No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The announcement is that Craig has decided to direct and write the film himself. It’s release date has been moved to December 25th 2049
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 1,280
    The films with smaller budgets tend to recoup their costs better and the franchise doesn't require as much promotion in the internet age, being recognizable worldwide.

Films such as OHMSS, FYEO, and LTK may not have made the most money in the franchise but they never were responsible for the franchise getting diminished. They just happened to either be released at times when legal battles were to follow (LTK and FYEO with NSNA getting produced) or major casting drama occurred (OHMSS).

Nevertheless, these smaller budget films became memorable with little marketing required and only viewership over the years would only help their fan bases grow.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    =bg= wrote: »
    I wish they hadn't whacked Mathis. A great character.

This is the biggest mistake of the Craig era.

Leave the audience wanting more— Mathis’ re-introduction, and death, was a stroke of creative genuis!!
    peter wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    =bg= wrote: »
    I wish they hadn't whacked Mathis. A great character.

This is the biggest mistake of the Craig era.

Leave the audience wanting more— Mathis’ re-introduction, and death, was a stroke of creative genuis!!

It was one of the poorer parts of the otherwise very Bourne feeling of this 007 entry, I am sure Matthis demise was not done as well as it should have been.
  • For me, aside from casting, the next big announcement is the cinematographer.

I’m kinda glad Boyle won’t direct, mainly as his last few films are been a little gaudy and tacky.

But Fukunaga’s tastes are very much like my own. Which gets me very excited. His last two features have been shot on digital, though they were both for Netflix and a stipulation of streaming on service is that original content is filmed on digital. I think Fukunaga is on record as being an advocate of film.

Personally, I have no allegiance to either side.

I’ve read online that Roger Deakins is working with Sam Mendes on his WWI film, so that rules out a return. The question now is who will come in…

I feel Eon may have a soft spot for Sean Bobbitt (who recently shot The Rhythm Section), he’s best known for his excellent work with Steve McQueen. My feeling is that Eon will try and get him and Fukunaga to discuss the project.
    Fukanaga still hasn't quit over creative differences so that's good news. Maybe EON are getting their house in order at last.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What I am most curious about now, is the title and main villain.
    What I am most curious about now, is the title and main villain.

Same here.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2018 Posts: 2,541
    For me, aside from casting, the next big announcement is the cinematographer.

I’m kinda glad Boyle won’t direct, mainly as his last few films are been a little gaudy and tacky.

But Fukunaga’s tastes are very much like my own. Which gets me very excited. His last two features have been shot on digital, though they were both for Netflix and a stipulation of streaming on service is that original content is filmed on digital. I think Fukunaga is on record as being an advocate of film.

Personally, I have no allegiance to either side.

I’ve read online that Roger Deakins is working with Sam Mendes on his WWI film, so that rules out a return. The question now is who will come in…

I feel Eon may have a soft spot for Sean Bobbitt (who recently shot The Rhythm Section), he’s best known for his excellent work with Steve McQueen. My feeling is that Eon will try and get him and Fukunaga to discuss the project.

Will they finally use imax cameras?
    I'm looking forward to casting news, but most of my anticipation is geared toward the composer announcement.

Sadly, it may be the one we wait longest for -- although Newman was confirmed (I believe) at both the initial press conferences for SF and Spectre, so there's a chance we'll have an announcement in late Feb/early March along with the B25 production kickoff.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    One thing I remember was that Newman wasn't announced at the press conference of SF, he came on board later on. Or at least confirmed afterwards. It was still assumed it would be David Arnold until Newman was announced as the composer.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I hope they use IMAX cameras this time it would make viewing the film much more immersive I expect the next thing we will probably hear is a new casting call

One thing I remember was that Newman wasn't announced at the press conference of SF, he came on board later on. Or at least confirmed afterwards. It was still assumed it would be David Arnold until Newman was announced as the composer.

Yes, I believe you're correct about that. My mistake.

I'm willing to wait for an announcement at any time in the process, so long as David Arnold's name is on it. :)

AgentM72 wrote: »

I'm willing to wait for an announcement at any time in the process, so long as David Arnold's name is on it. :)

Hear hear !!!

+1
    Hoping it’s Arnold
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Hear hear !!!

+1

The goalposts have entirely moved now that Fukunaga is directing.

Beforehand, I wouldn’t have been surprised if Danny Boyle hired David Arnold. But now that Fukunaga is directing, there is virtually 0% chance that he’d hire Arnold.

Fukunaga is new A-list and he’s likely looking to hire either an established composer with Oscar clout (such as Alexander Desplat) or go with someone who is also breaking through on to the A-list (such as his frequent composer Dan Romer).
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Fukanaga still hasn't quit over creative differences so that's good news. Maybe EON are getting their house in order at last.
    What makes you say that? It could just be they decided against a public announcement ;-).

barryt007 wrote: »

Hear hear !!!

+1

Beforehand, I wouldn’t have been surprised if Danny Boyle hired David Arnold. But now that Fukunaga is directing, there is virtually 0% chance that he’d hire Arnold.

Fukunaga is new A-list and he’s likely looking to hire either an established composer with Oscar clout (such as Alexander Desplat) or go with someone who is also breaking through on to the A-list (such as his frequent composer Dan Romer).
    Listen to the great prophet.

That's quite possible.

It's also entirely possible that Fukunaga is a fan of Arnold's work on Bond, or that the producers are pushing for musical consistency given everything else that's changed on the project, or that they just genuinely want (and have wanted) to bring a valued and widely loved member of the core Bond 'family' back into the fold since the respective Skyfall and SPECTRE scores were perhaps not as well-received as they'd liked.

A great many possibilities.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I hope they use IMAX cameras this time it would make viewing the film much more immersive I expect the next thing we will probably hear is a new casting call

Hear hear , I hope they do now that they have February release date they can use imax and reserve for imax experience which was problem with WW 1984 release time.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,400

That's quite possible.

It's also entirely possible that Fukunaga is a fan of Arnold's work on Bond, or that the producers are pushing for musical consistency given everything else that's changed on the project, or that they just genuinely want (and have wanted) to bring a valued and widely loved member of the core Bond 'family' back into the fold since the respective Skyfall and SPECTRE scores were perhaps not as well-received as they'd liked.

I don't think the 'musical consistency' argument holds much weight...

Since his departure, David Arnold has now not been scoring the Bond films longer than he ever scored them. Arnold spent 11 years with the series and by the time Bond 25 arrives it will have been nearly 12 years since QOS.

In that time, we've had an Oscar-nominated Bond score and two Oscar-winning Bond songs.

I think it's safe to say that Bond music has gone from strength to strength since Arnold's departure.

Just my opinion, but Arnold's work was great in those films but his moment has passed. I'd rather someone else came in and did their own thing.

The real question is who will Fukunaga pick to sing the title song? Can we expect him to pick some obscure indie hipster band. Fukunaga looks like the sort....

z95FJeT.jpg
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,281
    Even though it will probably be more unlikely now, I wouldn't write off Arnold's chances just yet.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 820
    EDIT: Hah. Depends on which photo. Every time I see him, he's the image of debonair!

I would agree, though, Bond music isn't in a particularly dire position. Actually, I often feel lonely in my opinion that Tom Newman's work on Skyfall was very strong, and his 'original' ;) material on SPECTRE also quite good.

Allow me to rephrase: Arnold would perhaps be more of a 'known' quantity. A reliable element who would no doubt deliver strong work, largely loved by the fans, supporting and familiarizing a film/experience that could potentially have more inventive or radical elements in it.

But then again -- if they're specifically chasing a distinct, new style and energy, it makes perfect sense to change the composer to evolve the sound, too.

My own hopes certainly bias my opinion here. I may not think Bond music needs to be "saved" from anything, but Arnold's return would be such a nostalgically joyful victory for me that I could help but be extremely happy.

• RC7RC7

That's quite possible.

Since his departure, David Arnold has now not been scoring the Bond films longer than he ever scored them. Arnold spent 11 years with the series and by the time Bond 25 arrives it will have been nearly 12 years since QOS.

In that time, we've had an Oscar-nominated Bond score and two Oscar-winning Bond songs.

I think it's safe to say that Bond music has gone from strength to strength since Arnold's departure.

Just my opinion, but Arnold's work was great in those films but his moment has passed. I'd rather someone else came in and did their own thing.

The real question is who will Fukunaga pick to sing the title song? Can we expect him to pick some obscure indie hipster band. Fukunaga looks like the sort....

z95FJeT.jpg

Barbara will decide.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just hope whoever composes Bond 25 uses the Bond theme during some action sequences and gives us something that doesn't sound like a Hans Zimmer pastiche. And hopefully they will use a new arrangement of the Bond theme at the end credits instead of the same CR version for the forth time.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    RC7 wrote: »

That's quite possible.

z95FJeT.jpg

Barbara will decide.

You don't think there's a chance they let Fukunaga decide, like they did with Mendes?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

That's quite possible.

z95FJeT.jpg

Barbara will decide.

You don't think there's a chance they let Fukunaga decide, like they did with Mendes?

Mendes didn’t. Barbara can and will vetoe a director.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

That's quite possible.

z95FJeT.jpg

Gone from strength to strength! That belongs in the controversial opinions thread. Newman's two scores where remarkably bland and uninspired. Quite possibly the worst of the series.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Newman's work has been uninspiring dreck IMO. Could fit it in ANY movie. Nothing 007 signature-ish. Arnold, on the other hand, served up Barry on a platter. Bring him back and turn up the brass FOR ONCE in a Craig movie.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

No.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I'll be doing backflips if Arnold ever returns as composer.