No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    peter wrote: »
    The IMDbPro Bond 25 production page (once again, this has nothing to do with the free site), changed the dates of release for the film, BUT, the shooting month remains unchanged at March 2019. This is still the official month of shooting.

If the report from Deadline was read accurately, it's clear why Universal shifted dates; their FF films do historically well in China (as the article said, this market is their bread and butter). This April 8 date is crowded in the Chinese market, so they moved their tentpole franchise to a better date.

Now Universal needs one of their films to fill this gap. Bond 25 gets plopped into a five day weekend. That's good for the FF franchise, and good for James Bond (think about February in some parts of the US and Canada (this Valentine's Day most of us suffered through snowstorms and ice rain leading into this weekend).

(BTW, why aren't the FF fans complaining that their film has been pushed to a later date?? That there hasta be something wrong with their production, lol!)

This is a solid assessment, Peter.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Bond 25 is similar to Alita: Battle Angel - which opens this week in the US. Alita was pushed back three times.
    Originally set to be released on July 20, 2018 but in February 2018 the film was delayed to December 21 before later being pushed back again in late September to its final US release date 14th February 2019.

The first Alita trailer ends with the the text: July. It's had a seven months delay!

Delays happen from time to time so not a reason to get ultra-concerned. Another way to look at it... April is nearer to summer than February is to summer - so April feels a bit more like the old days in the Cubby Moore/Dalton era. Kinda.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,400
    People are blowing this out of proportion.

It's not really a 'delay' - it's the studio reshuffling their release deck. It's disappointing for sure, but Universal are a commercial entity making commercial decisions. The release shuffle is representative of that.

Eon were supportive as the following films have released in that exact frame and posted large numbers:

Furious 7*
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    The Jungle Book
    Captain America: Civil War
    The Fate of the Furious*
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    A Quiet Place

The starred (*) films are Universal movies. This is their Fast release window. They have moved that film deeper into summer to better accommodate China. They are filling the gap with another big property so not to loose a release date.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/fast-furious-9-memorial-day-weekend-opening-date-2020-1202558691/

Basically, Universal don't want Fast to go up against Mulan in China. That's the story - not chaos at Eon.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    vzok wrote: »
    I was going to type something earlier but I had to push this back due to issues.

I am thrilled to announce that this news is disappointing. There’s all sorts of good reasons for this to happen, but the one thing EON aren’t considering is just how old I am. I’m not sure I’m going to make it at this rate.
    I laughed out loud at your comment, @vzok. Admittedly, I will be more cautious driving to and from work up to the release date. Stay safe.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Does anyone feel that this is becoming a good time to change Bond actor ?
    Just curious .
    Not at all. With the crunch to release BOND 26 in 2022, even that lends itself to Craig returning.
    Univex wrote: »
    People are getting manhandled and manipulated by the usual pot-stirrers here.

Not that you need to, these forums are fantastic, but just for the sake of comparison, do take a look at the reactions at ajb007 and Cbn. The difference is they don't have these war mongers we have here, and they're living it calmly and reasonably. It's not the forums fault, it's said members fault, who create the foulest ambience here over and over again.

I've said it time and time again, for the sake of these boards, do something besides friendly official warnings by PM, please.

Being him the Earl of Kent or Caius, someone rotten stirs frequently the waters of this fine kingdom. Now, don't be afraid to bring out the Lear in you, dear mods. For all our sakes.
    Interesting perspective, @barryt007.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,630
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Benny What the great Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman did ( establishing Bond as a successful movie franchise) was an incredibly difficult thing to do. What Barbara and Michael are doing is the easiest thing in the word.

You are talking about the same Harry Saltzman whose unwillingness to sell his shares to Broccoli explains half if not more of the delays you're railing against, right?

This is where the biggest issues ultimately lie down to. MGM’s issues have ended up derailing development of several Bond films. If Saltzman had sold his share to Broccoli, we would’ve likely had a Dalton Bond 17 and a Craig Bond 2010 film.
    I don't know why everyone is getting so wound up. We've got this to look forward soon, and then Bond 26 in 2079.

No, after this Disney will take over. Then we'll get 3 Bond films every year plus televised spin-offs of Moneypenny's lover and Blofeld's cat.
    I would have no problem with getting one Bond film every 4 years IF every Bond film were as good as the average Christopher Nolan or Danny Boyle film. The issue isn’t mainly the infrequent release.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    The IMDbPro Bond 25 production page (once again, this has nothing to do with the free site), changed the dates of release for the film, BUT, the shooting month remains unchanged at March 2019. This is still the official month of shooting.

If the report from Deadline was read accurately, it's clear why Universal shifted dates; their FF films do historically well in China (as the article said, this market is their bread and butter). This April 8 date is crowded in the Chinese market, so they moved their tentpole franchise to a better date.

Now Universal needs one of their films to fill this gap. Bond 25 gets plopped into a five day weekend. That's good for the FF franchise, and good for James Bond (think about February in some parts of the US and Canada (this Valentine's Day most of us suffered through snowstorms and ice rain leading into this weekend).

(BTW, why aren't the FF fans complaining that their film has been pushed to a later date?? That there hasta be something wrong with their production, lol!)

Agreed .

Once again it takes @peter and DD @DarthDimi to bring back a sense of perspective and,although I am VERY disappointed, I am so glad we have the power and knowledge of Universal in our corner,I trust them and EON,Babs,MGW,Dan.

They have their reasons, let’s be grateful 007 is still in safe hands.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Pinewood Studios... :)

People seem to be missing the point of this post, @ggl007 . Rehearsals are ongoing. Production is moving forward. Locations are being locked...

As someone else said about ALITA-- which was moved three times-- this is mainly the distributors call to exploit a better date for their film. That's what these guys do: find the best date(s), market the hell out of it, then pray to the cinema gods they made all the right decisions and the film makes buckets.

And it sounds like Universal's FF move created a domino effect, and, as is their right, shifted Bond into a vacated slot. That's all that happened here, folks. Moving on...

Honestly, there will be more positive news in the coming weeks. We will soon have production stills (like I said, the production page on Bond 25 changed release dates immediately, the shooting date, as of this writing, remains March 2019 (I think someone had mentioned Variety is also reporting the same as the "official" shooting month).

Nothing has changed at EoN HQs from one week ago, or twenty four hours ago. Except for a release date designed by the distributors to exploit a better date.

Once again, why arent the FF fans up in arms that their film was pushed? Why aren't they going nuts, thinking their film must also be off the rails, lol?
    I don't know why everyone is getting so wound up. We've got this to look forward soon, and then Bond 26 in 2079.

No, after this Disney will take over. Then we'll get 3 Bond films every year plus televised spin-offs of Moneypenny's lover and Blofeld's cat.
    I would have no problem with getting one Bond film every 4 years IF every Bond film were as good as the average Christopher Nolan or Danny Boyle film. The issue isn’t mainly the infrequent release.

I never saw a Danny Boyle film an ascot Nolan I stopped paying attention to him after the dark knight rises was utterly disappointing
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Pinewood Studios... :)

Oooh I wonder what this is going to be. I'm so excited :D
    @peter Let’s wait 16 days. In 16 days we will all know whether the start of filming has been delayed or not.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Agreed .

Once again it takes @peter and DD @DarthDimi to bring back a sense of perspective and,although I am VERY disappointed, I am so glad we have the power and knowledge of Universal in our corner,I trust them and EON,Babs,MGW,Dan.

@barryt007 -- I've just printed what you wrote and stuck it to my forehead so my wife sees your words every time she looks at me (who's the drama queen now, wifey??)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

They're not concerned because they know it's going to happen, 2 because other than PW's death (RIP) they haven't been plagued with production issues like every Bond film has since QoS and lastly, the fans are getting Hobbs and Shaw which looks entertaining AF in just a few months. The situation with FF couldn't be anymore different than what s been going on with the Bond films tgese past 11 years.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    doubleoego wrote: »

They're not concerned because they know it's going to happen, 2 because other than PW's death (RIP) they haven't been plagued with production issues like every Bond film has since QoS and lastly, the fans are getting Hobbs and Shaw which looks entertaining AF in just a few months. The situation with FF couldn't be anymore different than what s been going on with the Bond films tgese past 11 years.

Easy not to be plagued by production issues when you barely have a story to begin with besides “fast cars” and “we’re a family”
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

Easy not to be plagued by production issues when you barely have a story to begin with besides “fast cars” and “we’re a family”

Precisely
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 5,767
    @DarthDimi how many more delays would it take for you to say “alright, this is too much, I have had enough”?
    What the mod edit are you talking about, @PanchitoPistoles? Films take short or long to be made. That is none of the audience's business, unless it's narrated in a thrilling making-of documentary. What is our business is wether or not we are happy with the film. If the film is good we should enjoy it. If it isn't we can be annoyed or be p### that we spent money on the ticket. But to get so serious over the production process, or even just assumptions concerning it, is beyond ridiculous.

quote="PanchitoPistoles;960513"]@Benny What the great Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman did ( establishing Bond as a successful movie franchise) was an incredibly difficult thing to do. What Barbara and Michael are doing is the easiest thing in the word.[/quote]I think you should take a break, before you get a cranial aneurhysm.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Are you talking about Fast & Furious, or SP? ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Precisely. :))
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

We were all wondering how Universal, home of the franchise, would impact Bond 25. And now we know - by scheduling the film in a release date that gives it the best possible chance to perform globally.

Yes, the move is a little disappointing, but there's no reason to be angered by a solid business decision. Universal would not be doing this unless they thought it best for the film. After all, they have a one picture deal, a trial if you will, and they sure as hell want to re-up that deal. They will pull out all the stops to make this big!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

One bad film against an whole franchise?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter Let’s wait 16 days. In 16 days we will all know whether the start of filming has been delayed or not.

You're correct in a sense, @PanchitoPistoles ... but, as I told you last night, I only know what I have reported to this thread about the shooting date: the official word, still, is March 2019.

The production page for Bond 25 has been UPDATED to include the new release date.

The production page, interestingly enough, HAS NOT changed the filming date of March 2019.

Is that clear? I will keep an eye on this page (that changes according to official word, as they did immediately upon the release date), until filming begins. if you'd like, send me your email and i will send you a screen-shot of this page. It is an official production page.

• edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339

Agreed .

@barryt007 -- I've just printed what you wrote and stuck it to my forehead so my wife sees your words every time she looks at me (who's the drama queen now, wifey??)

Haha my pleasure old pal !
    Red_Snow wrote: »

We were all wondering how Universal, home of the franchise, would impact Bond 25. And now we know - by scheduling the film in a release date that gives it the best possible chance to perform globally.

Yes, the move is a little disappointing, but there's no reason to be angered by a solid business decision. Universal would not be doing this unless they thought it best for the film. After all, they have a one picture deal, a trial if you will, and they sure as hell want to re-up that deal. They will pull out all the stops to make this big!

My thoughts entirely as you can see above , well said.

By your logic production issues shouldn't be an issue when EoN have plenty of source material to draw from and yet after years of drafts and rewrites the best we can get is miles in mi6, brofeld and the most criminally expensice and pedestrian so called car chase in the series best 60 year history.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think you should take a break, before you get a cranial aneurhysm.
    How much more abuse do I have to take before certain forum members are warned? I would never tell anyone here to take a break.

Hahaha well played.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    This reminds me so much of being in high school, people who think they know anything and everything. People who think they suddenly deserve whatever they want.

None of you know what’s going on behind the scenes, so while I understand people are going to vent which is fine, some of you need to stop acting like spoilt little children. If you really don’t like it that much, go take a break. I didn’t join this site to listen to people whinge and moan, I wanted to be a part of a community that loves this franchise as much as I do.

I understand you have an opinion, but to act like you are owed something by EoN is ridicilulous. So stop throwing your toys out of the pram, know that whether they film in March, April or bloody whenever, they’re working on it. There’s not gonna be a new Bond, they’re not gonna wait till the 60th anniversary. They don’t have to have a film out then, they can do anything else to celebrate.

And personally to @PanchitoPistoles and @Mendes4Lyfe, if you really feel that hard done by, seriously just leave for a bit because to be honest you’re both acting like spoilt children. They owe us nothing, it’s a business and they’re doing their best. So if you don’t like that...

tenor.gif?itemid=4808431

Also, I’m about to watch FRWL so if anyone needs me I’ll be enjoying my favourite franchise in the world. Big love to Barbara and Michael.

“They owe us nothing” is a fine attitude for a business to have. Likewise, I don’t owe them anything, including buying a ticket or one of the never-ending re-releases of the films.

And yet that last part seems to be a sticking point for modern media companies. There is a prevailing attitude of “these idiots will buy whatever we throw out there, so if the quality slips, eh, they’ll still lap it up.”

That’s an attitude businesses tend to have shortly before going out of business.

Times have changed, and this siloed “piss off until we’ve got something good and ready for you” attitude no longer works. Eon’s idea of fan appreciation is a remote museum in Europe and the occasional bit in London. Compare that to other large franchises these days.

If they feel that a couple of people who spend more time getting offended that they aren’t deified than actually sharing news or participating are sufficient, they’re in for a rude awakening. These constant delays and lack of communication (on top of myriad other issues) are only ensuring the fanbase is getting smaller and older. Many of the fans here became Bond fans as kids. That isn’t happening today, which should be cause for concern at any decent operation.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    "With a worldwide release date of 14 February 2020.

“We are absolutely thrilled to be releasing Bond 25 on 8 April 2020.”

Is April also a worldwide release date or just the UK release date?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,449
    I'm glad to see some sanity return to this thread.

In 1985, RM had squeezed out 7 Bond films in 12 years.
    In 2020, DC will have done 5 Bond films in 14 years.

The difference is considerable, and I'm not even comparing the DC years to the early SC years or the fast, energetic PB years.

But, and this is just a personal comment, I'm also seeing a consistently high level of quality in the DC Bonds amidst tough commercial competition that the early Connery Bonds, for example, were much less plagued with. They generate clout, good or even great reviews and a lot of money despite the likes of Marvel, Star Wars, FF, M:I, ... biting huge chunks out of film audiences' limited attention span. Furthermore, it has been pointed out to me by knowing members of this forum that we cannot just return to those golden days of one happy Bond family serializing its output at a constant rate. The movie business has grown far more complicated than that; there's simply too much at stake to just keep feeding us material at popular demand. EON isn't capable of doing what Marvel is doing. Even Star Wars, DC and others appear to be struggling to keep up.

I have no doubt that Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson would want nothing more than to produce one Bond film every two years. The fact that they aren't doing exactly that must mean that things have become far more complicated than that. People are screaming bloody murder but these two got 4 Brosnan films made in 7 years time. They rushed QOS into production immediately after CR. These last couple of Bonds seem cursed with setbacks of all sorts, but why would EON be the cause of that?

In any case, I prefer one quality Bond film over two or three weak films spat out in under 5 years. And if that means suffering through delays, reset expectations, meticulous planning and long periods of Internet silence, then that's all just fine by me.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @Red_Snow (a calm voice amongst the rough waters).

And props to @Pierce2Daniel as well who rightly pointed out this business decision (which is the distributors job-- to exploit the best date(s) possible; this all started because Universal's tentpole film FF was moved to another date (so it wouldn't have to face-off against Mulan; they now had a 5 day weekend slot that was open. They plopped James Bond into that slot (which, personal opinion now, will work better for 007).

Have a great weekend everybody. I thank all the calm heads that prevailed and who saw the machinations of the film business at work (the chess-game of release dates); to the more dramatic of our friends, look around you. There's more to life than B25. Be with a loved one. Go for a walk with the family dog. Lunch with some friends. Have a stiff drink, or smoke a joint. Everything, with Bond, and life, is a-ok...

The sun will rise tomorrow...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,343

Precisely. Plus, in their yesterday report Variey stated that filming will start March 4. So as far as we know the shooting date remains unchanged.