No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    There’s no possibility in hell Bond would go sci-fi in the Craig tenure. The era is so grounded you can hardly mention a nuclear missile in it, let alone getting space shuttles and Elon Musk involved. It’s bollocks. Can’t believe this “story” has been taken seriously. I thought we’d laugh it out in half a page and move on after shrugging it off.

How would you react if something like....this....actually becomes true then dear @ClarkDevlin :-)?
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13322/realistic-serious-story-ideas-for-bond-25-to-be-used-by-eon-productions-ltd/p1 or,
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment-update-aston-martin-now-a-formula-1-team/p1
    I’d be overwhelmed, @Gustav_Graves, since that is my kind of a Bond film. But, I can’t see that happening in the Craig era. Wishful thinking, but highly improbable.

Never say never. I was one of the first persons in here who predicted a potential return of Blofeld (already back in 2011). It was a bit of a......big wish for me. And although it was executed in a rather OK-ish/mediocre way, the prediction came true.

So why can't these 'new' predictions not become reality ;-)? Never say never @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps we do get an Elon Musk type of villain. Perhaps Bond will really be put to the test in a car GTA racing track. Perhaps we do get a bit more nuclear weapons and atomic drones anyway :-). Be hopeful, be positive, and then your desire might actually become reality ;-).
    I don't see it happening in the Craig era either. It's too extravagant a concept to fit into his portrayal and style. They have created a certain narrative and character over four films. With one left to go (unless we want him in this role in his mid 50s like Sir Rog), it's best if they just continue with their current direction and close him out.

Go back to extravagant once he's done.

I'm hopeful :-). Never say never @BondJames ;-). There's also the possibility we'll get some sort of perfect merger between a CR-esque, SF-esque character drama and a more larger-than-life, funny action flick. And I really mean a perfect merger. Too soon too think too black-and-white like many of us do in here.

Actually, apart from the narrative problems with SP, I already say some of these larger-than-life, cheesy elements resurfacing again: Blofeld's hollowed out crater, his evil lair full of cyber criminals, a larger meeting of a crime syndicate, a Persian cat, GoldenEye-esque action, not with a tank, but with an airplane 'on ski's'...the list is endless!

It becomes problematic however when we become negative -or tired- about both the darker and grittier character drama and when we accuse the return of more cheesy, tongue-in-cheek elements as cheap rip-offs from the past. It's almost like snowballing negativity. If we keep doing that, Bond 25, a franchise that by default lives because of its 'unoriginal formula', becomes already a creative and critical failure two years before it premieres.

The way I see "SPECTRE" is a Bond film with problems, that could have worked better if the writers streamlined the story a bit more, explained certain dealings and actions a bit more. And et voila....

So, hence I say: Let's stay positive :-). Let's stay hopeful that Bond #25 becomes a critical success :-)! And especially ask yourself if staying hopeful and excited is what makes the road towards a new Bond film more fun.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It won't be that long. The next era will have everything fixed.

I would like to think so, except all these rumours about Barbara selling up, etc. Makes me think we could be in for a lengthy wait after the Craig era ends. I hope they simplify everything and manage to get a new era up and running within 3 years. That way Campbell is still in the picture for B26.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423

I would like to think so, except all these rumours about Barbara selling up, etc. Makes me think we could be in for a lengthy wait after the Craig era ends. I hope they simplify everything and manage to get a new era up and running within 3 years. That way Campbell is still in the picture for B26.
    Don't worry, mate. Barbara won't sell up. It's Eon's livelihood. Had their crusade of acquiring the SPECTRE/Blofeld/Thunderball rights not been turned into a reality, I'd have believed that. Those rumours are false as they come. They even fought 20 years back to get exclusive production rights to the James Bond screen IP and films. They're not going to let it all go with the snap of a finger just like that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    There’s no possibility in hell Bond would go sci-fi in the Craig tenure. The era is so grounded you can hardly mention a nuclear missile in it, let alone getting space shuttles and Elon Musk involved. It’s bollocks. Can’t believe this “story” has been taken seriously. I thought we’d laugh it out in half a page and move on after shrugging it off.

How would you react if something like....this....actually becomes true then dear @ClarkDevlin :-)?
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13322/realistic-serious-story-ideas-for-bond-25-to-be-used-by-eon-productions-ltd/p1 or,
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment-update-aston-martin-now-a-formula-1-team/p1
    I’d be overwhelmed, @Gustav_Graves, since that is my kind of a Bond film. But, I can’t see that happening in the Craig era. Wishful thinking, but highly improbable.

Never say never. I was one of the first persons in here who predicted a potential return of Blofeld (already back in 2011). It was a bit of a......big wish for me. And although it was executed in a rather OK-ish/mediocre way, the prediction came true.

So why can't these 'new' predictions not become reality ;-)? Never say never @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps we do get an Elon Musk type of villain. Perhaps Bond will really be put to the test in a car GTA racing track. Perhaps we do get a bit more nuclear weapons and atomic drones anyway :-). Be hopeful, be positive, and then your desire might actually become reality ;-).
    I don't see it happening in the Craig era either. It's too extravagant a concept to fit into his portrayal and style. They have created a certain narrative and character over four films. With one left to go (unless we want him in this role in his mid 50s like Sir Rog), it's best if they just continue with their current direction and close him out.

I'm hopeful :-). Never say never @BondJames ;-). There's also the possibility we'll get some sort of perfect merger between a CR-esque, SF-esque character drama and a more larger-than-life, funny action flick. And I really mean a perfect merger. Too soon too think too black-and-white like many of us do in here.

Actually, apart from the narrative problems with SP, I already say some of these larger-than-life, cheesy elements resurfacing again: Blofeld's hollowed out crater, his evil lair full of cyber criminals, a larger meeting of a crime syndicate, a Persian cat, GoldenEye-esque action, not with a tank, but with an airplane 'on ski's'...the list is endless!

It becomes problematic however when we become negative about both the darker and grittier character drama and when we accuse the return of more cheesy, tongue-in-cheek elements as cheap rip-offs from the past. It's almost like snowballing negativity. If we keep doing that, Bond 25, a franchise that by default lives because of its 'unoriginal formula', becomes already a creative and critical failure two years before it premieres.

So, hence I say: Let's stay positive :-). Let's stay hopeful that Bond #25 becomes a critical success :-)!
    I'd rather they didn't do it this way, that's all. It's not about positive or negative. For Mr. Craig's legacy, I personally believe they should just wrap up his continuation arc and then move on. Trying to divert now to high concept is too risky for my palette and I wasn't happy with the way he tried to play into it in SP (as I've said before, his performance is one of the weak spots of the film for me, along with Seydoux and Waltz). It's not his forte and strength, again imho. He has certain unique attributes as Bond which they should play to. Leave the other stuff for the new man. Tonal balance is everything for me. I can take any type as long as there is an overall consistency, but I can't take one where something is 'off' (from my perspective of course).
    Space tech in the hands of the private sector and some kind of industrial espianage in that area is just as "down to earth" (perhaps more so) as any of the Craig series IMHO,

It becomes problematic however when we become negative about both the darker and grittier character drama and when we accuse the return of more cheesy, tongue-in-cheek elements as cheap rip-offs from the past. It's almost like snowballing negativity. If we keep doing that, Bond 25, a franchise that by default lives because of its 'unoriginal formula', becomes already a creative and critical failure two years before it premieres.

So, hence I say: Let's stay positive :-). Let's stay hopeful that Bond #25 becomes a critical success :-)!
    I'd rather they didn't do it this way, that's all. It's not about positive or negative. For Mr. Craig's legacy, I personally believe they should just wrap up his continuation arc and then move on. Trying to divert now to high concept is too risky for my palette and I wasn't happy with the way he tried to play into it in SP (as I've said before, his performance is one of the weak spots of the film for me, along with Seydoux and Waltz). It's not his forte and strength, again imho. He has certain unique attributes as Bond which they should play to. Leave the other stuff for the new man.

But @BondJames...the man IS coming back. That's the fact we have to live with. So why not try thinking towards a direction that results in a marvellous send-off! It's no good to talk about 'shoulds' and 'could have been's.

And I actually agree with you, that diverting to that 'high concept' is risky. But it depends how you do it. I think it's perfectly possible to create a perfect merger between the typical darker character drama of the Craig-era and a bit more 'zest, fun and cheese'. To do that, one should not think too black-and-white. For me it's a no-go to think 'Craig did that so he can't do this'. It all depends on huw nuanced writers can tackle this and that these writers don't turn Bond 25 in a full-blown "Die Another Day". It's all about finding the perfect middleway. Because we're talking about Craig's send-off here. (I wouldn't be surprised if Neal Purvis & Robert Wade think as I do)

Be hopeful and positive. Let's not highlight our 'creative mental depressions', and instead focus on finding good (and realistic) solutions to create another great Bond masterpiece. For the sake of Craig's 5th and final outing as Her Majesty's Secret Agent. And if it's not a masterpiece? By jolly, then at least we have another Bond film :-D!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    I'd rather they didn't do it this way, that's all. It's not about positive or negative. For Mr. Craig's legacy, I personally believe they should just wrap up his continuation arc and then move on. Trying to divert now to high concept is too risky for my palette and I wasn't happy with the way he tried to play into it in SP (as I've said before, his performance is one of the weak spots of the film for me, along with Seydoux and Waltz). It's not his forte and strength, again imho. He has certain unique attributes as Bond which they should play to. Leave the other stuff for the new man. Tonal balance is everything for me. I can take any type as long as there is an overall consistency, but I can't take one where something is 'off' (from my perspective of course).

This is how I see it - although I liked the way Craig played it in SP, the narrative was just against him. Long story short - wrap this up as best you can and then in the words of Milton Krest 'I'd like to deep six' the continuity. Start a fresh and find a new direction. One thing I'm grateful for is SP has firmly tempered my expectations for B25 that as long as it's better than SP - then it will be a success in my eyes.

This is how I see it - although I liked the way Craig played it in SP, the narrative was just against him. Long story short - wrap this up as best you can and then in the words of Milton Krest 'I'd like deep six' the continuity. Start a fresh and find a new direction. One thing I'm grateful for is SP has firmly tempered my expectations for B25 that as long as it's better than SP - then it will be a success in my eyes.

And again, Craig is coming back. I refuse to be the depressed 'pissing on the Bond parade' kind of Bond fan. The movie hasn't even premiered yet! And all 'we' can do....is saying that Bond #25 can mostly be a success if Craig f&*%ks off and we start anew? Jolly, there were days when we welcomed the return of the same Bond actor!

Also, and I have to say this now to everyone. I dislike tempering my expectations. Because you know why? I am never disappointed that way, even when the film isn't that good (which was the case with SP)! If I skyrocket my expectations, I basically see much clearer afterwards why that movie was a failure or a mediocre piece of s**t. I reconcile myself with the disappointment much easier and much faster that way.
    @Gustav_Graves, we're not pissing on the parade in anyhow or anywhere. We're only discussing the possibilities and what's more logical and sensible given the instruments on the table before us. I'm open for surprises at whatnot, but what I don't take into account are far-fetched theories. You can't build a temple with sticks and stones in three days. We're hopeful the next film will be good, great even. Not demonizing or antagonizing it. That's what hateful of something stands for, mate. Not discussing the sensible possibilities without giving the far-fetched probabilities an invitation.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Don't worry, mate. Barbara won't sell up. It's Eon's livelihood. Had their crusade of acquiring the SPECTRE/Blofeld/Thunderball rights not been turned into a reality, I'd have believed that. Those rumours are false as they come. They even fought 20 years back to get exclusive production rights to the James Bond screen IP and films.

Absolutely no way the family will sell up with Michael 's Sons already working on the films and Barbara's daughter already showing a keen eye for producing (confirmed on Everything Or Nothing Doc).

I suspect to get a film made and to keep Dan for one more EON/MGM agreed a new 1 film deal with Sony distributing. This giving them more time to ponder over the other offers i.e Warner Brothers, Sony, rumoured Amazon and Apple and potentially Disney.

Which is great, Bond finds a solid financially backed home (likely a film every 2 years), with a new actor and potentially EON under the next generations control. What a way to start of the next incarnation and timeline.

Don't worry, mate. Barbara won't sell up. It's Eon's livelihood. Had their crusade of acquiring the SPECTRE/Blofeld/Thunderball rights not been turned into a reality, I'd have believed that. Those rumours are false as they come. They even fought 20 years back to get exclusive production rights to the James Bond screen IP and films.

Absolutely no way the family will sell up with Michael 's Sons already working on the films and Barbara's daughter already showing a keen eye for producing (confirmed on Everything Or Nothing Doc).

I suspect to get a film made and to keep Dan for one more EON/MGM agreed a new 1 film deal with Sony distributing. This giving them more time to ponder over the other offers i.e Warner Brothers, Sony, rumoured Amazon and Apple and potentially Disney.

Which is great, Bond finds a solid financially backed home (likely a film every 2 years), with a new actor and potentially EON under the next generations control. What a way to start of the next incarnation and timeline.
    Well said, @SirHilaryBray!

You think Daniel will be in BOND26 as well ,Hilly ?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138
    barryt007 wrote: »

No, I think 25 is it for him. He gets to retire the longest serving Bond and on a high as a very rich man.

No, I think 25 is it for him. He gets to retire the longest serving Bond and on a high as a very rich man.

Good ,that's what I thought you meant.

@Gustav_Graves, we're not pissing on the parade in anyhow or anywhere. We're only discussing the possibilities and what's more logical and sensible given the instruments on the table before us. I'm open for surprises at whatnot, but what I don't take into account are far-fetched theories. You can't build a temple with sticks and stones in three days. We're hopeful the next film will be good, great even. Not demonizing or antagonizing it. That's what hateful of something stands for, mate. Not discussing the sensible possibilities without giving the far-fetched probabilities an invitation.

The instrument on the table is very clear to me: Daniel Craig. The next, 25th Bond film needs to be tailored around this actor. And to be honest, too much of the criticism is 'could have been' now. Too much advices and tips have been written down by taking into account the removal of Daniel Craig. And even if there's some heartfelt advice for the writers of the next Bond film, it is penetrated with a huge amount of scepticism that in itself doesn't really facilitate helpful tips or good ideas. Sorry, that is my opinion. And indeed, we are here to discuss, which I am doing right now :-).
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138

Good ,that's what I thought you meant.

My genuine belief, Craig would have gone if Spectre received the acclaim Skyfall got. I believe he wants to spark the debate as to whether he is the best ever, as his tenure is reflected back on. And I believe he knows Spectre wasn't going to do that for him. I think he knows he needs another solid movie for that discussion to be sparked one day. I don't know if that comes from Craig's Ego or whether he just wants to be the best at everything he does (Cough Cowboys and Aliens).

Before anyone starts, I am a massive fan of Craig.

The instrument on the table is very clear to me: Daniel Craig. The next Bond film needs to be tailored around this actor. And to be honest, too much of the criticism is 'could have been' now. Too much advices and tips have been written down by taking into account the removal of Daniel Craig. And even if there's some heartfelt advice for the writers of the next Bond film, it is penetrated with a huge amount of scepticism that in itself doesn't really facilitate helpful tips or good ideas. Sorry, that is my opinion. And indeed, we are here to discuss, which I am doing right now :-).
    Indeed. We do have Daniel Craig on board, but we also know which kind of direction his tenure is built on as well as the atmosphere. It will be a film that's tailored to Craig's strengths, preferences and the template his era represented so far. We may give out tips, ideas and other certain things, but let's not forget that none of it mattered or matters to Eon. Not under the current administration, anyway. They'll produce whatever kind of film they themselves prefer. I know for a fact Craig won't go down the sci-fi route since he badmouthed Mike Myers for that only five years ago, scrapping that genre's possibility in his run as 007.

Still it might be wishful thinking. None of the big shots at EON has shown any kind of passion or love in the last years for their bread and butter franchise. Instead they are trying to establish new spy franchises(!!!)
    Also the work that Michael's son has done at Spectre might have convinced them that it might be time to make the big cut. Giving the inflated prices these days they might fetch up several billions for the rights on James bond. Several billions with which they can do whatever they want. Would you decline?

Still it might be wishful thinking. None of the big shots at EON has shown any kind of passion or love in the last years for their bread and butter franchise. Instead they are trying to establish new spy franchises(!!!)
    Also the work that Michael's son has done at Spectre might have convinced them that it might be time to make the big cut. Giving the inflated prices these days they might fetch up several billions for the rights on James bond. Several billions with which they can do whatever they want. Would you decline?
    It's out of character. They won't sell the franchise.

Baffling.
    Dennison wrote: »

Baffling.

Barbara wouldn't sleep at night for the fear of Cubby's ghost. EON and Bond is her Father's legacy and she's rich enough to put that before Studio Billions.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    @Gustav_Graves

I've always wanted Craig for 25. Since he was announced as Bond I've always thought he would kill it and he was definitely one of my favourite elements of SP. But SP taught me a lesson that in retrospect I should have learnt after QoS - that is EON want to have a continuity and they, with the help of the writers - have linked everything together because they think it makes it more attractive to the cinema going audience in the last decade.
    This to me is simply empirical knowledge gained from the last decade of watching bond films and I find it difficult to argue against. To think that they won't have forced continuity in this one is almost unimaginable. And the continuity - in particular the way these writers have handled it - is among my least favourite elements of the last three movies and I loved SF - even for all its maddening plot holes - as a film it romps along for me.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423

Baffling.

Barbara wouldn't sleep at night for the fear of Cubby's ghost. EON and Bond is her Father's legacy and she's rich enough to put that before Studio Billions.
    Precisely. And given MGM's vulnerability to get out of the situation they're in, I can be certain that in 10-15 years, Eon will buy Saltzman's share of the film rights from MGM as well.

The instrument on the table is very clear to me: Daniel Craig. The next Bond film needs to be tailored around this actor. And to be honest, too much of the criticism is 'could have been' now. Too much advices and tips have been written down by taking into account the removal of Daniel Craig. And even if there's some heartfelt advice for the writers of the next Bond film, it is penetrated with a huge amount of scepticism that in itself doesn't really facilitate helpful tips or good ideas. Sorry, that is my opinion. And indeed, we are here to discuss, which I am doing right now :-).
    Indeed. We do have Daniel Craig on board, but we also know which kind of direction his tenure is built on as well as the atmosphere. It will be a film that's tailored to Craig's strengths, preferences and the template his era represented so far. We may give out tips, ideas and other certain things, but let's not forget that none of it mattered or matters to Eon. Not under the current administration, anyway. They'll produce whatever kind of film they themselves prefer. I know for a fact Craig won't go down the sci-fi route since he badmouthed Mike Myers for that only five years ago, scrapping that genre's possibility in his run as 007.

Even opinions from actors are subject to change @ClarkDevlin. I think you're a bit too....staunch and black-and-white about this. We don't know anything for sure right now. It could very well be that the fact that Craig and everyone around him now know it'll be his last film, could result in some more drastic changes that you currently can not predict or anticipate. So because of that fact, that it'll be a huge send-off film, Daniel could say something "Ah well, let's infuse a bit more cheese in it this time! I loved playing this crazy guy in "Logan Lucky", time I do that in Bond!" All I say is this: Nothing is certain, so we could better be open for more possibilities, indulge in the fun it can bring into these discussions.

Baffling.

Exactly.

Even opinions from actors are subject to change @ClarkDevlin. I think you're a bit too....staunch and black-and-white about this. We don't know anything for sure right now. It could very well be that the fact that Craig and everyone around him now know it'll be his last film, could result in some more drastic changes that you currently can not predict or anticipate. So because of that fact, that it'll be a huge send-off film, Daniel could say something "Ah well, let's infuse a bit more cheese in it this time! I loved playing this crazy guy in "Logan Lucky", time I do that in Bond!" All I say is this: Nothing is certain, so we could better be open for more possibilities, indulge in the fun it can bring into these discussions.

Bond 25 will be amazing - how about that?! Better than all the pessimism and depressing negativity ...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just hope for a Bond film in 2022, that's all. The 20th anniversary of DAD.
    A sequel to Die Another Day, entitled Never Live Tomorrow.

Why?
    @Gustav_Graves

I've always wanted Craig for 25. Since he was announced as Bond I've always thought he would kill it and he was definitely one of my favourite elements of SP. But SP taught me a lesson that in retrospect I should have learnt after QoS - that is EON want to have a continuity and they, with the help of the writers - have linked everything together because they think it makes it more attractive to the cinema going audience in the last decade.
    This to me is simply empirical knowledge gained from the last decade of watching bond films and I find it difficult to argue against. To think that they won't have forced continuity in this one is almost unimaginable. And the continuity - in particular the way these writers have handled it - is among my least favourite elements of the last three movies and I loved SF - even for all its maddening plot holes - as a film it romps along for me.

I am not even talking about continuity here. That's not what I've been discussing here. I think it's wrong to imply that "Oooowh because we turn Bond 25 into another continuity driven event again, we need to force out the fun". I mean, come on, I think that kind of reasoning is pretty flawed. SP can teach you a lot, but not everything. And it's also within the possibilities that EON is currently drafting one hell of a good Bond film, that perhaps merges the best of both...of all worlds.

We all need to calm down a bit, we need to call empirical knowledge.....once it is empirical knowledge. Which is now, 2 years before D-Day, hardly the case. Yes, you can point towards certain possibilities of directions (hence I created the betiing topic! https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18445/the-mi6community-betting-corner-bet-1-added-next-bond-25-director#latest ). You can even predict until your balls fall off. But we are indeed not sitting in an office at Piccadilly brainstorming with the producers. We are fans, not members of the crew (although I do think fans need to be treated with more credibility and attention from EON, but that's an entirely different discussion). So in the end -and that's always the case with movies- we have to wait and see.

It can turn out in a film that's even more shitty than SP. But at this stage I prefer to be hopeful and that Bond 25 will be a magnificent send-off. That uncertainty...that is the only real truth at this stage....for us nerdy fanboys :-). That is the only factual knowledge we have two years before November 8th 2019.