No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Couldn't be more intrigued.

A Maori henchman is being sought after as well. Could Bond be going to New Zealand?
    Damn we have missed the cold war!!! Lol!
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Well that would be something new!
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Russian villain = Mark Strong
    Russian villainess = Angelina Jolie
    Maori henchman =
    Benedict Cumberbatch
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I wonder if SMERSH will play a role.

I remember a few fans suggesting Death to Spies as a possible future title. But I guess we already had too many titles with "die" in it.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I wonder if SMERSH will play a role.

I remember a few fans suggesting Death to Spies as a possible future title. But I guess we already had too many titles with "die" in it.

True but it's still a great title.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Maori henchman =
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Surely you jest?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Sounds good. Looks like NZ will be in this film, even if just briefly. I'm all for that.
    I still don't want Jolie in it, though.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    As long as they don't make the film overly political, this sounds good so far.
    Only as political as usual in the Bond world is fine. :)
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,301
    If all this is correct, I wonder if the main villain role (if Russian/Balkan etc.) will be a familiar name, or someone less familiar to the general audiences. The first and only name I could think of when reading the casting call article, was Goran Višnjić. What other likely names are there? Bet there are plenty!
    If Chris Corbould is the most excited for bond 25 then any other bond then we might be in for something very unique
    He could also be most excited because they called him back.

I'm a little familiar with Goran. I'd welcome him in a Bond film.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Some more details in the casting call to think about:

Female Leading Role
    Playing age: 30 - 45
    Russian. (Also open to suggestions of actresses from the Balkans or similar) Must speak fluent English.
    Very Striking. Strong Physical / fighting / stage combat skills required.
    Characteristics: Intelligent, brave, fierce and charming. She's witty and skillful. A survivor.

Could it be that Craig will get to fight her? i would love to see that.
    It's not going to be Jolie, thats for sure.

All the three villains so far sound like classic Bondian archetypes, and that should hopefully put concerns to rest that this movie will be some overly depressing small scale drama.
    So far this is shaping up to be a fun ride.
    I'm all for a strong female villain that is an actress not widely known. Just get the character cast right, and I'm happy.

If so, not a well known actress, then I think another character would need to be well known. Just thinking this through.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Tom Cruise says he is a big James Bond fan and is very much looking forward to the next outing with Daniel Craig (around the 2:20 mark) :

Jesus that last question was beyond moronic. I bet actors lose the will to live when they are asked questions like that.

Would they send casting calls out for roles that are more high-profile? I assume they have particular people in mind for the lead roles, so the casting call is likely for smaller supporting parts?

The example in the article is that a similar call was made for the Hinx character. Clearly, Hinx was a key character in SP but he wasn't someone like Seydoux or Waltz who were very deliberately sought by EON for there respective roles.

Just food for thought.

Also, the casting calls are so beyond generic in their descriptions. Though I'm very excited to see the Russians back as villains, especially considering yesterday's debacle.

If anyone has seen Our Kind of Traitor, they'd know Stellan Skarsgård plays a great evil Russian.

stellan.jpg?itok=g21TU5Yi

In terms of a Russian actress, the name that immediately comes to my mind is Svetlana Khodchenkova who was in Tinker Tailor

1118full-viper-%28svetlana-khodchenkova%29.jpg

Also, this could be a really cool and iconic look for a maori henchman

2016-07-14t095704z_1557913544_lr1ec7e0rmuv4_rtrmadp_3_france-bastilleday.jpg
    00Agent wrote: »

Female Leading Role
    Russian. (Also open to suggestions of actresses from the Balkans or similar) Must speak fluent English.
    Characteristics: Intelligent, brave, fierce and charming. She's witty and skillful. A survivor.

All the three villains so far sound like classic Bondian archetypes, and that should hopefully put concerns to rest that this movie will be some overly depressing small scale drama.
    Why is that not Jolie?
    I'm all for a strong female villain that is an actress not widely known. Just get the character cast right, and I'm happy.

If so, not a well known actress, then I think another character would need to be well known. Just thinking this through.

How well known was Olga Kurylenko when she was cast in QoS? If she hadn't starred in a Bond film already, she'd be great now!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Female Leading Role

Why is that not Jolie?

For one, she barely fits the 30-45 range,
    and i just have a feeling that her fighting, and action days are over.
    But she could do it if she puts her mind to it. Just a question whether she wants to.
    I like Stellan and would love for him to be in a Bond film.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’d do cartwheels if they get Stellan.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,588
    boldfinger wrote: »

Female Leading Role

Why is that not Jolie?
    Jolie is not from Russia or the Balkans, and I can't imagine there would be any major villain roles beyond the three revealed here.

Of course, there's still the possiblity of Jolie playing a Bond girl part. But since this role is described as the "leading female", it would seem bizarre to cast Jolie in a smaller part.

Talking about Swedes playing Russians; what about this guy? :))
    giphy.gif
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,588
    So would I (him and Craig had a great dynamic in Dragon Tattoo).

Oddly, he was the first to come to my mind as well even though he doesn't fit the nationalities of the descriptions.
    jake24 wrote: »
    So would I (him and Craig had a great dynamic in Dragon Tattoo).

Oddly, he was the first to come to my mind as well even though he doesn't fit the nationalities of the descriptions.

I guess the "or similar" bit doesn't exclude that possibility! This might not be the site to write this (haha!), but I find Stellan Skarsgård to be a superior actor to Craig himself, so that would be a fantastic casting, no matter the size of the part. Skarsgård is one of my favourite actors.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I can't imagine there would be any major villain roles beyond the three revealed here.

According to the description, female character from the casting call could even be an ally. For example, a Russian agent teaming up with Bond against the villain.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,449
    Maori, will Bond return to Tahiti.

Mabey another Live and Let Die ( Solace / ghost) element.
    I can't imagine there would be any major villain roles beyond the three revealed here.

According to the description, female character from the casting call could even be an ally. For example, a Russian agent teaming up with Bond against the villain.
    Great point. I had assumed the female part would be that of a villain but it could very well be a different situation. I was hoping for a female antagonist this time around.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 1,261
    Maori henchman =
    Benedict Cumberbatch

How about
    Robert Downey, jr.
    ? ;)

The question is, are they looking for real Russian/Balkan actors? Not necessarily, I assume. Gottfried John was German, Famke Janssen is Dutch, Sean Bean British. And a Maori actor for the henchmen? I don't know about his acting skills, biut Jonah Lomu at least would have looked like he could do thsat part. But not any more.

And SMERSH as a title? Why not? Could think of worse.