No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    This guy heard a rumour?... Nothing about what sparked it, not even an attempt to explain why CF was going to drop out??

(that's coz it never happened)...

In the immortal words of Roger Moore "... sounds like a load of bull"...

And this idea that EoN fell in love with Cavill and he'd have a role in B25?... that would lead to him being the.... uh... lost me... No, no, no, no, no...

@peter I don't see eon doing that pulling a Charles gray role reversal on James bond be messed up

That entire one minute of stupidity is just that: stupid. These were both idiotic rumours as, his partner/co-host said, that we haven't even READ IN COLLIDER BECAUSE OF HOW STUPID IT IS, lol!

@donny-- don't you get it? It's not a rumour. It's something this idiot heard and repeated. For all you and I know, he heard it from his bartender. But they're not going to even print it. Why? Because there's nothing to this story. It's a dead-end. There's nothing "publishable" to this non-rumour!

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Possible News Update: Cary Fukunaga almost dropped out of Bond 25 / Henry Cavill eyed for a role in Bond 25 as a 00-agent? Possibly, Bond in Bond 26

Stay tuned till the 40th minute of the video.

The scoop comes from Jeff Sneider - who has bonafides in the industry for industry news. For example, he broke the news today that Zendaya was to join the join the Dune film, amongst a host of other scoops.

I recommend we spam his Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheInSneider

I had a really bad dream that Fukunaga dropped out last night. I'd truly hate to see that happen. But are people's Henry Cavill dreams about to come true?

source.gif

Personally, I'm growing exhausted of Bond 25 already, can't we get the reboot now?

Uh...

He almost dropped out? Ok, so what prompted him to stay on? Not good.

CF didnt almost leave B25, and Cavill wasn't offered a role in it, either.

Jeez...

As far as breaking casting news, DL's been doing it on Dune and other films for the last few days.

This guy is a nobody working at a nerd site (which I like and read, btw), but is not recommended reading for film-facts, lol!
    with how much has gone wrong up to this point.
    This is nothing... please go on any film set on any given day: there is always a fire, or fires to put out...

Over n Out...

Regardless, I simply cannot deal with these rumors anymore. I’m still traumatized over Boyle leaving & I feel like history is going to repeat itself. This movie needs to hurry up & start filming ASAP.

With or without Henry Cavill in a supporting role?

@peter you well know that “James Bond” is a code name ; after decades of not seeing the torched passed, will finally see the current Bond hand off to the future Bond. Following the ceremony, Agent Rodney Lipshitz, portrayed by Henry Cavill, will exit M’s office, with a twinkle in his eye he says to Miss Moneypenny, “ Hello, my name is Bond, James Bond” to which she, knowingly, seductively, replies, “ but of course you are... James.
    Cue gun barrel
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,500
    The film's director left three months before principle photography began,
    True, but what most people don't realize, and soon will, Boyle was barely on B25 before being shit-canned. He was finishing his Beatles film. I think he spent about a month of real work before his "departure".
    the script then had to be completely rehauled and production was delayed
    It wasn't a page one re-write. Certainly a polish with CF's vision (but they didn't re-hire P&W to do a page one; the writing can be considered a draft and polish, and this script, like most big budget scripts, will be tinkered with right into the editing suite eight months down the road).
    there has most definitely been a certain level of turmoil in the writer's room
    I never heard about this @jake24 . You could be right about something going on in the writers room-- I didn't hear anything of that nature (other than Boyle not wanting polishers to touch the script he delivered).

In the end, shit happens every day on a film set.

There's a film in town called SPINNING OUT. Emma Roberts was cast as the lead. Everything set and ready to go. A few days before principal, Roberts drops out. Things got chaotic, very chaotic. Everything was locked for Roberts...

Now to get a new lead in fast, or the entire production goes down the toilet... A new lead means things will have to be changed from the script-- different dynamic with a new actor, different interpretation...

When this film comes out on Netflix later this year, no one will be any the wiser. Why? Coz shit happens on a film set every day, and these people, from the actors, to producers, writers, set designers, lighting designers, director, DoP... they're professionals.

(Edit: I should not have said film, this is a series (making the stakes of the lead actor dropping out that much higher)

Danny Boyle leaving Bond was a blessing.

As far as anyone knows, there's been no strife since. Locations are being locked and/or explored, Craig is looking his usual trim and kick-ass self, casting decisions have been made (that don't include Cavill, lol), and in a month the first unit will roll cameras.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Possible News Update: Cary Fukunaga almost dropped out of Bond 25 / Henry Cavill eyed for a role in Bond 25 as a 00-agent? Possibly, Bond in Bond 26

The scoop comes from Jeff Sneider - who has bonafides in the industry for industry news. For example, he broke the news today that Zendaya was to join the join the Dune film, amongst a host of other scoops.

I had a really bad dream that Fukunaga dropped out last night. I'd truly hate to see that happen. But are people's Henry Cavill dreams about to come true?

source.gif

Personally, I'm growing exhausted of Bond 25 already, can't we get the reboot now?

Uh...

Jeez...

As far as breaking casting news, DL's been doing it on Dune and other films for the last few days.

This guy is a nobody working at a nerd site (which I like and read, btw), but is not recommended reading for film-facts, lol!
    This is nothing... please go on any film set on any given day: there is always a fire, or fires to put out...

Over n Out...

Regardless, I simply cannot deal with these rumors anymore. I’m still traumatized over Boyle leaving & I feel like history is going to repeat itself. This movie needs to hurry up & start filming ASAP.

@peter you well know that “James Bond” is a code name ; after decades of not seeing the torched passed, will finally see the current Bond hand off to the future Bond. Following the ceremony, Agent Rodney Lipshitz, portrayed by Henry Cavill, will exit M’s office, with a twinkle in his eye he says to Miss Moneypenny, “ Hello, my name is Bond, James Bond” to which she, knowingly, seductively, replies, “ but of course you are... James.
    Cue gun barrel

@talos7 ... You just s***-out a golden nugget. That's pure genius....
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,400
    @peter casting decisions have been made? Care to elaborate

I’ve tweeted Baz to help assuage my anxiety. I’ll report back if I hear anything...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmanPuni/status/1090781692007190528
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's quite silly to assume there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary with this production. The film's director left three months before principle photography began, the script then had to be completely rehauled and production was delayed. Over the last few months up to now, there has most definitely been a certain level of turmoil in the writer's room and you can bet that we'll be reading about it in the next edition of Some Kind of Hero.

However, stop panicking based on speculation that has absolutely no merit. Just because we're not learning about every production decision as they happen does not mean they are struggling or leaving everything down to the last minute. Just wait four weeks and many concerns will likely be put to rest.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.
    I see no point in getting worked up or worrying about a rumour that should be taken with a massive grain of salt.
    It’s speculation and more than likely click bait journalism. That’s how many news sites work today sadly.
    Start to worry, when you need to worry.
    When EON or the studio make an announcement about Bond then take it as the truth.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I’ve tweeted Baz to help assuage my anxiety. I’ll report back if I hear anything...

Only what we know: the Mi6 crew and Maddy-- pretty decisive decision and one spoken about just recently by the director who was "about to drop out" (God, makes me wanna punch that little git square in the face-- you could tell from the daft grin on his face, he was barely containing his own B.S.)

... more casting will be revealed in the days to come.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    We could keep saying the lack of news is because they’re playing things close to the chest. Then again, we could also speculate the lack of news is because there is indeed more turmoil behind the scenes and there is frankly NOTHING to report. God knows.
    Barbara must be controlling this film big time and dropping anyone at the first sign of trouble

I’ll applaud you if Baz gets back to you. I’ve probably tweeted him 5 times within the past few months & have never received a response.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Barbara must be controlling this film big time and dropping anyone at the first sign of trouble

Well, @Tuck91 , that's the producers job: to control things.

But, who did she drop? She dropped Boyle because he wasn't making a James Bond film. Whom else did she drop?

Do you guys all lay in wait, anticipating the first rumour that will fit into the negative landscape you've created? Even though these rumours-- and this wasn't even classified as such since it's "unpublishable"-- bear no facts? None whatsoever.

Think about it: 4 weeks out. We've heard some interesting tidbits about locations, incentives to shoot in Norway, Maddy's back, Mi6 crew are back and confirmed (all except for Whishaw-- at least public confirmation hasn't taken place); DC is dieting and chomping on protein bars at the Golden Globes to resume playing the role he's most famous for... But we're to believe, some time in between CF's very interesting interviews, and his announcement about cast, that he was also ready to drop out??? And no one in the entire industry heard about this close-call break-up??? NO ONE???

No one, except for one guy on a Collider web-show?

Uh... ok...

Jeezus-- wait til Panchito wakes up. That's when the feast can really begin.

Good Luck with it all!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think people are getting nervous and anxious without any news. Don't worry guys I'm sure everything's cool.

Just try and go back to the days where we didn't have the internet and couldn't keep up with news and overanalyse everything about it. We're getting a James Bond film and it starts filming in March. If we don't get anything before that it doesn't mean anything.

Like I said after the leaks, they've probably buckled down on news and leaks.

It'll all be okay.
    We need a tiny bit of official news. Just a wee bit to ease the paranoia. Maybe in some weeks time.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

source.gif

Uh...

Jeez...

Over n Out...

Cue gun barrel

Don’t forget Pierce Brosnan showing up with a few Heinekens to whisk them off to a night of celebrating.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 385

source.gif

Uh...

Jeez...

Over n Out...

Cue gun barrel

Call an ambulance, I think I just had a stroke.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    We really do need some news. This page is taking a weird turn.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Well, @Tuck91 , that's the producers job: to control things.

But, who did she drop? She dropped Boyle because he wasn't making a James Bond film. Whom else did she drop?

Do you guys all lay in wait, anticipating the first rumour that will fit into the negative landscape you've created? Even though these rumours-- and this wasn't even classified as such since it's "unpublishable"-- bear no facts? None whatsoever.

Think about it: 4 weeks out. We've heard some interesting tidbits about locations, incentives to shoot in Norway, Maddy's back, Mi6 crew are back and confirmed (all except for Whishaw-- at least public confirmation hasn't taken place); DC is dieting and chomping on protein bars at the Golden Globes to resume playing the role he's most famous for... But we're to believe, some time in between CF's very interesting interviews, and his announcement about cast, that he was also ready to drop out??? And no one in the entire industry heard about this close-call break-up??? NO ONE???

No one, except for one guy on a Collider web-show?

Uh... ok...

Jeezus-- wait til Panchito wakes up. That's when the feast can really begin.

Good Luck with it all!

That's what I fear when he wakes up this thread will be on hell loose and he will be throwing tantrums as usual nothing new.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087
    This is not clickbait journalism. If it were, they would make a separate video with the title "Bond 25 in trouble?". We have no reason to believe this, anymore than we have to believe any of the "trusted" members of the site with their inside scoops. It's all speculation at the end of the day.

What we do know is that Fukunaga has always been a flight risk. He's walked off multiple projects in the past, and perhaps he thinks this one is too damaging for his career. Just because he goes through with production does not necessarily mean he wasn't put under any kind of duress. There are several troubled productions which make great movies, but there are also several troubled productions which become compromised at an early stage of development and only make it to the finish line due to investors demands.

I originally had modest expectations for Bond 25, but now they have plummeted. It's hard to see how we can a film on par with Casino Royale in just over a years time, with everything that has already gone pear-shaped.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Cheer up guys :D
    I know people are sick of hearing the negativity, but I think it’s justified at this point in the game. Look at how long it’s taken for this film to get made. On top of that, the whole Boyle leaving production situation made me (and I’m sure others) reasonably nervous regarding the film’s future.

So the lack of news at this stage just has me concerned that things may possibly be going south again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087

So the lack of news at this stage just has me concerned that things may possibly be going south again.

Yes, and if that happens again it won't just be the director that leaves...

But I don't think it will. I think Bond 25 should get made with Craig and Fukunaga, but I just can't see how it will live up to expectations some Bond fans have for it. We haven't had a film in going on four years, the last one was a dud, so this one is supposed to turn the tides. There's already been so many complications, that it seems compromised on some level before they even begin production.
    TripAces wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Well, the return of Seydoux is locked since her presence was confirmed by the director himself.

I just pray she's not going to be revealed as a secret double agent. It would be something truly annoying since :

1. Bond already experienced betrayal from Vesper;
    2. A turnaround like this would make SP pointless;
    3. Bond cannot be cheated this way anymore.

What if Bond found out she was a double agent in the PTS, and had to kill her? Then he loses his mind, Garden of Death, etc. At least that would be a different take than Tracy redux.

All of this just redoubles my frustration with SP: it was a good enough film, but

a) given the money and talent, it could have been far better, and
    b) it has painted EON into a hell of a corner.

If Seydoux is indeed to return (and to have some role in the story, or to mean something to Bond and us when she's killed off) they needed to have spent far more time in SP convincing us that she matters and that her relationship with Bond is meaningful. Re-watch OHMSS or CR if you need to see it done right. Instead we lavished time on the 9-eyes subplot or the Rome car chase or any number of other things, and none will mean much in B25.

There is a way out of it. I have spoken of this for a few years, now. A pattern has emerged across all four of DC's films: his being an orphan and his training for MI6 seem inextricably linked. This is important, because the fact that Blofeld and Bond were once foster brothers may not be a coincidence at all.

Tell us more. . .

Remember this exchange in SF:

M (talking about Bond's parents): "How old were you when they died?"
    Bond: "You know the answer to that. You know the whole story."
    M: "Orphans always make the best recruits."

Then, in SP:

Madeleine: "Is this really what you want? Living in the shadows? Hunting, being hunted? Always looking behind you. Always alone."
    Bond: "I'm not alone."
    Madeleine: "Answer the question."
    Bond: "I'm not sure I ever really had a choice."

There is much to unpack, here. But if we take these exchanges (especially "You know the whole story") and match them to the plot we uncover with Blofeld, it's possible that MI6 knew Bond had been in custody of the Oberhausers and recruited him early on, specifically to use as a double agent--Spectre, or something like it, went back decades. Over time, that need lost its necessity--or so MI6 thought. Later, sometime around the events of SF, M realized Blofeld was still alive. Hence, why she sent him the tape. And it's possible that the adoption papers and photograph were not actually retrieved from the Skyfall estate, but rather M's office at MI6, during the explosion. That suddenly spins things in a whole new direction. That Blofeld was once Bond's foster brother was no coincidence at all.

Is this ideal? No. A bit of "fan theory"? Yes, a bit. But if EON wants to extract itself from the messiness of SP, and continue this arc in some sort of satisfactory manner, this is one way to do it.
    How can multiplying the messy retconning extract from the messiness?

• echoecho 007 in New York

Yes, and if that happens again it won't just be the director that leaves...

But I don't think it will. I think Bond 25 should get made with Craig and Fukunaga, but I just can't see how it will live up to expectations some Bond fans have for it. We haven't had a film in going on four years, the last one was a dud, so this one is supposed to turn the tides. There's already been so many complications, that it seems compromised on some level before they even begin production.

Again, I must point out that at least every other Bond film is good. We're due for a good one in the cycle.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Is the film going to be called "The Domino Effect?" ;)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Something that’s been missing in recent films that I hope will return is Bond being a bit of a smart arse with M. Not to say that he’s being a dick but Bond should carry a near encyclopedic knowledge of topics relevant to his assignments to the point where M is rather annoyed. Think of Bond talking about brandy in Goldfinger or Scaramanga’s life in TMWTGG.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Observation: the Norway locations could easily double for
    Canada.

Why use a country to double for another when you can just go to that country?
    If it’s a logistical or safety reason then it makes sense.
    But neither Norway or Canada are hotspots to avoid. Both would prove logistics problems in their own way.

Bond has always used other locations to double for different places. SF used the Med around Turkey as a (unconvincing) double for the South China Sea. SF also used the generally quite flat Salisbury Plain as a double for the generally quite craggy Scottish Highlands.

You're telling me you could tell the difference between the Mediterranean Sea in Turkey and the South China Sea?
    Observation: the Norway locations could easily double for
    Canada.

Why use a country to double for another when you can just go to that country?
    If it’s a logistical or safety reason then it makes sense.
    But neither Norway or Canada are hotspots to avoid. Both would prove logistics problems in their own way.

Bond has always used other locations to double for different places. SF used the Med around Turkey as a (unconvincing) double for the South China Sea. SF also used the generally quite flat Salisbury Plain as a double for the generally quite craggy Scottish Highlands.

Are you sure it wasn't Hankley Common in Surrey. I can see no reference that Skyfall was filmed at Salisbury Plain.
    But I know what you mean. I'm well aware that locations are substituted for others all the time. I don't know why EON would use Norway, a rather expensive place to shoot, to substitute for Canada, when Canada has a well established and booming tv and film industry.
    That is if Canada is even going to be one of the locations.

I agree it doesn't seem to make any sense. I expect Norway to feature as Norway, or perhaps some otherwise inaccessible location like Kashmir or Tibet.

Having said this, if there's one thing EON demonstrated in SP, it's that they know how to waste money.

Also, I don't think Fukunaga would miss the opportunity to film where his girlfriend's family are from. (She was born in the US) Imagine that conversation...

"Ah Kristine, I think we're gonna film part of Bond 25 in Norway."

"Oh my god, how exciting!"

"But in the film, people will think it's Canada."

"Oh..."

Having been to the Med and the South China Sea they look and feel quite different.

The point really is that Bond should be summoning up a much stronger sense of specific place as the old films used to much more.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Something that’s been missing in recent films that I hope will return is Bond being a bit of a smart arse with M. Not to say that he’s being a dick but Bond should carry a near encyclopedic knowledge of topics relevant to his assignments to the point where M is rather annoyed. Think of Bond talking about brandy in Goldfinger or Scaramanga’s life in TMWTGG.

This please. I missed smart and well informed Bond.
    Possible News Update: Cary Fukunaga almost dropped out of Bond 25
    Hahahaha! I, @Mendes4Lyfe and a few others who have expressed our concerns on several occasions were constantly berated, were called trolls, hysterical and fearmongers. I’m hoping the Barbara Broccoli apologists are going to be a bit more open to other perspectives from now on.

As for Barbara, I can imagine her begging on her knees, crying: “Cary, please stay! We will give you everything!” Seriously, the best thing that can come out of this is that suddenly it seems likely that Bond 25 will be “a Cary Fukunaga picture” rather than “a Barbara Broccoli movie”.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Watch the wooden spoon brigade pounce on this, oh they have @Mendes4Lyfe is already testing out the new one he got for Christmas.