Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Michael Caine did a great educational video called MICHAEL CAINE: ACTING IN FILM in which he instructed a group of young aspiring actors in the art of film acting. He was very specific about subtly, camera angles and described film acting as an operation with a laser, whereas theater acting is an operation with a scalpel. Great analogy, IMO.

And yet even Michael Caine got his start in theater, which suggests that before what to operate with, one had better learn how to operate first, and for an actor the most valuable place for that education is the theater. I think your earlier post made an excellent case why.

And now that we've brought up Caine I have to share this:

In response to some of Tuulia's points:

--Screen actors go back on the boards in New York and London because they are where the important critics, industry folk, and most sophisticated audiences are. If you want to prove that you can carry an evening performance in a challenging part, those are places where you'll get the largest and most committed audiences.

--The results of casting on looks are much less bad onscreen, especially if the camera loves their looks. Barbara Bach in TSWLM is an example. It is easy to forgive a bad performance in the sight of great beauty.

--Versatility is usually the goal of theatrical training, which is usually more rigorous, and since theater casting is less reliant on looks, actors are less prone to typecasting.

--Theater acting tends to give an actor a greater box of tools, which can be easily calibrated for the (overstated) difference in screen acting. It doesn't usually work the other way. And even in film an actor works before an audience, whether it consists entirely or partially of his fellow actors, the technicians, the director, or the camera.

--Yes, the camera can capture subtle acting in close-ups, especially in the eyes, since it's true that not everyone can sit in the front row in a theater. And yet Olivier said his eyes were one of his most important attributes as an actor, and he was not referring solely to screen acting. An actor acts for all rows--if he or she doesn't, they act badly. To scale back and act for the metaphorical front row of the camera simply requires an adjustment of powers already gained.

I'll now try to get back to Bond. As noted earlier, theatrical training is something every Bond but Lazenby had, and while he did a fine job at several points in the picture (including the end), it's universally acknowledged that his performance had some problems. If he did better than expected, he also had the assistance of a director who was also a master editor. And Hunt also had Lazenby dubbed at Piz Gloria, which suggests a lack of confidence in some areas. In any case, I'm 99% sure that the next Bond will have had some theatrical training.

And, putting aside the theater versus film question, the role of Bond undoubtedly requires a good degree of acting talent. Here's what Sidney Lumet said about Sean Connery: "When you look at the Bond characterization, everybody says, ‘Oh, well he’s just charming.’ Well s***, that’s like saying Cary Grant was just charming. There is more acting skill in playing that kind of character. What he’s doing, stylistically, is playing high comedy. And that is extremely difficult to do, which is why there are so few of those actors, so few Cary Grants and Sean Connerys. But it’s acting, don’t kid yourself."
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,601
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @Germanlady; I thought DC’s face wasn’t tampered with, but, he did appear as if he was enjoying his “downtime”. Once people quit booze (sugars), weight loss is immediate. Looks like Mr. Craig is getting ready for something big!
    That was nice of him,and yes @Germanlady ,he is looking his old self again,which is great news.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed, that was nice of him. And he looks great here. Good to see him back on track, again.
    Wow! Really impressed! He looks so much better.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,185
    And two weeks ago everyone was hyperventilating over nothing.
    I hope some people will remember this next time something like that comes up,
    but who am i kidding...
    Ludovico wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    So ultimately, I don't think it's necessary but I don't have a problem with them going that route. Just make sure your actor is versatile (not all theatre actors are) and makes sure he can command the small screen with his presence as well.

Is being versatile really the point. Does Bond require a good actor, or just someone who might be the worst actor imaginable, but they for some reason, are popular with the audience? Not aimed at any Bond actor, but a genuine question that popped into my head when I read your post.

I think Lazenby proved in the past that you don't need to be a great actor (some would say Moore & Brosnan too) ,but I think now that Craig is seen as Bond then the next actor will need to match that calibre.

That's true. Lazenby wasn't an actor, but got by on his charisma and natural toughness.

But this was after the fact: during his short tenure he was not popular as Bond. And while he grew in the role his inexperience often shows.
    In what way was Lazenby not popular? The movie did very good business back in 69-70.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    So ultimately, I don't think it's necessary but I don't have a problem with them going that route. Just make sure your actor is versatile (not all theatre actors are) and makes sure he can command the small screen with his presence as well.

Is being versatile really the point. Does Bond require a good actor, or just someone who might be the worst actor imaginable, but they for some reason, are popular with the audience? Not aimed at any Bond actor, but a genuine question that popped into my head when I read your post.

I think Lazenby proved in the past that you don't need to be a great actor (some would say Moore & Brosnan too) ,but I think now that Craig is seen as Bond then the next actor will need to match that calibre.

That's true. Lazenby wasn't an actor, but got by on his charisma and natural toughness.

But this was after the fact: during his short tenure he was not popular as Bond. And while he grew in the role his inexperience often shows.
    In what way was Lazenby not popular? The movie did very good business back in 69-70.
    I don't think it was as popular (relatively speaking) in the US in comparison to what came before and what followed. There was a notable dip. Overall global gross was also down in comparison to YOLT, TB, DAF & LALD.

EDIT: Profitability was also down in comparison to the films which came after (although Connery's charity got a large chunk of money for DAF).
    What @bondjames said. Of course it's a bit unfair as there was at the time only one point of comparison to Lazenby but there you go.

The movie was more popular than Lazenby--even critics who praised him did so grudgingly. And though it did very well, grosses were disappointing compared to YOLT's. And when Connery returned Lazenby was forgotten about. Had Lazenby continued in the role things would have been different, but for a long time he was regarded by the public as a failure. Most of the casual Bond fans in my family and elsewhere used to completely dismiss him. OHMSS's reputation began rising steadily in the 90s, and so did Lazenby's, but before then only cultists thought highly of him.

Ok. I see, so we're talking retrospectively about Lazenby, not during his own solo tenure then? Just a side note, but the critics weren't as influential back then as they are today. I wish people wouldn't keep bring up the critical response as a reason why a film performed badly during the Sixties or Seventies. It just wasn't the case. Otherwise, all of Eastwood's movies would have bombed along with half a dozen other BO successes. Even the acid-tongued Pauline Kael didn't stick the boot in on the movie's original release, other than calling Lazenby "quite a dull fellow" and she wasn't particularly complimentary about the screenplay either, adding: "the script, by Richard Maibaum, isn't much." Though she does go on to say "but the movie is exciting, anyway. In some ways, it's the most dazzling of the series up to this time." The reason why I've included Kael, which some of you might not be aware of, is that she was the American big-cheese New York film critic of the time and she had quite the following. Not that she would've necessarily influenced those in other parts of America. I just think it's a bit sticky trying to unravel how audiences viewed a movie if you weren't there to experience it for yourself. Though I agree that OHMSS was unfairly maligned by its own studio and staff once Connery and Moore took over afterwards, which only added to its reputation as being a bit of a dud.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Ok. I see, so we're talking retrospectively about Lazenby, not during his own solo tenure then? Just a side note, but the critics weren't as influential back then as they are today. I wish people wouldn't keep bring up the critical response as a reason why a film performed badly during the Sixties or Seventies. It just wasn't the case. Otherwise, all of Eastwood's movies would have bombed along with half a dozen other BO successes. Even the acid-tongued Pauline Kael didn't stick the boot in on the movie's original release, other than calling Lazenby "quite a dull fellow" and she wasn't particularly complimentary about the screenplay either, adding: "the script, by Richard Maibaum, isn't much." Though she does go on to say "but the movie is exciting, anyway. In some ways, it's the most dazzling of the series up to this time." The reason why I've included Kael, which some of you might not be aware of, is that she was the American big-cheese New York film critic of the time and she had quite the following. Not that she would've necessarily influenced those in other parts of America. I just think it's a bit sticky trying to unravel how audiences viewed a movie if you weren't there to experience it for yourself. Though I agree that OHMSS was unfairly maligned by its own studio and staff once Connery and Moore took over afterwards, which only added to its reputation as being a bit of a dud.

My shelves at home include half a dozen books of Kael's reviews. She was a great writer with an encyclopaedic knowledge of cinema. Sometimes unfair, usually controversial, but she trod her own path.
    She was fulsome with praise for the 1976 King Kong when everyone else hated it. Yet she tore into popular films like Doctor Shivago and The Sound Of Music.

A true one off.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,896
    Just a side note, but the critics weren't as influential back then as they are today.

I think the opposite is true. Critics were far more influential back then because there were fewer media outlets before the internet. People make a big deal of Rotten Tomatoes nowadays, but in 1969 folks relied more on the opinions of a smaller number of critics, almost all in newspapers and magazines, and there were a smaller number of these as well. This meant that individual critics counted more, whereas today people rely on the consensus grade given by Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritics.
    Even the acid-tongued Pauline Kael didn't stick the boot in on the movie's original release...The reason why I've included Kael, which some of you might not be aware of, is that she was the American big-cheese New York film critic of the time and she had quite the following.

Kael was also a genuine fan of the Bond films (unlike many other highbrow critics and her rival Andrew Sarris). She loved the Connery Bonds and Connery himself--"With the glorious exceptions of Brando and Olivier, there's no screen actor I'd rather watch than Sean Connery. His vitality may make him the most richly masculine of all English-speaking actors." She evidently grew to like OHMSS more over time; when she reviewed DAF she said OHMSS was "otherwise topnotch."

Kael was a very highly regarded critic among the intelligentsia (and rightfully so, I love her writing), but she wrote for a magazine, The New Yorker, that didn't have a mass readership. She even said her influence was much less than that of the critics for The New York Times, who were read by far more people. The NYT critic who reviewed OHMSS wrote that Lazenby was a "casual, pleasant, satisfactory replacement" (faint praise); the NYT critic who reviewed DAF was so happy about Connery's return that he called OHMSS the worst Bond film. I think those attitudes sum up the critical and popular attitude treatment of Lazenby, who received grudging praise at best in 1969 and was reviled and forgotten afterward, in the wake of Connery's return and Moore's tenure (to his credit, Moore always spoke highly of OHMSS).
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,469
    I realize this deviates from the posts before it, but I thought it worth posting if you hadn't seen or heard it before, and maybe it bears repeating, because I think Roger Moore was talking truth when he told the Daily Mail in 2015, "I have heard people talk about how there should be a lady Bond or a gay Bond. But they wouldn't be Bond for the simple reason that wasn't what Ian Fleming wrote. It is not about being homophobic or, for that matter, racist--it is simply about being true to the character." I totally agree.

Of course, Barbara Broccoli told the paper late last year "anything is possible" regarding changes to the character after the Craig era. And Craig basically agreed. But I think Moore was right on. Not everything has to change with the times and "political correctness". Doing so would violate the inherent nature and impression of a character that was created and had the same sex, ethnicity and basically the same habits throughout Fleming's original literary run. If that changes, it wouldn't be Bond to me, even if it is to Broccoli. Things change in life, but not everything does--some things are always the way the way they've always been, because of their inherent nature.

A few examples showing many Americans still want what they want, even if these things are said by segments of "society" to be bad in whole or in excess. U.S. gun ownership stats show a slight drop-off since the early 1970's, but apparently one in three households now has at least one gun. Despite the dangers and stigma of smoking, about 15% of Americans say they still smoke, though that's down from previous years. And in the last two decades, Americans have been drinking more alcohol, especially more wine and hard liquor. Bond would appreciate knowing these things, but likely he wouldn't care and would just do his own thing...like many of his fans, I think. By the way, I think it's a great photo of Roger in the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3288147/Bond-row-looms-Roger-Moore-says-007-t-gay-woman-Star-88-says-political-correctness-not-considered.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nice to see him giving a nod to Dalton. If true, that is.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,981
    I must admit that I scoffed at the suggestion of Nicholas Hoult, but recent photos are making me begin to reconsider; he’s a good actor and seems to be growing into his looks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5627359/Nicholas-Hoult-welcomed-child-model-girlfriend-Bryana-Holly.html
    He looks a tad too soft on the DM pictures.
    Here is a henchman for bond.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    I must admit that I scoffed at the suggestion of Nicholas Hoult, but recent photos are making me begin to reconsider; he’s a good actor and seems to be growing into his looks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5627359/Nicholas-Hoult-welcomed-child-model-girlfriend-Bryana-Holly.html
    I'm afraid I'm still scoffing. I've never seen the appeal in this guy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Like 60's Dalton and 80's Brosnan, Hoult still needs to age a few more years. Maybe wait to see what he looks like at 40.
    001 wrote: »
    Here is a henchman for bond.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good guy, you mean!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

No. Just no to Hoult.
    suavejmf wrote: »

No. Just no to Hoult.

Agreed....he is a bit of a wet fart atm...have a look in another 5 years (or more ).

Nice to see him giving a nod to Dalton. If true, that is.

"James Bond legend Sir Roger Moore has courted controversy by insisting that 007 could never be portrayed as a gay man – or be played by a woman.

Sir Roger, who has previously come under fire for questioning whether the spy could be played by a black actor such as Idris Elba, risks a further backlash over his latest comments.

He said: ‘I have heard people talk about how there should be a lady Bond or a gay Bond. But they wouldn’t be Bond for the simple reason that wasn’t what Ian Fleming wrote"

Back lash for common sense. Laughable.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Like I said,growING into his looks
    Revelator wrote: »
    Just a side note, but the critics weren't as influential back then as they are today.

I think the opposite is true. Critics were far more influential back then because there were fewer media outlets before the internet. People make a big deal of Rotten Tomatoes nowadays, but in 1969 folks relied more on the opinions of a smaller number of critics, almost all in newspapers and magazines, and there were a smaller number of these as well. This meant that individual critics counted more, whereas today people rely on the consensus grade given by Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritics.
    I'm not sure of your age @Revelator? Are you talking from firsthand experience or are just making an assumption? If what you say was true then as I pointed out before, Psycho, Bonnie and Clyde, 2001 and Dirty Harry would have all flopped based on their poor critical reviews. As would have many other movies of that same period. I'm sure critics carried some sway in the late Sixties, but nothing like they would have done in the Thirties when their reviews could've killed a movie stone dead. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Kael was also a genuine fan of the Bond films (unlike many other highbrow critics and her rival Andrew Sarris). She loved the Connery Bonds and Connery himself--"With the glorious exceptions of Brando and Olivier, there's no screen actor I'd rather watch than Sean Connery. His vitality may make him the most richly masculine of all English-speaking actors." She evidently grew to like OHMSS more over time; when she reviewed DAF she said OHMSS was "otherwise topnotch."
    Informative @Revelator. I had a few books by Pauline Kael in the late 80s. The reviews for the Bond movies were not what I would've called written by a "genuine fan". I seem to recollect that her review for Dr. No wasn't particularly glowing apart from praise for Connery holding the screen. She seemed to soften her stance by the time of YOLT and OHMSS. Of course, Kael's retrospective "otherwise topnotch" comment about OHMSS would not have helped its BO by the time of DAF's release. If indeed Kael's reviews influenced anyone at all, much like other movie critics of the time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    There is doubt over another Mad Max due to legal disputes. If Venom ends up not doing well later on in the year, Tom Hardy would be free of any big franchise. Not to mention he is teaming up with Josh Thank (of Fant4stic fame), so his star might be in need of a boost in a couple years time.
    There is doubt over another Mad Max due to legal disputes. If Venom ends up not doing well later on in the year, Tom Hardy would be free of any big franchise. Not to mention he is teaming up with Josh Thank (of Fant4stic fame), so his star might be in need of a boost in a couple years time.

He’ll need his legs lengthening at 5ft 8 in tall.
    I'm not sure of your age @Revelator? Are you talking from firsthand experience or are just making an assumption? If what you say was true then as I pointed out before, Psycho, Bonnie and Clyde, 2001 and Dirty Harry would have all flopped based on their poor critical reviews.

I wasn't alive during the 60s or 70s, but my assumptions are based on my knowledge of film history and criticism. In the case of Bonnie and Clyde for example, Pauline Kael's rave review is legendary for making other critics reconsider their stance (like Joe Morgenstern at the Washington Post) and it helped publicize the movie. Beyond that, it's always been possible for big Hollywood movies with large advertising budgets and good word of mouth to overcome bad reviews. But I'm not convinced that Psycho, 2001, or Dirty Harry received uniformly bad reviews. They had some high profile detractors, but they don't necessarily represent the critical consensus (or even that of New York and LA). Kael for example was among the first to label Dirty Harry fascist, but the country was in a conservative mood (Nixon's landslide re-election was around the corner) and primed to make the film a hit.
    I had a few books by Pauline Kael in the late 80s. The reviews for the Bond movies were not what I would've called written by a "genuine fan".

Like many original Bond fans, Kael wasn't very fond of Roger Moore. But she still praised TSWLM as a "triumph" and was positive about OP. And it should be taken into account that in the 1960s lots of highbrow critics, such as Sarris, dismissed the Bond films as Hitchcock ripoffs. Kael by contrast said she loved them on one occasion. I don't recall her ever mentioning Dr. No, but she did call FRWL "exciting, handsomely staged, and campy." TB was "Not bad, but not quite top-grade Bond. A little too much underwater war-ballet" and YOLT was "probably the most consistently entertaining of the Bond packages up to the time." OHMSS was "marvelous fun," "exciting," and "the director, Peter Hunt, is a wizard at action sequences, particularly an ethereal ski chase that you know is a classic while you're goggling at it, and a mean, fast bobsled chase that is shot and edited like nothing I've ever seen before."