Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Murdock wrote: »
    My goal wasn't to improve on it, Just recreate it as a dedicated fan. ;)

Cool! Well done!
    I want like forever to buy decent software (and hardware) to be able to make remixes of my favourite songs. Well...it's Christmas soon
    :)
    It's time to lock the thread, folks. It's RADIOHEAD. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No, it's not. Unless of course it is.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    andmcit wrote: »
    Crikey, imagine an eerie Bowie title song: such a voice that could really get goosebumps in a title sequence as impressively accomplished as SF's. Could be the ultimate definition of 'left field' and suddenly SP just got a whole lot better still. Cherry on the top would be a hint of OHMSS...

but hang on, this would be commercially useless for a chart entry surely?

Of course, it's TinaT again

It might sound something like this:

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I really hope it's not, mostly because of your posting ITT.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 5,745
    I am completely open to David Bowie doing it.

Beyonce has been the lead of a few films.

Eminem (I am also okay with this, which is probably very controversial)

(The following are from a list of artists in movies from IMDB)
    Iggy Pop
    Ludacris
    P. Diddy
    Meat Loaf
    Jennifer Lopez
    Prince

And remember.. these rap artists may be producing / mixing a song with another artist, as that is a popular rumor with Spectre's title song. The ones in bold I think are most likely.

I am still sold that it is the Arctic Monkeys. Confirmed to be in the same place as Paul Epworth months ago to record a theme. Hm...
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 725
    If it is primarily a singer who has also acted in some films it would almost have to be Timberlake or Beyonce. Neither of them have hit it big in films yet, but they are both pretty huge in music. EON could do a lot worse. I think Beyonce would cover a lot of bases and would be my pick between the two.

Just noted Jwestbrook's mention of Prince. He could work well too. I don't think Lopez has much musical talent, but I could see them using her for a song with a Latin edge given it follows the PTA in Mexico. EON has milked this for a long time, who ever gets the job better have come up with a great title song.
    I don't have much trust in BB and MGW. The last memorable song that could even be described as great, was The World Is Not Enough by Garbage.
    DAD and QOS got the worst ever Bond songs and the CR theme is somewhat forgettable.
    Skyfall as a song is the most overrated Bond song ever. It is nothing more than ok.

Radiohead sure are able to do a great song, but then, their best times are long gone.
    Sam Smith or Ellie Goulding are the flavour of the months, highly successful but still newcomers who could turn up to be one-hit wonders.

In my opinion Spectre needs a superstar to draw attention. And with superstar I mean someone that has been around at least since a decade and is still relevant. And someone that will not provide us with an experimental crap song like Madonna's or Alicia Keys's.

The last time that we got the perfect deal was in 1995 with Tina Turner's Goldeneye.

There are plenty of such artists around.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    smitty wrote: »
    If it is primarily a singer who has also acted in some films it would almost have to be Timberlake or Beyonce. Neither of them have hit it big in films yet, but they are both pretty huge in music. EON could do a lot worse. I think Beyonce would cover a lot of bases and would be my pick between the two.

Just noted Jwestbrook's mention of Prince. He could work well too. I don't think Lopez has much musical talent, but I could see them using her for a song with a Latin edge given it follows the PTA in Mexico. EON has milked this for a long time, who ever gets the job better have come up with a great title song.

That's the exact reason I suggested Shakira. Shes got a much more global appeal than Lopez
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Garbage's TWINE was certainly far from one of the best, it was dreary and unmemorable .

I'll take AWTD over that, as for best most recent it's still Cornell and Arnold's YKMN.

None of Craig's or Brosnan's touch the brilliance of the Barry tunes.

Bowie would be incredible but very unlikely.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Garbage's TWINE was certainly far from one of the best, it was dreary and unmemorable .

I'll take AWTD over that, as for best most recent it's still Cornell and Arnold's YKMN.

None of Craig's or Brosnan's touch the brilliance of the Barry tunes.

Bowie would be incredible but very unlikely.

The TWINE song is awful, as are Garbage. Arnold screwed that one up big time. But he did a good job with Surrender and YKMN. I agree that YKMN is the best since LTK.
    @Getafix

huh...tastes can be different...

I've never heard anyone say that TWINE and/or Garbage were awful ;)

Can't see where YKMN is better than Goldeneye for example, just unimaginable (for me).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    GE was good ...never understood why they didn't pick someone more current st the time ..like Bjork.

Still wish for Bjork..... =P~
    Björk is fantastic but she has gone too uncommercial and experimental since a couple of albums. Her latest though is just bloody great.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Björk is fantastic but she has gone too uncommercial and experimental since a couple of albums. Her latest though is just bloody great.

Totally agree ...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @Getafix

Can't see where YKMN is better than Goldeneye for example, just unimaginable (for me).

YKMN is probably my favourite song of all time, it just has a great kick-ass melody we haven't heard in a Bond film that suits Craig's Bond perfectly. Easily whisled.
    @Getafix

YKMN is probably my favourite song of all time, it just has a great kick-ass melody we haven't heard in a Bond film that suits Craig's Bond perfectly. Easily whisled.

I have to clarify something, I like YKMN as a song, I even bought Cornell's album.
    But as a James Bond Theme it doesn't work in my opinion. And if you listen to the "pop" version of YKMN (can be found on Cornell's album or YKMN EP) you'll see it was never really made for Bond. It was re-worked so it sounded more like a Bond theme.

I want a theme that from the first second on is clearly identifiable as a Bond theme.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    So do I.
    @Getafix

I have to clarify something, I like YKMN as a song, I even bought Cornell's album.
    But as a James Bond Theme it doesn't work in my opinion. And if you listen to the "pop" version of YKMN (can be found on Cornell's album or YKMN EP) you'll see it was never really made for Bond. It was re-worked so it sounded more like a Bond theme.

I want a theme that from the first second on is clearly identifiable as a Bond theme.

Totally disagree. YKMN is an excellent Bond song and perfect for introducing Craig.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I also like to judge a title song based on the 'oomph' it has with the rest of the film, and the reason I enjoy YKMN and AWTD so much is because they really pump me up and get me excited for the events to come. I hear YKMN and I think of the awesome parkour chase and the finale and as soon as AWTD concludes, we receive yet another intense foot chase and fight scene. They work with the rest of the movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agreed on both accounts.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually don't think AWTD is the abomination that others feel that it is. The somewhat disjointed structure matches where Bond is following the death of Vesper. I don't think the duet approach was successful an hurt the final song.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually don't think AWTD is the abomination that others feel that it is. The somewhat disjointed structure matches where Bond is following the death of Vesper. I don't think the duet approach was successful an hurt the final song.

I agree. I think Alicia Keys would have made a better song by herself

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2015 Posts: 7,526
    lefraik wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

I agree. I think Alicia Keys would have made a better song by herself

Agreed. I also like the lyrics of the song. I think I still prefer No Good About Goodbye (which definitely would have needed different visuals) though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The music alone, with no vocal is very cool.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I've never minded AWTD. I thought it worked well with the movie. The vocals could and should have been done differently, but I don't mind it. Not a classic but in context does its job
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The bad vocals, IMO, as well as the rest of the bad-ness associated with AWTD are all attributable to Jack White. IMO.
    Badness in a good way?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    AWTD is a bunch of noises IMO
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Walecs wrote: »
    AWTD is a bunch of noises IMO

Much like every song since the beginning of time: a bunch of noises.