The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• The Moore punches, especially in his later outings, were absolutly hilarious. Close-up of Moore preparing to throw his punch, cut to wide shot of the stuntman punching with added sound effect from Moore, cut back to Moore making a funny face.
    The fella stole a living!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't know if this thread is cathartic or just mean lol.

I recanted on my Dalton bashing... not so much on Glen though. He really seriously thinks Craig and SF and/or QS are just ersatz versions of LTK =))
    John Glen was a VERY mediocre director, a slew of mediocre to bad directors during that time. Compare his films to the Spielberg and Cameron pictures at that time, and his films are comparatively embarrassing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always regarded J Glen as a workman like director
    He got the job done, but without much flare or panache.
  • John Glen was a VERY mediocre director, a slew of mediocre to bad directors during that time. Compare his films to the Spielberg and Cameron pictures at that time, and his films are comparatively embarrassing.

Oh definitely, very formulaic, startled monkeys, cats, dogs and double taking pigeons were the order of the day as well as screaming men falling from heights. That said, the animals were probably better actors than Rog
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    John Glen was a VERY mediocre director, a slew of mediocre to bad directors during that time. Compare his films to the Spielberg and Cameron pictures at that time, and his films are comparatively embarrassing.
    Yes, I like every movie by Spielberg or Cameron better than ANY Glen movie.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Especially the ones with Rog in them - they were awful!
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote: »

Especially the ones with Rog in them - they were awful!
    Titanic was way better than License To Kill.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I found 'War Horse' to be much more boring than any of the Glen Bond films.
    I found 'War Horse' to be much more boring than any of the Glen Bond films.
    You mean 'more better' right? This is a negativity thread after all.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @chrisisall That was a negative, only not towards the Bond films :P
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,691
    @chrisisall That was a negative, only not towards the Bond films :P
    But it's specifically about negativity towards Bond actor/movies (real or faked).

So with cinema changing right in front of their eyes, EON relied on simply the brand name and a passé director like Glen instead of moving forward with younger, hipper more dynamic directors.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Also the budget didn't really increase from Moonraker.
    So with cinema changing right in front of their eyes, EON relied on simply the brand name and a passé director like Glen instead of moving forward with younger, hipper more dynamic directors.
    Yeah, when Glen was making garbage like LTK, Spielberg was giving us immortal classics like "Always".

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ok here we go worst to best directors.. Glen ..easily, Hamilton for not even trying after midway through GF, ......Apted really? He should have done better ..producers wanted more to elevate Bond in quality but umm nope didn't work ..Roger Spottiswood eh good enough but couldn't control a set apparently. Lewis Gilbert way OTT but gave us some iconic films and believed what he was doing... Foster ..okay switch with Gilbert don't feel like retyping but he believed what he was doing too ..just few others did... his first film of that type..he tried and got to do his style ..ok back to Gilbert ..NOW um Campbell Bond's best journeyman director gave us one if the worst GE and one of the best CR. Mendes Bond's most artistic director ..like Foster new type if film for him but he did well. And my top. Terence Young the quintessential action director ..yes sloppy and no Mendes but he created and gave us the movie version if Bond that the world first loved.

%&$# I left out Hunt!! Umm stick in between Gilbert and Campbell.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    Yeah, don't agree about campbell, he, Mendes and Terence Young for me. Keep the rest, even Guy Hamilton. GF yes, the others diabolical.

chrisisall said:

Yeah, when Glen was making garbage like LTK, Spielberg was giving us immortal classics like "Always".

As you know, Spielberg was doing other stuff than that, mate. As was Cameron. LTK has its moments, as does TLD, but no way are those films in the discussion as blockbuster films for that decade.

As you know, Spielberg was doing other stuff than that, mate. As was Cameron. LTK has its moments, as does TLD, but no way are those films in the discussion as blockbuster films for that decade.
    The Eighties? Hell, "The Color Purple" was more exciting than LTK.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    =)) You are killing me, @chrisisall.
    As was Miami Vice.
    =)) You are killing me, @chrisisall.
    You liked TLD right? I'll tell ya, me & my friends made more in allowance that decade than that flop made at the box office.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Drifting off topic here folks.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Except for the fighting. Not one memorable fight from the Dalton.

I think the fight between Bond and Necros was memorable. But I don't think there is all that much similarity between Dalton's Bond and what we've seen in the last 3 films. The current take on the character lacks charm, experience, intelligence, Bond's taste for the finest that life has to offer; he's too blue collar.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Benny wrote: »
    Drifting off topic here folks.

It's become a joke more or less.

edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Ok, we need to rein in and calm down. Amusing as that was.
    What are some things I genuinely dislike in Bond films?

All of Stacey Sutton.

Corrine in MR's entire death scene. Oh run, run, fall down (just because that is what happens to pretty girls in so many, many films). Stupid and upsetting death.

The entire group of schoolgirls trying to perform vicious martial arts in TMWTGG.
    Oh heck, I guess more than 85% of TMWTGG goes in my "truly dislike" column.
    Including Lulu's annoying title song.
  • I really don't see why this thread is necessery at all. Why not re-name the thread: "All of us who hates Rog, Timmy and John G" since that's all you guys are talking about.
    We need room for the small section of hate/discontent with other Bond films. Some people do have specific dislikes.

Though it seems the Roger, Dalton, John Glen bashing has currently overtaken the Brosnan bashing ... which may be a first on this forum.
  • I don't like Broz's ridiculous x ray glasses

I think the fight between Bond and Necros was memorable. But I don't think there is all that much similarity between Dalton's Bond and what we've seen in the last 3 films. The current take on the character lacks charm, experience, intelligence, Bond's taste for the finest that life has to offer; he's too blue collar.

Drifting back to negativity, what I hated about that fight was that Dalt did not do the shoelace cut in one swipe. It gave time for Necros to reach out to the net, which he did not.

Exxcccuuussse me, but the fight on the rooftop vs 2 Chinese agents in LTK is short but action-packed, a very good, realistic fight which Bond lost.