Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While I'd agree about Connery being out on his own.

I do think the Craig detractors are keen to claim he's just the next guy.

What needs to be said not since Connery has any other actor redefined the role and changed who and would like to play Bond.

His portrayal and reception is a game changer whether his haters like it or not.
    Craig is definitely “this” generation’s Bond, more so than Brosnan ever was IMO. He’s brooding, emotional but also has a very masculine quality that feels less glitzy Hollywood than his predecessor. There’s definitely some steely traits of Connery I can see in Craig, which is why I think there’s a misconception that he’s surpassed Connery. There’s no dishonor in coming second best to Connery.

I wrote a comment on one of these boards yonks ago that questioned the hypothesis that Fleming refashioned Bond to tailor the casting of Connery. It was my understanding that Fleming based the character’s Scottish hereditary on his own, not so much the actors. Correspondence dating back to 1960 shows that Fleming contacted a Scottish nobleman to help develop Bond's family history, in particular seeking a Scottish "Bond" family line. This was clearly 2 years before Connery had even been considered for the role. I’ve always felt it was a fortuitous happy coincidence that both the actor and the character’s hereditary were similar. As I pointed out in an earlier post, Fleming wrote the character as a romanticized extension of himself to escape the first trappings of a late marriage. It was a Charles Helfenstein interview whereby he divulged that he had access to all the early Fleming correspondence that finally put to bed this myth that Fleming had retailored Bond to encompass Connery.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 2,896
    It is true that in 1960 Fleming commissioned research from the College of Arms, in the course of which he inquired if there were any Scottish roots in Bond's background. Undoubtedly this was inspired by Fleming's own roots. But it's also true that until OHMSS Bond was exclusively referred to as English, with never a mention of Scottishness. It's a little too coincidental that Bond suddenly began referring to himself as a Scot only after Connery was cast, starting in a book that even references Connery's first Bond film. Fleming had probably intended to give Bond some Scottish ancestry, but to what extent we don't know--he had a Scottish grandfather and might have given Bond one too. But Connery's casting seems to have prompted Fleming to accentuate Bond's Scottish ancestry and identity in a way that might not have happened if an English actor had been cast in the role.
    I think what’s really sad is that Fleming himself never got to see the world domination of GF before he died. We know that Fleming visited the set as there were photos of him talking with Connery and Shirley Eaton, but nothing to say he saw any of the rushes. We also know that the movie was incomplete as Shirley Bassey hadn’t recorded the theme song until 8 days after Fleming died - so they were still pretty busy in post production. Had Fleming seen the Connery effect of GF, I have no doubt that the man himself would’ve heaped huge praise on its star and declared Connery the perfect casting. We do know that Fleming saw FRWL and had softened his stance against the actor since his derision of Dr. No, but some claim he only did this as he could see that audiences had embraced the actor, regardless of his own feelings, and saw the commercial opportunities of keeping schtum.

Regardless, Connery’s success was cemented by US audiences by the time of GF in ‘64. Richard Maibaum believes that by casting a working-class Scot and not a privileged English toff in the role helped allow American audiences to identify with him more easily, seeing him as something of an Everyman. I don’t disagree with Maibaum’s own observation.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 2,896
    bondsum wrote: »
    We do know that Fleming saw FRWL and had softened his stance against the actor since his derision of Dr. No, but some claim he only did this as he could see that audiences had embraced the actor, regardless of his own feelings, and saw the commercial opportunities of keeping schtum.

I suspect that Fleming's dissatisfaction with Connery was been exaggerated by some of the folks involved with the films. The Man With the Golden Typewriter reproduces a letter from Oct. 25, 1961 written by Fleming to Blanche Blackwell, where he says the following about Dr. No: "The producer, Terence Young, seems very nice and the man they have chosen for Bond, Sean Connery, is a real charmer – fairly unknown but a good actor with the right looks and physique."

Blanche was Fleming's mistress, so it's unlikely that he was engaging in PR with her; in all likelihood he was sincere in his praise. And if memory serves, one of the interviewees in the Fleming documentary included with The Living Daylights remarks that Fleming was initially unsure about Connery but quickly came around after a female friend vouched for the latter's sex appeal. Undoubtedly Connery was not the man Fleming initially pictured as Bond, but he had enough good sense to change his mind early on. I do recall that Fleming thought the film of Dr. No was disappointing compared to the book (to some extent I agree).
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Interesting correspondence between Fleming’s mistress and himself. I suppose Fleming being a gentleman would temper his reaction when writing to a woman, because when he was within the company of men, his criticism was far more derogatory. I believe Terrence Young said when he was first introduced to Fleming that the author declared: “So you're the one they've chosen to f*** up my work". Evidently Fleming could be mean-spirited and cantankerous when it suited him.

Even Connery himself admitted in an interview with Melvin Bragg which was shown on the South Bank Show in 2008: “I never got introduced to Fleming until I was well into the movie but I know he was not happy with me as the choice. What was it he called me, or told somebody? That I was an over-developed stunt man. He never said it to me. When I did eventually meet him he was very interesting, erudite and a snob – a real snob. But his company was very good for a limited time for me.”

Clearly Connery remembers it differently, but he does make a point of saying that Fleming wasn’t happy with his original casting. It is true that Fleming later said that while Connery was “not quite the idea” he had of Bond, but “he would be if [he] wrote the books over again” so there are moments when Fleming publicly stated that he’d had a change of heart. However, by that very same token Fleming admits he’d write the character differently if he could start over again, but in fact he did not.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Interesting stuff.

Many here call Craig a 'thug' ,lacking any of James Bond's literary qualities. But of course by the same token Fleming himself in the early 60s saw Connery in much the same way.
    I think Fleming would have tempered his reaction with a woman he wasn't intimate with, but Blanche was extremely close to him, probably closer than his wife by that time. Terence Young's story could be interpreted either as nasty remark or an upfront joke by Fleming. I would lean more toward the latter, since Young's response was not an angry one.

Connery's remarks obviously have some truth, since it's confirmed that he wasn't Fleming's original choice, but what they reveal is also interesting. He's relaying a hearsay, second-hand remark that he never heard Fleming say and doesn't remember the provenance of--"What was it he called me, or told somebody?" I think that says more about Connery's ability to enlarge the chip on his shoulder than Fleming's attitude, which was probably amplified via a game of telephone by the film crew. I don't wish to pick on Connery, who I regard as a great film actor and the greatest Bond, but on several topics--like that of Broccoli and Saltzman--he's not an entirely reliable source.

It's also worth remembering that the filmmakers tended to tell stories that built themselves up at the expense of Fleming. Hence Young's remark about books having B-movie plots, Maibaum's about the books having no sense of humor (though they did after CR) or Fleming being obtuse about the film's humor (though he gave Bond film-style wisecracks in his Thunderball script). Fleming's supposed antagonism toward Connery also falls into this category--his original but soon discarded discomfort seems to have been exaggerated by the filmmakers and used to congratulate themselves.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Any of the names below for Bond 26 and I'd be happy.
    Daniel Craig, go on, one more, do it for Babs.
    Chris Hemsworth
    Michael Fasbender

Wouldn't be upset if...
    Henry Cavill
    Tom Hiddleston
    Alexander Scarsgard
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Any of the names below for Bond 26 and I'd be happy.
    Daniel Craig, go on, one more, do it for Babs.
    Chris Hemsworth
    Michael Fasbender

Wouldn't be upset if...
    Henry Cavill
    Tom Hiddleston
    Alexander Scarsgard

Daniel Craig, go on, one more, do it for Babs - Agreed
    Chris Hemsworth - No way, he's too famous and not a great actor. No more Australians ether.
    Michael Fassbender - Good call.

Wouldn't be upset if...
    Henry Cavill - Too famous now.
    Tom Hiddleston - Good call.
    Alexander Scarsgard - Automatic rejection for being from Swedish.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Ok, I think I could see him as Bond...

636661361358285911-9.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop
    MV5BMzU3ZGRjNjktYjdhZi00YzQyLTlmZGUtYmZkMmNlMmRhMTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXRodW1ibmFpbC1pbml0aWFsaXplcg@@._V1_.jpg
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 5,767
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Yeah he is, but he's actually one of the best calls so far nonetheless. He's got the physique, he's got talent, and he's got charisma. Don't know about his English pronounciation, but I'm sure he'd master that.

EoN have a Herculean task in replacing Craig. He's redefined Bond and owns the role. Aidan Turner and all those mentioned just don't have an ounce of his presence or gravitas. They've dug themselves a hole and are victims of their own success. I really can't think of a single actor that could play Bond as well as Craig has. He's surpassed even Connery. Probably best to sell up and give someone else this quandary.
    More or less the same was said around the time of Conneryvs departure.

It just depends on where they're going to take the franchise. I agree that Craig dis an incredible job making the role his own so much. On the other hand, he's not infallible. He proved that not all things Bond work for him. The films had to be drastically taken away from the classical template in order to work for Craig. Bond films, as any other films, are not only based on the main actor, but on the collaboration of a huge number of forces.

Denbigh wrote: »

MV5BMzU3ZGRjNjktYjdhZi00YzQyLTlmZGUtYmZkMmNlMmRhMTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXRodW1ibmFpbC1pbml0aWFsaXplcg@@._V1_.jpg

Not for me...he looks damn camp in that second photo.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited March 2019 Posts: 1,318
    barryt007 wrote: »

A second grade hillbilly actually ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Hmm, he can't possibly be Bond because of the clothes he wore once in a film?
    :)
    edited March 2019 Posts: 1,318
    NicNac wrote: »

Didn't say that, but in that image he looks the part to a T. The guy has a strange face quite frankly. Imo not Bond. My opinion :)
    NicNac wrote: »

No, he can't possibly be Bond because he's a rubbish actor. The expression 'a plank of wood' springs to mind.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Yeah he is, but he's actually one of the best calls so far nonetheless. He's got the physique, he's got talent, and he's got charisma. Don't know about his English pronounciation, but I'm sure he'd master that.

EoN have a Herculean task in replacing Craig. He's redefined Bond and owns the role. Aidan Turner and all those mentioned just don't have an ounce of his presence or gravitas. They've dug themselves a hole and are victims of their own success. I really can't think of a single actor that could play Bond as well as Craig has. He's surpassed even Connery. Probably best to sell up and give someone else this quandary.
    More or less the same was said around the time of Conneryvs departure.

It just depends on where they're going to take the franchise. I agree that Craig dis an incredible job making the role his own so much. On the other hand, he's not infallible. He proved that not all things Bond work for him. The films had to be drastically taken away from the classical template in order to work for Craig. Bond films, as any other films, are not only based on the main actor, but on the collaboration of a huge number of forces.

He might have physique, talent and charisma. I'm not bothered if he can master an English accent. He isn't British so he shouldn't be considered. There are plenty of better options who are actually British (Hiddleston, Turner etc).
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Disagree. I get no additional pride/ enjoyment/ satisfaction watching a Bond film just because the lead is British. (I never think OHMSS is good but just imagine if Bond wasn't Australian, it's just not a factor for me)
    What I care about is an actor who can do the role justice , is believable and fits the role. They could originate from Jupiter as far as I'm concerned. The British role for a British actor thing might have mattered once but not now. Even Cubby way back when was seriously considering Amaerican actors.
    I believe Alexander Scarsgard could do a great job as Bond. He has the looks, physicality, good actor, can do a non Swedish sounding accent and is good in fights scenes. To dismiss potential candidates on nationality I think is silly. They are actors, they inhabit roles. (Even the British ones aren't really James Bond, there're just pretending)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Disagree. (Even the British ones aren't really James Bond, there're just pretending)

Except Sean Connery.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    True
    No, he can't possibly be Bond because he's a rubbish actor. The expression 'a plank of wood' springs to mind.

The expression "talking out of your hat" springs to my mind, since Pattinson gave an extremely good performance in Good Time and even pulled off a flawless Brooklyn American accent.

Revelator wrote: »

The expression "talking out of your hat" springs to my mind, since Pattinson gave an extremely good performance in Good Time and even pulled off a flawless Brooklyn American accent.

Overrated imo, I never cared for his acting either.

Fine, but that's less of an objective judgment than a personal opinion. The film and Pattinson's performance were both well received. I realize that some folks here have only seen Twilight, but that was a decade ago and had roles not even Laurence Olivier could have salvaged.

Fine, but that's less of an objective judgment than a personal opinion. The film and Pattinson's performance were both well received. I realize that some folks here have only seen Twilight, but that was a decade ago and had roles not even Laurence Olivier could have salvaged.

We agree to disagree. Thankfully the earth is still spinning.

That’s a fair point and well put as always.

Forgive me, but I thought the whole point of this forum is to offer personal opinions (i.e. a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged). On this occasion with regards to potential Bond actors. So I will alter the statement to IMO Robert Pattinson is a 'wooden' actor and I avoid films he appears in (after enduring a few in the past).

Forgive me, but I thought the whole point of this forum is to offer personal opinions (i.e. a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged). On this occasion with regards to potential Bond actors. So I will alter the statement to IMO Robert Pattinson is a 'wooden' actor and I avoid films he appears in (after enduring a few in the past).

Talking through one's hat is an insult inferring nonsense (especially on a subject that one professes to be knowledgeable about but in fact is ignorant of). But I have knowledge, as I've 'personally' watched his films. In conclusion from an objective point of view with regards to his acting, I don't find him 'convincing' on screen.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Disagree. I get no additional pride/ enjoyment/ satisfaction watching a Bond film just because the lead is British. (I never think OHMSS is good but just imagine if Bond wasn't Australian, it's just not a factor for me)
    What I care about is an actor who can do the role justice , is believable and fits the role. They could originate from Jupiter as far as I'm concerned. The British role for a British actor thing might have mattered once but not now. Even Cubby way back when was seriously considering Amaerican actors.
    I believe Alexander Scarsgard could do a great job as Bond. He has the looks, physicality, good actor, can do a non Swedish sounding accent and is good in fights scenes. To dismiss potential candidates on nationality I think is silly. They are actors, they inhabit roles. (Even the British ones aren't really James Bond, there're just pretending)

I am absolutely with you on the idea that nationality does not matter anymore. Didn't they screentest E.R.'s Goran Višnjić for the role of Bond for CR? Clearly Barbara and Michael are open-minded over the issue of nationality.
    I am intrigued by your suggestion of Alexander Skarsgård. Still blond, but he would fit in the role.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    "A Beautiful and Talented Actress Has Common Sense" should have been the headline. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/eva-green-james-bond-played-by-man-not-woman-1202051236/

(Thank you, Eva)