No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

vzok wrote: »
    Tanner is the author of all of Bond's pain.

With a bottle of Heinneken!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Tanner’s character in the Craig era is just... bland. His presence is akin to what Moneypennt, M and Q used to be in the old films, only boringly written.

I wouldn’t miss him if he doesn’t return.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,425
    That quote about cars turning into submarines is clearly garbage. A Puff piece. Bond did it decades ago (as we all know). Bond went into space almost 40 years ago and hasn't been back. DAD was the closest we've been to this nonsense since then and is largely regarded as total garbage. I doubt this is the avenue EON are exploring unless they've gone insane.

As already suggested above, by all means send Tanner into space. Forever.

Does the Kinnear character even bear the slightest resemblance to Fleming's character? Weren't he and Bond supposed to be friends? Seems unlikely with this version.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    He just wants to make sure he'll be able to go out 'on a high' before committing.

Oyelowo isn't doing anymore interviews soon, is he?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Nah, we need ´em all, to support Bond in the field, alongside M, Q, and MP, to at last make Bond look like the fool he is.

Just bring everyone back for a Suicide Squad/ Expendables style film.

Felix, Robinson, Villiers, Moneypenny, Q, Jack Wade, Nigel Small Fawcett, Algernon, Smithers, Tanner and then Michael Kitchen can play Tanner's retired uncle and Samantha Bond and Caroline Bliss reappear as Bambi and Thumper style martial art master grandmas in a Kincaidian nod to their past roles.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Tobias Menzies back then played a rather deskbound sensitive secretary who hasn't seen any action in the field, which was Villiers. However, watching the same actor play a rather authoritarian and no-nonsense spymaster in The Night Manager a year ago made me see him differently. What if Villiers has now become that type of a person if they were to bring him back? Perhaps he left MI-6 for a job in the Whitehall, thus by now becoming a big shot and calling the tunes. Albeit not in the way of villainy, per se.

Here, you could see that scared, inexperienced and wimpy posture on his face we know Villiers as:
    menziesvilliers.jpg

And here, we have him ten years later as the head of MI-6 in The Night Manager who's calling the shots with apparent vicious spin on things, being an incorrigible snob with a jumped-up mannerism as he gained experience throughout the years, having seen things and been in the field, etc. I'd love to see Villiers with an evolved persona just like that:
    9ad127b42a57d8668fa47c25b4947e9b.jpg
    1519ed368380e36c9ced93ad50c00931.jpg

An experienced man who knows his way around politics, diplomacy and espionage, who no longer is wimpy, but toughened up by a long margin.
    Tobias Menzies back then played a rather deskbound sensitive secretary who hasn't seen any action in the field, which was Villiers. However, watching the same actor play a rather authoritarian and no-nonsense spymaster in The Night Manager a year ago made me see him differently. What if Villiers has now become that type of a person if they were to bring him back? Perhaps he left MI-6 for a job in the Whitehall, thus by now becoming a big shot and calling the tunes. Albeit not in the way of villainy, per se.

Here, you could see that scared, inexperienced and wimpy posture on his face we know Villiers as:
    menziesvilliers.jpg

And here, we have him ten years later as the head of MI-6 in The Night Manager who's calling the shots with apparent vicious spin on things, being an incorrigible snob with a jumped-up mannerism as he gained experience throughout the years, having seen things and been in the field, etc. I'd love to see Villiers with an evolved persona just like that:

An experienced man who knows his way around politics, diplomacy and espionage, who no longer is wimpy, but toughened up by a long margin.

He could be a future M, much in the same way I like to to think of Robert Brown's M being the same Admiral Hargreaves in the TSWLM.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Re the stuff/rumours re Musk, we do know that he is a massive Bond fan. I wonder if access to his production plants, launch pads etc could provide for both a big, expansive Bond movie plus the ultimate in product pacement?
    There’s no possibility in hell Bond would go sci-fi in the Craig tenure. The era is so grounded you can hardly mention a nuclear missile in it, let alone getting space shuttles and Elon Musk involved. It’s bollocks. Can’t believe this “story” has been taken seriously. I thought we’d laugh it out in half a page and move on after shrugging it off.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    patb wrote: »
    Re the stuff/rumours re Musk, we do know that he is a massive Bond fan. I wonder if access to his production plants, launch pads etc could provide for both a big, expansive Bond movie plus the ultimate in product pacement?

I wouldn't think too much in to that "insider" story these things very rarely hold any weight. The rumour also go against what the writers Purvis and Wade said last year after it was revealed they were penning Bond 25 about "making Bond films like that are thing of the past". I suspect a gritty grounded revenge thriller. Also suspect they may leave it with a "is Bond alive or is he dead" similar to end of Dark Knight trilogy or Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes going over the waterfall with Moriaty.

I wouldn't think too much in to that "insider" story these things very rarely hold any weight. The rumour also go against what the writers Purvis and Wade said last year after it was revealed they were penning Bond 25 about "making Bond films like that are thing of the past". I suspect a gritty grounded revenge thriller. Also suspect they may leave it with a "is Bond alive or is he dead" similar to end of Dark Knight trilogy or Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes going over the waterfall with Moriaty.

Or to some extent Fleming's YOLT.
    There’s no possibility in hell Bond would go sci-fi in the Craig tenure. The era is so grounded you can hardly mention a nuclear missile in it, let alone getting space shuttles and Elon Musk involved. It’s bollocks. Can’t believe this “story” has been taken seriously. I thought we’d laugh it out in half a page and move on after shrugging it off.

How would you react if something like....this....actually becomes true then dear @ClarkDevlin :-)?
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13322/realistic-serious-story-ideas-for-bond-25-to-be-used-by-eon-productions-ltd/p1 or,
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment-update-aston-martin-now-a-formula-1-team/p1
    Dennison wrote: »

Or to some extent Fleming's YOLT.

Yes my good man. My ignorance Fleming did it first in the book

How would you react if something like....this....actually becomes true then dear @ClarkDevlin :-)?
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13322/realistic-serious-story-ideas-for-bond-25-to-be-used-by-eon-productions-ltd/p1 or,
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17687/james-bond-007-in-murder-on-wheels-a-story-treatment-update-aston-martin-now-a-formula-1-team/p1
    I’d be overwhelmed, @Gustav_Graves, since that is my kind of a Bond film. But, I can’t see that happening in the Craig era. Wishful thinking, but highly improbable.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138
    You know I am gutted Dan Brown came up with concept first of a story around the Large Hadron Collidor. Spectre taking scientists and stealing an element to weaponise it would have made a great Bond plot.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    You know I am gutted Dan Brown came up with concept first of a story around the Large Hadron Collidor. Spectre taking scientists and stealing an element to weaponise it would have made a great Bond plot.
    While not in a Bond film, we had a similar plot to that in the 2010 video game, Blood Stone, which starred Craig as 007.

I’d be overwhelmed, @Gustav_Graves, since that is my kind of a Bond film. But, I can’t see that happening in the Craig era. Wishful thinking, but highly improbable.

Never say never. I was one of the first persons in here who predicted a potential return of Blofeld (already back in 2011). It was a bit of a......big wish for me. And although it was executed in a rather OK-ish/mediocre way, the prediction came true.

So why can't these 'new' predictions not become reality ;-)? Never say never @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps we do get an Elon Musk type of villain. Perhaps Bond will really be put to the test in a car GTA racing track. Perhaps we do get a bit more nuclear weapons and atomic drones anyway :-). Be hopeful, be positive, and then your desire might actually become reality ;-).
    While not in a Bond film, we had a similar plot to that in the 2010 video game, Blood Stone, which started Craig as 007.

I forgot about that. Great concept. Bad miss for films not to have had that concept written and trademarked for future use. Goldeneye-eque.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Dennison wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Tanner is the author of all of Bond's pain.

With a bottle of Heinneken!

Bond drank beer in many of Flemings novels?

menziesvilliers.jpg

Wow! He does look bad ass now. Give him a comma of hair over the right eyebrow and that second shot of him almost reminds me of the Fleming commissioned illustration of Bond. I really should watch The Night Manager at some point.
    Rory Kinnear unsure? Perhaps that makes Jeffrey Wright more sure. I sincerely hope so :-D. I'm a bit done with Kinnear. His role felt very......replacable anyway.

+1.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138
    If Waltz returns for Bond 25 what do you choose happens:

A. Escape during transport to the CIA where they intend to give him the death penalty. (But you risk repeating what Nolan did with Bane)

B. Steal the concept for how Lector escapes in Silence of the Lambs by taking the face off a prison guard and pretending to be the injured guard.

C. Spectre have a company who hold private contracts with the prison, the staff simply facilitate his escape.

D. leave him behind bars orchestrating what is happening.

Quote with your choice and comment. Or add your own.
    C.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Here in lies B25's central issue for me. Say what you want about QOS or SF but at the end of those the scriptwriters had anywhere to go - and they delivered SF and SP respectively.These same writers are now hemmed in with a villain and ongoing continuity (one that up until they delivered SP they could have veered away from if they wished.) so they will be even more restricted in their creativity. They have a bunch of moving parts from the last film to deal with - Blofeld, Swan, Bond 'leaving' Mi6 that they have to marry into the main plot.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Never say never. I was one of the first persons in here who predicted a potential return of Blofeld (already back in 2011). It was a bit of a......big wish for me. And although it was executed in a rather OK-ish/mediocre way, the prediction came true.

So why can't these 'new' predictions not become reality ;-)? Never say never @ClarkDevlin. Perhaps we do get an Elon Musk type of villain. Perhaps Bond will really be put to the test in a car GTA racing track. Perhaps we do get a bit more nuclear weapons and atomic drones anyway :-). Be hopeful, be positive, and then your desire might actually become reality ;-).
    I don't see it happening in the Craig era either. It's too extravagant a concept to fit into his portrayal and style. They have created a certain narrative and character over four films. With one left to go (unless we want him in this role in his mid 50s like Sir Rog), it's best if they just continue with their current direction and close him out.

Go back to extravagant once he's done.
    Hopefully Tanner will return? But they dropped Leiter easily enough so who knows? You need to be asked first so lets wait and see?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No more Rory? Liverpool winning 7-0 (and clown Karius keeping a clean sheet into the bargain)?

I'm definitely going to buy a lottery ticket this week. Either that or I'll wake up from this ultimate wet dream in a minute.

One thing that did amuse me from that otherwise clickbait article with zero factual content is the notion that he guy is 39!! He looks like he's north of 50.

Dan has got 10 years on him but it looks the other way round.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How long will the gap between B25 and B26 be, do we think?
    It won't be that long. The next era will have everything fixed.
    Yep..they will up their game with a new Bond hopefully..