No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The market drives everything. The last few years, and especially 2017, have shown that the public is gravitating towards the brand name franchises primarily, and even then it's the gold standard Marvel/Disney empire that's really delivering, along with Universal's FF franchise. Every studio is looking for tentpoles (whether it be Universal's Monster, Paramount's Transformers etc. etc.

I can imagine there is some pressure on the Bond people to get a film to market soon to capitalize on the brand equity. I can also imagine that extracting maximum value out of this franchise on a go-forward basis is going to be something executives will be discussing and insisting on, given the polarization in the market.

Regarding Villeneuve: I think the BR2049 scenario is going to hurt his stock somewhat. He was already tight for time as we know given his other commitments, but the film's performance may lead them in another direction.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't think the box office will hurt Villeneuve's stock: it's a universally praised filmed on all levels. Critics, audiences, and, the reactions in the film industry, all think the man delivered a masterpiece.

And further, those in the industry knew that marketing this (especially domestically), was an uphill battle as soon as the project was greenlit. And then, as you quite rightly point out, @bondjames, the advertising seemed to be centered on Ford.

Well, the people going out to see Ford, were going out to see this film anyways (us old fogies); once we knew Ford was in it: cherry on top.

They shoulda gone after the younger demos and females... but... then again... when you think about the film, bondjames, what is there, in the story/film, that would appeal to these groups-- Gosling, to an extent, but what else?... There's a little Bautista (but he's effective for little screen time...); there's no real zest and balls-to-the-wall action...

It really feels like an impossible film to market to all demos...

But, getting back to Villeneuve, when industry people, critics and audiences are saying "Masterpiece", his stock still hovers high (and I would bet, higher by a smidge, post BR 2049 release).
    @peter, perhaps I'm not being clear again. I'm talking about box office results, which is something I believe studios will be paying massive amounts of attention to going forward, given the less than satisfactory results in 2017.

No matter how we slice and dice it, Villeneuve's outing failed to live up to Warner's stated expectations. Ultimately, Bond is gold. Whoever gets this distribution deal is going to want to knock B25 out of the park because there are so few sure things available to extract value from now.

So at the very least, they will ponder Villeneuve. Given his busy schedule, I don't see people running after him to make it work in the manner they may have done had the film been a bigger success.
    bondjames wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I wouldnt be that surprised if Craigs 5th film never happens.

I think he was forced to do that talk show appearance because of all the rumours. It was almost that if he left it any longer to say something he was de facto gone any way, so his hand was forced.

Nothing is certain until they start filming.

The way news has been handled doesn't suggest EON has a strong grasp of this film.

I highly doubt Craig was forced to do anything - he doesn't strike me as a man who gets pushed into anything. He showed huge enthusiasm when he announced his return to Bond on the Talk Show. A deal has obviously been locked down (or as good as) with him or else he would not have made such a public and definite statement.

Bond 25 is moving towards pre-production next year. Several associates and friends of mine who have a long history of working on Bond since TND are already preparing, if they are asked and their schedule is free, to join Bond again. Gassner has already revealed he is back for Production Design duties. Bond 25 is steadily advancing.

I didn't mean forced at gun point, just that he was probably advised (and sensed himself) that anticipation and interest was turning to malignant rumour and boredom. 'Will he, won't he' speculation can only be sustained so long before it takes on a negative vibe.

I think he said on that show that the decision he would return had been taken a while back, and perhaps he and EON would have preferred to announce this along with the director etc at a later date. But the length of time that had elapsed since SP and the time still to go before production starts meant they had to act sooner.

As others have remarked, announcing this on a late night US chat show is not probably what most would have expected, suggesting there was a bit of last minute improvisation and pressure to act.

I honestly don't think they felt any pressure to act, Eon have a strong poker face. It's just they all knew Craig would be doing publicity for Logan Lucky and he would be asked about Bond, which he was by every interviewer, and, with a deal locked in place with him, it was a natural time to allow the actor himself to say, "I'm coming back!" That generated positive publicity and tons of media coverage which is always a good thing.
    This is the part I don't agree with. I don't believe his Colbert revelation generated as much publicity as could have been attained by holding out. Logan Lucky was a bit of a flop in all honesty and who's talking about Kings? It would have been just as well to let the rumours continue and for him not to go on that show. Ongoing rumours of an actor certainly would have generated far more publicity than the current state of affairs (discussion about Demange? and Villeneuve).

I'm still curious as to why they made their release date announcement 3 weeks earlier and didn't announce him at the same time, given he was apparently signed in advance of that announcement. For it to be all so that he could go on Colbert and spill the beans rings hollow to me.

If you announce two or more things at the same time, one or more will be overshadowed by another. If Craig was already signed up (which is very possible) when they announced the release date, Craig's return would have been the story, not the release date. Spilt the news apart and you spread out the publicity. And I honestly think it was also quite a logical decision; Craig was going to be asked and they decided to give it to the man himself to announce his return (perhaps he requested that as well). The next day nearly every newspaper and media site I saw was running the story. What's hollow about that?
    Of course they ran with it.... for a day. Now it's done, and we're talking about Demange (who?) and Villeneueve (who's just come out with a major flop). Logan Lucky did nothing and folks in the business knew that the marketing for that Soderbergh film was unusual (to say the least). Why would Craig have used that opportunity to make his announcement? If he didn't go on Colbert would the film have done any worse at the box office? The Bond announcement overshadowed the marketing for that film anyway.

Look, I'm not saying the man isn't back. I just don't buy that the way they went about this was the best way to do it.

Your point about him being back helping with negotiations (from an MGM/EON point of view) makes sense, and I'm quite sure a part of this is him publicly and openly signalling to the distributors that he 'wants' to do this film, rather than just being contracted for it. Especially after his negative comments in the past have had such a run in the press over the last two years.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. By Craig announcing his return himself, with such enthusiasm and a live audience to cheer and applaud him, it really smothered all that negativity created by his "rather slit my wrists" comment. That makes sense in terms of how they chose to release the information. As for it only making news for a day or so, well that is the world we live in now - the flow of news is rapid and stories (especially "light" entertainment world stuff) don't last long.
    Indeed, that is the most plausible explanation, but I believe it was more for the distributor's ears than the public's. If it was purely for the public's consumption they could have held back the announcement for a later stage and still done it on a talk show, because as I said, LL was nothing.

You know distributors only really care about the commercial value of a film they want to sell, and they frequently determine that value by who the star is (although I can tell u some crazy stories about how wrong they can be). So all they really care about is Craig is back. The talk, Craig's personal announcement and his enthusiasm to be Bond again, is for the media and the public, but it would certainly make any potential distributor feel secure that the deal is solid and Craig will be selling Bond hard.
    I am of the belief that his announcement on Colbert at that time was for the distributor and not the public. They haven't given a toss about the public for two years while that bad press spread in nearly every article across the globe that mentioned Bond. I can imagine that this had an impact on negotiations. His apparent enthusiasm to come back and go out 'on a high', delivered so publicly, will help EON/MGM with negotiations with a prospective distributor.

With absolute respect to you, that's just not the way it plays in the film game. Honestly, whoever Eon have been (or were) negotiating with, knew where Eon stood with getting Craig back because it is (or was) a major factor in any sales and finance deals. The first thing any distributor or sales company asks is "who do you have as your lead?" I know this from professional and personal experience over many, many years, and also from having friends who work as distributors and sales execs. Eon gave the announcement to Craig, on a popular live US tv talk-show, because it was very public. Eon, despite what some may think here, are not fools - they follow Cubby's doctrine - be showmen and give the audience something to get excited about. When Craig said he was back as Bond, the audience erupted into applause.
    You are obviously an expert in the field and I'm not questioning what you say about the details of the behind the scenes processes and what not.

What I am disputing is your analysis of the benefits of the announcement being made when it was, and why it was made when it was made. Of course the distributor wants to know who the lead is. That goes without saying. They probably have their thoughts on who it should be as well. The issue is whether such lead is in fact committed to the job & how he is viewed. Particularly when nearly the only things discussed about James Bond in the past two years globally have been how pissed off he is with the role, how he wants more money, and all the other actor hopefuls. If all they needed was for Craig to be back then they could have just had the contract signed and have been done with it.

So, I would imagine that some distributor hopefuls may prefer some public assurance/commitment that he is back, and would also want to see how it plays with the public (not a small audience in Colbert's studio) and in the broader global media. Moreover, it's more difficult for a distributor to propose a change after so public an announcement.

So the announcement was made in the manner that it was. The impact has been assessed. I believe this will affect the details, terms and small print of the final deal for B25 with the eventual distributor which, contrary to your reasonable assumption some time back, appears not to have been finalized as of yet.

Distribution deals are based on complex negotiations and, as the conversations advance between the parties, the deal either comes together or it falls apart. So again, with due respect to you and your beliefs, the deal making, at this very high level, is not swayed by just sticking a lead actor on a TV show to express his enthusiasm for a role. Craig announced his return because he had obviously officially agreed to come back as Bond, and the first thing Eon would have done, once Craig was back onboard, would have been to confirm their lead actor with whoever they were (or still are) negotiating with. Why? Because it gives Eon more leverage in the deal making. A studio distribution deal is based on a very, very detailed agreement ( I won't even try to express just how complex such a the deal might be and how long it can last ) - and that deal making takes time, especially with a very strong production company like Eon who have a firm grip of the gold (they basically own Bond) which the distributors want a cut of. Eon obviously agreed with Craig he should announce his return by himself on live tv for all the (possible) reasons we have discussed. That won't, as you seem to want to believe, have impact on the "small print" of the deal. It just isn't that simple.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I get what you're saying about BO, @bondjames , and usually I'd agree with you-- when a film is a dud, someone will pay. Film is a director's medium, so usually the director will have to endure the kicks.

But, sorry to harp on this, but BR 2049 is an outlier to this convention. Insiders think the DV's a genius. This man's dance card is full.

And, if he doesn't do B25, I have to believe it will be he, and not the producers/distributors pulling out; it will be him saying that one project is better for his career trajectory than the other (although in more diplomatic terms).

BR 2049 is unlike anything I've seen recently, insofar as a BO dud; it's loved and spoken only well of-- everyone, EVERYONE, has blamed the BO results on ANYTHING but Villeneuve, his cast, script, art direction, photography, costume, music...-- which means, as Deadline stated: marketing failed to captured the demos they wanted.

But when I think about the film, I'd say you'd hafta be a marketing outlier yourself to have a smash hit.

Christ, even the studio back-tracked and said their projections may've been ambitious, since this was a very hard sell.

Not one bad word about Denis in the mainstream reporting; not one anonymous "source" that's planted to deflect blame off the big boys, and onto Villeneuve.

Like I said, any other film that's a BO dud, and I would 100% agree that the director would take a pounding, his stock would fall, people would be wary of signing over $150 million again.

But no one will be gun-shy of opening up the vault to Denis based on BR's BO.

I'm not saying you're wrong about your reasoning, @bondjames , but this film is an outlier, and, right now, Denis is untouchable (not one serious bad comment has been made about him; compare that to Snyder after his first SM film (and it got uglier after BM v SM)).
    I wouldnt be that surprised if Craigs 5th film never happens.

I think he was forced to do that talk show appearance because of all the rumours. It was almost that if he left it any longer to say something he was de facto gone any way, so his hand was forced.

Nothing is certain until they start filming.

The way news has been handled doesn't suggest EON has a strong grasp of this film.

I highly doubt Craig was forced to do anything - he doesn't strike me as a man who gets pushed into anything. He showed huge enthusiasm when he announced his return to Bond on the Talk Show. A deal has obviously been locked down (or as good as) with him or else he would not have made such a public and definite statement.

Bond 25 is moving towards pre-production next year. Several associates and friends of mine who have a long history of working on Bond since TND are already preparing, if they are asked and their schedule is free, to join Bond again. Gassner has already revealed he is back for Production Design duties. Bond 25 is steadily advancing.

I didn't mean forced at gun point, just that he was probably advised (and sensed himself) that anticipation and interest was turning to malignant rumour and boredom. 'Will he, won't he' speculation can only be sustained so long before it takes on a negative vibe.

I think he said on that show that the decision he would return had been taken a while back, and perhaps he and EON would have preferred to announce this along with the director etc at a later date. But the length of time that had elapsed since SP and the time still to go before production starts meant they had to act sooner.

As others have remarked, announcing this on a late night US chat show is not probably what most would have expected, suggesting there was a bit of last minute improvisation and pressure to act.

I honestly don't think they felt any pressure to act, Eon have a strong poker face. It's just they all knew Craig would be doing publicity for Logan Lucky and he would be asked about Bond, which he was by every interviewer, and, with a deal locked in place with him, it was a natural time to allow the actor himself to say, "I'm coming back!" That generated positive publicity and tons of media coverage which is always a good thing.
    This is the part I don't agree with. I don't believe his Colbert revelation generated as much publicity as could have been attained by holding out. Logan Lucky was a bit of a flop in all honesty and who's talking about Kings? It would have been just as well to let the rumours continue and for him not to go on that show. Ongoing rumours of an actor certainly would have generated far more publicity than the current state of affairs (discussion about Demange? and Villeneuve).

I'm still curious as to why they made their release date announcement 3 weeks earlier and didn't announce him at the same time, given he was apparently signed in advance of that announcement. For it to be all so that he could go on Colbert and spill the beans rings hollow to me.

If you announce two or more things at the same time, one or more will be overshadowed by another. If Craig was already signed up (which is very possible) when they announced the release date, Craig's return would have been the story, not the release date. Spilt the news apart and you spread out the publicity. And I honestly think it was also quite a logical decision; Craig was going to be asked and they decided to give it to the man himself to announce his return (perhaps he requested that as well). The next day nearly every newspaper and media site I saw was running the story. What's hollow about that?
    Of course they ran with it.... for a day. Now it's done, and we're talking about Demange (who?) and Villeneueve (who's just come out with a major flop). Logan Lucky did nothing and folks in the business knew that the marketing for that Soderbergh film was unusual (to say the least). Why would Craig have used that opportunity to make his announcement? If he didn't go on Colbert would the film have done any worse at the box office? The Bond announcement overshadowed the marketing for that film anyway.

Look, I'm not saying the man isn't back. I just don't buy that the way they went about this was the best way to do it.

Your point about him being back helping with negotiations (from an MGM/EON point of view) makes sense, and I'm quite sure a part of this is him publicly and openly signalling to the distributors that he 'wants' to do this film, rather than just being contracted for it. Especially after his negative comments in the past have had such a run in the press over the last two years.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. By Craig announcing his return himself, with such enthusiasm and a live audience to cheer and applaud him, it really smothered all that negativity created by his "rather slit my wrists" comment. That makes sense in terms of how they chose to release the information. As for it only making news for a day or so, well that is the world we live in now - the flow of news is rapid and stories (especially "light" entertainment world stuff) don't last long.
    Indeed, that is the most plausible explanation, but I believe it was more for the distributor's ears than the public's. If it was purely for the public's consumption they could have held back the announcement for a later stage and still done it on a talk show, because as I said, LL was nothing.

You know distributors only really care about the commercial value of a film they want to sell, and they frequently determine that value by who the star is (although I can tell u some crazy stories about how wrong they can be). So all they really care about is Craig is back. The talk, Craig's personal announcement and his enthusiasm to be Bond again, is for the media and the public, but it would certainly make any potential distributor feel secure that the deal is solid and Craig will be selling Bond hard.
    I am of the belief that his announcement on Colbert at that time was for the distributor and not the public. They haven't given a toss about the public for two years while that bad press spread in nearly every article across the globe that mentioned Bond. I can imagine that this had an impact on negotiations. His apparent enthusiasm to come back and go out 'on a high', delivered so publicly, will help EON/MGM with negotiations with a prospective distributor.

With absolute respect to you, that's just not the way it plays in the film game. Honestly, whoever Eon have been (or were) negotiating with, knew where Eon stood with getting Craig back because it is (or was) a major factor in any sales and finance deals. The first thing any distributor or sales company asks is "who do you have as your lead?" I know this from professional and personal experience over many, many years, and also from having friends who work as distributors and sales execs. Eon gave the announcement to Craig, on a popular live US tv talk-show, because it was very public. Eon, despite what some may think here, are not fools - they follow Cubby's doctrine - be showmen and give the audience something to get excited about. When Craig said he was back as Bond, the audience erupted into applause.
    You are obviously an expert in the field and I'm not questioning what you say about the details of the behind the scenes processes and what not.

What I am disputing is your analysis of the benefits of the announcement being made when it was, and why it was made when it was made. Of course the distributor wants to know who the lead is. That goes without saying. They probably have their thoughts on who it should be as well. The issue is whether such lead is in fact committed to the job & how he is viewed. Particularly when nearly the only things discussed about James Bond in the past two years globally have been how pissed off he is with the role, how he wants more money, and all the other actor hopefuls. If all they needed was for Craig to be back then they could have just had the contract signed and have been done with it.

So, I would imagine that some distributor hopefuls may prefer some public assurance/commitment that he is back, and would also want to see how it plays with the public (not a small audience in Colbert's studio) and in the broader global media. Moreover, it's more difficult for a distributor to propose a change after so public an announcement.

So the announcement was made in the manner that it was. The impact has been assessed. I believe this will affect the details, terms and small print of the final deal for B25 with the eventual distributor which, contrary to your reasonable assumption some time back, appears not to have been finalized as of yet.

Distribution deals are based on complex negotiations and, as the conversations advance between the parties, the deal either comes together or it falls apart. So again, with due respect to you and your beliefs, the deal making, at this very high level, is not swayed by just sticking a lead actor on a TV show to express his enthusiasm for a role. Craig announced his return because he had obviously officially agreed to come back as Bond, and the first thing Eon would have done, once Craig was back onboard, would have been to confirm their lead actor with whoever they were (or still are) negotiating with. Why? Because it gives Eon more leverage in the deal making. A studio distribution deal is based on a very, very detailed agreement ( I won't even try to express just how complex such a the deal might be and how long it can last ) - and that deal making takes time, especially with a very strong production company like Eon who have a firm grip of the gold (they basically own Bond) which the distributors want a cut of. Eon obviously agreed with Craig he should announce his return by himself on live tv for all the (possible) reasons we have discussed. That won't, as you seem to want to believe, have impact on the "small print" of the deal. It just isn't that simple.
    I'm sorry, I didn't say that anyone insisted on Craig making that announcement on the tv show to sway the deal making.

He did it for a reason, after denying it earlier in the day. The publicity for what was to break on Colbert only kicked in during that day itself, as I recall. Earlier in the day, all of us believed what he was saying on the radio shows, which was that he was undecided. So it didn't appear to be something that was pre-planned in advance to perfection. Some media outlets the next day were still picking up the morning news in their headlines (basically that he was still unsure). It was a confused message (I did the google check the next morning). Why did he do it that way? Your guess (and I'm sure you'll agree that all you have is just a guess) is as good as mine. I actually inferred in my earlier post that I believe his surprise announcement increases EON's leverage with the distributor. It also helps Craig. Quoted again, for your reference:
    As far as I'm aware you're not part of the negotiation team on this deal. As I recall, you were suggesting some time back that it was done and that a director likely had been hired, which doesn't appear to be the case, so I'm sure you'll agree that some of this stuff is moving in an unusual fashion. Believe me, I do recognize that the negotiations take time to finalize and I've never suggested otherwise. That is the case with any multi-$M deal of this nature in any business, and I have been involved with such deals in other industries.

You have as much actual knowledge of why that announcement was made and when it was made as the rest of us do. The rest is just conjecture on your part as well, although admittedly from a more knowledgeable and experienced position. So I'd greatly appreciate it if you could please allow us the opportunity to speculate here with you until we know facts for sure. Then you're welcome to school me, with the deepest respect.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    When people who actually know what they are talking about share their insight I have a greater belief in their posts, most of what is going on at the moment in this thread is @ColonelSun genorously offering his experience and knowledge while arm chair fans offer just their opinions.

I don't enter into these kind of discussion in any detail because I haven't a clue but the Internet has made everyone a so called experts. There is no real effort involved you just google it and the add your own moneys worth which a lot of the time is a bunch of hot air.

Instead of accepting that somone else might know more than you and be in a better place to talk about this, you say you are obviously more experienced in this world but excuse me while I have the last word with my fan boy musings on the subject.

There was a time when people respected the experts and listened but now we live in the era of ignoring experience and half baked hypotheisies are seen as alternative facts why is it no surprise that everyone thinks there opinion is more valid than the facts or actual experience.

We are at the mercy of armchair experts.
    @Shardlake, there is fact and there is opinion, even from those with experience.

There are elements of @ColonelSun's posts that offer his knowledge and insight into the process. I have acknowledged that in a previous post and continue to do so.

However, he is interspersing that with his opinion, interpretation and speculation. He has been wrong in the past when offering his opinion, as have all of us including most of all myself (that's the thing about opinions - they're often as wrong as much as they can be right).

Nobody here truly knows the facts about why Craig made that announcement the way he did (with earlier denials in the morning which could have been very easily eliminated via a scheduling change). Some may choose to take his explanation at face value and think this is all part of EON operating at the top of their marketing game via a coordinated effort, as has been suggested. Others, myself included, think it could have been done in a better way.
    ---

@peter, regarding Villeneuve, I don't disagree from a recognition and fame standpoint. I'm just commenting from a box office standpoint, which I can only assume will be important to the distribution company for B25 given my point about there being fewer and fewer tentpoles out there these days (based on the evidence of the past few years). Villeneuve has yet to deliver a Nolan sized hit, although his films haven't performed poorly (apart from BR2049). Having said that, neither had Mendes or Forster prior to their kicks at the can. Just something I think will be looked at, that's all and especially if there are other director candidates out there we are not aware of. This is not a shot at the man, because I generally enjoy his films.
  • To be honest I don't care how they announced it, I'm just glad that they finally decided and/or finally came out and said that Craig is back. Took them long enough.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    We may be missing each other on this one, @bondjames; I get what you're saying about the importance for BO, but, I will go out on a limb here, and say, whatever the BO will end up being for BR 2049, the Bond distributors will still kill to have DV direct DC's B25.
    Perhaps @peter. Perhaps. The thing about chaps like Mendes and Forster is even though they hadn't handled a Bond style project before, they also hadn't handled a large budget project before either (to my knowledge). Villeneuve has now (due to BR2049) and that experience is beneficial no doubt.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    .. yes, @bondjames , but he delivered on a vision that is considered (not by me, although I love it), a masterpiece... It's an outlier and people are, for once, not blaming the director for not delivering.

DV delivered... That's pretty universal at this point...

Something else failed (to me, the commercial expulsion is that the content is not very commercial); but no one looks at DV as delivering a $150 million turd; the opposite: DV delivered the goods (and more), but it failed at the BO for reasons X Y and Z...
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    I am pretty sure this was already set to happen. However could it also be a sign of something more.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-on-amazon-prime-video-in-november-2017-james-b/1100-6454385/
    What are you guys thoughts on the director (and by extension, the distribution deal)? Close to being announced or a while away?
    What are you guys thoughts on the director (and by extension, the distribution deal)? Close to being announced or a while away?

I hope it's sooner than later. Either way we're towards the end of this year, production begins in about a year, so it's coming up.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I hope it's sooner than later. Either way we're towards the end of this year, production begins in about a year, so it's coming up.
    Agreed. Filming likely begins in a little over a year's time, so I'd expect both announcements to come within the next 2-4 months.
    jake24 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Agreed. Filming likely begins in a little over a year's time, so I'd expect both announcements to come within the next 2-4 months.

Two to four months can really fly. I find it hard to believe we're already so close to Halloween. It's been 3 months since the release date was announced, yet it feels like only last week to me.
    Yes, the next few months will fly, given the Christmas period is fast approaching.

Is what they are doing now technically considered pre-production?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    quite honestly @bondjames, I don't have a guess-- not educated, not fan-boy... not anything... This time feels very different, and if I heard that we were suddenly entering into another period c.'90- '94... I wouldn't be surprised... only because the popcorn films are changed; the landscape is different; "universes" and "multi-universes" are more important than ever...

Where does that leave Bond??..
    @peter, given that the stunt coordinator appears to be locked and industry insiders are reportedly being asked to clear their schedules, doesn't it mean we are relatively close to something coming to fruition? There's obviously a hold-up somewhere, because Craig inferred that everyone was raring to go. Not sure what that is, but maybe they are just finalizing the details on the deal.

In terms of Bond in the market, yes I think the movie landscape is actually changing very fast, and I'm curious to see where B25 with Craig lands in that market.

I'm sensing a trend to switch back to lighter more adventure based fare. I could be wrong, but I think the deep introspective era may be coming to a conclusion
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't think we're going back, @bondjames, to lighter fare (on the extreme of this spectrum is the rom-com (non-existent), or the general comedy (box-office poison, not only domestically, but certainly world wide (that's why I think Adam Sandler is a genius in dealing only with Netflix at the moment));

We're in a shift where mainstream theatrical releases will almost, exclusively be INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (graphic novels, novels, comics, sequels, re-makes, pre-quels (my Dog, Morgan Creek is re-branding, and then re-making their own content!!!! (http://deadline.com/2017/10/morgan-creek-rebrand-young-guns-ace-ventura-major-league-tv-film-reboots-1202195012/)); Oscar-bait pics, then--

Netflix wants to produce EIGHTY films this next year (Warner's made 20 last year as a measuring stick), and is swallowing up the "mid-budget" $50- 120 million dollar flick (if BR 2049 wasn't released this year, I would bet it'd be on Netflix, as a hit, a year or two from now);

We're not going back to yesterday, bondjames, but I think we're actually trudging forward into the great unknown... Including Bond and his place in the world... and that's something greater brains than mine will have to figure out (I've always said, after DC is done-- good luck with that)
    @peter, I'm not suggesting a retread of the past. Not at all.

However, over the decades I've seen that things move in cycles. We've had a period where there has been some deep introspective stuff in the cinemas, started by Nolan (he made it big, although the trend arguably began post 911). That's been underway for just over 10 years now and the Craig era has ridden that wave. Now we're seeing some cracks in the box office. Will it cause a reprioritization by Hollywood? I think this year has been a wake up call. They will take stock, see what worked and reposition. Like I said, I'm seeing a change to lighter fare (I could be wrong).

Tv is completely different. There is more of an opportunity to delve into deeper fare on tv, and I see that trend continuing.

Netflix is on a tear, it's true. They are reshaping the industry as are Amazon Prime. So will Apple when they get in. As you said, they're likely to lock the mid market and the tentpole franchise brands through traditional distributors will be the rest. Technology is having a massive impact too, including how the younger generation consume media.

Where will Bond be in 5 years? Re-imagined. With a new lead. It will do fine, as long as EON catch the trend again. As I've said before, they just need the right actor. He has to be versatile to accommodate the shifts in the market, in case tonal variations are required throughout his tenure. They will need a very creative director to reposition Bond in a durable fashion again. They will have to determine what they want to emphasize for the character, what they want to discard and move confidently forward. James Bond is durable. The risk to EON is that they try to redo what worked over the past decade. They shouldn't.
    I really hope it is only 5 years from now we get B26. A three year gap post B25 with a new actor. Trends and films will be different then and Bond will need to adapt.
    That said, looking at LALD for example, a new Bond, a new era, yet it had many similarities to DR NO 11 years prior: Jamaica, Bond's apartment, Felix, Quarrel, villain's own island, etc It feels completely different in tone to Connery's first film, and I can imagine the next actor's first outing will feel completely different to Daniel's.
    I realize this is almost two months old, but it does shed some light into what could be being discussed. Apparently global tv rights could be in play. The last few paragraphs comment on the investments being made by these tech titans.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/sep/06/james-bond-distribution-rights-amazon-apple

EDIT: I was just watching an investment show where they were discussing box office. Apparently there is some thought in the industry to further shorten release windows due to the challenging conditions and get films into the home video or other markets more quickly. This could play into discussions as well (e.g. moving faster and more seamlessly to some sort of premium streaming service shortly after or even during the period that a film has been in the theatres).

I didn't realize before that Amazon has the exclusive rights (for 10 years from 2012) to publish Fleming's Bond books in North America. I learned it from the above article:

https://www.ft.com/content/0c3e5532-88e0-11e1-9b8d-00144feab49a
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,425
    It was actually a bigger box office failure than the numbers may suggest, because a lot of folks who went to see it were die-hards who saw it more than once (there are few members here who have already been 3 and 5 times respectively) and furthermore a lot of the viewings were in the very expensive IMAX and 3D formats thereby inflating box office gross. So actually individual non-repeat tickets sold were probably quite small.

The marketing was poor imho. The trailers basically only sold Ford, and he's not the draw he once was.

Ultimately the studio heads should have anticipated this, and if they didn't then that's more of a reflection on them than anything else.

Still, it was good they made the film they made. It's a rarity to be given that sort of budget and creative freedom to create a financial dud. The beancounters don't normally allow it.

Problem is that Ryan Gosling (despite being a very decent actor) is not a box office draw either. I read the other day that his most successful film is Crazy Stupid Love, which is really a Steve Carell movie. So who should have been the face on the posters?

They obviously thought that with a string of recent successful high concept sci-fi films, this was the right moment for a sequel. The warning signs were always there though. Sequel so a commercial flop. Not even sure the original Blade Runner was critically well received either.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's extremely odd that we haven't heard anything yet. The distribution deal is especially since we haven't heard anything in nearly 2 years since it was supposed to have been finalised - February 2016. It's possible that Craig announcement came when negotiations were still underway, and now things aren't moving as smoothly as planned. Their has to be some explanation. We're half way between SPECTRE and B25, and all we have is an assurance from Craig and a release date. That's incredibly tentative.

The though we could be in some 90 - 94 stalemate does kinda excite me in a way, since I don't think even the most diehard Craigites will be overjoyed with, once it's made. Right now, all four Craig films have a pretty solid fan base. I think a fifth one would end up like being something people TRY and find positives in. Like DAD, DAF and AVTAK. Not to mention that I still think the end of SP was pretty conclusive in terms of closing things out. I'm not invested in the Craig arc really, but I thought the idea of Craig finding another love from his time in the field kinda validated all the decisions he had made.

Regarding DV, I think he would be the perfect choice at the moment. It's a shame that BR flopped, but the guys stock is still pretty high and that might not be true in a few years. Also, I want them to use him now so that his name is ticked off the list once the reboot comes about. I only want Campbell and Nolan in consideration for that.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    First I would like to address this discussion about Villeneuve and whether his stock has plummeted becasue of BR 2049 underperforming at the box office. I really don't think EON is less inclined to work with Villeneuve than they were before BR 2049 opened (Villeneuve proved once again that he is a very capable director and a Bond film is pretty much a guaranteed hit no matter what), but I do think Villeneuve will have more difficulties now with Dune.
    It's possible that Craig announcement came when negotiations were still underway, and now things aren't moving as smoothly as planned.
    Ok, we all know you don't want to see a 5th Bond movie starring Craig happen, but I've got bad news for you, pal: it's extremely unlikely that things aren't moving smoothly behind the scenes right now. Bond 25 already has a production designer, for Christ's sake!
    Right now, all four Craig films have a pretty solid fan base. I think a fifth one would end up like being something people TRY and find positives in.
    What. On. Earth. Are. You. Talking. About?? Right now it seems pretty unlikely that Bond 25 won't be significantly better than QOS and SP. I'm confident EON & Craig have learned from their mistakes and will do everything to make sure they will go out with a bang.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Im pretty sure for Bond 25, we will get more of the same. I can't see the producers making a Spy Who Loved Me -esque film for Craig's last shot (although, I would love to see it).

Bond 26, however with a different lead, maybe another story. Lets not forget, the biggest box office success stories of the year have generally been lighter toned adventure films such as Wonder Woman. And thank the stars for that imo.

I don't think I could stomach a sixth Bond film in a row with the same, introspective tone. What felt fresh as a daisy in CR now feels more stale than year old bread.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Im pretty sure for Bond 25, we will get more of the same. I can't see the producers making a Spy Who Loved Me -esque film for Craig's last shot (although, I would love to see it).

Bond 26, however with a different lead, maybe another story. Lets not forget, the biggest box office success stories of the year have generally been lighter toned adventure films such as Wonder Woman. And thank the stars for that imo.

I don't think I could stomach a sixth Bond film in a row with the same, introspective tone. What felt fresh as a daisy in CR now feels more stale than year old bread.
    +1
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    You know, I've just realised how you can kinda see where the series in headed by the last entry of the previous tenure, if that makes sense. In DAF you can see the silliness and humour being cranked up for the Moore era. In AVTAK there's that tense, violent, dark streak which would define Daltons duo, and in LTK there's that American flavour that would continue through Brosnan's run. Even DAD has that introspective first half an hour with a deeper examination of the character, echoing what was to come with the reboot.

With this in mind B25 should, metaphorically, give us some idea of where things are to go after Craig hangs it up. The question then should be, how are they going to manage that transition? How do you smoothly transition from dreary and introspective to cheery and colourful? For me, I think gags are a good thing to avoid at this stage. They trialed that in SF and SP and it didn't really work. We still don't really have a 21st century humour yet in Bond, just (70's camp and 90's cheese repackaged) and that's going to take some working out. What if they just focused on making B25 SPECTACULAR and theatrical, without going outright comical. They could still have that kernel of a broken Bond, mourn Madders or something, but if we know the YOLT novel, we know there's some pretty oddball stuff going down in it. It does seem almost like a rulebook on how to transition the Craig Bond back to a more outrageous course.