No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

DCisared wrote: »

Love the part where she says bond will marry in b25!

Haha, Bond will get an underwater car before he marries!

Wait a minute...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Relax Gustav... Babs grew up doing this, with the very best mentors-- especially her father; they roll with the punches, accept failure (as is bound to happen in sixty years), learn from mistakes, and, like James Bond, resurrect,

I'm willing to guess that Babs knows so much more about filmmaking, B25, the pitfalls and the goals, global acceptance, and more, so much more, than the entire Mi6- Hq community combined.

No matter what, Bond, like diamonds, are forever. Babs knows that more than anyone.
  • //No matter what, Bond, like diamonds, are forever. Babs knows that more than anyone.//

To use an American baseball comparison, Babs was born on third base. That doesn't mean she hit a triple.

Her father experienced actual failure (The Trials of Oscar Wilde, being banished from the MGM lot, etc.), to the point of sharing a cheap hotel room with a rat. Barbara Broccoli *never* experienced the same level of desperation, gloom, etc. that her father did.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DCisared wrote: »

Love the part where she says bond will marry in b25!

Haha, Bond will get an underwater car before he marries!

Wait a minute...
    What about an invisible car?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    TIFF 2017: How Daniel Craig landed his role in the new film Kings
    https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/awards-and-festivals/tiff/tiff-2017-how-daniel-craig-landed-his-role-in-the-new-film-kings/article36227816/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Craig recently announced that he'll be back in 2019 for a fifth and final turn as the superspy (working title: Bond 25). He has some things he wants to finish with 007. "But I'm not going to tell you what they are," he says, laughing evilly. "That would give it away."

He insists his reported reluctance to return to the role has been exaggerated: "The Internet is like a noisy pub on a Saturday night. Ninety per cent of what's being said is rubbish. There's a perception that I'm ungrateful, and that's so far from the truth it's laughable. I don't talk to the press a lot. I say things occasionally that I shouldn't say, which is stupid of me. But the timing was right. I'd done Othello, and Steven Soderbergh's movie [Logan Lucky, where he plays a bleached-blond safecracker named Joe Bang], and Deniz's movie, and I was incredibly creatively satisfied. The question of Bond came round, and I said, 'Let's have another go, and see if we can produce something wonderful.'"

Rings true. He'd never left the role mentally. If he had he'd have made it public a long time ago. He was just haunted by the slash the wrists line and probably burnt slightly if the creative issues with Mendes are true.
    peter wrote: »
    Relax Gustav... Babs grew up doing this, with the very best mentors-- especially her father; they roll with the punches, accept failure (as is bound to happen in sixty years), learn from mistakes, and, like James Bond, resurrect,
    Do they roll with the punches? Yes. Do they accept failure? It seems so. Do they learn from mistakes? Absolutely NOT, which is why I'm hoping the Broccoli family won't be involved with the Bond franchise after Bond 25.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Since we all know so much about making films, especially a globally-accepted franchise as Bond, perhaps we should start our own film companies and get cracking, eh?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Since we all know so much about making films, especially a globally-accepted franchise as Bond, perhaps we should start our own film companies and get cracking, eh?
    On the internet, everybody is some sort of a know-it-all. ;)

How do you know we ain't already?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    It's obvious that a LARGE percentage of people regularly posting here would be better at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli & co. are. I'm NOT being ironic. Barbara Broccoli would NEVER be producing movies the size of Bond if she weren't the daughter of Albert R. Broccoli.
    It's obvious that a LARGE percenatge of people regularly posting here would be better at producing Bond movies than Barabra Broccoli & co. are. I'm NOT being ironic.

To be fair 'Barabra' Broccoli hasn't produced any films.
    Not sure if this has been openly discussed but I have worked with "family run businesses" of all sizes and, lets be honest, one of the big drawbacks is that people reach positions of responsibility and status with no basis on merit. Large family run businesses are pretty rare and IMHO, its because more effective businesses take over as they have better people making the key decisions.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's obvious that a LARGE percentage of people regularly posting here would be better at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli & co. are. I'm NOT being ironic. Barbara Broccoli would NEVER be producing movies the size of Bond if she weren't the daughter of Albert R. Broccoli.

Can't agree with that. The fact she is Cubby's daughter and was brought up within the industry and therefore had good schooling makes her 100% more qualified to produce movies than even the most switched on forum member.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I find it telling that I've read more recently about her hands on involvement in the Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool production than anything on recent Bond films.

She also spoke about the characters in that film (based on a true story) more passionately than she's ever spoken about Bond. She has other interests beyond Bond. Cubby was more Bond focused imho.

I'd like to see more of a hands on approach by her for the next one (and less for Craig) quite frankly. B25 will be his last, and she should get more hands on in order to prepare for succession.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,600
    "The fact she is Cubby's daughter and was brought up within the industry and therefore had good schooling makes her 100% more qualified to produce movies than even the most switched on forum member. "

On that basis, we just bring up our kids within the idustry that their parents work in and they become 100% qualified. If only HR could use this method rather then spend millions trying to find decent staff.

Her experience/back ground gives her insight. But that does not equate to "100% qualified"

• edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031
    patb wrote: »
    "The fact she is Cubby's daughter and was brought up within the industry and therefore had good schooling makes her 100% more qualified to produce movies than even the most switched on forum member. "

On that basis, we just bring up our kids within the idustry that their parents work in and they become 100% qualified. If only HR could use this method rather then spend millions trying to find decent staff.

Her experience/back ground gives her insight. But that does not equate to "100% qualified"

Vitriol - just exactly why I came over to the Bond 25 thread.

Barbara Broccoli is awesome, no need for all this ranting and raving. The level of negativity on this forum is oustanding, all of you go and play on a video game or something and chill out.
    Dennison wrote: »

Barbara Broccoli is awesome, no need for all this ranting and raving. The level of negativity on this forum is oustanding, all of you go and play on a video game or something and chill out.

Charming !

barryt007 wrote: »

Charming !

uh?
    NicNac wrote: »

Can't agree with that. The fact she is Cubby's daughter and was brought up within the industry and therefore had good schooling makes her 100% more qualified to produce movies than even the most switched on forum member.

I 100% agree with you. On LTK Barbara (at just 27/28) was tasked with coordinating the very complex tanker chase and she did it superbly - she really earned respect and proved her worth. She's a very intelligent lady, and she can be tough when it is required, but she is also very charming and good humoured. Some folk on this forum underestimate her and also do not seem to comprehend how much experience and leadership are needed to produce films on the scale of Bond. It's an immensely demanding job. Whatever one might think of the films she's produced, the fact remains that under her control (with MGW) the Bond films (after over 50 years) have continued to draw huge audiences world-wide, massive media interest, and make big bucks - that is no mean feat.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I 100% agree with you. On LTK Barbara (at just 27/28) was tasked with coordinating the very complex tanker chase and she did it superbly - she really earned respect and proved her worth. She's a very intelligent lady, and she can be tough when it is required, but she is also very charming and good humoured. Some folk on this forum underestimate her and also do not seem to comprehend how much experience and leadership are needed to produce films on the scale of Bond. It's an immensely demanding job. Whatever one might think of the films she's produced, the fact remains that under her control (with MGW) the Bond films (after over 50 years) have continued to draw huge audiences world-wide, massive media interest, and make big bucks - that is no mean feat.

Agree also. She's a fine producer.

Blimey, @Dennison -- you agree with me!!! Lol

• edited September 2017 Posts: 1,031

Blimey, @Dennison -- you agree with me!!! Lol

Have I disagreed with you in the past?
    Barbara Broccoli is awesome,
    You clearly haven't read the leaked Spectre-related Sony e-mails. BB is surprisingly incompetent, it's a miracle that CR and SF are as great as they are.
    You clearly haven't read the leaked Spectre-related Sony e-mails. BB is surprisingly incompetent, it's a miracle that CR and SF are as great as they are.

What in the leaks (which I've never read) leads you to this statement?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,571

Once again I was simply answering the following - " It's obvious that a LARGE percentage of people regularly posting here would be better at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli & co. ".
    So, that suggests 51% or more of forum members here would be better at producing Bond movies than BB or MW.
    All I said was that she grew up in the industry and learnt from the best. Which makes her better equipped than the unnamed 51% at producing Bond movies. I will stand by my own use of a percentage.

I've read them all.

What in the leaks (which I've never read) leads you to this statement?

12 MAY 2014: "It's a mess." - Sony Pictures EVP Elizabeth Cantillon on the script
    16 JUNE 2014: "2nd Unit – start Austria in December; Main Unit – starts in UK for 2 weeks, and then hiatus, and then Austria in January; Rough plan would have main unit going to Rome, with 2nd Unit following. Main unit back to UK for interiors; Main unit to Tangiers and other location (what WAS diamond mines – may have changed). Wrap photography end of June for a 20 week post production." - Peter Oillataguerre (Exec VP at MGM)
    04 JULY 2014: "There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal
    14 JULY 2014: "I'm really worried." - Sam Mendes to Amy Pascal

These are just a few snippets. From these e-mails it's clear as day that in the summer of 2014, one and a half years after the peremiere of Skyfall they still didn't have a script that was anywhere near finished/acceptable. Not only that, but at the same time they were already making arrangements related to filming. No competent producer would have allowed this mess to happen.
    BB grew up with Bond and she then worked her way up from a production assistant (runner) and then 3rd AD to Associate Producer and finally Producer. She not only worked closely with her father but also with the marvellous and hugely experienced Tom Pevsner and his brilliant Production Manager Iris Rose, so Barbara became deeply grounded in production and obviously gained a lot of experience, but she also got heavily involved with casting - which I suspect gave her the confidence to chase Craig when no one (or few) could see his potential like she did. I honestly can't think of a person better qualified to be doing the job.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    I love the fact Barbara is always on the receiving end of the nepotism argument, yet MGW gets a free pass. It's the usual blatant sexism from @PanchitoPistoles. Do let us know when your blockbuster is on the way, won't you?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    --
    04 JULY 2014: "There is something wrong with this movie. It doesn't want to come together" - Amy Pascal
    --

Understatement. However she called it imho. Pity she's not involved any more.