No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Dennison wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves, we're not pissing on the parade in anyhow or anywhere. We're only discussing the possibilities and what's more logical and sensible given the instruments on the table before us. I'm open for surprises at whatnot, but what I don't take into account are far-fetched theories. You can't build a temple with sticks and stones in three days. We're hopeful the next film will be good, great even. Not demonizing or antagonizing it. That's what hateful of something stands for, mate. Not discussing the sensible possibilities without giving the far-fetched probabilities an invitation.

The instrument on the table is very clear to me: Daniel Craig. The next Bond film needs to be tailored around this actor. And to be honest, too much of the criticism is 'could have been' now. Too much advices and tips have been written down by taking into account the removal of Daniel Craig. And even if there's some heartfelt advice for the writers of the next Bond film, it is penetrated with a huge amount of scepticism that in itself doesn't really facilitate helpful tips or good ideas. Sorry, that is my opinion. And indeed, we are here to discuss, which I am doing right now :-).
    Indeed. We do have Daniel Craig on board, but we also know which kind of direction his tenure is built on as well as the atmosphere. It will be a film that's tailored to Craig's strengths, preferences and the template his era represented so far. We may give out tips, ideas and other certain things, but let's not forget that none of it mattered or matters to Eon. Not under the current administration, anyway. They'll produce whatever kind of film they themselves prefer. I know for a fact Craig won't go down the sci-fi route since he badmouthed Mike Myers for that only five years ago, scrapping that genre's possibility in his run as 007.

Even opinions from actors are subject to change @ClarkDevlin. I think you're a bit too....staunch and black-and-white about this. We don't know anything for sure right now. It could very well be that the fact that Craig and everyone around him now know it'll be his last film, could result in some more drastic changes that you currently can not predict or anticipate. So because of that fact, that it'll be a huge send-off film, Daniel could say something "Ah well, let's infuse a bit more cheese in it this time! I loved playing this crazy guy in "Logan Lucky", time I do that in Bond!" All I say is this: Nothing is certain, so we could better be open for more possibilities, indulge in the fun it can bring into these discussions.

Bond 25 will be amazing - how about that?! Better than all the pessimism and depressing negativity ...

Finally!! Welcome @Dennison ;-) *High-Five!*
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    @Gustav_Graves

I've always wanted Craig for 25. Since he was announced as Bond I've always thought he would kill it and he was definitely one of my favourite elements of SP. But SP taught me a lesson that in retrospect I should have learnt after QoS - that is EON want to have a continuity and they, with the help of the writers - have linked everything together because they think it makes it more attractive to the cinema going audience in the last decade.
    This to me is simply empirical knowledge gained from the last decade of watching bond films and I find it difficult to argue against. To think that they won't have forced continuity in this one is almost unimaginable. And the continuity - in particular the way these writers have handled it - is among my least favourite elements of the last three movies and I loved SF - even for all its maddening plot holes - as a film it romps along for me.

I am not even talking about continuity here. That's not what I've been discussing here. I think it's wrong to imply that "Oooowh because we turn Bond 25 into another continuity driven event again, we need to force out the fun". I mean, come on, I think that kind of reasoning is pretty flawed. SP can teach you a lot, but not everything. And it's also within the possibilities that EON is currently drafting one hell of a good Bond film, that perhaps merges the best of both...of all worlds.

We all need to calm down a bit, we need to call empirical knowledge.....once it is empirical knowledge. Which is now, 2 years before D-Day, hardly the case. Yes, you can point towards certain possibilities of directions (hence I created the betiing topic! https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18445/the-mi6community-betting-corner-bet-1-added-next-bond-25-director#latest ). You can even predict until your balls fall off. But we are indeed not sitting in an office at Piccadilly brainstorming with the producers. We are fans, not members of the crew (although I do think fans need to be treated with more credibility and attention from EON, but that's an entirely different discussion). So in the end -and that's always the case with movies- we have to wait and see.

It can turn out in a film that's even more shitty than SP. But at this stage I prefer to be hopeful and that Bond 25 will be a magnificent send-off. That uncertainty...that is the only real truth at this stage....for us nerdy fanboys :-). That is the only factual knowledge we have two years before November 8th 2019.

I'm calm and I'm neither a doomsayer nor am I a mindless automaton. But what is your point? Everyone be positive? We're all just speculating. You're reading negativity into my comments and speculation when in fact I would argue they're constructive comments generated through years of being a Bond fan and watching the Daniel Craig era unfold. It's just as valid as your speculations. If it makes you feel any better I'm a positive person - and positive about Bond. I love every bond film - even CR 67 and 54. And I will love Bond 25.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    @Gustav_Graves

I've always wanted Craig for 25. Since he was announced as Bond I've always thought he would kill it and he was definitely one of my favourite elements of SP. But SP taught me a lesson that in retrospect I should have learnt after QoS - that is EON want to have a continuity and they, with the help of the writers - have linked everything together because they think it makes it more attractive to the cinema going audience in the last decade.
    This to me is simply empirical knowledge gained from the last decade of watching bond films and I find it difficult to argue against. To think that they won't have forced continuity in this one is almost unimaginable. And the continuity - in particular the way these writers have handled it - is among my least favourite elements of the last three movies and I loved SF - even for all its maddening plot holes - as a film it romps along for me.

I am not even talking about continuity here. That's not what I've been discussing here. I think it's wrong to imply that "Oooowh because we turn Bond 25 into another continuity driven event again, we need to force out the fun". I mean, come on, I think that kind of reasoning is pretty flawed. SP can teach you a lot, but not everything. And it's also within the possibilities that EON is currently drafting one hell of a good Bond film, that perhaps merges the best of both...of all worlds.

We all need to calm down a bit, we need to call empirical knowledge.....once it is empirical knowledge. Which is now, 2 years before D-Day, hardly the case. Yes, you can point towards certain possibilities of directions (hence I created the betiing topic! https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18445/the-mi6community-betting-corner-bet-1-added-next-bond-25-director#latest ). You can even predict until your balls fall off. But we are indeed not sitting in an office at Piccadilly brainstorming with the producers. We are fans, not members of the crew (although I do think fans need to be treated with more credibility and attention from EON, but that's an entirely different discussion). So in the end -and that's always the case with movies- we have to wait and see.

It can turn out in a film that's even more shitty than SP. But at this stage I prefer to be hopeful and that Bond 25 will be a magnificent send-off. That uncertainty...that is the only real truth at this stage....for us nerdy fanboys :-). That is the only factual knowledge we have two years before November 8th 2019.

I'm calm and I'm neither a doomsayer nor am I a mindless automaton. But what is your point? Everyone be positive? We're all just speculating. You're reading negativity into my comments and speculation when in fact I would argue they're constructive comments generated through years of being a Bond fan and watching the Daniel Craig era unfold. It's just as valid as your speculations. If it makes you feel any better I'm a positive person - and positive about Bond. I love every bond film - even CR 67 and 54. And I will love Bond 25.

That's a bit too positive..... ;)

• edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    DUPE
    barryt007 wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

Maybe he's a ... wait for it .... Bond fan?!!!!!
    @Gustav_Graves

You have to like CR'67 to be a Bond fan ?

@Gustav_Graves

Did I say that? Let me think .... No.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Cool fact for you all while I remember, taking inflation in to account, Thunderball is the highest grossing Bond.
    @Gustav_Graves

Can I ask if you are being sarcastic or humorous in your intent,before I reply properly ?

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    @Gustav_Graves

On a Bond forum? I doubt it. ;-)

Anyway, you can express worries, doubts, excitement, enthusiasm etc. - you can praise and criticise - and still be a fan.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    @Gustav_Graves

Maybe I was overstating my case a little @barryt007 ;-)

But I have watched it more times than a human probably should and do own in on DVD, Blu Ray and vinyl soundtrack (which is a fun soundtrack!). I also have the making of book and enjoy the making of doco on the Blu Ray.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

Anyway, you can express worries, doubts, excitement, enthusiasm etc. - you can praise and criticise - and still be a fan.

Stop talking sense Jeffrey this is an internet forum!
    @Gustav_Graves

But I have watched it more times than a human probably should and do own in on DVD, Blu Ray and vinyl soundtrack (which is a fun soundtrack!). I also have the making of book and enjoy the making of doco on the Blu Ray.

I must admit the soundtack is groovy,but that's it haha .

Back on topic - I like Rory Kinnear but could do without him for a film.
    But bring back Felix from Westworld please!
    @Gustav_Graves

Can I ask if you are being sarcastic or humorous in your intent,before I reply properly ?

Neither - never suggested for one minute that one needs to like CR'67 to be a Bond fan, merely answering your question.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

Absolutely!
    @Gustav_Graves

I must admit the soundtack is groovy,but that's it haha .

http://nerdist.com/we-want-to-see-this-campy-version-of-daniel-craigs-casino-royale/
    @Gustav_Graves

Neither - never suggested for one minute that one needs to like CR'67 to be a Bond fan, merely answering your question.

OK.
    Thanks for the clarification.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Let's get back to business.

Seriously, if Rory Kinnear is "holding out", why pursue him further? I can't name one fan that's keen on seeing his iteration of Tanner, again.

As for me, I won't be going mad if Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw and Naomie Harris all get sacked. Their characters do nothing for me. And the reason I'm willing to see Fiennes once more as M is because I believe he's an outstanding actor and was cast well in the role as we see at the end of Skyfall. I'm hoping to see more Bernard Lee out of him than Tim Pigott-Smith's Pegasus from Johnny English.
    @Gustav_Graves

OK.
    Thanks for the clarification.

But if one likes DAD on the other hand ...

Before you ask the question, yes this time I am joking!

Seriously, if Rory Kinnear is "holding out", why pursue him further? I can't name one fan that's keen on seeing his iteration of Tanner, again.

As for me, I won't be going mad if Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw and Naomie Harris all get sacked. Their characters do nothing for me. And the reason I'm willing to see Fiennes once more as M is because I believe he's an outstanding actor and was cast well in the role as we see at the end of Skyfall. I'm hoping to see more Bernard Lee out of him than Tim Pigott-Smith's Pegasus from Johnny English.

That also has to include some respect from Bond,after his behaviour towards him in SP.

edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    But if one likes DAD on the other hand ...
    I love DAD. Sue me. ;)

That also has to include some respect from Bond,after his behaviour towards him in SP.
    Agreed. Bond's behaviour and attitude towards M was really out of character. It was that moment when this "trust no one" mannerism started wearing a bit too thin.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 462
    I think Fiennes is fine as M. Him vetoing that terrible plotline involving him as a traitor in SP is reason enough for me to want his return.

As for the others, ehh...I'm not really here nor there but I'd say for the sake of things, it might be nice to have the consistency of the same actors in those roles throughout Craig's tenure. Same for Felix and Wright, although I actually really like him in that role.

I think he is being coy with the press so they do not probe him further. he has merely stated he does not know if he will return, because he has not been asked and he does not know if Tanner has a part in the film. He also said this is the way it always is, until they ask you do not know.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Whishaw and Harris are terrific. They both need to be back, at the very least.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 832
    TripAces wrote: »

The one I would be upset of we lost is wishaw, love him as q, though his presence at the end of spectre was unnecessary, along with the rest of the mi6 crew. The others are less important than wright.
    It won't be that long. The next era will have everything fixed.

I would like to think so, except all these rumours about Barbara selling up, etc. Makes me think we could be in for a lengthy wait after the Craig era ends. I hope they simplify everything and manage to get a new era up and running within 3 years. That way Campbell is still in the picture for B26.
    Don't worry, mate. Barbara won't sell up. It's Eon's livelihood. Had their crusade of acquiring the SPECTRE/Blofeld/Thunderball rights not been turned into a reality, I'd have believed that. Those rumours are false as they come. They even fought 20 years back to get exclusive production rights to the James Bond screen IP and films.

Absolutely no way the family will sell up with Michael 's Sons already working on the films and Barbara's daughter already showing a keen eye for producing (confirmed on Everything Or Nothing Doc).

I suspect to get a film made and to keep Dan for one more EON/MGM agreed a new 1 film deal with Sony distributing. This giving them more time to ponder over the other offers i.e Warner Brothers, Sony, rumoured Amazon and Apple and potentially Disney.

Which is great, Bond finds a solid financially backed home (likely a film every 2 years), with a new actor and potentially EON under the next generations control. What a way to start of the next incarnation and timeline.
    Well said, @SirHilaryBray!

Still it might be wishful thinking. None of the big shots at EON has shown any kind of passion or love in the last years for their bread and butter franchise. Instead they are trying to establish new spy franchises(!!!)
    Also the work that Michael's son has done at Spectre might have convinced them that it might be time to make the big cut. Giving the inflated prices these days they might fetch up several billions for the rights on James bond. Several billions with which they can do whatever they want. Would you decline?
    It's out of character. They won't sell the franchise.

Maybe. I don't know them personally so I really can't say. But the possibility exists, nevertheless.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    TripAces wrote: »

I disagree. They're both cast in certain personifications of characters that are badly constructed to begin with. Kinnear also falls flat in that department. Whishaw's Q does absolutely nothing for me (he was better in Spectre, though. I'll give him that), and Harris' Moneypenny has too much screentime. I'd rather they get more suitable actors and an actress for these roles.
    It won't be that long. The next era will have everything fixed.

I would like to think so, except all these rumours about Barbara selling up, etc. Makes me think we could be in for a lengthy wait after the Craig era ends. I hope they simplify everything and manage to get a new era up and running within 3 years. That way Campbell is still in the picture for B26.
    Don't worry, mate. Barbara won't sell up. It's Eon's livelihood. Had their crusade of acquiring the SPECTRE/Blofeld/Thunderball rights not been turned into a reality, I'd have believed that. Those rumours are false as they come. They even fought 20 years back to get exclusive production rights to the James Bond screen IP and films.

Absolutely no way the family will sell up with Michael 's Sons already working on the films and Barbara's daughter already showing a keen eye for producing (confirmed on Everything Or Nothing Doc).

I suspect to get a film made and to keep Dan for one more EON/MGM agreed a new 1 film deal with Sony distributing. This giving them more time to ponder over the other offers i.e Warner Brothers, Sony, rumoured Amazon and Apple and potentially Disney.

Which is great, Bond finds a solid financially backed home (likely a film every 2 years), with a new actor and potentially EON under the next generations control. What a way to start of the next incarnation and timeline.
    Well said, @SirHilaryBray!

Still it might be wishful thinking. None of the big shots at EON has shown any kind of passion or love in the last years for their bread and butter franchise. Instead they are trying to establish new spy franchises(!!!)
    Also the work that Michael's son has done at Spectre might have convinced them that it might be time to make the big cut. Giving the inflated prices these days they might fetch up several billions for the rights on James bond. Several billions with which they can do whatever they want. Would you decline?

Maybe. I don't know them personally so I really can't say. But the possibility exists, nevertheless.
    Not with these two, mate.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Your crystal ball is cloudy, Mr. Devlin.
    Your crystal ball is cloudy, Mr. Devlin.
    We'll see, Mr. Pistoles.