Things We've Learned from…..Spectre

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    104) Drinking Heinekin while on the job at MI6 is ok.

This doesn't make much sense to be honest... Firstly, Bond was not on a job at the moment he drank Heineken. Secondly, why would it be such a crime to have a drink ones in a while? Assignments have certainly not stopped Bond from Heavy drinking in the past... I am not sure what your point is?

Bond shares a drink with M(in her office) in 'Goldeneye' and 'TWINE'. If the main point of your job description is killing people having a drink at work seems immaterial.

RC7 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @AstonLotus, I've let it be known many times that I'm not the biggest fan of SF, but for #106, I will say that we see the mysterious woman's hand pull Bond out of the water. I believe she's part of the title credits, before the hand turns huge and we get Adele's song really kicking in. But yes, I always thought it was insinuated that she dragged him out of the water.

Well the hand appears to drag him down. It's all a bit ambiguous, as it is in other parts.

Many ways to view it, not the least of which is that the symbolism of having a strong woman boss order another woman to take at shot at you and she hits you. As you sink into the depths you might think someone is messing with you.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    103) All double O agents besides Bond are apparently on leave during the events of this film.

They are laying low their names are on a HD in the hands of an enemy threatning to expose them. Its the plot of the movie. Most end up dead.

What someone says is right it's out of office hours and because of what happened that day they can't go home, Tanner clearly shaken by the events decides he needs a beer, plus sponsors pay for a chunk of the production and Heinekin being a partner it was a good time to use it.

105) After being shot with a depleted uranium bullet, it is perfectly plausible to check your cuffs.

Scientifically it has been proven depleted uranium would have caused Bond to die within minutes however, Bond did not take a direct shot, but a ricochett off the JCB bucket arm and the scharpnell lodge just under the skin.

106) Bond can survive drowning without any explanation whatsoever.

I don't get this one, its underwater fight he manages to deafeat the guy and get back to the surface without drowing. After he kills the guy you can seen a scene with Bond swimming back towards the light of the hole in the ice.

107) Critics will call a Bond movie the best in the series as long as its released on the franchises 50th anniversary year.

Of course they will the media got nostaligic with it being Bond at 50. However the theme of the movie is very British and sense of Bond coming home and the press/critics lapped it up

108) Train drivers will not bother to stop the train they are driving if one of the carriages gets mangled by an onboard bulldozer.

To be fair the train is one hell of a length and its one of carriages at the very back which is damaged the driver would likely be unaware it was damaged. It is Istabul and its an old train. Not likely fitting with anything within the carriages to warn the driver.

109) You can get your Boss killed and be immediately given another assignment when you are a double O agent for MI6.

Bond did not get his boss killed, Bond is trying to stop M being killed. M takes a shrapnel shot was unforseeable. Bonds plan is actually very good the way M dies was unforseeable to Bond. But Bond did lead Silva out in to the open and did kill him in the end, Silva after all was a risk to MI6, I am pretty sure if you take out a guy like that you get another mission or two. And its clear from the tribunaral scenes Mallory is impressed with Bond's abillity to assess the situation and make his enviroment work for him by shooting the fire extinguishers to create a diversion. And Mallory is impressed with Bonds plan to take Silva out in to the open and with leaving the breadcrumb trail. I think its clear in the movie Bond and Mallory begin to respect each other which ultimately leads Mallory to take up the position of head of MI6 which after all was a step down from the job he was doing as head of the intelligence committe because he knows that Bond and he can do more together.

This doesn't make much sense to be honest... Firstly, Bond was not on a job at the moment he drank Heineken. Secondly, why would it be such a crime to have a drink ones in a while? Assignments have certainly not stopped Bond from Heavy drinking in the past... I am not sure what your point is?

He means Tanner, while at MI6, not Bond.

Tanner had a long and stressful day. I think we can forgive him for one brew on the company's time.

I don't think @AstonLotus is criticising it. We've all done drinks after 6, I assume?

I know. I was just trying to be funny.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,450
    The above inspyred me for 112, 113 and 114.

112: Bond wil not make same mistake in trusting Q for a third time. Bond trust Q to soon after the first accident with Silva. 113: It was team work (M her self, Tanner, Bond, Q and Malory) who led to M her death. 114: All those people are white people/it was not black person who was resposible.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Tanner had a long and stressful day. I think we can forgive him for one brew on the company's time.

Can't forgive him for drinking a Heineken :/

mcdonbb wrote: »

It could've been worse. He could've been drinking Rolling Rock.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mcdonbb wrote: »

It could've been worse. He could've been drinking Rolling Rock.

Or even Stella Artois *starts running for cover from @Darth...*
    Time, methinks, to change movies. So, here are "Things we've learned from Spectre :

1) I see Moriarty is up to his usual tricks.

2) Which makes his death kinda karmic, don't you think ?

3) Somebody thought that it ws a good idea to use gags that wouldn't have been out of place in a Moore Bond. That somebody was wrong.

4) Moneypenny has a gentleman friend. And good taste in lingerie.

Your turn, Ladies and Gentlemen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Things we've learned from SP (cont'd)

5) Silva isn't a clairvoyant after all

6) psycho babble (daddy and mommy issues) continues to be an obsession of Mendes

7) 009 has poor taste in music

8) James Bond is a bloody good shot (much better than in SF anyway)

9) drills in your brain can have only momentary effects (don't try this at home though)

10) funerals are a good place to pick up older women (as opposed to weddings for the younger ones)

11) there's usually a plane lying around when you need one

12) So that's what C stands for...

13) Craig Bond still likes to smash straight through drywall

14) I may be going colour blind. I only see yellow these days

15) Bond's got a better barber this time, but his tailor is still cutting those suits a little close for comfort

16) Shagging Craig's Bond doesn't necessarily result in a death sentence

17) Supervillains still haven't figured out after all these years that you've got to confiscate Bond's watch

18) Spectre meetings with Blofeld around continue to be dangerous to one's health

19) Despite yelling 'ow' last time, Bond forgot that Q Branch insertions into his arm are normally tracking devices

20) I miss Judi Dench
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 154
    learned from SF:

1. Being an alcoholic, drug-addicted MI6 agent who has just gone AWOL, is insubordinate and rude, has broken into an embassy and assaulted its staff, has failed all three of the only missions assigned to him, has failed all his recent fitness tests, and who has twice broken into the home of the head MI6 and twice hacked into her MI6 computer accounts, won't get you tried for treason, court-martialed or even fired but, instead, will get you assigned as the only agent on a new mission with the highest possible stakes for MI6, NATO, people's lives and the security of the western world.

2. On the course of said new mission, you can quasi-rape someone, then basically kidnap the same head of MI6, get her killed, fail your mission yet again, and still be assigned another mission.

3. It is impossible get fired from MI6, which offers the best job security in the world. Can I have an employment application?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    21) Couches always remain untouched when buildings fall on them.
    22) People observing the Day of the Dead festival in Mexico are ignorant to the helicopter antics right above their heads.
    23) Bond doesn't seem to care how his flat looks.
    24) MI6 trackers hurt quite a bit more these days. In 2006, it was a simple deadpan "Ow."
    25) Despite being nowhere near the DB5 in Skyfall, Q told Bond to bring it back in one piece.
    26) Q feels the need for far too much security. M gets one woman behind a desk outside his office, Q's got two guys in every corner before you get to his lab.
    27) Q can fool SPECTRE henchmen far too easily.
    28) Either Skyfall and SPECTRE are set within weeks of one another, or MI6 took a few months giving Bond his personal effects from the ruins of the Skyfall.
    29) Nobody cared enough about Dominic Greene to mention him by name, despite his actually being a member of Quantum. Le Chiffre was a private contractor hired by Quantum, but everybody remembers his name.
    30) C is too stupid to realize when his gun weighs much less than it would if there were bullets in it.
    31) Bomb explodes right in Blofeld's face, he suffers only a scar.
    Dear moderator, could you please update the title of this topic ? Thanks by advance.
    Nobody is out in the streets of Rome late at night.

Nobody uses public transport in Morocco

They must have microwave food on the Moroccan trains no kitchen staff the be seen anywhere.

When a major network goes online these days we do no longer need any staff to supervise it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    36 Topolino is Italian for James Bond.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 154
    30) C is too stupid to realize when his gun weighs much less than it would if there were bullets in it.

Ha! I thought the exact same thing about Dryden during the PTS of CR!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think a big part of the character of and reason for C involves the fact that he doesn't have a lot of gun experience.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't have too much gun experience either, but I can still tell the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun.
    37) The writers have read Colonel Sun. So have I.

38) Nice Chekov's Net.
    39 Bond is not a Frank Sinatra fan.
    40. Nor a Liza Minnelli fan either.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 269
    41. Bond was actually not ready to get back to work, and needed to take some overdue holiday.
    42. Killing people does not look good on a form
    43. Bond did not only forgive Vesper and himself, but White as well, which is pretty cool from him.
    44. Rome has strange parking places.
    45. Tangier at night is the quietest big city in Africa I've ever seen.
    46. We still don't know for whom this mouse was working for.
    47. It remains unclear whether Bond and Madeleine will have all the time in the world.

and finally : 48 : Sam Smith's song is about Bond's relationship with couches and nets : "If I risk it all, would you break my fall"
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    49. The Maroccan railways stop at any old ruin in the desert
    50. We'll never know where Sciara and the pilot of that helicopter landed. Falling down on that square with so many bystanders....
    51. Bond is quite adept at flying Bo105's.
    52. When fighting onboard a helicopter, there's always time to steal your opponent's ring
    53. Q has a DNA scanner in his field kit
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,822
    54 ) A psychologist knows more about gun safety than a trained former SAS trooper / secret agent.

55) Somebody has read Marcel Proust.

56) Or is a big fan of the Monty Python.
    Ytterbium wrote: »
    Sam Smith's song is about Bond's relationship with couches and nets : "If I risk it all, would you break my fall"

Good catch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ytterbium wrote: »
    Sam Smith's song is about Bond's relationship with couches and nets : "If I risk it all, would you break my fall"

Good catch.
    Ha ha.
  • 57. Sam Mendes hates helicopters and will do anything to bring down whatever that fly.

58. Being a secret agent doesn't pay so well, which forces Bond to to some stormtrooping on the side.
    60 Do wear socks, by all means. In any climate.
  • 60 Do wear socks, by all means. In any climate.
    well, some goggles of eyepatch would have been more appropriate to be on the safe side.

I can't understand this hatred towards Oberhauser's bare feets. Would you rather see him dressed as an old lady like Blofeld in DAF ?

Don't buy a house in Scotland!