No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. Adele's title song for Skyfall was very Bondian.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I expect someone a little more avante-garde for a Danny Boyle film. Out of left field. Unconventional. I can't think of anyone off-hand, but that's what I think we'll get. Maybe even retro.

It was the best Bond theme for 20 years. Derivative, but it worked.
    Whoopie Goldberg is not going to be in BOND 25 LOL
  • peterpeter Toronto
    fjdinardo wrote: »

i dont believe you
  • echoecho 007 in New York

She'll be in all the scenes with Al Pacino.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »

She'll be in all the scenes with Al Pacino.

now we're talkin'... hoo-ahhh
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Danny Boyle is doing a talk next Tuesday in Liverpool....

Dd9ZVfdVAAA44Gu.jpg:large

Is Bond confirmation coming......

Also Baz is going to release a new article tonight. I feel something in my bones that something is coming tonight?

I wonder if Boyle will be asked any questions tomorrow? Is anyone going?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    shamanimal wrote: »

It was the best Bond theme for 20 years. Derivative, but it worked.

I find YKMN to be better. Much better.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I find YKMN to be better. Much better.

That's nice for you.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It is.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited May 2018 Posts: 732
    Seriously ... whoever the artist may be following the howlings of Sam Smith will be awesome in comparison. Dua Lipa ... so be it.

I will be very happy to see Craig return.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Also Baz is going to release a new article tonight. I feel something in my bones that something is coming tonight?

Oh great, is Ozzy performing the Bond song :-)?

Like I said I am no fan of her music but she's the most likely artist to do it if eon continues their trend for the bond themes

How well-knows is he, actually? Adele and Sam Smith were all over the radio and internet long before they did their Bond songs. We're a year or so away from a new Bond theme anyway, so I guess a lot can happen until then.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't have too many expectations for B25.

The trouble with TWINE and SP is that they tried to have it both ways. Emotional drama combined with traditional Bond formula. I don't think that works readily. It's not easy to pull off. Both films consequently give off distinct auteur vibes with tacked on (and poorly realized imho) action - action for the sake of it. Obvious fan service, and badly done at that. I hope not to see that ever again, least of all in B25"

Indeed. The only Bond films that really managed to tie up some emotional baggage with the classic formula are OHMSS and, to a lesser extent, Goldeneye.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Oh great, is Ozzy performing the Bond song :-)?

Iggy Pop perhaps?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    2 Bond films in the past decade is not enough. I don't mind longer gaps, but they need to find a regular schedule. Every 3 years is acceptable. There has been more world cups than Bond films lately.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    2 Bond films in the past decade is not enough. I don't mind longer gaps, but they need to find a regular schedule. Every 3 years is acceptable. There has been more world cups than Bond films lately.

Cubby would have been very disappointed with this output.

But then again, HOWmany more times do you/ we feel the need to complain about it. Its such an old hat, I cant believe, i still brought up. For ...... sake, move on everybody.
    Honestly the older I get the more I enjoy the build up the only thing I wish is for video games to be brought back

As for Bond 25 my guess is we will learn some of the casting around July and August (same with locations)

Honestly though is anyone else afraid that like Skyfall Bond 25 will be mostly filmed in the UK?
    I think it's frustration because this last 4 year wait has been brutal in terms of being left in the dark for years at a time. They need to give the fans a heads up about what's going on, and not leave us in the dark so often.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Why do they?
    What did fans in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's do. We had to wait. Often two years at a time between films with very little info.
    Then with the arrival of the Internet people want to know everything every second of the day and get worked up and offended if they're not told.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Honestly the older I get the more I enjoy the build up the only thing I wish is for video games to be brought back

As for Bond 25 my guess is we will learn some of the casting around July and August (same with locations)

Honestly though is anyone else afraid that like Skyfall Bond 25 will be mostly filmed in the UK?

One thing I’ve noticed Boyle say A LOT in interviews is that he likes smaller budgets.

He likes making $10m movies look like they cost $150m.

I imagine he’ll want to put a glass ceiling on the budget as it’ll encourage him to be more creative. HOWEVER…Bond movies are tent-pole films and will still be lavish. I imagine the budget will be around $110-150m. I suspect it’ll be more akin to SF (which had a much more modest budget after MGM’s restructuring).

I think it’s going to be imperative that Boyle brings his own creative team. I don’t want any Mendes hangover. I think this means that Dennis Gassner might not return…..Boyle’s production designer is Mark Tildesley. I like the idea of him getting the gig.

Also for people who haven’t seen Boyle’s work and are afraid that he isn’t an “action” director. Then you’re in for a treat. Boyle’s a true genre filmmaker and all his films have some kind of thriller component. He may not have staged a big $100m action sequence. But he uses suspense excellently and there is always a chase in his films. For any doubters, just watch Sunshine, T2 (the finale is action intensive), 28 Days Later and even his kids film Millions has some thriller beats at the end of the second act. Actually, even Slumdog has some great chase sequences.

If there is something to worry about it’s Boyle sunny aesthetic and optimism. I don’t want the film to be an overly jolly affair. Also, it may just be me. But I think Boyle’s style dates very quickly. Even film he made 10 years ago look a little passé and cheap today.
    It reaches a point where we just want to know what's going on. If there is a four year gap, ok but tell us and give us an explaination for it. Nothing wrong with a bit of honesty.

One thing I’ve noticed Boyle say A LOT in interviews is that he likes smaller budgets.

I imagine he’ll want to put a glass ceiling on the budget as it’ll encourage him to be more creative. HOWEVER…Bond movies are tent-pole films and will still be lavish. I imagine the budget will be around $110-150m. I suspect it’ll be more akin to SF (which had a much more modest budget after MGM’s restructuring).

I think it’s going to be imperative that Boyle brings his own creative team. I don’t want any Mendes hangover. I think this means that Dennis Gassner might not return…..Boyle’s production designer is Mark Tildesley. I like the idea of him getting the gig.

Also for people who haven’t seen Boyle’s work and are afraid that he isn’t an “action” director. Then you’re in for a treat. Boyle’s a true genre filmmaker and all his films have some kind of thriller component. He may not have staged a big $100m action sequence. But he uses suspense excellently and there is always a chase in his films. For any doubters, just watch Sunshine, T2 (the finale is action intensive), 28 Days Later and even his kids film Millions has some thriller beats at the end of the second act. Actually, even Slumdog has some great chase sequences.

If there is something to worry about it’s Boyle sunny aesthetic and optimism. I don’t want the film to be an overly jolly affair. Also, it may just be me. But I think Boyle’s style dates very quickly. Even film he made 10 years ago look a little passé and cheap today.
    I am not questioning Boyle’s skill I am fear full on the lack of locations

After the overload of locations in SP, I'd be okay with one exotic location in the PTS, back to England for a bit, and then staying in one more primary location for the rest of the film. Especially if it's a place Bond has never been to before, like Ireland or Australia.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I just really want to see Craig’s Bond in the UAE or Croatia.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

After the overload of locations in SP, I'd be okay with one exotic location in the PTS, back to England for a bit, and then staying in one more primary location for the rest of the film. Especially if it's a place Bond has never been to before, like Ireland or Australia.

I'd rather have an exotic location being extensively used in the film. I think it might be nice to maybe go back to Greece again.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    yes stick to two or max three locations and use them well.

just hoping Boyle doesn't blow it with a plots that's too whacky.
    00Agent wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    CR (...) was grounded, but completely exhilarating and bursting with life and energy.
    Perfectly described. It remains the highlight of this era and I hope they go back to its style with the next film.

With Boyle it is entirely possible. Even though he has a style of his own of course. But he is pretty much known for vibrant and exhilarating movies.

I have been watching all of Boyles movies in the last 2 Month and I came to the conclusion that Boyle may be my favorite director to ever take on Bond. I never cared for any of the other guys BEFORE their Bond gig. With Boyle i love almost his entire filmography.

There are a couple of things i would like to point out, there is definitly some connective tissue in his movies that may be hinting at what he could do with Bond25. What he seems to be mostly drawn to are storys where the main character goes through absolute hell just to come out victorious at the other end, from Trainspotting, Slumdog millionaire, 28 Days Later to Sunshine, 127 Hours (in spades).
    He is a sucker for happy endings with a meaning behind them. I have a strong feeling he will utilize that in B25.

Meneds was completely different, moody, more drawn to slightly nihilistic Material, and it shows in both his films. He liked to dwell in moods, while Boyle comes straight to the point, thats why his movies are relatively short. They could not be more different from one another.
    Yeah, I've got a good feeling about Boyle, for the reasons you stated. I'm not well-versed in his filmography, but from what I've seen (Trainspotting and 127 Hours), his filmmaking is indeed high-energy and engaging. With Bond 25, I also hope we get a bigger emphasis on plot than in Mendes' films.

And with that, I'm off this thread. So long, folks!

French_Connection_II_C-e1320508476685.jpg