Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Of the two I think of the two most who had been plebiscited in the vein of Brosnan whom both fans and non-fans wanted as Bond are Clive Owen and Michael Fassbender. Can't recall others who would've resulted in that sort of consensus among the public.
    As for Fassbender, that suggestion deserves a Selwyn Froggit.
    I take it you're not a fan of the chap, Major?
    Selwyn Froggitt:

billmaynard.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

(2 thumbs up)

Fassbender has the right blend of smoothness and ruggedness, not too much of either. Definitely a missed opportunity.
    I thought you were referring to the Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt! part. :))

I agree. Both Owen and Fassbender are missed opportunities. But, at least we've got Fassbender's likeness for Bond in the recent [faithful] graphic novel adaptation of CR.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    At the slow rate that they're now making these Bond movies @Ludovico, I don't think the next actor has likely been born yet!! Aidan Turner will simply be too old by the time B26 rolls into production.

Exactly. Craig's upcoming kid could be the next Bond.

My son is one and a half and already a womanizer. At the optician he grabbed the bottom of a good looking woman and she thought he was very cute. I think he's got some chances. He's also a natural actor and a natural fighter.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about Turner. Not against him but definitely not convinced.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'm ambivalent too, but I would definitely take him over the incumbent. I'm pretty much done with the Craig era, Boyle or no Boyle. Time for a fresh start imho.

True. The scary thing is, we may end up waiting 5-6 years for a final craig film and then another 5-6 years while they find an actor to take over, rather then just use the extra time NOW to find an actor rather than drag us through the dirt AGAIN after B25.

I don't think this will happen but just throwing it out as a (crazy) idea...

What if someone new came along and was mega-cheap to hire? Say, less than 100 thousand dollars to hire and Bond 25's release date got dragged out beyond 2019? You could argue for Craig to be paid a percentage of his fee (let's say 10 - 25 percent, perhaps more), he's released from his one picture contract and EON/MGM save money casting the new actor! If Bond 25 were to be delayed until 2020 I think recasting, saving the cash, would make sense.

Timothy Dalton was going to be make a third Bond film and it didn't happen. John Gavin was signed up for Diamonds Are Forever. Pierce Brosnan was signed up for The Living Daylights. Things can change so it's not impossible to think a long delay could result in recasting the role.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,093
    peter wrote: »

Cheers, I was waiting for that. So it looks like Aidan will have 5 series of Poldark just like Brosnan did with Remington Steele. People say Craig is like the next Dalton in terms of having that hard edged realistic approach. Turner could follow in Brosnans shoes as a crowd pleaser, if he is picked.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I know this might have been brought up but I'm really keen to see James Norton as craig's successor
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm close to accepting anyone, even Tom Hiddleston, just to break the deadlock and freshen the films up once again. A 5 year gap with Craig, shouldn't be an option, 4 is pushing it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm close to accepting anyone, even Tom Hiddleston, just to break the deadlock and freshen the films up once again. A 5 year gap with Craig, shouldn't be an option, 4 is pushing it.
    You're a good man @MajorDSmythe.

I think Hiddleston could nail Bond x always have x but it needs to be soon !
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,894
    barryt007 wrote: »

I think Hiddleston could nail Bond x always have x but it needs to be soon !

I'm still not convinced by Hiddleston, but the longer this drags on, the more I am willing to give him a chance.

And it isn't like I am turning against Craig, because I have never really been on side with his casting. I kept my mouth shut when he was cast, to see what he would be like, but he wasn't my choice, and he never had a film that truly won me over. So I am more than ready for a new era, ditching the dreary drama, for films that are 100% comfortable with being Bond films (whether they have a romance/action/spy thriller slant). And with an actor that has the balls to stand up for the character, whenever his personality traits are questioned.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,093
    Aidan has broken the silence. Confirms he is interested in playing Bond after Craig. Best news we've had in months.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5689187/amp/Aidan-Turner-finally-breaks-silence-replacing-Daniel-Craig-James-Bond.html
    Aidan has broken the silence. Confirms he is interested in playing Bond after Craig. Best news we've had in months.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5689187/amp/Aidan-Turner-finally-breaks-silence-replacing-Daniel-Craig-James-Bond.html

Shame they couldn't get him in for B25,at least it would speed the transition up.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185

"There’s someone else playing the role at the moment but when it’s free I’ll have a look at it."

"You're a cocky little bastard aren't you?"
    He certainly has the right attitude, and I would very much like to see him in the role i just hope he doesn't talk to much about it from here on, as it usually seems to diminish peoples chances.
    00Agent wrote: »

"There’s someone else playing the role at the moment but when it’s free I’ll have a look at it."

"You're a cocky little bastard aren't you?"
    He certainly has the right attitude, and I would very much like to see him in the role i just hope he doesn't talk to much about it from here on, as it usually seems to diminish peoples chances.

I have to give it to him: however unconvinced I am about him as Bond he's playing his cards right. Charlie What's-his-name came off as way too eager.
    The Daily Mail user comments are up to their usual high standard. :P
    Pert Shampoo, Sydney, Australia, 9 hours ago

How about David Beckham or Daniel Radcliffe ?

fanbond123 wrote: »

David Beckham ??!!

Piss off.

David Beckham ??!!

Piss off.
    I’d really sooner cast Del Boy Trotter as Bond myself!

David Beckham ??!!

Piss off.
    I’d really sooner cast Del Boy Trotter as Bond myself!

I'd rather cast Grandad even !

latest?cb=20100904211329

Shame they couldn't get him in for B25,at least it would speed the transition up.
    Indeed. I'd be ok with Turner. I prefer him to Norton, personally.

Indeed. I'd be ok with Turner. I prefer him to Norton, personally.

Oh I do as well,a lot more,i think he has potential and is only 34.
    But they would need to get rid of Craig NOW imo .

Turner could start as soon as Poldark series 5 is filmed.

Don't give them any idea.I'm still outraged about that Robbie Williams rumour from about 20 years.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185

These people apparently only want a Bond poster with Beckham instead of a movie, because a professional photoshoot is pretty much all you could hope to get from the guy.

On the other hand, and i will probably get banned for life from this forum for saying this lol, but i totally would not mind Daniel Radcliffe as Bond :))

And that has purely selfish reasons, which are that i get constantly told i look like him, even by total strangers, going as far as one waitress flipping out in a restaurant and almost asking me for an autograph before i convinced her i am not him. Personally i don't see the resemblence but whatever.
    Would be nice to say i look like james bond one day though :D
    (It's never gonna happen so don't kill me)
    I think many members of the public wants the next James Bond to be chosen through a vote just like the next X Factor winner.
    Yes, plebiscited like Brosnan after series 5 Remington Steele. Turner coming up to series 5 of Poldark, it's like history repeating.
    He doesn't have it yet.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ben Barnes's name has come up before on this thread. After reviewing Season 1 of Westworld, I'm more than convinced that he'd be a solid choice.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Ben Barnes's name has come up before on this thread. After reviewing Season 1 of Westworld, I'm more than convinced that he'd be a solid choice.
    He wouldn't be bad I suppose, but there's something about his look which suggests deviousness or a schemer. For some reason he reminds me of Timothy Olyphant in that respect.

I think the trick with Bond is that we the viewer must be able to (and must want to) sympathize with him, given his profession results in him doing some pretty bad things. I'm not sure if Barnes would be able to convey that appropriately.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I saw him in The Punisher. Decent enough an actor perhaps, but can't say I'm fond of him.
    He was rubbish as Dorian Gray (in a rubbish adaptation to be fair), so I'd say no.
    In 2022 Aidan Turner will be 38 going on 39, in other words a few years younger than Brosnan in GE and roughly the same age as Craig in CR. I think by then he won't look so baby faced anymore, which is a common complaint I see alot at the moment. He will be the perfect choice for a departure after Craig, to a more traditional Bond leading actor, with charm and charisma instead of coldness. I think this would mean that they could move quicker from one film to the next and return to a every 2 year schedule, at least for the first two films. I think this would suit everyone involved as investors will be pleased that a regular pattern in achieved again, and fans will be happy to get consistent releases and for a return of formula also. Turner really is great if they want to stop moving in such a arty direction and get back to basics delivering crowd pleasing movies in the vein of the Brosnan and Moore entries but updated for modern times of course.