No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

But Madeleine is returning so is there a danger that the melodrama from SP is inherited within the new film?
    Like a contagion?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Was Bergenhus Fortress ever suggested?

bergenhus-festning-bergenhus.jpg

I just remembered the Norwegian-based level from the spy video game Alekhine's Gun where it was set, and I think it'd make a terrific location for the main villain's base of operations.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Was Bergenhus Fortress ever suggested?

bergenhus-festning-bergenhus.jpg

I just remembered the Norwegian-based level from the spy video game Alekhine's Gun where it was set, and I think it'd make a terrific location for the main villain's base of operations.

@ClarkDevlin
    That looks like bond material
    A plot around the Nazis ww2 nuclear programme would be cool. With a baddy trying to salvage the heavy water from the telemark raid
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,730
    Getafix wrote: »
    A plot around the Nazis ww2 nuclear programme would be cool. With a baddy trying to salvage the heavy water from the telemark raid

Didn’t they try to put something like that into AVTAK
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Getafix wrote: »

Ooh I like.
    "Nazis, I hate these guys"

Can actually hear that in my head in Craig's voice.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Remington wrote: »
    How about The Death Collector as the title?

Bond could face his greatest threat yet! The evil Inland Revenue is after James Bond. The title:

The Tax Collector

:P

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    patb wrote: »
    But Madeleine is returning so is there a danger that the melodrama from SP is inherited within the new film?

Always a possibility. I remain hopeful this isn't the case, though.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Naomie Harris has been spending her time preparing for Bond 25 by leaning on tree stumps...
    naomieharrisBack home in London!!! Leaning against tree stumps and pondering the lessons that 2018 has taught me.

MOD EDIT: I thought we made our position on politics in this thread very clear.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sigh....
    Since we are talking about Naomi Harris again, people can hate the Scooby Gang™ all they want, but the current M-Moneypenny-Q trio is easily the best the series has ever had.
    Since we are talking about Naomi Harris again, people can hate the Scooby Gang™ all they want, but the current M-Moneypenny-Q trio is easily the best the series has ever had.

...and was utilized perfectly in SF

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    No, the original MI6 character actors were better and used correctly.

Rubbish. I like them, of course. But no, they're no Lee-Maxwell-Llewelyn.
    Only in your opinion.

In the official series, so far, they're the worst. Fiennes had all the potential to be a Bernard Lee type of an M, but so far, I haven't seen anything memorable from him in the slightest. Quite a waste of the actor's talents. As for Moneypenny and Q, they couldn't be more wrongfully interpreted.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Lee-Maxwell-Llewelyn total number of Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations & wins:
    1 Golden Globe win

Fiennes-Harris-Whishaw total number of Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations & wins:
    3 Oscar nominations
    7 Golden Globe nominations
    2 BAFTA wins + 10 BAFTA nominations
    Those are no argumentative points.
    So, in other words, these are overqualified actors who have still done nothing to dim the memories of character actors who made the roles their own and continue to be beloved in them by the fan community and likely casual fans except in the mind of a certain forum member here.

I challenge anyone to take a poll and ask about the current actors in those roles and Lee, Maxwell and Llewelyn will likely be the ones they recall, if not by name. Can any casual fans even recognize Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw by name? Sure, a lot will know Fiennes, especially from Schindler's list, but the other two?

Awards and nominations don't mean automatic recognition. Ask most to mention the Best Picture winners of the past 5 years.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    So, in other words, these are overqualified actors who have still done nothing to dim the memories of character actors who made the roles their own and continue to be beloved in them by the fan community and likely casual fans except in the mind of a certain forum member here.

I challenge anyone to take a poll and ask about the current actors in those roles and Lee, Maxwell and Llewelyn will likely be the ones they recall, if not by name. Can any casual fans even recognize Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw by name? Sure, a lot will know Fiennes, especially from Schindler's list, but the other two?

Awards and nominations don't mean automatic recognition. Ask most to mention the Best Picture winners of the past 5 years.
    Well said, sir.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I liked them all well enough in SF.

However, MP and Tanner were all but redundant in SP. Outside of one or two expository scenes, what purpose did these two serve to the story? It was like Mendes was desperately finding things for them to do, like after M calls C a cocky little bastard: MP's there to give C a schoolyard glare and stomps by him (lol), and; that third act. They were truly along for the ride, serving absolutely no purpose to the story. MP hazarded a guess and Tanner claimed that C was dead. Wow. Riveting.

They were literally not needed in this film at all.

I hope that in B25 they are in their proper places because as characters to Bond story they're not necessary outside of an assignment being submitted, a flirty exchange, and a gadget being picked up (however, I like the CR and QoS approach and feel, outside of M, we don't need Q or MP (I suppose Tanner could stick around as M's lackey)).
    Can any casual fans even recognize Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw by name? Sure, a lot will know Fiennes
    "Sure, a lot will know Fiennes"??? I'm pretty sure you can't find a SINGLE person on the planet who knows who Lee, Maxwell and Llewelyn are but doesn't know who Ralph Fiennes is.
    Sam Smith won an OSCAR for Writings on the Wall. Awards are meaningless.
    Can any casual fans even recognize Fiennes, Harris or Whishaw by name? Sure, a lot will know Fiennes
    "Sure, a lot will know Fiennes"??? I'm pretty sure you can't find a SINGLE person on the planet who knows who Lee, Maxwell and Llewelyn are but doesn't know who Ralph Fiennes is.
    I would wager that if you just showed these people just the name Ralph and they'd call him Ralf, which I've heard on countless occasions.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oh you mean that one guy who was fed the answers on 21. Wasnt he a professor or something?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541

Trio could have been best if used properly in SP but sadly they didn't, we have yet to see if this trio returns for Bond25 and if so how well it played out.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I saw FRWL again last week and I wonder if a film like that would work?
    To combat the action heavy MI Fallout. Have a real thriller filled with suspense, that builds to an incredible fight/action scene, rather than loads of little scenes with no major one? Would it work nowadays? From Russia With Love is definitely one of my favourites

Also what do you think the budget will be like this time round?
    I imagine somewhere in-between Skyfall and Spectre
    Lee-Maxwell-Llewelyn total number of Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations & wins:
    1 Golden Globe win

Fiennes-Harris-Whishaw total number of Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA nominations & wins:
    3 Oscar nominations
    7 Golden Globe nominations
    2 BAFTA wins + 10 BAFTA nominations

Very impressive tally, and I'm glad you took the time to look them up and tot them up for us.

This from the same man who claimed that our next DOP would be the first Oscar winning Cinematographer to work on a Bond film, though. So....

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Unfortunately all of these character interpretations (and I mean all) have been irreparably damaged for me due to SP. Shame.

Having said that, even if the film had been better pulled together, I think there are issues with the casting choices. Naomi Harris isn't MP to me. I believe she is severely miscast for the characterization they are trying to portray. She was most credible before she was introduced as MP. I recall cringing slightly in the theatre at the end of SF when the revelation occurred.

Whishaw is decent enough as a nerdy, younger Q, and perhaps is more in line with what we would expect today. However I think he is somewhat outshone by a similar character in another well known series, who originated this kind of interpretation and who therefore owns it.

Fiennes is serviceable as M, but he's no Dench in the part. He's a good actor, but I feel he lacks the gravitas of Dench and Lee. Perhaps some of that may be on account of his age vis-a-vis Craig. If he is retained after a recast I may be able to more readily buy into him as MI6 head with a younger actor as Bond. He was more credible as 'just Mallory'.

In terms of awards, I don't pay any attention whatsoever to Hollywood nonsense like the Oscars or Grammys because they are heavily politicized (wait for Black Panther to win a few this year). However, I do respect theatrical awards because there are still high standards in that realm (and I'm a theatre fan). Both Fiennes and Whishaw are respected for their skills in this area.