Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondsum wrote: »
    Brilliant video @suavejmf. LongBeachGriffy hits the nail right on the head.

Exactly......it's great and really funny! 'Nail on head', as you say!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,043
    I'm glad Dench isn't M anymore and feel like Fiennes should be replaced. Enough with the nonsense, silly bunch of left wingers.

What's politics got to do with it, why is it and issue?

Any excuse to take a pot shot at this era.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 15,840
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Judi Dench is just virtue signaling amongst her lovie Lib Dems set to appear hip. Someone needs to point out to grandma that Elba (I like him cos he’s a Gooner) is far too old to start his Bond tenure after Craig is done with it.

He'd be starting Bond at about the same age as Craig when he'll leave the role.

With these long gaps, I'd say he'd be closer to Roger's AVTAK age when he left the role.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm glad Dench isn't M anymore and feel like Fiennes should be replaced. Enough with the nonsense, silly bunch of left wingers.

What's politics got to do with it, why is it and issue?

Any excuse to take a pot shot at this era.

Common sense , dear @Shardlake
    Judi Dench is just virtue signaling amongst her lovie Lib Dems set to appear hip. Someone needs to point out to grandma that Elba (I like him cos he’s a Gooner) is far too old to start his Bond tenure after Craig is done with it.
    Is it really necessary to call her grandma?

Would y'all call Connery grandpa?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Reminder. The reason we don't want politics brought onto these threads is because it inevitably results in what we see beginning to transpire above. Let's cut it off now.

Commending Alba is politics by definition. Action reaction. However let's not derail it, indeed.
    Is it really necessary to call her grandma?

Would y’all call Connery grandpa?
    I would if Connery had said anything as virtuous as Dench had done, but he did not. In fact, nowadays Connery tends to keep himself to himself and his views somewhat guarded. Anyway, I’m offended that you’re offended. Let’s leave it at that.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I think the climate for a black Bond has been seriously undermined by all the terrible black on black knife crime in the UK. It's absolutely appalling what's going on in in places like London. Elba has spoken out against it. I think the perception of black youth needs to improve before a black actor become James Bond.

Elba would get tremendous negativity if he became Bond. It's just a harsh fact of life. There's a reason Anthony Horowitz said he was too street for Bond. It's the negative connotation due to the awful level of knife crime. Any anyway, Ian Fleming would have detested the idea of a black Bond. He'd hate any suggestion Bond was from the street. We have to accept something things should not be changed for politically correct reasons.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think the climate for a black Bond has been seriously undermined by all the terrible black on black knife crime in the UK. It's absolutely appalling what's going on in in places like London. Elba has spoken out against it. I think the perception of black youth needs to improve before a black actor become James Bond.

Elba would get tremendous negativity if he became Bond. It's just a harsh fact of life. There's a reason Anthony Horowitz said he was too street for Bond. It's the negative connotation due to the awful level of knife crime. Any anyway, Ian Fleming would have detested the idea of a black Bond. He'd hate any suggestion Bond was from the street. We have to accept something things should not be changed for politically correct reasons.

Fun fact: there will never be a black Bond, as Bond himself isn't black. Otherwise it'd be a different character, created by producers, not by Fleming.

Fun fact: there will never be a black Bond, as Bond himself isn't black. Otherwise it'd be a different character, created by producers, not by Fleming.

Fact: Bond himself isn't black. Otherwise it'd be a different character, created by producers, not by Fleming.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Fact: Bond himself isn't black. Otherwise it'd be a different character, created by producers, not by Fleming.

I would if Connery had said anything as virtuous as Dench had done, but he did not. In fact, nowadays Connery tends to keep himself to himself and his views somewhat guarded. Anyway, I’m offended that you’re offended. Let’s leave it at that.
    So you admit it was used in a derogatory manner.

We should indeed leave it at that, I know all I needed to know now.

Eitherway, 'The Dame' is talking utter bollocks! Bond himself isn't black. Otherwise it'd be a different character, created by producers, not by Fleming.

If Bond is to be black I reckon it will be a younger actor. It's not as if Idris Elba is the only black actor in the British film industry. Hold on... let me just check the acting industry website Spotlight:

(one minute later)

Hey, whaddya know... he is the only black actor in the British film industry!

:P

?width=323&version=3634715

If Bond is to be black I reckon it will be a younger actor. It's not as if Idris Elba is the only black actor in the British film industry. Hold on... let me just check the acting industry website Spotlight:

(one minute later)

Regarding his hat, shouldn't he have blue skin colour or at least identify as blue?

(one minute later)

If Bond was Black it wouldn’t be Bond.....because he’s a white character.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited April 2019 Posts: 7,988
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Dame Judi Dench: 'Idris Elba would make a brilliant James Bond'

Dame Judi Dench has joined the growing number of stars championing Idris Elba for the role of James Bond.

The Brit is at the top of fans' shortlists to take over as 007 when Daniel Craig steps down after one more movie, and the superspy's former boss thinks he would be "brilliant" as Bond.
    Dame Judi, who played MI6 chief 'M' in seven Bond films before her character was killed off in 2012's Skyfall, teased Idris about the role when the pair teamed up to film director Tom Hooper's Cats movie musical.

"I think he would be a brilliant Bond," the actress tells The Daily Telegraph. "When we filmed Cats he kept saying to me, 'Will you send me to the Heaviside layer (song from the musical)?' And at one point I turned to him and said 'No, I'll send you to MI6!'"
    Dench isn't so taken with another Bond contender, Richard Madden, telling the broadsheet, "I don't know Richard Madden.''

Ralph Fiennes, Dame Judi's replacement as Bond's boss on the big screen, has also given Idris' casting as 007 the thumbs up, telling British chat show host Lorraine Kelly the Thor star would make "a fantastic" James Bond.
    Elba has made it clear that he has no interest in becoming the first black Bond and recently revealed he has not had any conversations with Bond producers.

George Clooney is also a big fan of the casting, stating, "Idris Elba should be Bond, period. He's elegant, he's handsome, he's very... he should be Bond. I'm shocked that they haven't just offered it to him right now, he's the guy to do it. Mock up that poster!"cently revealed he has not had any conversations with Bond producers.

Am I the only one here matching the message and the date?
    Notice it's posted on the 1st of april?

Dame Judi Dench has joined the growing number of stars championing Idris Elba for the role of James Bond.

The Brit is at the top of fans' shortlists to take over as 007 when Daniel Craig steps down after one more movie, and the superspy's former boss thinks he would be "brilliant" as Bond.
    Dame Judi, who played MI6 chief 'M' in seven Bond films before her character was killed off in 2012's Skyfall, teased Idris about the role when the pair teamed up to film director Tom Hooper's Cats movie musical.

"I think he would be a brilliant Bond," the actress tells The Daily Telegraph. "When we filmed Cats he kept saying to me, 'Will you send me to the Heaviside layer (song from the musical)?' And at one point I turned to him and said 'No, I'll send you to MI6!'"
    Dench isn't so taken with another Bond contender, Richard Madden, telling the broadsheet, "I don't know Richard Madden.''

Ralph Fiennes, Dame Judi's replacement as Bond's boss on the big screen, has also given Idris' casting as 007 the thumbs up, telling British chat show host Lorraine Kelly the Thor star would make "a fantastic" James Bond.
    Elba has made it clear that he has no interest in becoming the first black Bond and recently revealed he has not had any conversations with Bond producers.

George Clooney is also a big fan of the casting, stating, "Idris Elba should be Bond, period. He's elegant, he's handsome, he's very... he should be Bond. I'm shocked that they haven't just offered it to him right now, he's the guy to do it. Mock up that poster!"cently revealed he has not had any conversations with Bond producers.

You mean Judi Dench was pranking the interviewer?
    I think some people are polite to placate the interviewer.

Kudos to Ralph as he went there but Judi clearly wasn't going to say anything controversial.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Richard Burton declined the role of Bond in McClory s Thunderball project (he would have been excellent), and the man who was actually cast until McClory accepted EONs offer instead, was Terence Cooper.
    3597-3051.jpg

Later seen in the 1967 CR spoof.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,747

Mini rant on insults: They're unpleasant in general (though like most people, I've resorted to them), but I especially don't like them when they attack something unrelated to whatever fault was committed by the recipient of the insult. In my country, fat people are often insulted with phrases in the form of "fat (curse word)". But their being fat has nothing to do with their (presumed) improper behavior. Just like being a grandma has nothing to do with Dench's PC comments.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mattjoes wrote: »

You mean Judi Dench was pranking the interviewer?

As in the whole story was made up? Or does Dame Judy really play in Cats with Idris, and did they for no reason whatsoever also invite George Cloony to comment?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Don't know why we're getting so worked up over the Dench thing? She was asked a question about an actor who she seems to like and work with becoming Bond, and responded with what pretty much amounts to "yeah sure I think he'd be good". She isn't virtue signalling and I don't think she would have really thought about his age, race, fame, the chances of it actually happening, all those factors. I doubt she really cares at all about any of that to be honest. She was just answering a question.

What people need to remember when celebrities are asked questions like this is that they're not as invested in Bond as we are so obviously they're not going to think about it in the same way we do. It was like when people were calling Ian Mckellen an idiot on here for "championing" (i.e. giving an autopilot response to an interview question) a gay Bond, or insertfemaleactorhere for saying there should be a woman one. Why are we bothered about these meaningless comments in fluff pieces from people who don't really care either way (and whose opinion will have no bearing on the actual casting)? They're just answering a question. It means nothing. Yet it always seems to end up being posted here prompting people to get worked up over it.
    Don't know why we're getting so worked up over the Dench thing? She was asked a question about an actor who she seems to like and work with becoming Bond, and responded with what pretty much amounts to "yeah sure I think he'd be good". She isn't virtue signalling and I don't think she would have really thought about his age, race, fame, the chances of it actually happening, all those factors. I doubt she really cares at all about any of that to be honest. She was just answering a question.

What people need to remember when celebrities are asked questions like this is that they're not as invested in Bond as we are so obviously they're not going to think about it in the same way we do. It was like when people were calling Ian Mckellen an idiot on here for "championing" (i.e. giving an autopilot response to an interview question) a gay Bond, or insertfemaleactorhere for saying there should be a woman one. Why are we bothered about these meaningless comments in fluff pieces from people who don't really care either way (and whose opinion will have no bearing on the actual casting)? They're just answering a question. It means nothing. Yet it always seems to end up being posted here prompting people to get worked up over it.

Bang on, thank you!

I think some just see it as another stick to beat this era with.

When we get to the next Bond and it all turns out he delivers all the wet dream scenarios some here have dreamed up in their head we can then look back on how awful this Daniel Craig debacle has been.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Richard Burton declined the role of Bond in McClory s Thunderball project (he would have been excellent), and the man who was actually cast until McClory accepted EONs offer instead, was Terence Cooper.
    3597-3051.jpg

Not sure Terence Cooper would've been right for the part. He seems a little lightweight in his line delivery. He also looks kind of like an archetypal Fifties Bond rather than a Sixties Bond, if that makes sense? Here's a compilation of Cooper's appearance as 007 in the "Casino Royale"(1967) spoof just before Connery quit. Judge for yourself...

3597-3051.jpg

Not sure Terence Cooper would've been right for the part. He seems a little lightweight in his line delivery. He also looks kind of like an archetypal Fifties Bond rather than a Sixties Bond, if that makes sense? Here's a compilation of Cooper's appearance as 007 in the "Casino Royale"(1967) spoof just before Connery quit. Judge for yourself...

He's certainly no Sean Connery.....but I think he's ok. Certainly better than some other 'nearly Bonds' (for example John Gavin or the 'wooden and very American' James Brolin screen test.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    Charlie Hunnam should be the next bond, that is all
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2019 Posts: 7,985
    skropper13 wrote: »

Zzzzzzzzz..... ;)

Yes, I know this is click bait and more of an advertisement for The Avengers:EG, but I think Hemsworth would be perfect for a more traditional Bond.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6898389/Chris-Hemsworth-reveals-hed-love-play-James-Bond-Daniel-Craig-leaves-role-007.html

He’s a wooden actor I’m afraid. His attempt to launch a franchise as a lead actor with King Arthur bombed badly...... a major box office flop. He has presence....but he’s an awful actor.
    talos7 wrote: »

Zzzzzzzzz..... ;)

Yes, I know this is click bait and more of an advertisement for The Avengers:EG, but I think Hemsworth would be perfect for a more traditional Bond.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6898389/Chris-Hemsworth-reveals-hed-love-play-James-Bond-Daniel-Craig-leaves-role-007.html

Again, Hemsworth has presence but he’s an average actor. It’s an automatic rejection for being Australian too. George Lazenbys main weak point was an inability to master an English accent. There’s plenty of British actors out there.