No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Bond 25 crew member odds in my opinion as of early June:

Composer:
    50% - David Arnold (worked on 1 Boyle movie)
    5% - John Murphy (worked on 3 Boyle movies)
    5% - A.R. Rahman (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    40% - someone else

UPDATE:

45% - Daniel Pemberton
    40% - David Arnold
    15% - someone else

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Why do you think pemberton is more likely now? @PanchitoPistoles
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,399
    @PanchitoPistoles count me for an Arnold return.

i hope Arnold does come back.. he's continued to be a good steward for Bond and EON.. people can criticize his work all you want but i've missed him and what he brings... he gets it from a musical standpoint and he continued on what Barry started. it would be like going to watch SW with a new composer, and not getting that John Williams vibe from the music... When left to his own devices (meaning control over the score, as well as the title theme) DA has turned out masterful work in weaving the two together - something sorely lacking from the previous two films... i would welcome back Arnold with open arms.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As would I. A new Arnold score after 8 years (GE Reloaded being his last Bond work.) would be an interesting and welcome experience.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Why do you think pemberton is more likely now? @PanchitoPistoles
    1. Boyle has worked with Pemberton more Recently than he has with Arnold. 2. Pemberton stock is far higher right now than Arnold's in the film industry. 3. There is nothing exciting about Arnold doing yet another Bond score, I'm sure Boyle would want something more fresh.
    Arnold though my personal choice is still Trevor Rabin
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2018 Posts: 16,330
    I wouldn't mind Christopher Lennertz. He scored the From Russia with Love and Quantum of Solace videogames and the music for those are both excellent. He also did the music for the Lost in Space reboot which the music in that is also very good.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,157
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Arnold collaborating with another musician is even better. Both can keep each other in check.

I'll be honest, with Barry gone, I'm all for the best parts of an Arnold score and the best parts of Newman's SPECTRE score combined.

Yes, I truly like a lot of what Newman did for SPECTRE. Wasn't a fan of his rehashing of tracks and cues from the SF score, but there's new stuff in that score that works very well, both as a standalone listening experience and as used in the film. Arnold's thematic sensibilities with Newman's ethereal sounds would result in a smashing score, if you ask me.

I thought a few times what it could have been if instead of wasting half the budget on the biggest explosion no one ever cared about they actually hired Arnold so that he could write new pieces to replace Skyfall's rehashes, so that we could get the best of both worlds. But then again Mendes was rather happy with the final result.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd be quite happy with David Arnold's return. I hope it happens, either solo or collaborating.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Boyle loves his music as part of his visual and aural presentation, so i would not be surprised if he went for a unique voice.

But I'm with some of the other boys on this site: I want Arnold to close-off Craig. His work on CR and QoS was magnificent.

The bigger, musical question I have, is: Boyle seems to like to use "pop-songs" from various eras in many (many) of his films (Radio Ga-Ga in TS2 is a very cool example). Will we see this in B25 as well: pop-songs mixed into the visuals to tell a story??

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For Bond, last being 2002 and "London Calling" I guess.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @RichardTheBruce , I forgot about that.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 12,988
    I also took the "Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead" as a tribute to Warren Zevon, who was terminally ill at the time.

So I could see a return of that kind of thing in passing. Even a Chris Cornell nod.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,157
    peter wrote: »

The bigger, musical question I have, is: Boyle seems to like to use "pop-songs" from various eras in many (many) of his films (Radio Ga-Ga in TS2 is a very cool example). Will we see this in B25 as well: pop-songs mixed into the visuals to tell a story??

Hopefully not
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,438
    Or there can use classic track as opening of X-men 2.

Silva using music too in Skyfall.

I have made my own Daniel Craig era tracklist include Michael Jackson Man in the mirror, Scar from The Lion King, Katy Perry with Rise, Britney Spears with Criminal, Jarryd James with Do You Remember , Smashing pumpkins The beginning is the end is the beginning and Stephen Swartz & Joni Fatora with Bullet Train.

Jarryd James with Do You Remember Have videoclip with endless road and Scar prepar his army.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hmmm, some weird things happening lately around the rumour of Mark Strong...
    First that Instagram comment was altered... and now, this!

29382096738_db91be0b41_o.jpg

So is Strong in or not?
    I think, we found its not him in the pic. Stanley Tucci or ehst his name is
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote: »
    Hmmm, some weird things happening lately around the rumour of Mark Strong...
    First that Instagram comment was altered... and now, this!

29382096738_db91be0b41_o.jpg

So is Strong in or not?

This is probably a reference to something completely different.

If he is in, I will eat my cat.
    Seems as good as a confirmation.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I would love to have Mark Strong in B25. Especially as a villian/henchman. Its always interesting if you can utilize a real life Relationship of two actors in a Movie, maybe have a much more upclose and personal fight to the death between the two, ala Trevelyan vs. Bond. Boyle would also be the perfect director for that with his kinetic no-nonsense approach.
    This is your daily reminder that Blofeld will NEVER appear in a Bond film again. Spectre was the last motion picture in human history to feature the character called Blofeld.
    This is your daily reminder that Blofeld will NEVER appear in a Bond film again. Spectre was the last motion picture in human history to feature the character called Blofeld.
    giphy.webp
    00Agent wrote: »
    giphy.webp
    Keep that gif handy - you'll be using it a lot.
    @00Agent 5 stages of grief, Stage 1: Denial.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185
    @00Agent 5 stages of grief, Stage 1: Denial.

Lol, yeah because it will break my heart if i never see Blofeld again :)) makes perfect sense
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    5 stages of grief, Stage 1: Denial.
    Coming from the one who jumps to conclusions faster than the speed of light just because it suits his narrative?
    That cat on Mark Strong's back... Is that the same cat from Spectre? It looks like the exact same one. Wouldn't that be a first for the series? Casting the same cat actor/actress? If so, EON must've been impressed with his/her performance. It sure will be interesting to see if this pans out.

People said Quantum would never even get mentioned in a future Bond film and it did (despite QoS' mixed reviews), do you seriously think Bond's archnemesis won't return in a future film, be it in 15 years?
    QBranch wrote: »
    That cat on Mark Strong's back... Is that the same cat from Spectre? It looks like the exact same one. Wouldn't that be a first for the series? Casting the same cat actor/actress? If so, EON must've been impressed with his/her performance. It sure will be interesting to see if this pans out.

It seems they truly care about continuity.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 1,965
    I can see Mark Strong being Blofeld. Don't rule out Eon going the way they did in the 60s with a new blofeld for a different film. It would make sense cause in the books Blofeld changes his appearances quite a lot.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I think, we found its not him in the pic. Stanley Tucci or ehst his name is

Let me quote myself - I am 100 sure, a pic was posted from upfront and it was not Mark.