Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Actually, thinking about it, the James Bond franchise would be the perfect franchise for him. I suppose the issues he had with Twilight were not only the films themselves but the schedule of constantly filming them.

At least with James Bond, he'll have about an average of 2-3 years (although that will include training and getting fit) to have a break, whereas the DCEU would probably have him be in more than just his own films I suppose.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited February 2019 Posts: 754
    I agree if he puts on some muscle and a few years, he could really look the part.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    I agree if he puts on some muscle and a few years, he could really look the part.

I can't comment on Twilight, but Good Time showed me he has grit and quiet intensity and, yes, empathy... If someone said he was a candidate as 007, I would be more than happy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I personally would like it if Aidan Turner became Bond more than any other actor. I think he is the perfect guy for the job, and have explained why I think this many times before. Out of anyone, I would be happiest if he was announced as the next 007.

However, I smell something fishy going on here. I believe some with a keen eye noticed that in Feb of 2016 that MGM was purportedly in negotiations with a Chinese company for the right to James Bond. That was right after the release of SP, but the plans fell through and were scrapped. Then they (MGM and EON) took their sweet time putting together a script for Bond 25. Let's conservatively estimate about 2 years. I think that in this time they were considering their options, and it was not 100 percent confirmed that Craig would be back. I believe that for a favour towards Barbara, Craig does come back, and tries to explain the break with "tiredness". So why have they taken so long, and even pushing back the start of production until some time in April? Well, it's possible that Bond could be a Swansong not just for Craig but for the franchise itself, atleast in its current form.

Think about it. MGM is looking to sell, and there are some reasons why they are due to be bought shortly, but that's too complicated to get into now. Barbara has stated many times that Craig is her Bond, (maybe true, but an opinion, and doesn't reflect the feelings of many fans) and she couldn't imagine doing the films with anyone. And I believe her, because I honestly don't think she has any interest in making the, light-hearted fun and frolics adventure films her father made for thirty years. That's not a criticism, but merely a statement. I think her Bond has to have that personal angle, and be more artsy let's say, in order for her to have the same investment. And it has worked well for one era, even if not to everyone's tastes. But is that to be the future of Bond forever, until Babs retires? I don't think it can be - the mid 2000's was the perfect time for a series to be taken in the direction that she wanted, but it's not that time anymore. So what is going to happen? Well, I believe EON are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table with Bond 25. I wouldn't be surprised if Craig did die in this one, and it would be the end of a 25 film saga. Or they could link it up to the beginning of Dr No and create symmertery that way. Whatever it is, they are planning something big and showy. And I think it might be the last Bond film we see from EON productions. Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think like after Bond 25 is released there will be a huge announcement that Bond will be sold to off, and Warner Bros. Like most likely be the buyer.

Think about it, explains why they currently have a one picture deal in place for distribution, right? And why they are taking so long to get this one right on a script level. It feels like the final hurdle to me, or the victory lap. I know how it sounds, but if you told me there would be new Star Wars movies with George Lucas involved ten years ago, I would have not believed you either. We're living in a different era. Bond is too significant, pop-culturally speaking, to remain independant. Everything is consolidating and merging together in the movie business, and I think it is inevitable that this effects Bond too. Babs probably would like to go out on her own terms, and give the franchise the "ending" she feels it deserves. I'm sure many would prefer that things stay with the Broccolis forever, but there is only Gregg to take over, and he would have to be the sole producer in another 15 - 20 years. I just can't see that, myself.

But the future is bright. if there is indeed a sale, I believe Warner Bros. Will be the most likely to snap up the rights, because they have Christopher Nolan waiting in the wings, who has stated many times he is interested in doing Bond films, and has even dreamt about were he would take he franchise if he ever had the chance. A little while back, one member remarked on the how each actor has delivered a different number of Bond films. Except a trilogy, that has never been done before. But with a studios like Warner's and a property like Bond, the sky is the limit. They could instantly greenlight a trilogy on day one and fast track it into pre-production. Something I will mention is that I feel like if Christopher Nolan does do a Bond film, which I feel is the most likely option in a post-Craig world, then the likelihood is that Aidan Turner will not become James Bond. This is mainly due to the fact that Nolan hires from a pool of actors which he has worked with before, and many are people with pre-established stars in Hollywood. For this reason, I believe (even if it not my wish) that Tom Hardy is the most likely actor to be cast as the next James Bond and take up the mantle from Craig.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Words defeat me.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Instant depression.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Possibly, in part, because my then teenage daughter made me endure the Twilight films, but I have a strong aversion to Pattinson. He was very good in Goblet of Fire, and I can see that with the right material he’s a fine actor but there’s something about his look that’s just off for Bond, something in the eyes.
    Of his generation, an actor who I once thought never had a chance , but now seems to be growing into his looks, is Nicholas Hoult.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Gents, it's finally available for us to watch. Turner has a big part next to Elliott. I'll be watching soon.

MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUxOTc3NTM@._V1_.jpg
    Hardy is cast tomorrow as bond number 7 I would be over the moon but sadly (or happily) I don’t hink it will happen
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    talos7 wrote: »
    Possibly, in part, because my then teenage daughter made me endure the Twilight films, but I have a strong aversion to Pattinson. He was very good in Goblet of Fire, and I can see that with the right material he’s a fine actor but there’s something about his look that’s just off for Bond, something in the eyes.
    Of his generation, an actor who I once thought never had a chance , but now seems to be growing into his looks, is Nicholas Hoult.

Can't remember in what I've seen Hault, but IIRC he does have quite a bit of acting talent. Would be at least interesting to see how he's developing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It'll be interesting Aaron-Taylor Johnson in the new Kingsman, as I've always thought he could be a good James Bond. Although, I am aware of people's dislking of his acting.
    Hoult was very good in The Favourite
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Armie Hammer would be a good choice for Bond, give him a few years though.
    Armie+Hammer+GQ+2.jpg
    (Actors learn other accents and languages for roles, so dont give me the "he's not british" rant.)

If anything he's possibly too tall, at 6'5".
    He does have a certain Bondian look, but as he's not British is clearly not suitable.
    :P

An actor who I think may be on the radar would be
    PANews_N0008031372241204738A_I1.jpg
    Nicholas Hoult
    He's still only 24, but beef him up, give him some time to mature a little more, and come Bond26 he might be ready to slip on the shoulder holster and dinner jacket?
    And he's British so wins alround.

Wow, my crystal ball in 2013 must've been working well. Certainly has potential...and for Bond 26.
    Hoult , definitely has potential.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Personally, I think Alexander Dreymon has the looks for Bond, but I suspect his British accent would let him down (he's German).

http://liverampup.com/uploads/celebrity/alexander-doetsch.jpg

Well that rules him out Automatically. None Brits need not apply.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Univex wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Menacing eyebrows nobody does it better than Jack Nicholson.

That's more like homicidal maniac's eyebrows.

tenor.gif?itemid=12945168

Lol

Jack's the man!

And where's the Batman.....

:)

Tom Hiddleston just looks like he's trying really hard to be cool. It's far from effortless with him - like say with Connery who had a natural insouciance. With Hiddleston it just feels laboured and comes across as unattractive. He just isn't a leading man.

A name that is getting a lot of chatter for Bruce Wayne (which is essentially the American James Bond) is Robert Pattinson.

A lot of people who only see tentpole films will only ever see him as the Twilight guy. But he's been building up a terrific body of work. He's become a great actor, and he's brooding and intense. He has similar facial features to Cavill (obviously not his build), so that should satisfy those fans.

Pattinson is the right age (early 30's) and fits the profile perfectly. I encourage everyone to watch Good Time - there was a good week where that was the only thing I spoke about.

OohdZqOI
    2016-01-06-diorhomme-094.jpg
    2016-01-06-diorhomme-080.jpg
    Robert-Pattinson-Dior-Homme-SS16-02.jpg
    Rob-home_0.jpg
    robert-pattinson-2016-dior-homme-photo-shoot4.jpg?w=684&h=1024

An intriguing choice, right in front of us... I’m interested to check out some of his movies

Except he has limited acting talent. Rather like a plank of wood. Hiddleston and Cavill are far more suitable candidates. Many criticise Cavill but he does have charisma and the looks. Hiddleston is a good cross between Moore and Craig.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Tom Hiddleston just looks like he's trying really hard to be cool. It's far from effortless with him - like say with Connery who had a natural insouciance. With Hiddleston it just feels laboured and comes across as unattractive. He just isn't a leading man.

A name that is getting a lot of chatter for Bruce Wayne (which is essentially the American James Bond) is Robert Pattinson.

A lot of people who only see tentpole films will only ever see him as the Twilight guy. But he's been building up a terrific body of work. He's become a great actor, and he's brooding and intense. He has similar facial features to Cavill (obviously not his build), so that should satisfy those fans.

Pattinson is the right age (early 30's) and fits the profile perfectly. I encourage everyone to watch Good Time - there was a good week where that was the only thing I spoke about.

OohdZqOI
    Rob-home_0.jpg

An intriguing choice, right in front of us... I’m interested to check out some of his movies
    Except he has limited acting talent. Rather like a plank of wood. Hiddleston and Cavill are far more suitable candidates. Many criticise Cavill but he does have charisma and the looks. Hiddleston is a good cross between Moore and Craig.
    +1. Very well said.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869

OohdZqOI
    Rob-home_0.jpg

Fair points, but I personally think Cavill would be out of the running just for being Superman, and Hiddleston is too controversial (TS, his speech) at this point to be cast, plus both choices are quite uninspired. I think whoever is cast will come from left-field and someone we won't expect, although with the internet nowadays who knows.
    28c23b29b528fa58128d8b81772c59ed.jpg

This guy would be perfect!

Nah, reminds me too much of The Riddler.

talos7 wrote: »

Nah, reminds me too much of The Riddler.

No he's the cold, silent type. Perfect for Bond. And he won't get old.
    Except he has limited acting talent. Rather like a plank of wood. Hiddleston and Cavill are far more suitable candidates.

You've got it backwards. Pattinson showed his range and talent quite well in films like Good Time, whereas Cavill is made entirely out of pine.

• edited June 2022 Posts: 693
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I personally would like it if Aidan Turner became Bond more than any other actor. I think he is the perfect guy for the job, and have explained why I think this many times before. Out of anyone, I would be happiest if he was announced as the next 007.

However, I smell something fishy going on here. I believe some with a keen eye noticed that in Feb of 2016 that MGM was purportedly in negotiations with a Chinese company for the right to James Bond. That was right after the release of SP, but the plans fell through and were scrapped. Then they (MGM and EON) took their sweet time putting together a script for Bond 25. Let's conservatively estimate about 2 years. I think that in this time they were considering their options, and it was not 100 percent confirmed that Craig would be back. I believe that for a favour towards Barbara, Craig does come back, and tries to explain the break with "tiredness". So why have they taken so long, and even pushing back the start of production until some time in April? Well, it's possible that Bond could be a Swansong not just for Craig but for the franchise itself, atleast in its current form.

Think about it. MGM is looking to sell, and there are some reasons why they are due to be bought shortly, but that's too complicated to get into now. Barbara has stated many times that Craig is her Bond, (maybe true, but an opinion, and doesn't reflect the feelings of many fans) and she couldn't imagine doing the films with anyone. And I believe her, because I honestly don't think she has any interest in making the, light-hearted fun and frolics adventure films her father made for thirty years. That's not a criticism, but merely a statement. I think her Bond has to have that personal angle, and be more artsy let's say, in order for her to have the same investment. And it has worked well for one era, even if not to everyone's tastes. But is that to be the future of Bond forever, until Babs retires? I don't think it can be - the mid 2000's was the perfect time for a series to be taken in the direction that she wanted, but it's not that time anymore. So what is going to happen? Well, I believe EON are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table with Bond 25. I wouldn't be surprised if Craig did die in this one, and it would be the end of a 25 film saga. Or they could link it up to the beginning of Dr No and create symmertery that way. Whatever it is, they are planning something big and showy. And I think it might be the last Bond film we see from EON productions. Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think like after Bond 25 is released there will be a huge announcement that Bond will be sold to off, and Warner Bros. Like most likely be the buyer.

Think about it, explains why they currently have a one picture deal in place for distribution, right? And why they are taking so long to get this one right on a script level. It feels like the final hurdle to me, or the victory lap. I know how it sounds, but if you told me there would be new Star Wars movies with George Lucas involved ten years ago, I would have not believed you either. We're living in a different era. Bond is too significant, pop-culturally speaking, to remain independant. Everything is consolidating and merging together in the movie business, and I think it is inevitable that this effects Bond too. Babs probably would like to go out on her own terms, and give the franchise the "ending" she feels it deserves. I'm sure many would prefer that things stay with the Broccolis forever, but there is only Gregg to take over, and he would have to be the sole producer in another 15 - 20 years. I just can't see that, myself.

But the future is bright. if there is indeed a sale, I believe Warner Bros. Will be the most likely to snap up the rights, because they have Christopher Nolan waiting in the wings, who has stated many times he is interested in doing Bond films, and has even dreamt about were he would take he franchise if he ever had the chance. A little while back, one member remarked on the how each actor has delivered a different number of Bond films. Except a trilogy, that has never been done before. But with a studios like Warner's and a property like Bond, the sky is the limit. They could instantly greenlight a trilogy on day one and fast track it into pre-production. Something I will mention is that I feel like if Christopher Nolan does do a Bond film, which I feel is the most likely option in a post-Craig world, then the likelihood is that Aidan Turner will not become James Bond. This is mainly due to the fact that Nolan hires from a pool of actors which he has worked with before, and many are people with pre-established stars in Hollywood. For this reason, I believe (even if it not my wish) that Tom Hardy is the most likely actor to be cast as the next James Bond and take up the mantle from Craig.

Bollocks!!!!!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Seems like folks are ready for a Black Bond after all.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Seems like folks are ready for a Black Bond after all.

Very good, @RichardTheBruce!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,131
    Revelator wrote: »
    Except he has limited acting talent. Rather like a plank of wood. Hiddleston and Cavill are far more suitable candidates.

You've got it backwards. Pattinson showed his range and talent quite well in films like Good Time, whereas Cavill is made entirely out of pine.

I thought Cavill was great in The Man From Uncle, but he's not my choice for Bond, he's a tad uninspired. Pattinson is just a plank of wood in all films I've seen him in. He's as 'wooden' as the Forest in that awful Vampire franchise he starred in.
    Denbigh wrote: »

OohdZqOI
    Rob-home_0.jpg

Fair points, but I personally think Cavill would be out of the running just for being Superman, and Hiddleston is too controversial (TS, his speech) at this point to be cast, plus both choices are quite uninspired. I think whoever is cast will come from left-field and someone we won't expect, although with the internet nowadays who knows.

Huddleston's voice is great for the part of Bond??? Speech?