No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Newman's Bond work for the most part really sucked. Hope he never ever returns.
    I like quite a lot of bits and pieces, but I loathe that that's basically what it is, bits and pieces. There's hardly any building of themes. One moment there is one theme, the next moment another, taking the flow of the action apart.

This is my issue too. Newman is a great composer, but his Bond scores are a collection of often delightful, sometimes lush, but permanently moody pieces that compliment the individual scenes without actually help tell the story. Both SF and SP have a handful of beautiful cues, but neither amount to anything resembling a cohesive whole. He seemed very far out of his comfort zone at times.

George Lucas said of John Williams once that you could watch Star Wars with just his music, no dialogue or sound fx, and you would understand the story of the films. Barry was a similar composer in that regard. Arnold gets that too, though he is obviously not at that level.

You're not just scoring a film, you're scoring the characters in a story.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 820
    It's a very strange thing. I love Tom's work on SF, but I'd agree -- very modular, very scored "to the scene" in almost all cases.

And yet, being such a strong advocate myself for the consistent, continuous, theme-based approach we're attributing to others (Williams, Barry, Arnold in particular), I shouldn't like Newman's approach at all.

Hmm. Maybe it's just that the individual pieces, I think, are so strong individually that I don't end up minding an overall mix that isn't as cohesive.

But, totally agree that's a fair way to evaluate the score's construction. And in other past Bond films where that's been the case, the scores tend to not be my favorites.

<stretch argument>
    One could suggest that Newman actually does incorporate the title theme everywhere as a consistent through-line, since Adele's Skyfall is heavily based in the "Bond theme DNA" the same way YKMN was...so maybe every Bond theme reference in the film is actually a reference to the title song as well...
    </stretch argument>
    zebrafish wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken, the director chooses the composer (with EON's agreement) and EON chooses the singer/band for the title track. At least that is my understanding from SF and SP.

With all respect for Arnold, I think his time for Bond is gone and there are enough talented composers that burn to bring their own ideas to the franchise. If we look back, the composers for TSWLM and GE were certainly the odd choices and maybe have (or have not) stood the test of time, but they contributed to the overall character of the film.

So it wasn't Mendes who chose Adele and Smith? I assumed it was
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Getafix wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken, the director chooses the composer (with EON's agreement) and EON chooses the singer/band for the title track. At least that is my understanding from SF and SP.

With all respect for Arnold, I think his time for Bond is gone and there are enough talented composers that burn to bring their own ideas to the franchise. If we look back, the composers for TSWLM and GE were certainly the odd choices and maybe have (or have not) stood the test of time, but they contributed to the overall character of the film.

So it wasn't Mendes who chose Adele and Smith? I assumed it was

They were the two biggest, young, and commercial music-stars who happened to be British in their respective years.

The decision to hire Adele and Smith was mainly due to commercial incentives. Sam Mendes gave the indication that he had a large say in their appointments during press interviews. Especially compared to Martin Campbell who always said he was given the song and had no choice.

Eon have found a great model using the "young British talent" strategy, so I expect they'll probably keep it up. If they do, the obvious contender is Dua Lipa, who has been on a similar trajectory as Adele and Smith this year.

However, there was an overwhelming sentiment that Boyle would have picked his own artist as music is a huge part of his filmography.

I'm unsure about Fukunaga. Maybe it's an assumption, but perhaps he would want an American recording artist as those bands are the ones he's probably most familiar with. But that's a baseless assumption.

I'm just praying Eon hire the Arctic Monkeys. Alex Turner's voice on the last album was great and they have the popularity/commerciality factor.
    I'm just praying Eon hire the Arctic Monkeys. Alex Turner's voice on the last album was great and they have the popularity/commerciality factor.
    Turner in a meeting with Barbara, like:
    b2978a81f4a84210d4474854a838c253.jpg
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,261
    Walecs wrote: »
    Hopefully they go the Shatterhand/Purvis and Wade route because they spent all that effort and money into SP. Instead of taking the SF approach to re-reboot again, Eon can prove itself to be worthy of being able to continue a story while IMPROVING upon it unlike what we saw between OHMSS & DAF, LTK & GE, or QOS & SF, where the former movies had started something a little interesting but were never given justice with their latter immediate follow-ups. Sometimes the stories were barely touched-upon again.

Here we have the cast and crew from QOS and SP who are eager to return, ranging from David Arnold to Lea Sidoux to Jeffrey Wright....We already have the set up of how Bond wins the heart of the icy accomplished daughter of the man who was responsible for killing Vesper and being very elusive until found as a mere shadow of his former self, dying in vain.

...Run with the story for once, Eon! Own it!

+1

+ 2
    And, please, only 1-2 scenes for M briefing Bond and one scen with Q showing Bond his new gadgets. And one scene with Moneypenny.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Walecs wrote: »
    Hopefully they go the Shatterhand/Purvis and Wade route because they spent all that effort and money into SP. Instead of taking the SF approach to re-reboot again, Eon can prove itself to be worthy of being able to continue a story while IMPROVING upon it unlike what we saw between OHMSS & DAF, LTK & GE, or QOS & SF, where the former movies had started something a little interesting but were never given justice with their latter immediate follow-ups. Sometimes the stories were barely touched-upon again.

Here we have the cast and crew from QOS and SP who are eager to return, ranging from David Arnold to Lea Sidoux to Jeffrey Wright....We already have the set up of how Bond wins the heart of the icy accomplished daughter of the man who was responsible for killing Vesper and being very elusive until found as a mere shadow of his former self, dying in vain.

...Run with the story for once, Eon! Own it!

+1

+ 2
    And, please, only]1-2 scenes for M briefing Bond and one scen with Q showing Bond his new gadgets. And one scene with Moneypenny.

Won't happen as long as Craig is Bond. Not while the MI6 cast have the caliber they do now.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    But we're living in an age of ADD, gotta' have it now. People would walk out, shut it off, fast forward, etc.

How does one fast forward a book? I always turn pages. ;) :)
    edited October 2018 Posts: 1,261
    =bg= wrote: »
    I wish they hadn't whacked Mathis. A great character.

Also agree. This IMO is the biggest and worst fault of QOS. Mathis was just established as a great ally to Bond, and I liked Giannini's take on it (apart from the fact, that Mathis is French, not Italian), and him being killed off and deposed to the trash can is just too bad. Maybe in a polished script they would have handled it differently. Still, I do wish they kept him alive.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    <stretch argument>
    One could suggest that Newman actually does incorporate the title theme everywhere as a consistent through-line, since Adele's Skyfall is heavily based in the "Bond theme DNA" the same way YKMN was...so maybe every Bond theme reference in the film is actually a reference to the title song as well...
    </stretch argument>
    Interesting thought, but I must admit that for my taste already the numerous bits hinting at YKMN in Arnold´s CR score are too stretched ;-).

I really can´t think of an Artist that would make more sense at the Moment. Unless Led Zeppelin would re-unite once more.

=bg= wrote: »
    I wish they hadn't whacked Mathis. A great character.

Also agree. This IMO is the biggest and worst fault of QOS. Mathis was just established as a great ally to Bond, and I liked Giannini's take on it (apart from the fact, that Mathis is French, not Italian), and him being killed off and deposed to the trash can is just too bad. Maybe in a polished script they would have handled it differently. Still, I do wish they kept him alive.
    As I said, there´s a trend during the Craig era to introduce characters only to get rid off them quickly. In that regard it would make perfect sense if Bond knocked off a treasonous M ;-).

• I'm just praying Eon hire the Arctic Monkeys. Alex Turner's voice on the last album was great and they have the popularity/commerciality factor.

I can only pray that Fukunaga is a fan

Fgjl.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I really can´t think of an Artist that would make more sense at the Moment. Unless Led Zeppelin would re-unite once more.
    My god, can you imagine?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @jake24, actually I´m Right in the mood to imagine, after an endless car drive sweetened by the whole of Physical Graffiti :-).

The more I think About it, imagine Fukunaga goes again for an old Bond, and Robert Plant sings the song!
    SaintMark wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Fukunaga is the one who will decide who will score Bond 25. Barbara can not affort to lose their new director. Fukunaga essentially has more power over Bond 25 than any Bond director had over any Bond film before.

He’ll certainly have a say re. composer, but Barbara will have final say on Title Artist.

And if Beyonce comes knocking................. I am sure she'll get the job.

• edited October 2018 Posts: 17,270

Fgjl.gif

Yep! It's a shame Bond 25 got delayed thinking about Arctic Monkeys. The buzz around their new album might not be there by 2020, unless they decide to tour the shit out of that album. Or maybe Turner and Kane can throw something together as The Last Shadow Puppets again – which would be great too.

That would be something! There's a Zep connection to Bond already of course; Jimmy Page was a session musician on the recording of the title track of GF.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Really, @Torgeirtrap? That´s amazing, I didn´t know that! Who knows if Jimmy remembers, IINM he played on more or less every record in a certain period.
    Anyhow, I´m sure a nice cheque would bring them all together for one Teeny-Tiny song ;-).

But I´d settle for AM too.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,270
    Really, @Torgeirtrap? That´s amazing, I didn´t know that! Who knows if Jimmy remembers, IINM he played on more or less every record in a certain period.
    Anyhow, I´m sure a nice cheque would bring them all together for one Teeny-Tiny song ;-).

But I´d settle for AM too.

Yeah, I think he played guitar on the track. Both Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were doing session work by that time. JPJ worked with the Rolling Stones on a few songs, I think.

A nice cheque might bring Zep together for one song; the only thing though, is that it might cost as much as whatever Craig gets for doing Bond 25! :))
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 12,837

Fgjl.gif

They really would be the best of both worlds. Cool and interesting while still massively commercially successful. And some of Turner's Last Shadow Puppets stuff screams Bond. Genuinely can't think of another artist that'd tick all the boxes so well. Bet Craig would love them to do it too.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Just to think that if it wasn't for the whole Boyle mess we would be two months away from bond 25 beginning filming but I am so glad we have fukunaga and after watching true detective season one and maniac I am more hopeful about bond 25's outcome
    edited October 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Just to think that if it wasn't for the whole Boyle mess we would be two months away from bond 25 beginning filming but I am so glad we have fukunaga and after watching true detective season one and maniac I am more hopeful about bond 25's outcome
    Yup. The Boyle debacle was a blessing in disguise.
    I think it might be. I still really want to know Boyle/Hodge’s original story/script, but I want to believe Cary will be the superior option and deliver the best possible Bond film.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think it might be. I still really want to know Boyle/Hodge’s original story/script, but I want to believe Cary will be the superior option and deliver the best possible Bond film.
    For those of us who have seen Fukunaga's work, what are some tropes of his that may find their way into B25?

-Exploring protagonist's mind
    -Characters experiencing visions
    -A child dying

What else is there?

This actually interest me as much as any casting news, location news etc. I really, really want to know what their idea was, and a detailed explanation for them leaving the project. Hopefully one day we'll know, but we might never know all we want to know about it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't want Boyle/Hodge's story making it to the final cut.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    jake24 wrote: »
    For those of us who have seen Fukunaga's work, what are some tropes of his that may find their way into B25?

-Exploring protagonist's mind
    -Characters experiencing visions
    -A child dying

What else is there?

I probably would say depressed protagonists since Matthew Mcconaughey's character in true detective was quite depressed and had such a grim look at the world after a personal tragedy and both jonah hill and emma stone's characters in maniac seem to be depressed and conflicted, Perhaps bond 25 will be the Logan of the bond franchise only a bit more fun.
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't want Boyle/Hodge's story making it to the final cut.

You can't really say that since none of us knew what idea Boyle and Hodge had in mind for bond 25.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I’m hoping Hodge/Boyle bring Fleming and actual story into the script rather than P&Ws cliche generic screenplay writing... I’m sure Fukunaga will have his hand and new writer too though. He’s strong on story and character development so in good hands there.

As far as title songs go, Fukunaga capped his 6 min tracking shot in True Detective with this:

You can't really say that since none of us knew what idea Boyle and Hodge had in mind for bond 25.
    Technically, we didn't. From my gut feeling, however, and after having watched many of Boyle's films and learning his style, I was seriously worried as opposed to the excitement of the majority here. I'm glad he walked out.

Technically, we didn't. From my gut feeling, however, and after having watched many of Boyle's films and learning his style, I was seriously worried as opposed to the excitement of the majority here. I'm glad he walked out.
    That was essentially my attitude when he first signed on. However, I then became more excited at the prospect of, at the very least, a very unique Bond film.

When Fukunaga was announced, I was instantly more excited because he appears to have way more range than Boyle, I've enjoyed his films and TV work more, and he just seemed to be a much better fit.

Have you seen any of his work, @ClarkDevlin? What did you think?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    @jake24, Boyle has this certain directorial style that makes films his own. Something I would hate for the Bond films to be. I've only seen True Detective of Fukunaga's works and I'm far less worried regarding the subject. I'm assured we won't be getting any traditional Bond film with Fukunaga, but I would guess it'd be something akin to QoS which I love, but far more competent than the confusion the latter was left in. At least that's how I see it.