Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s interesting, I live in a city that is 70% Black. I have a lot of black friends who are big movie fans, particularly genre films; I have yet to find one who thinks Bond should be anything but white. Actually many are amused that it’s even discussed.
    talos7 wrote: »
    It’s interesting, I live in a city that is 70% Black. I have a lot of black friends who are big movie fans, particularly genre films; I have yet to find one who thinks Bond should be anything but white. Actually many are amused that it’s even discussed.

My experience as well, regarding my black friends opinion. One of them is actually a massive fan.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    An important reason the established character James Bond should remain white is that he's an extension of his creator Ian Fleming.

Daniel Craig looks like Hoagy Carmichael.

+1.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »
    I find that frequently some who are open to Bond being of any ethnicity, give off an air of superiority, not unlike vegans, lol.

There’s nothing wrong with thinking that Bond need not be Caucasian, but there’s also nothing wrong, or “ racist “ with thinking that he should be; it’s not closed minded, it’s a preference.

Exactly. It's more than a preference I would say it's a clear and simple rule.........."Fleming himself already set the Caucasian template over 60 years ago - which, I might add, has been followed explicitly since 1953. That’s already 66 successive and successful years of the character being officially established as a Caucasian male, leaving absolutely no doubt whatsoever his skin colour, race, or gender.” It's a rule that should be followed. If it isn't, I for one will boycott the film/ series from that point, I'm not prepared to be flexible at all. I also really like the character as was depicted in the novels and I too would love faithful adaptations of all novels. I am opposed to having a non-caucasian Bond as it would cease to be Bond anymore at that point.

Anyhow, back to serious candidates.....I still put forward...

- Tom Hiddleston
    - Aidan Turner
    - Michael Fassbender

The producers can give Dev Patel a call if an Asian double 0 or Kamal Khan type villain is required, the same goes for Henry Golding if Colonel Sun, Tiger Tanaka or Wai Lins Brother make an appearance.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 693
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tom Bateman might be good, though I've only seen him as a villainous American in Cold Pursuit. He's 29 too, which would make him young enough without being too young for the next era.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 5,767
    What about Gwilym Lee, who recently starred as Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody. There's something familiar in the face, like Humphrey Bogart. Good actor.
    I find his Name fairly Hobbit-ish, but I must admit I´ve never seen a face that reminds me more of Hoagy Carmichael.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Tom Bateman might be good, though I've only seen him as a villainous American in Cold Pursuit. He's 29 too, which would make him young enough without being too young for the next era.
    His face is quite masculine, and of a kind that hasn´t been used for Bond so far.

boldfinger wrote: »
    What about Gwilym Lee, who recently starred as Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody. There's something familiar in the face, like Humphrey Bogart. Good actor.
    I find his Name fairly Hobbit-ish, but I must admit I´ve never seen a face that reminds me more of Hoagy Carmichael.

Ah right, maybe that's who I meant lol

Dya think the actors name has to be good also? I think so now. I mean, Daniel Craig sounds strong indeed.

Ah right, maybe that's who I meant lol

Dya think the actors name has to be good also? I think so now. I mean, Daniel Craig sounds strong indeed.
    I´m not sure how important it would be. As a kid I found "Lazenby" a complicated Name. Once the Actor would be established successfully it wouldn´t matter at all anymore.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    NicNac wrote: »
    Mack_Bolan wrote: »
    It’s folks who have an agenda that want to cast Idris Elba as Bond. They’ve never read the novels or watched all the films, nor do they intend to.

I doubt they even spend their hard earned money to go watch an Idris Elba film.

I would fully support a non white Bond but only if he was by far the best candidate for the role. I would not support a non white actor if he was deliberately cast just to be PC.

As Jodie Whittaker was.

As I said before, the current Felix isn't the same character for me at all, just someone with the same name in the same organisation.
    The change of M was based on the real-life head of MI5. Above all M is a function, a job, not a person per se, as we have seen in Skyfall.
    Moneypenny is more diffiecult, but I guess, if they'd stuck to the job- and person discription Fleming gave, etnicity wouldn't be that important. Fact is however that secretaries these days have a completely different role than back then. So again we've probably got someone with the same (sur) name, not the same person.

For me Bond can't even be from the colo...eh, I mean, from the USA.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Has anyone considered Callum Turner (left, obviously) for the role? Not only would it be nice for me to share a surname with a James Bond actor, but he's a brilliant actor and has array of differnet projects under his belt. He appeared in Fantastic Beasts as a charming British man, and also appeared in Assassin's Creed, so he could definitely pull of the action. He's also 29, so would probably be around 32-33 by the time he is cast/appears in the film. If you wanna see him kick-ass in the video, his short section happens around the 1 minute 30 second mark.

fantastic-beasts-2-newt-theseus.jpeg
    Right age, tall enough, not really known. Not sure about his face (in a few years maybe?) and I know nothing of his acting skills.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Has anyone considered Callum Turner (left, obviously) for the role? Not only would it be nice for me to share a surname with a James Bond actor, but he's a brilliant actor and has array of differnet projects under his belt. He appeared in Fantastic Beasts as a charming British man, and also appeared in Assassin's Creed, so he could definitely pull of the action. He's also 29, so would probably be around 32-33 by the time he is cast/appears in the film. If you wanna see him kick-ass in the video, his short section happens around the 1 minute 30 second mark.

fantastic-beasts-2-newt-theseus.jpeg

I know nothing of his acting skills. But he looks geeky on the photos I’ve seen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Right age, tall enough, not really known. Not sure about his face (in a few years maybe?) and I know nothing of his acting skills.
    Oh yeah, like I said above he’s only 29, so by the time they would cast him, he’d probably be between 32-34, maybe? Plus he’d probably bulk up a little bit, but all in all I think he could be great. He’s a good actor and can sell his fight scenes.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    A few more years. Looks arrogant enough.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A few more years. Looks arrogant enough.
    Haha good point, he does. I am quite proud of this suggestion.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not bad @Denbigh Not bad at all.
    Right age.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality.
    Right look (just about)

And he’s a massive Chelsea fan, so he’s alright in my book ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Benny wrote: »
    Right age.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality.
    Right look (just about)

Haha I'm glad @Benny :) He just needs to bulk up a bit and he'd be perfect. Also, found this picture which solidifies it even more for me... plus with Vanessa Kirby as a girlfriend, he must already be quite charming :)

tmp_WGrVG8_36f2a3262dc4a49e_MCDFABE_EC167.jpg
    He just needs to bulk up a bit and he'd be perfect. Also, found this picture which solidifies it even more for me... plus with Vanessa Kirby as a girlfriend, he must already be quite charming :)
    A man who can pull off his fight Scenes and has Vanessa Kirby as girlfriend doesn´t Need to bulk up.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Right age.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality.
    Right look (just about)

Haha I'm glad @Benny :) He just needs to bulk up a bit and he'd be perfect. Also, found this picture which solidifies it even more for me... plus with Vanessa Kirby as a girlfriend, he must already be quite charming :)

Looks like a member of a boy band. Skip.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Right age.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality.
    Right look (just about)

Looks like a member of a boy band. Skip.

I agree, and I’ve tried, but can’t see Bond whatsoever . He’s very soft looking and has the smug look of a frat boy.

More of a period drama actor,looking at him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think he could pull it off, but you can’t please everyone :)
    Its hard to know whether you could pull it off or not,in your pyjamas.
    Callum Turner......
    Too young.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality
    Wrong look - Geeky

I’d say no.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Callum Turner......
    Too young.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality
    Wrong look - Geeky

I’d say no.
    +1
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Its hard to know whether you could pull it off or not,in your pyjamas.

There's.... so.... many...puns....... and they're all NSFW....
    Too young.
    Dude, how can any Actor for B26 be too Young, considering when the film will probably be made :-)) ?
    Too young.
    Dude, how can any Actor for B26 be too Young, considering when the film will probably be made :-)) ?

Because he's 29 now. I would expect Bond 26 to be out in 2023, which would make him 33. That's too young. Bond should be in his late 30's or early 40's IMO. Yes Daniel Craig was 36, Lazenby was 29 and Connery was 33 when they started, but Craig looked around 40 and Lazenby and Connery looked at least late 30's. Callum Turner currently looks like a 20 something science student IMO.
    Right age.
    Right height.
    Right hair colour.
    Right nationality.
    Right look (just about)

giphy.gif

:-D