Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I won't be surprised if they have the new James Bond announcement in 2022, it would give them something to do during the 60th Anniversary. Cause let's face it, as much as you guys are demanding it, we're not gonna have a new 007 film out in 2022.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Agree
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if they have the new James Bond announcement in 2022, it would give them something to do during the 60th Anniversary. Cause let's face it, as much as you guys are demanding it, we're not gonna have a new 007 film out in 2022.

No chance of a film, so you may be right.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Agree

No chance of a film, so you may be right.

Yep! Completely agree. So they better deliver some outstanding NEW merchandise? NOT another DB5!!!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,469
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a Moore or Brosnan-type actor next. A lighter, standalone approach after the gritty, somewhat connected Craig era would be nice. And I say that as someone who loves 3/4 of Craig's films (SP is the odd one out).
    I agree with all your points here...even though I like SP. It's suited Craig to be buff, but I was reflecting on how Sean Connery was on the lean side, especially early on, and how that seemed to me to suit the character--lean but he still kicked major butt (not a Superman, an anti-Mr. Hinx if you will)--and how that "unassuming" build might suit the next Bond actor, though I'm sure that won't be the pre-determining factor by any means. Then again, there'll only ever be one Sean Connery. Not sure what Fleming might've written about Bond's build, if anything. A quick check...Connery is 6'2"...Craig is 5'10".

This is a retro question, but does anyone here know, when Roger Moore was chosen as Bond, if it was a slam dunk decision, or if the producers went through a period of deciding? Just watching TV reruns of The Saint now and wondered.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    This is a retro question, but does anyone here know, when Roger Moore was chosen as Bond, if it was a slam dunk decision, or if the producers went through a period of deciding? Just watching TV reruns of The Saint now and wondered.

I know I've read something about the casting about Moore, but can't remember any details – or whether it was a slam dunk decision or not. Some members here might know more, but wasn't Moore a name they considered long before he got the part?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I mean...

aaron-sam-taylor-johnson-couple-up-for-vanity-fair-oscars-01.jpg
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Doesn't he have that awful high pitched voice from Kick Ass? Voice is very important, to me anyway.

tenor.gif?itemid=4797776
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz....... ;)
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 3,333

I know I've read something about the casting about Moore, but can't remember any details – or whether it was a slam dunk decision or not. Some members here might know more, but wasn't Moore a name they considered long before he got the part?
    From what I’ve read it wasn’t as slam dunk as people might’ve thought. UA wanted an American actor, whilst Saltzman argued that 007 should be played by a Brit. Burt Reynolds was asked but declined due to his fear of not be able to do a sufficient English accent. Let’s not also forget that they were still hopeful of luring Connery back for LALD; the first script treatment even incorporated the return of Honey Ryder which was eventually switched to Quarrel Junior when Connery declined, the feeling being that Ursula Andress‘ character just wouldn’t work with a different actor playing Bond. Even when Broccoli favoured Moore, Saltzman and UA were less enthusiastic. However, Saltzman eventually came round to the idea of casting Moore, but it still wasn’t a slam dunk as contract talks could easily breakdown, as they did when Moore signed on for another series of The Saint instead of the proposed TMWTGG movie in ‘68.

Michael Billington was put on a retainer should Moore’s contract talks stall, ready to step in. In fact Billington was always in the shadows throughout Moore’s entire tenure, waiting in the wings right up to FYEO. So, it could’ve easily been Michael Billington instead of Moore.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Univex wrote: »
    Doesn't he have that awful high pitched voice from Kick Ass? Voice is very important, to me anyway.

tenor.gif?itemid=4797776

I think the American accent made his voice seem higher, but I'll admit his actual British voice isn't on the lower end of the spectrum :D I still think he could be a good James Bond, and I'm interested to see what he does in Kingsman, because that would be a good time to subtly audition ;)
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 2,896
    Here we go again:
    "7 Actors Who Should Be the Next James Bond — IndieWire Critics Survey"

The critics are, of course, Z-listers.
    The 7 actors:
    Idris Elba (too old!)
    Henry Golding (is his accent right?)
    Daniel Kaluuya (not handsome enough)
    Shazad Latif (meh)
    Dev Patel (not suave enough)
    Robert Pattinson (I doubt he's interested)
    Colin Salmon (too old again!)
    Univex wrote: »

tenor.gif?itemid=4797776

I think the American accent made his voice seem higher, but I'll admit his actual British voice isn't on the lower end of the spectrum :D I still think he could be a good James Bond, and I'm interested to see what he does in Kingsman, because that would be a good time to subtly audition ;)
    A voice doesn´t have to be Deep in order to be charismatic and in Control. Problems start when actors try to speak in a deeper voice than their own. Sam Worthington would be a good example if he himself were more charismatic. But I saw Keanu Reeves the other day in an interview, where he came across as much more natural than he does in some of his films, e.g. The Matrix. Keanu Reeves definitely sounds better with a slightly higher voice.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,131
    Revelator wrote: »
    Here we go again:

The 7 actors:
    Idris Elba (too old!)
    Shazad Latif (meh)

Largely pointless list given that Bond is a white Character................

The 7 pointless suggestions:
    Idris Elba - No, Bond is not Black.
    Henry Golding - No, Bond is not Oriental.
    Daniel Kaluuya - No, Bond is not Black.
    Shazad Latif - The worst yet.....Bond is not Arab.
    Dev Patel - Even worse......No, Bond is not Indian or Pakistani. Is this a joke??? It has to be???
    Robert Pattinson - Wooden actor.
    Colin Salmon - No, Bond is not Black.
  • Yeah, I laughed when I read Dev Patel’s name.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here we go again:

The 7 actors:
    Idris Elba (too old!)
    Shazad Latif (meh)

This is a ludicrous list and has one purpose, to be provocative.

• TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    That Kick-ass guy is too young and baby faced, I hope for a more realistic approach.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,280
    Here we go again:

The 7 actors:
    Idris Elba (too old!)
    Shazad Latif (meh)

If (in some very strange sets of circumstances) it was down to these seven actors, I'd definitely choose Colin Salmon, regardless of age or skin colour.
    bondsum wrote: »

From what I’ve read it wasn’t as slam dunk as people might’ve thought. UA wanted an American actor, whilst Saltzman argued that 007 should be played by a Brit. Burt Reynolds was asked but declined due to his fear of not be able to do a sufficient English accent. Let’s not also forget that they were still hopeful of luring Connery back for LALD; the first script treatment even incorporated the return of Honey Ryder which was eventually switched to Quarrel Junior when Connery declined, the feeling being that Ursula Andress‘ character just wouldn’t work with a different actor playing Bond. Even when Broccoli favoured Moore, Saltzman and UA were less enthusiastic. However, Saltzman eventually came round to the idea of casting Moore, but it still wasn’t a slam dunk as contract talks could easily breakdown, as they did when Moore signed on for another series of The Saint instead of the proposed TMWTGG movie in ‘68.

Michael Billington was put on a retainer should Moore’s contract talks stall, ready to step in. In fact Billington was always in the shadows throughout Moore’s entire tenure, waiting in the wings right up to FYEO. So, it could’ve easily been Michael Billington instead of Moore.

Thanks for the info! A TMWTGG '68 starring Moore could have been interesting.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 692
    If (in some very strange sets of circumstances) it was down to these seven actors, I'd definitely choose Colin Salmon, regardless of age or skin colour.

Salmon is a good actor, but he's 56, which is too old. Were I forced at gunpoint to select someone from that list, it would either be Pattinson (who showed he was a good actor in Good Time) or Golding, who is half-British, looks good in a tux, and could hopefully pull off the accent. But I haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians, so I defer to those who have and beg to differ.

Salmon is a good actor, but he's 56, which is too old. Were I forced at gunpoint to select someone from that list, it would either be Pattinson (who showed he was a good actor in Good Time) or Golding, who is half-British, looks good in a tux, and could hopefully pull off the accent. But I haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians, so I defer to those who have and beg to differ.

But Bond isn’t half Chinese? It’s just a silly suggestion in a meaningless article. There are plenty of talented British actors who look like Flemings character, a white British male, who have the accent. No need to ‘pull off’ anything. I understand that the general public/ average cinema go’er/ non Brits don’t really care about the heritage of Flemings creation, but I’m surprised quite a few knowledgable and passionate Bond fans dont seem to.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,280

Of course he's too old. In a bizarre situation where it's down to these actors however, I'd rather have a 56 year old Salmon than Pattinson etc.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Here we go again:

The 7 actors:
    Idris Elba (too old!)
    Shazad Latif (meh)

This is a ludicrous list and has one purpose, to be provocative.

True.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I understand that the general public/ average cinema go’er/ non Brits don’t really care about the heritage of Fleming's creation, but I’m surprised quite a few knowledgeable and passionate Bond fans don't seem to.

Well no, I don't care if a 21st century James Bond isn't white. Bond's core identity is that of a British male, and nowadays Britishness doesn't mean whiteness. If we casting a Bond for a period adaptation of Fleming's books, he would certainly need to be white. But if the story is taking place in the 21st century, the race doesn't matter as long as it's one found in the UK. If the actor is British, male, and looks simultaneously tough and good in a tux, then he's a contender.

But Bond isn’t half Chinese? It’s just a silly suggestion in a meaningless article. There are plenty of talented British actors who look like Flemings character, a white British male, who have the accent. No need to ‘pull off’ anything. I understand that the general public/ average cinema go’er/ non Brits don’t really care about the heritage of Flemings creation, but I’m surprised quite a few knowledgable and passionate Bond fans dont seem to.

We've had an Irishman who sounded like he lived in the mid Atlantic play Bond so why not Golding or Dev Patel?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Getafix wrote: »

We've had an Irishman who sounded like he lived in the mid Atlantic play Bond so why not Golding or Dev Patel?

Because we learn from mistakes? ;-)

“That should keep you in curry for a few weeks”.......because Bond is a white Brit......”It’s like following a cue ball.....good cover Bond.....white face in Harlem.” Golding is more Oddjob or Lt Hip than Bond.
  • I think Golding could pull off Bond.
    I think Golding could pull off Bond.

I think Golding could pull off Colonel Sun.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Funny how race trumps anything else.

Laz and Brozza couldn't be less British really. I suspect Laz hates the Brits (like most Aussies) and Brosnan has spoken openly about how odd it was for him as an Irishman to be playing a Brit on screen.

Dev Patel and Golding are arguably (not sure there's actually much of an argument) more British than either Laz or Brozza.

Patel is sadly rather underused. He showed he can really act in Lion and I had been expecting to see more of him. Bond is perhaps a stretch but it's a shame there isn't more colour blind casting in the movies. There's often no reason a particular character has to be a specific race - would be good if casting directors approached theirs jobs from this perspective.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Funny how race trumps anything else.

Laz and Brozza couldn't be less British really. I suspect Laz hates the Brits (like most Aussies) and Brosnan has spoken openly about how odd it was for him as an Irishman to be playing a Brit on screen.

Dev Patel and Golding are arguably (not sure there's actually much of an argument) more British than either Laz or Brozza.

Patel is sadly rather underused. He showed he can really act in Lion and I had been expecting to see more of him. Bond is perhaps a stretch but it's a shame there isn't more colour blind casting in the movies. There's often no reason a particular character has to be a specific race - would be good if casting directors approached theirs jobs from this perspective.

It's not a question of 'beeing' British as an actor, it's about looking and acting like one. It's about believeability, and I guess both Laz and Bros pulled that off. Bond is the kind of Brit that basically doesn't exist anymore. So either they keep him in the vein of what he was/ is supposed to be allthough in reality few Brits still are like that, or they let him change with the times. Personally I don't really like the latter option because you Always lose something of the essence of the character. In my country they re-made 'Yes, Minister into a modern-day version, including modern-day office-dress for civil servants and use of language. It doesn't work, it's not funny. Even though 'Yes, Minister' has been an extremely good guide for me on how to work with civil servants.