No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Getafix wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I wouldnt be that surprised if Craigs 5th film never happens.

I think he was forced to do that talk show appearance because of all the rumours. It was almost that if he left it any longer to say something he was de facto gone any way, so his hand was forced.

Nothing is certain until they start filming.

The way news has been handled doesn't suggest EON has a strong grasp of this film.

I highly doubt Craig was forced to do anything - he doesn't strike me as a man who gets pushed into anything. He showed huge enthusiasm when he announced his return to Bond on the Talk Show. A deal has obviously been locked down (or as good as) with him or else he would not have made such a public and definite statement.

Bond 25 is moving towards pre-production next year. Several associates and friends of mine who have a long history of working on Bond since TND are already preparing, if they are asked and their schedule is free, to join Bond again. Gassner has already revealed he is back for Production Design duties. Bond 25 is steadily advancing.

I didn't mean forced at gun point, just that he was probably advised (and sensed himself) that anticipation and interest was turning to malignant rumour and boredom. 'Will he, won't he' speculation can only be sustained so long before it takes on a negative vibe.

I think he said on that show that the decision he would return had been taken a while back, and perhaps he and EON would have preferred to announce this along with the director etc at a later date. But the length of time that had elapsed since SP and the time still to go before production starts meant they had to act sooner.

As others have remarked, announcing this on a late night US chat show is not probably what most would have expected, suggesting there was a bit of last minute improvisation and pressure to act.

I honestly don't think they felt any pressure to act, Eon have a strong poker face. It's just they all knew Craig would be doing publicity for Logan Lucky and he would be asked about Bond, which he was by every interviewer, and, with a deal locked in place with him, it was a natural time to allow the actor himself to say, "I'm coming back!" That generated positive publicity and tons of media coverage which is always a good thing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883

I think he was forced to do that talk show appearance because of all the rumours. It was almost that if he left it any longer to say something he was de facto gone any way, so his hand was forced.

The way news has been handled doesn't suggest EON has a strong grasp of this film.

I highly doubt Craig was forced to do anything - he doesn't strike me as a man who gets pushed into anything. He showed huge enthusiasm when he announced his return to Bond on the Talk Show. A deal has obviously been locked down (or as good as) with him or else he would not have made such a public and definite statement.

Bond 25 is moving towards pre-production next year. Several associates and friends of mine who have a long history of working on Bond since TND are already preparing, if they are asked and their schedule is free, to join Bond again. Gassner has already revealed he is back for Production Design duties. Bond 25 is steadily advancing.

I didn't mean forced at gun point, just that he was probably advised (and sensed himself) that anticipation and interest was turning to malignant rumour and boredom. 'Will he, won't he' speculation can only be sustained so long before it takes on a negative vibe.

I think he said on that show that the decision he would return had been taken a while back, and perhaps he and EON would have preferred to announce this along with the director etc at a later date. But the length of time that had elapsed since SP and the time still to go before production starts meant they had to act sooner.

As others have remarked, announcing this on a late night US chat show is not probably what most would have expected, suggesting there was a bit of last minute improvisation and pressure to act.

I honestly don't think they felt any pressure to act, Eon have a strong poker face. It's just they all knew Craig would be doing publicity for Logan Lucky and he would be asked about Bond, which he was by every interviewer, and, with a deal locked in place with him, it was a natural time to allow the actor himself to say, "I'm coming back!" That generated positive publicity and tons of media coverage which is always a good thing.
    This is the part I don't agree with. I don't believe his Colbert revelation generated as much publicity as could have been attained by holding out. Logan Lucky was a bit of a flop in all honesty and who's talking about Kings? It would have been just as well to let the rumours continue and for him not to go on that show. Ongoing rumours of an actor certainly would have generated far more publicity than the current state of affairs (discussion about Demange? and Villeneuve).

I'm still curious as to why they made their release date announcement 3 weeks earlier and didn't announce him at the same time, given he was apparently signed in advance of that announcement. For it to be all so that he could go on Colbert and spill the beans rings hollow to me.
    bondjames wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Yes, @bondjames and @Mendes4Lyfe, there are just too many variables. And the film industry is never predictable. After all, John Gavin was signed to be James Bond in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Once they convinced Connery to come back, Gavin was still paid in full (and supposedly was promised the role if Connery bailed again);
    I was not aware of this regarding Gavin @peter. Interesting. I suppose if there are conceptual changes and Craig is signed, then they just buy out his contract and he moves on, the richer for it. As long as he himself doesn't do anything to jeopardize it.
    peter wrote: »
    More than likely, DC will do a fifth and final film. I just wouldn't be surprised if plans were suddenly de-railed...
    Agreed. Most likely it's him again. We'll be able to tell if he starts getting in shape.

Why would plans suddenly be derailed? Eon have announced the release date. Announced Craig is back. Scripting is happening and has been for months. HOD's like Dennis Gassner are being lined up. Eon are seriously talking to directors - and possibly in the process of locking a deal with a director. A distribution deal is very likely being signed off, if it hasn't been secured already.
    Like I said, what we have been told very openly two years in advance is likely what is fact. Nobody is suggesting things will be derailed. Just that we don't know all facts yet, including the most important element. Namely who is funding this picture.

Funding for studio pics (and even low budget independent films) is, broadly speaking, a combination of production company investment (R&D, script, budgeting etc. to get things up on their feet), studio (like MGM/Sony), distribution (like Sony and whoever does Bond 25) and international pre-sales ( MGs - minium guarantees of a payments from territory to territory including pre-sales to TV, digital, Pay-Per-View, BluRay/DVD distribution etc. ) guaranteed sales which can be borrowed against and entice other investors along with UK and international tax credits (depending on the locations determines the level of the tax credits) and commercial or private investments plus product placement which can be worth many millions for a film like Bond. So the money / budget comes together over time as each deal is secured. That's a very basic model. Eon obviously have very good and long established relationships with financiers etc.
    I'm referring to the distributor. The R&D, script and budgeting component is taken care of.

The distributor deal has taken far longer than any of us thought it would. There's a reason for that I would think.

Distribution deals are very complex and do take time, even an independent film which I'm currently involved with - budgeted at $4 million - is taking time - about 7 months now - to close the deal with a very good and established LA based Sales Company who will handle international distribution and selling to most territories except the UK which will be a separate deal thru the UK sales company. So I suspect Eon are deep into a deal now, but these deals take time.
    Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm sure it's quite complex for this size of production, with global reach etc. I'd imagine there are quite a few details to work out with the distributor having a say in things, given the majority of the spend is coming from them.

The extra complexity with doing a distribution deal with Eon is that, generally speaking, the distribution company normally holds the stronger hand (because, as u say, a good chunk of the budget comes from that deal - although it's not quite right to think most of that money comes straight out of the distributor's pockets because the money stems from many deals, including international pre-sales) - but Eon have the ace card which is Bond - and now they also Craig again (and all distributors etc. base their initial sales estimates on the lead actor/s or lead cast and/or established franchise success and commercial worth - so Eon have a strong hand and will make big demands and probably won't budge too much. So there will be plenty of battles before a deal is finalised.
    Not only hollow, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Actually, the only thing that really would have made sense is if they had come out together with a Big Bang, announcing their plans. All the news, all the papers, all the gossip, everything full of it. That's advertisement!

This is the part I don't agree with. I don't believe his Colbert revelation generated as much publicity as could have been attained by holding out. Logan Lucky was a bit of a flop in all honesty and who's talking about Kings? It would have been just as well to let the rumours continue and for him not to go on that show. Ongoing rumours of an actor certainly would have generated far more publicity than the current state of affairs (discussion about Demange? and Villeneuve).

I'm still curious as to why they made their release date announcement 3 weeks earlier and didn't announce him at the same time, given he was apparently signed in advance of that announcement. For it to be all so that he could go on Colbert and spill the beans rings hollow to me.

If you announce two or more things at the same time, one or more will be overshadowed by another. If Craig was already signed up (which is very possible) when they announced the release date, Craig's return would have been the story, not the release date. Spilt the news apart and you spread out the publicity. And I honestly think it was also quite a logical decision; Craig was going to be asked and they decided to give it to the man himself to announce his return (perhaps he requested that as well). The next day nearly every newspaper and media site I saw was running the story. What's hollow about that?

If you announce two or more things at the same time, one or more will be overshadowed by another. If Craig was already signed up (which is very possible) when they announced the release date, Craig's return would have been the story, not the release date. Spilt the news apart and you spread out the publicity. And I honestly think it was also quite a logical decision; Craig was going to be asked and they decided to give it to the man himself to announce his return (perhaps he requested that as well). The next day nearly every newspaper and media site I saw was running the story. What's hollow about that?
    Of course they ran with it.... for a day. Now it's done, and we're talking about Demange (who?) and Villeneueve (who's just come out with a major flop). Logan Lucky did nothing and folks in the business knew that the marketing for that Soderbergh film was unusual (to say the least). Why would Craig have used that opportunity to make his announcement? If he didn't go on Colbert would the film have done any worse at the box office? The Bond announcement overshadowed the marketing for that film anyway.

Look, I'm not saying the man isn't back. I just don't buy that the way they went about this was the best way to do it.

Your point about him being back helping with negotiations (from an MGM/EON point of view) makes sense, and I'm quite sure a part of this is him publicly and openly signalling to the distributors that he 'wants' to do this film, rather than just being contracted for it. Especially after his negative comments in the past have had such a run in the press over the last two years.

Of course they ran with it.... for a day. Now it's done, and we're talking about Demange (who?) and Villeneueve (who's just come out with a major flop). Logan Lucky did nothing and folks in the business knew that the marketing for that Soderbergh film was unusual (to say the least). Why would Craig have used that opportunity to make his announcement? If he didn't go on Colbert would the film have done any worse at the box office? The Bond announcement overshadowed the marketing for that film anyway.

Look, I'm not saying the man isn't back. I just don't buy that the way they went about this was the best way to do it.

Your point about him being back helping with negotiations (from an MGM/EON point of view) makes sense, and I'm quite sure a part of this is him publicly and openly signalling to the distributors that he 'wants' to do this film, rather than just being contracted for it. Especially after his negative comments in the past have had such a run in the press over the last two years.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. By Craig announcing his return himself, with such enthusiasm and a live audience to cheer and applaud him, it really smothered all that negativity created by his "rather slit my wrists" comment. That makes sense in terms of how they chose to release the information. As for it only making news for a day or so, well that is the world we live in now - the flow of news is rapid and stories (especially "light" entertainment world stuff) don't last long.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. By Craig announcing his return himself, with such enthusiasm and a live audience to cheer and applaud him, it really smothered all that negativity created by his "rather slit my wrists" comment. That makes sense in terms of how they chose to release the information. As for it only making news for a day or so, well that is the world we live in now - the flow of news is rapid and stories (especially "light" entertainment world stuff) don't last long.
    Indeed, that is the most plausible explanation, but I believe it was more for the distributor's ears than the public's. If it was purely for the public's consumption they could have held back the announcement for a later stage and still done it on a talk show, because as I said, LL was nothing.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I was bored and made a Bond 25 teaser trailer. I found a lot of footage that's normally not used. Also some great DB5 shots with engine noises. Check it out!

I believe your the first person to use the title For Queen and Country.

That was a fun trailer, but remember? Seeing as Bond 25 is in 2019? It may be For King and Country?
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I was bored and made a Bond 25 teaser trailer. I found a lot of footage that's normally not used. Also some great DB5 shots with engine noises. Check it out!

I believe your the first person to use the title For Queen and Country.

That was a fun trailer, but remember? Seeing as Bond 25 is in 2019? It may be For King and Country?

I thought the Queen was like 130 years old?

Indeed, that is the most plausible explanation, but I believe it was more for the distributor's ears than the public's. If it was purely for the public's consumption they could have held back the announcement for a later stage and still done it on a talk show, because as I said, LL was nothing.

You know distributors only really care about the commercial value of a film they want to sell, and they frequently determine that value by who the star is (although I can tell u some crazy stories about how wrong they can be). So all they really care about is Craig is back. The talk, Craig's personal announcement and his enthusiasm to be Bond again, is for the media and the public, but it would certainly make any potential distributor feel secure that the deal is solid and Craig will be selling Bond hard.

You know distributors only really care about the commercial value of a film they want to sell, and they frequently determine that value by who the star is (although I can tell u some crazy stories about how wrong they can be). So all they really care about is Craig is back. The talk, Craig's personal announcement and his enthusiasm to be Bond again, is for the media and the public, but it would certainly make any potential distributor feel secure that the deal is solid and Craig will be selling Bond hard.
    I am of the belief that his announcement on Colbert at that time was for the distributor and not the public. They haven't given a toss about the public for two years while that bad press spread in nearly every article across the globe that mentioned Bond. I can imagine that this had an impact on negotiations. His apparent enthusiasm to come back and go out 'on a high', delivered so publicly, will help EON/MGM with negotiations with a prospective distributor.

I am of the belief that his announcement on Colbert at that time was for the distributor and not the public. They haven't given a toss about the public for two years while that bad press spread in nearly every article across the globe that mentioned Bond. I can imagine that this had an impact on negotiations. His apparent enthusiasm to come back and go out 'on a high', delivered so publicly, will help EON/MGM with negotiations with a prospective distributor.

With absolute respect to you, that's just not the way it plays in the film game. Honestly, whoever Eon have been (or were) negotiating with, knew where Eon stood with getting Craig back because it is (or was) a major factor in any sales and finance deals. The first thing any distributor or sales company asks is "who do you have as your lead?" I know this from professional and personal experience over many, many years, and also from having friends who work as distributors and sales execs. Eon gave the announcement to Craig, on a popular live US tv talk-show, because it was very public. Eon, despite what some may think here, are not fools - they follow Cubby's doctrine - be showmen and give the audience something to get excited about. When Craig said he was back as Bond, the audience erupted into applause.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If Craig backed out, that would certainly changes regarding Bond 25. There would probably have to be a whole new deal in place. O imagine they've put some thought into it, since they were auditioning actors last year. They must have some back up plan if things don't work out.

With absolute respect to you, that's just not the way it plays in the film game. Honestly, whoever Eon have been (or were) negotiating with, knew where Eon stood with getting Craig back because it is (or was) a major factor in any sales and finance deals. The first thing any distributor or sales company asks is "who do you have as your lead?" I know this from professional and personal experience over many, many years, and also from having friends who work as distributors and sales execs. Eon gave the announcement to Craig, on a popular live US tv talk-show, because it was very public. Eon, despite what some may think here, are not fools - they follow Cubby's doctrine - be showmen and give the audience something to get excited about. When Craig said he was back as Bond, the audience erupted into applause.
    You are obviously an expert in the field and I'm not questioning what you say about the details of the behind the scenes processes and what not.

What I am disputing is your analysis of the benefits of the announcement being made when it was, and why it was made when it was made. Of course the distributor wants to know who the lead is. That goes without saying. They probably have their thoughts on who it should be as well. The issue is whether such lead is in fact committed to the job & how he is viewed. Particularly when nearly the only things discussed about James Bond in the past two years globally have been how pissed off he is with the role, how he wants more money, and all the other actor hopefuls. If all they needed was for Craig to be back then they could have just had the contract signed and have been done with it.

So, I would imagine that some distributor hopefuls may prefer some public assurance/commitment that he is back, and would also want to see how it plays with the public (not a small audience in Colbert's studio) and in the broader global media. Moreover, it's more difficult for a distributor to propose a change after so public an announcement.

So the announcement was made in the manner that it was. The impact has been assessed. I believe this will affect the details, terms and small print of the final deal for B25 with the eventual distributor which, contrary to your reasonable assumption some time back, appears not to have been finalized as of yet.

With absolute respect to you, that's just not the way it plays in the film game. Honestly, whoever Eon have been (or were) negotiating with, knew where Eon stood with getting Craig back because it is (or was) a major factor in any sales and finance deals. The first thing any distributor or sales company asks is "who do you have as your lead?" I know this from professional and personal experience over many, many years, and also from having friends who work as distributors and sales execs. Eon gave the announcement to Craig, on a popular live US tv talk-show, because it was very public. Eon, despite what some may think here, are not fools - they follow Cubby's doctrine - be showmen and give the audience something to get excited about. When Craig said he was back as Bond, the audience erupted into applause. [/quote

You are obviously an expert in the field and I'm not questioning what you say about the details of the behind the scenes processes and what not.

Well, since I don't believe a word of @ColonelSun theory, I do. Just as I dispute the notion that this franchise needs the name Craig to be sold.
  • Question:

Is Eon really negotiating with distributors? Or is it MGM? In that November 2015 video, Michael G. Wilson said it was primarily MGM's decision, although Eon would be consulted.

Question:

Is Eon really negotiating with distributors? Or is it MGM? In that November 2015 video, Michael G. Wilson said it was primarily MGM's decision, although Eon would be consulted.
    Good question. Based on the 2015 NYT article which I posted a few weeks back, it appears that it is still in fact MGM, with EON contributing and being consulted.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Ouch. Was that Harris having a dig at Craig and Weisz' performances together. Probably not, but that's how it reads.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,442
    Ben Cooke about as Stuntman (and already a bit stunt coordinator) for QOS.
    When he working with Gary as his teacher, for Bond 25 (almoost 10 years later) he wil be the teacher.

Caught sicario last night. Am definitely interested in villeneuve directing now.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Caught sicario last night. Am definitely interested in villeneuve directing now.

Definitely. Villeneuve's work with a big budget with Blade Runner 2049 was also impressive, as was the film. The man can do no wrong right now, he would likely deliver an excellent Bond film. I hope Hollywood continues to give him budgets despite 2049's box office struggles.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Deadline Hollywood did an excellent analysis on BR 2049. Thelong and short of it: everyone knew the challenge was marketing a sequel to a cult film from 30+ years ago. The demo that went to the film in droves were the +30, go figure. It really didn’t appeal to the other demos.

In short, the industry loves Villeneuve. He didn’t deliver a clunker; he delivered a tremendous film with supreme execution. This was a risky project. He delivered on his end.

Right now Villeneuve can do no wrong and I guarantee there are plenty of suitors vying for his attention.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I also read it as yes it‘s a box office disaplointment but nobody accuses Villeneuve for it since he delivered an excellent movie and grade A sequel to huge fan favourite.

But a slow paces, 160+ Minutes film which is also a sequel to a classic from 35 years ago did not click with the YouTube generation as it seems. Too bad ... for them since they missed something really good. But I am absolutely sure the movie will make money through home video, tv, streaming ... Excellent choice this project was greenlit.

I am 100% sure Villeneuve would deliver a tremendous Bond film IF the script is any good.
    It was actually a bigger box office failure than the numbers may suggest, because a lot of folks who went to see it were die-hards who saw it more than once (there are few members here who have already been 3 and 5 times respectively) and furthermore a lot of the viewings were in the very expensive IMAX and 3D formats thereby inflating box office gross. So actually individual non-repeat tickets sold were probably quite small.

The marketing was poor imho. The trailers basically only sold Ford, and he's not the draw he once was.

Ultimately the studio heads should have anticipated this, and if they didn't then that's more of a reflection on them than anything else.

Still, it was good they made the film they made. It's a rarity to be given that sort of budget and creative freedom to create a financial dud. The beancounters don't normally allow it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It was a risky project and, even if the marketing was good (it wasn’t), they still had an uphill battle selling this bleak, existential film to the kiddies. Someone wanted this film made badly and had the power to get it done.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited October 2017 Posts: 732
    Wise choice they did - the movie will make (small) money or at very least not lose any after some years. But it‘s art and not just the next Fast and Furious (no offense - those movies are good popcorn flicks).

I was never that much interested in the Bond directors to be honest - was curious when Mendes was announced (and happy with Skyfall since it was something really new in the series). I sincerely hope they can get Villeneuve but we‘ll see
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @SeanCraig, like the first BR, the new film will eventually turn some money into profit. Eventually. And you're right, this wasn't mindless popcorn; it was a tough sell, and I'm glad, like Villeneuve's past four other latest films, it was made.

Bond would be lucky to get him at this point. He may be the perfect director, in this moment, to send off DC.

I do believe the concept behind the latest script is something that brought Craig back to the table; it's something he can go out on top with (after all, he got banged up on the last film; it was a ridiculously long shoot for a final product that was mediocre, at best; he's richer than Dog; he's got other projects percolating in the background; he knows he doesn't have to carry another franchise again and can go back to working on smaller films and theater). Something brought this guy back, and I suspect it's the concept in the script-- how they want to end off his tenure. It was obviously was too tantalizing to turn down (since I think we all agreed, it did often feel that he had one foot out the door during and post-SP).