Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Univex wrote: »
    60? Damn! Really hope not! Some of us will be dead and buried then, and a new Z gen actor with no given gender and a disturbing lack of personality or characterisation would take over. An amorphous yet very political correct J. Bond, bald, medium height, medium weight, track suit wearing, non violent, abstinent, asexual, would give us Blandwater, not shaken, not stirred, just Blandwater, the film.

I really do hope this next film kick starts the series for future outings. Only 2 films this past decade was ridiculous. Makes me fear we may just get one in the 2020's.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It´s perfectly fine to dislike any Actor. But to put up bad memes or complain About a girlfriend is ridiculous.
    There are enough bad shots of Craig, or any other popular Actor for that matter.
    And do you complain as much About Fukunaga in his early 40s have a gf in her early 20s? What do such Things have to do with acting/Performing capabilities?

I agree. I couldn’t care less if Hiddleston dated Taylor Swift. I’ve seen the Night Manager and that showed me he is a top Bond candidate. I’ve also watched Poldark and Turner is my current second choice.

Have you watched And then there were none?

up3iiupj6g2agrq0phur

Hiddleston is my second choice.

TomoBrejc105222184220.jpg

No I haven’t. But I will now, thanks.
    Here you go @suavejmf. Enjoy...

I must admit that after seeing And then there none ,Turner has gone up in my estimations x yet to see him in Poldark though, without an Irish accent as that put me off my appraisal a little
    bondsum wrote: »

Wow! Thanks for posting that. i will definitely be watching this soon.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    He's such a good choice. This shot in particular looks like it's ripped right from one of the novels.

He also has a bit of Sean Connery about him.

...and enjoy 'And Then There Were None', it's very good :)

0cef965174657685d33294e7bc432731.jpg
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited March 2019 Posts: 544
    Wasn’t this Madden in Bastille Day? I can’t take him seriously. He’s just another Jamie Dornan.

At 32, Madden looks like a young midshipman.
    At 32, Connery looked like an experienced Royal Navy commander working for the British Secret Service, armed, dangerous and licenced to kill.

You can blame the times and the longer life expectancy, but to me nowadays Bond should be no younger than 40 or 37 at the very least. But honestly, in every pic I see of Madden I can safely say David Niven's Sir James Bond (or his character from The Sea Wolves) could beat the crap out of him and end up on a desk job with a purple eye.

Just my two cents.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn’t this Madden in Bastille Day? I can’t take him seriously. He’s just another Jamie Dornan.

At 32, Connery looked like an experienced Royal Navy commander working for the British Secret Service, armed, dangerous and licenced to kill.

You can blame the times and the longer life expectancy, but to me nowadays Bond should be no younger than 40 or 37 at the very least. But honestly, in every pic I see of Madden I can safely say David Niven's Sir James Bond (or his character from The Sea Wolves) could beat the crap out of him and end up on a desk job with a purple eye.

Just my two cents.
    +1

Well said, sir. Well said.

Just my two cents.

Exactly! I think a lot of the names being tossed around, even though they're in their early 30's look more suitable for a cheesy '90's boy band rather than Bond.
    Did anyone catch Elba on SNL last night? There was a gag about him playing Bond in it. He really comes across as utterly desperate for attention.
    Idris Elba is the laughingstock of the intelligence community!
    Mack_Bolan wrote: »
    Idris Elba is the laughingstock of the intelligence community!
    :)) Nice one!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'll always appreciate Idris for The Wire but since that he's just been a bit of an embarrassment the way he's blatantly tried to court the role.

Now he knows he's got no chance he backtracks and says he doesn't want a role that will define his career.

I can see DC doing fine once he's finished with Bond because unlike Brosnan I don't see DC going after the action man type roles that Pierce seems to get attached to.

Craig will no doubt merge back into being a character again. I could see Knives Out developing into a franchise as Johnson is looking at making him a modern day Poirot but I don't see Dan going after Bond like roles once he's finished with the character.

I think if you never had much range before then yes the typecast shroud would hang over you but DC had already built up quite a rich body of work before getting the role, no other Bond has had that breadth of work prior to getting the role.
    TR007 wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Elba on SNL last night? There was a gag about him playing Bond in it. He really comes across as utterly desperate for attention.

It's getting old now. When it comes to Bond, Idris Elba is today's Julian McMahon.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's getting old now. When it comes to Bond, Idris Elba is today's Julian McMahon.

Casual movie goers and fans probably still think it's a done deal that he's taking over from Craig.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I wasn't all that "in the know" around the time but I did love Nip/Tuck and knew his name was tossed around at times - was he as bad as Elba about playing the next Bond? That's a shame, I quite liked him, though not sure how well he would've done as Bond. Career really disappeared for him for the most part after that series.
    Apparently now, he'll be taking over Will Smith's role as Deadshot in the Suicide Squad series. That's cool for him.
    I trust he will be more successful.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I wasn't all that "in the know" around the time but I did love Nip/Tuck and knew his name was tossed around at times - was he as bad as Elba about playing the next Bond? That's a shame, I quite liked him, though not sure how well he would've done as Bond. Career really disappeared for him for the most part after that series.

Social media was not as developed as now, but he sure was seeking a lot of attention for his bid as Bond. Don't think he ever was seriously considered. Either way he didn't help himself.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    ToTheRight wrote: »

It's such a crime that Charles Dance has never been in bond film. Great actor imo.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It's such a crime that Charles Dance has never been in bond film. Great actor imo.

FYEO.

Z02.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Dance would make a cracking M, maybe to old now though.

Very early role there for him.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,423

Z02.jpg
    It's a crime that Charles Dance has been that man in FYEO. Could you imagine Dance playing an agent in either the Dalton era or the Brosnan era that would channel Fleming's Bond as a filler, while the respective Bond actors maintain their mannerisms in their respective characters? Would've loved to see Dance as another 00. One who is an ally to Bond's and just as effective as a secret agent.

Z02.jpg

What the hell... How exactly did he not get to play the major role is beyond me. Is it really him?

Z02.jpg

What the hell... How exactly did he not get to play the major role is beyond me. Is it really him?
    It's him alright!!
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

Casual movie goers and fans probably still think it's a done deal that he's taking over from Craig.

Just movie goers. What I understand for "a Bond fan" will never take that for granted.

Z02.jpg

It's him alright!!

Yeah I saw still hard to believe. I read somewhere that Gerard Butler was in tomorrow Never Dies as well
    I can't take anybody seriously who'd think Elba would make a great Bond. Or any of those other suggestions like Dev Patel and all that jazz.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 17,308

Z02.jpg
    It's a crime that Charles Dance has been that man in FYEO. Could you imagine Dance playing an agent in either the Dalton era or the Brosnan era that would channel Fleming's Bond as a filler, while the respective Bond actors maintain their mannerisms in their respective characters? Would've loved to see Dance as another 00. One who is an ally to Bond's and just as effective as a secret agent.

That would be great! Could see him play a Mr. White type of character as well.

Z02.jpg

He should have!