He definitely cares a lot about this topic. He directed the opening Olympics ceremony, that represented a truly global Britain at the height of its powers, but since things changed after Brexit - which led to make the country look smaller and more out of place in the world, sorry - throughout his career Boyle has proven to understand what makes Britain great so it's fair to assume that Brexit could've been a topic in his vision for a James Bond movie.
    matt_u wrote: »

Plus, Boyle is known as an ardent remainer that has consistently spoke against and about Brexit. He even urged British filmmakers to build around Brexit. He was even attached to direct a Brexit drama film last year. He definitely cares a lot about this topic. He directed the opening Olympics ceremony, that represented a truly global Britain at the height of its powers, but since things changed after Brexit - which led to make the country look smaller and more out of place in the world, sorry - throughout his career Boyle has proven to understand what makes Britain great so it's fair to assume that Brexit could've been a topic in his vision for a James Bond movie.

Saying 28 Days Later has "strong political themes" is over-egging it slightly. That film is fundamentally a genre title. However, you are correct to an extent. I love that film because it is doing a lot seamlessly; not only thrilling but also dealing with a broader religious and political subtext.

Nonetheless, I think Cary Fukunaga's work is more overtly political than Boyle's output. I'm reading a lot of comments here from people insinuating that now Boyle is gone, Bond 25 will likely be less political. However, I think those individuals don't have much understanding of Fukunaga's previous work. That's my point.

I don't need an apology. Mods on these boards are far too trigger-happy without seemingly reading comments first. They need to facilitate the discussion and not constantly nitpick. It's getting boring.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited March 2019 Posts: 467
    The franchise has often made some indirect comments about the status of Britain as a power (lately for instance with the Tennyson quote from Skyfall), on how it could still hold its own ground after the loss of the Empire and the emergence of superpowers. There are some jabs at the US involvement in South American politics in QoS, the collapse of Soviet Union plays a part in Goldeneye, the handover of Hong Kong to China is featured in Tomorrow Never Dies, and personal data surveillance is the MacGuffin for Spectre.

But the franchise has never been overtly political, particularly about contemporary issues, and anybody who's put in charge of the script or the direction is perfectly aware of it. They're not supposed to deliver a R-rated film, they're not supposed to deliver a 3 hr cut, and they're not supposed to handle controversial political topics. Which would be more at home in a John Le Carré adaptation anyway. It's a given that Brexit will infuse Bond 25 or Bond 26, as it involves the relation of Britain with surrounding countries, but they would never make a Bond adventure "about" Brexit. And they won't comment directly on US domestic politics, as the last thing an American audience, regardless of their affiliation, wants is some Brits telling them what to do.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »

Saying 28 Days Later has "strong political themes" is over-egging it slightly. That film is fundamentally a genre title. However, you are correct to an extent. I love that film because it is doing a lot seamlessly; not only thrilling but also dealing with a broader religious and political subtext.

Nonetheless, I think Cary Fukunaga's work is more overtly political than Boyle's output. I'm reading a lot of comments here from people insinuating that now Boyle is gone, Bond 25 will likely be less political. However, I think those individuals don't have much understanding of Fukunaga's previous work. That's my point.

I don't need an apology. Mods on these boards are far too trigger-happy without seemingly reading comments first. They need to facilitate the discussion and not constantly nitpick. It's getting boring.
    I wasn't about to offer one.
    JamesStock wrote: »

Is it just me, or does the concept of spy film fanatics internet stalking a teenage girl come across as a bit...concerning?
    theory per se (not that I believe or believed it anyway). What if she wasn't biological?

I'm with you - it's a step too far in my opinion.
    octofinger wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »

theory per se (not that I believe or believed it anyway). What if she wasn't biological?

I'm with you - it's a step too far in my opinion.

It's something I think they should stay well clear of,yep.
    I don't think that's what's going on here, but that's an obvious thing to stay away from.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Sorry, I feel like I should clarify my sarcasm.

Don't be so bloody sensitive.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 4,400

I'm hardly being sensitive. If @jake24 is a mod, he should be a little more efficient and actually read posts. When someone is mentioning the plot of Bond 24 on a Bond 25 thread. Believe it or not, it's not a spoiler.

Mods here are too trigger-happy.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,343
    But the franchise has never been overtly political, particularly about contemporary issues, and anybody who's put in charge of the script or the direction is perfectly aware of it. They're not supposed to deliver a R-rated film, they're not supposed to deliver a 3 hr cut, and they're not supposed to handle controversial political topics. Which would be more at home in a John Le Carré adaptation anyway. It's a given that Brexit will infuse Bond 25 or Bond 26, as it involves the relation of Britain with surrounding countries, but they would never make a Bond adventure "about" Brexit.

Yep that's pretty certain.

BTW, wasn't Boyle completely aware that a Bond movie with a few action would never become a global hit (like EoN and Universal want)? Wasn't Boyle completely aware that you cannot make a Bond movie without compromises? Boyle explicitly said that he would have made the picture only with the permission to stay 100% true to his principles. Of course, didn't happen.

So since he was fired (or he just abandoned the ship) I wouldn't be so sure about what Boyle was aware of speaking about what you can do and what you cannot do with a nearly 60 years old family driven billion dollar franchise...

I'm hardly being sensitive. If @jake24 is a mod, he should be a little more efficient and actually read posts. When someone is mentioning the plot of Bond 24 on a Bond 25 thread. Believe it or not, it's not a spoiler.

What on earth are you talking about? If I asked you to use spoiler tags, it's because you talked about a leaked scene description for B25 which I'm sure many members would prefer to avoid reading.

I reckon you're still hurt by the fact that the website didn't credit you with that scoop you had, doesn't mean you have the right to be disrespectful and passive aggressive to the moderators and members alike. By all means, you're more than welcome to take a break from the forum if you're unhappy here.

What on earth are you talking about? If I asked you to use spoiler tags, it's because you talked about a leaked scene description for B25 which I'm sure many members would prefer to avoid reading.

I reckon you're still hurt by the fact that the website didn't credit you with that scoop you had, doesn't mean you have the right to be disrespectful and passive aggressive to the moderators and members alike. By all means, you're more than welcome to take a break from the forum if you're unhappy here.

If you read my above comment very carefully, you’ll see I mention no gripe with MI6 not crediting me and nor am I suggesting “taking a break”.

Your outwardly aggressive behaviour to me falls significantly below what one would expect from a moderator. Perhaps, it’s you that should consider the break.
    Back on topic, can anyone tell me if the actor José Fernandez was actually confirmed to play a henchman? I remember reading that somewhere prior to it appearing on IMDB.
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    To me the big question still is whether Purvis and Wade picked up with their old (abandoned) draft, or if they picked up the Hodge draft and reworked it.
    I think it's the abandoned draft or they started from scratch of a rough outline

But we don’t know for sure?

Bamigboye said in September 2018 that Purvis & Wade would turn their treatment, which had studio approval before Boyle and Hodge came along, into a script.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6166379/Spymaster-writing-duo-rescue-new-Bond-film-director-Danny-Boyle-walked-out.html

If you read my above comment very carefully, you’ll see I mention no gripe with MI6 not crediting me and nor am I suggesting “taking a break”.

Your outwardly aggressive behaviour to me falls significantly below what one would expect from a moderator. Perhaps, it’s you that should consider the break.
    Nobody is being "outwardly aggressive". I genuinely suggest taking a break from the forums if you're unhappy with the general energy here. But it's good to know you no longer have a gripe with MI6.

Anyways, when discussing the leaked scene description, please use spoiler tags out of respect to those who want to read the thread for news. Otherwise, the speculation is fair game.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Back on topic, can anyone tell me if the actor José Fernandez was actually confirmed to play a henchman? I remember reading that somewhere prior to it appearing on IMDB.

As far as I know it didn't go beyond the IMDB appearance,Q.
    Thanks Baz.