Comments

he wouldn't be aweful
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Risico007 wrote: »
    he wouldn't be aweful

Awful however?
    ;)
    I believe it was held against Rupert Friend last time around.

I remember when he was rumored. I think we made tremendous progress if now the gay actors we can think of as Bond are like Luke Evans and not Rupert Friend. Again, I don't think Evans has the right face for Bond, but if I didn't know he was gay he'd fool me and I think anybody else. In fact, if Evans was say in his early 30s and looked like Jason Isaacs or James Purefoy, I'd be the first to say let's cast Evans as Bond, anyone complaining about his sexual orientation be damned.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »

I remember when he was rumored. I think we made tremendous progress if now the gay actors we can think of as Bond are like Luke Evans and not Rupert Friend. Again, I don't think Evans has the right face for Bond, but if I didn't know he was gay he'd fool me and I think anybody else. In fact, if Evans was say in his early 30s and looked like Jason Isaacs or James Purefoy, I'd be the first to say let's cast Evans as Bond, anyone complaining about his sexual orientation be damned.

Friend is married to American athlete and actress Aimee Mullins? He’s not gay?
    he wouldn't be aweful

Awful however?
    ;)

He would be awful. As fake as his fake British accent when playing Thor.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »

I think people are confusing Rupert Everett with Rupert Friend. Friend is not gay. Everett is.
    he wouldn't be aweful

Awful however?
    ;)

He's definitely far from my #1 pick, indeed @suavejmf
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,677
    he wouldn't be aweful

Awful however?
    ;)

He's definitely far from my #1 pick, indeed @suavejmf

Hear, hear. Not another bruit in a suit, please. Not too many can pull that off. Craig could. Let's keep it at that. Time for a suave, stylish Bond to comeback.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can understand not wanting Hemsworth, although I do think he has potential.
    As far as Brute in a suit, it’s been pointed out that Hemsworth has to put in a tremendous amount of time an effort to achieve Thor proportions; he is naturally much lighter.
    I’m a Craig fan, but check out the Men in Black trailer, a trimmer Hemsworth wears a suit in spectacular style.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’d have no issue with Chris Hemsworth taking over from Daniel Craig.
    He’s a likeable and bankable actor, who would have a lot of bos potential.
    He might not be the most Fleming inspired choice, but when have EON gone 100% Fleming Bond?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I think people are confusing Rupert Everett with Rupert Friend. Friend is not gay. Everett is.

Yes, I meant Everett. He is no Friend. Sorry about that.

All is good and forgiven, friend. ;)
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,131

Ah right. No wonder then....Everett is camp as Christmas! No wonder the press had a field day. He’s sophisticated, but he’s camp.
    Benny wrote: »
    He might not be the most Fleming inspired choice, but when have EON gone 100% Fleming Bond?

I do. He’s got presence and charisma. But he’s a tad wooden, can’t pull off a British accent, too expensive and worst of all Australian. He’s not a Bond.

Sorry my mistake. Rupert Everett of course. Even his name is not manly. Luke Evans sounds much better. The only thing wrong apart from his age is his face. He looks way rougher than Craig, brutish even.

Sorry my mistake. Rupert Everett of course. Even his name is not manly. Luke Evans sounds much better. The only thing wrong apart from his age is his face. He looks way rougher than Craig, brutish even.

To me it's the other way around; Craig looks like the brutish one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    So I guess ultimately we’re looking for someone who falls between pretty boy and brutish? Lol

I do. He’s got presence and charisma. But he’s a tad wooden, can’t pull off a British accent, too expensive and worst of all Australian. He’s not a Bond.
    This is the crux of the matter. His salary will just be too high for Eon. Unlike Craig, whose salary increased over his tenure, Hemsworth would start off on a big paycheck as an already established A-lister. I just don't see this as the way the producers would want to start off a new chapter of Bond.

To me it's the other way around; Craig looks like the brutish one.

I think Evans looks far more thuggish. But acting skills wise he'd be perfect. Heck he could give virility lessons to a lot of actors.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

And this is wrong because?

edited April 2019 Posts: 5,131

And this is wrong because?

Because he's not British (like Bond) and he can't pull of the accent.

As a sweeping generalisation many Australians call British people ‘Poms’… And some also ‘whinging poms’ and as a general culture they aren't particularly pro-Britain. Again, I am massively generalising, but there is a definite rivalry. So I'd rather have a British actor. I've certainly experienced the 'chip on the shoulder attitude' of Australians to Brits (totally unprovoked). It's largely friendly, but it's there nevertheless.

For example, the worse points of Lazenby were his 'odd accent' (as Bond) and his odd walk (in the words of Peter Hunt "Stop that Australian swagger, walk like Prince Phillip".
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Aidan's tired of all the candidates mentioned

bdae273e9208ecf745f8615ecdbe25bd.jpg

(new film Love is Blind)

Agreed... the more I think about Hemsworth the more I am ok with it... don't get me wrong he is not in top 5 (his comic book brother Hiddleston ironically enough still is inspite of Swift) I rank him 6 or 7 right under

1. Fassbender
    2. Hardy
    3. Hiddleston
    4. Cavill
    5. Cillian Murphey
    6. Chris Hemsworth

After that I don't know I don't follow to much these days
    You know? We keep mentioning those names... None of them will ever be cast.

I say this to turner fans but they ignore me
    Who knows when we will be getting Bond #7? Probably halfway into the 2020s. All of those will be too old by then, and probably too famous for Eon to pick.

The downside of having a famous actor cast as Bond is that people already know the actor so perceptions and expectations will be drawn, the actor will outshine the character. Something we definitely don't want. That's why I believe they'll be going for a relatively unknown actor, and it won't be some BBC soap actor or a Harry Potter alumni in the role.
    Who knows when we will be getting Bond #7? Probably halfway into the 2020s. All of those will be too old by then, and probably too famous for Eon to pick.

The downside of having a famous actor cast as Bond is that people already know the actor so perceptions and expectations will be drawn, the actor will outshine the character. Something we definitely don't want. That's why I believe they'll be going for a relatively unknown actor, and it won't be some BBC soap actor or a Harry Potter alumni in the role.

It will be Turner. Mark these words.

A lot of them are already too old now.

It will be Turner. Mark these words.

he will be too old by then