Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Risico007 wrote: »
    You know? We keep mentioning those names... None of them will ever be cast.
    I say this to turner fans but they ignore me
    Who knows when we will be getting Bond #7? Probably halfway into the 2020s. All of those will be too old by then, and probably too famous for Eon to pick.

The downside of having a famous actor cast as Bond is that people already know the actor so perceptions and expectations will be drawn, the actor will outshine the character. Something we definitely don't want. That's why I believe they'll be going for a relatively unknown actor, and it won't be some BBC soap actor or a Harry Potter alumni in the role.
    It will be Turner. Mark these words.
    Five more years and the chap will be 40. And if fate smiles to his face, it will be a "now or never" moment for him. Otherwise, there will be no chance. Just like the case was for Clive Owen back in the day, and Michael Fassbender after him.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    You know? We keep mentioning those names... None of them will ever be cast.
    I say this to turner fans but they ignore me
    Who knows when we will be getting Bond #7? Probably halfway into the 2020s. All of those will be too old by then, and probably too famous for Eon to pick.

The downside of having a famous actor cast as Bond is that people already know the actor so perceptions and expectations will be drawn, the actor will outshine the character. Something we definitely don't want. That's why I believe they'll be going for a relatively unknown actor, and it won't be some BBC soap actor or a Harry Potter alumni in the role.
    A lot of them are already too old now.
    That extends to Fantastic Beasts actors too which is part of the Harry Potter franchise.
    40 is the perfect age for James Bond. Pierce was 42 in GE. This young "insert hero name" mania has to stop at some point. Its ridiculous, IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Univex wrote: »
    40 is the perfect age for James Bond. Pierce was 42 in GE. This young "insert hero name" mania has to stop at some point. Its ridiculous, IMO.

It is the perfect age...when the series was cranking them out every other year consistently. Nowadays? We'll be lucky to get two, three installments in max before the actor hits 50.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It is the perfect age...when the series was cranking them out every other year consistently. Nowadays? We'll be lucky to get two, three installments in max before the actor hits 50.
    +1. My point exactly!

Well said. In addition let's get back to a new film every two years so that 40 year old could feasibly have 5 films in him during that decade.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Craig was the youngest Bond at 38 during CR. He will look at least 5 years older than Turner, by that time. Turner is 35 now and indeed time is always ticking, but he will be (still) the perfect candidate by then, age wise, everything else wise. I reckon we will need to get used to Turner, as it's written in the ancient prophetic Fleming scrolls, somewhere.

P.S. We're not looking for Bond jr. either, gents.
    Tom Holland would be perfect for that role. :D
    Craig was the youngest Bond at 38 during CR. He will look at least 5 years older than Turner, by that time. Turner is 35 now and indeed time is always ticking, but he will be (still) the perfect candidate by then, age wise, everything else wise. I reckon we will need to get used to Turner, as it's written in the ancient prophetic Fleming scrolls, somewhere.

Negative, both Connery and Lazenby were younger when they started filming.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This is true, but both Sean and George looked a decade older. For whatever reason, diet, exercise, sunscreen, etc, people look younger today

I stand corrected, I was aware of this, probably too much tanning today. Ha ha. However as @talos7 rightfully shares, they looked quite a bit older than their age, especially Connery.

All in all, relatively Turner looks still very young, yet in a good way.
    +1. My point exactly!

+2. And when they cast a man in his fourties, even youthful looking like Moore or Brosnan, there's a very high chance that time will catch up with them quickly. Then you suddenly have an ageing Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I stand corrected, I was aware of this, probably too much tanning today. Ha ha. However as @talos7 rightfully shares, they looked quite a bit older than their age, especially Connery.

Lazenby was 29 (he looked 40) and Connery was 33 (he looked 40). Craig was 38 (he looked 40). Moore was 45 (he looked 40).....there's a pattern here.

Really. Turner looks late 30's.....which is fine for Bond.
    I think Turner looks younger... But he can age quickly.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    5. Cillian Murphey

I strongly disagree with this candidate. He's effete looking. Hemsworth isn't a great choice, but is better than Murphy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Some around here say he is too fresh faced, but in 5 years he'll be too old?

I actually think a few more years will do his chances good, not harm.

Murphy is a great actor. But he’s not a Bond. He doesn’t have the look for an out and out leading man.
    Murphy's definitely too old for the role but I enjoy his work so much, I'm a bit biased and could totally get behind the idea of him playing Bond. Won't happen, but it's certainly an intriguing thought to me.
    large.jpg

Who said this guy was a wimp, a skinny pretty boy who couldn't trow a punch? Plus, those eyebrows scream Bond. I still say Turner's the best candidate, now or in five years.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Kamran Shah Jr! ;)
    large.jpg

Who said this guy was a wimp, a skinny pretty boy who couldn't trow a punch? Plus, those eyebrows scream Bond. I still say Turner's the best candidate, now or in five years.

We're brothers in arms in this matter @Univex. Agreed on all counts.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,869
    100%! Aiden Turner would be the ideal candidate :D

0cef965174657685d33294e7bc432731.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I’d have no issue with Chris Hemsworth taking over from Daniel Craig.
    He’s a likeable and bankable actor, who would have a lot of bos potential.
    He might not be the most Fleming inspired choice, but when have EON gone 100% Fleming Bond?

I do. He’s got presence and charisma. But he’s a tad wooden, can’t pull off a British accent, too expensive and worst of all Australian. He’s not a Bond.

And this is wrong because?

Because he's not British (like Bond) and he can't pull of the accent.

As a sweeping generalisation many Australians call British people ‘Poms’… And some also ‘whinging poms’ and as a general culture they aren't particularly pro-Britain. Again, I am massively generalising, but there is a definite rivalry. So I'd rather have a British actor. I've certainly experienced the 'chip on the shoulder attitude' of Australians to Brits (totally unprovoked). It's largely friendly, but it's there nevertheless.

For example, the worse points of Lazenby were his 'odd accent' (as Bond) and his odd walk (in the words of Peter Hunt "Stop that Australian swagger, walk like Prince Phillip".

Well as a Brit who's lived in Australia for 20 years now I can safely say, Aussies do call us Poms. But it's more an affectionate term than anything offensive. Even whinging poms isn't far off the mark much of the time. I've never encountered any Australian with a chip on their shoulder either. You must've had a run of bad luck with your Aussie interactions ;)
    I can tell you the late Heath Ledger was considered for Bond in the early 2000's. Around 2004/05 I worked in the same centre as Heath's mum. Being a general movie fan and seeing him from time to time we spoke about movies. She said that he had, had a meeting with EON about Bond in LA. At the time I didn't see it myself. But it goes to show that they're not only considering the future. But also see various actors for the role.
    Personally I think George Lazenby did a fine job considering his inexperience. I see no reason that an Australian actor shouldn't be considered.
    Cubby was reportedly going to offer the role to Mel Gibson in the late 80's (I'm guessing for TLD) which I think would've been a terrible choice. But it was seen as being a good idea due to Gibson's popularity. Though his high price tag was high, the financial benefit would've apparently outweighed that. At the end of the day movie making is still a business. If a well known actor is hired to play Bond, then the BO would have to reflect that. Someone like Hemsworth might not be a fans ideal Bond, but as a business reason, could be vastly rewarding.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Murphy is a great actor. But he’s not a Bond. He doesn’t have the look for an out and out leading man.

I was referring to Turner.

I was referring to Turner.

Ah right. IMO Turner looks like a Bond.
    I’d have no issue with Chris Hemsworth taking over from Daniel Craig.
    He’s a likeable and bankable actor, who would have a lot of bos potential.
    He might not be the most Fleming inspired choice, but when have EON gone 100% Fleming Bond?

I do. He’s got presence and charisma. But he’s a tad wooden, can’t pull off a British accent, too expensive and worst of all Australian. He’s not a Bond.

And this is wrong because?

Because he's not British (like Bond) and he can't pull of the accent.

As a sweeping generalisation many Australians call British people ‘Poms’… And some also ‘whinging poms’ and as a general culture they aren't particularly pro-Britain. Again, I am massively generalising, but there is a definite rivalry. So I'd rather have a British actor. I've certainly experienced the 'chip on the shoulder attitude' of Australians to Brits (totally unprovoked). It's largely friendly, but it's there nevertheless.

For example, the worse points of Lazenby were his 'odd accent' (as Bond) and his odd walk (in the words of Peter Hunt "Stop that Australian swagger, walk like Prince Phillip".

Well as a Brit who's lived in Australia for 20 years now I can safely say, Aussies do call us Poms. But it's more an affectionate term than anything offensive. Even whinging poms isn't far off the mark much of the time. I've never encountered any Australian with a chip on their shoulder either. You must've had a run of bad luck with your Aussie interactions ;)
    I can tell you the late Heath Ledger was considered for Bond in the early 2000's. Around 2004/05 I worked in the same centre as Heath's mum. Being a general movie fan and seeing him from time to time we spoke about movies. She said that he had, had a meeting with EON about Bond in LA. At the time I didn't see it myself. But it goes to show that they're not only considering the future. But also see various actors for the role.
    Personally I think George Lazenby did a fine job considering his inexperience. I see no reason that an Australian actor shouldn't be considered.
    Cubby was reportedly going to offer the role to Mel Gibson in the late 80's (I'm guessing for TLD) which I think would've been a terrible choice. But it was seen as being a good idea due to Gibson's popularity. Though his high price tag was high, the financial benefit would've apparently outweighed that. At the end of the day movie making is still a business. If a well known actor is hired to play Bond, then the BO would have to reflect that. Someone like Hemsworth might not be a fans ideal Bond, but as a business reason, could be vastly rewarding.

Lazenby did a good job. But IMO his accent was all over the place. The issue with an Aussie as a Bond.
    I thought he did Sir Hilary's accent perfectly .
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,131
    barryt007 wrote: »

Ha ha ha! Tactically adjusted to favour me!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha! Tactically adjusted to favour me!
    Well played, sir. Well played. :))
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 6,677
    These two would do nicely for the cast of Bond26.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnT9Q42kxN6CKQIRmQ5VqyYqJ0OU69_MvfAvJn7RrO_2ZY10gn

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5e14601a-5f79-11e8-a5a8-017dcfd37dc1.jpg?crop=2107%2C1185%2C277%2C243&resize=685

aidan-turner-photos-06.jpg?w=1024&h=711

Just shave that damn beard you Y gen idiot.
    :)