Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Thanks for your feedback @Revelator. Being someone that was very much alive during this period and a regular cinemagoer (my own attendance grew dramatically from 1974 onward on a weekly basis) I can say I didn't take any notice of reviews, nor did anyone else I knew at the time. I think the problem with trying to understand whether a series of poor reviews affected the box office upon its release is not having the information available to you firsthand, but having to root through what's available online today, which can be pretty sparse. Of course my own POV is London-centric and doesn't take in how the US might have responded. Word of mouth was always the best way to know whether a movie was good or not, but then that did depend somewhat on the type of person who was passing on this information to you. You pertain that some of those movies that I mentioned getting negative reviews as not "necessarily representing the critical consensus" though you forget that there was no "critical consensus" to measure anything by back then. You either read a good or bad review in your local newspaper and believed what they said or you didn't. You certainly didn't scour other sources to decide on how best to invest your 30 Pence investment into a cinema ticket just in case one critic had got it wrong. In the UK Barry Norman was very popular in the 70s and I watched ALL his shows, when they were available as they weren't on every week, right from the very first one. He wasn't always right, but regardless, I still went to see a movie even if Norman didn't like it because I was drawn by the subject matter or the actor, not the review itself. I won't bore you with what showbiz publications I did read, other than to say I read Variety every week throughout the entire 70s so was aware of what was happening in the movie world. That wasn't the only publication I read, there's far too many to mention, but the point was it didn't affect which movie I went to see.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I don't recall her ever mentioning Dr. No, but she did call FRWL "exciting, handsomely staged, and campy." TB was "Not bad, but not quite top-grade Bond. A little too much underwater war-ballet" and YOLT was "probably the most consistently entertaining of the Bond packages up to the time." OHMSS was "marvelous fun," "exciting," and "the director, Peter Hunt, is a wizard at action sequences, particularly an ethereal ski chase that you know is a classic while you're goggling at it, and a mean, fast bobsled chase that is shot and edited like nothing I've ever seen before."
    I read Kael's review of Dr. No in one of her books that I mentioned I had from the Eighties. Alas, like most things, you won't find it available online. I no longer have it as I lost it in one of my many moves to refer back to, but I can recall not being too impressed with her views on some of my other favourite movies to boot. My own views are coming from someone who took a very keen and active interest in movies and their making throughout the 70s and onward. In fact, I never met anyone who was as interested in movies as much as myself from my own age group other than Adrian Turner, who I mentioned on another thread that I worked with in the past. I'll tell you one thing for nothing, we disagreed on the Die Hard 2, which he thought was better than the first one.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,896
    bondsum wrote: »
    I think the problem with trying to understand whether a series of poor reviews affected the box office upon its release is not having the information available to you firsthand, but having to root through what's available online today, which can be pretty sparse.

That's certainly true, as the later parts of my response will show.
    You pertain that some of those movies that I mentioned getting negative reviews as not "necessarily representing the critical consensus" though you forget that there was no "critical consensus" to measure anything by back then. You either read a good or bad review in your local newspaper and believed what they said or you didn't. You certainly didn't scour other sources to decide on how best to invest your 30 Pence investment into a cinema ticket just in case one critic had got it wrong.

I cannot agree there. In America at least it was certainly possible to talk of a critical consensus in the pre-internet age, especially because print media had much greater influence at the time. If I was researching the critical reception of a film released in 1969, I would reviews from all of the following publications to decide on what the critical consensus was:

* Newspapers circulated across the entire country, primarily The New York Times and Wall Street Journal.
    * Major newspapers from large metropolitan areas that circulated across large regional areas, such as The Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune.
    * Mass-market magazines with large national circulation: Time, Newsweek, Saturday Evening Post, Variety, etc.
    * Magazines with national circulation catering to educated audiences (i.e., the intelligentsia): New Republic, New Yorker, Village Voice, Saturday Review, Nation, etc.

All of these publications had the potential to be just as (or perhaps more) influential than anything in a local paper, especially since local critics usually took their cues from ones in New York, LA, Chicago, or the major magazines. All of the publications listed above were "taste-makers" had much greater influence in the pre-internet age.

An individual reviewer rarely has the power to make or break a Hollywood film that has a good advertising budget (though as Kael pointed out, a negative review in The New York Times could doom the chances of a foreign or independent film circulating beyond New York). But a bad reviews in multiple influential publications (those listed above) could seriously cripple a film. They still can--that's why Rotten Tomatoes is taken seriously by Hollywood today. And occasionally an influential critics's rave could draw attention to a film and increase its success (Kael's rave for Bonnie and Clyde).
    I read Kael's review of Dr. No in one of her books that I mentioned I had from the Eighties

Perhaps you're thinking of the following remarks, originally published in the Autumn 1963 issue of Film Quarterly:

"Dr. No is a Pop Art collage of comic strips and Flash Gordon serials, and I suppose it is successful in creating a certain kind of male fantasy world. It lacks verbal wit (when Dr. No finally appears for dinner, we expect, we need some chic far-out dialogue), and the style collapses because there aren't enough asinine conceits. I know we're supposed to find the film sophisticated just because it's so banal, that this, as in Pop Art, is somehow supposed to be the whole point, but for pleasant entertainment, I prefer The List of Adrian Messenger (though every man I know says I'm wrong)."

John Huston was one of her favorite directors, so I'm not surprised to that she preferred Adrian Messenger. As for Bond, her remarks on FRWL, YOLT, OHMSS, etc. show that she grew to like the series. Reviewing DAF she wrote "No doubt those of us who love the Bond pictures are spoiled, but really we've come to expect more than a comic car chase." Even the stray mentions of the Bond films in her later reviews tend to be positive.
    In fact, I never met anyone who was as interested in movies as much as myself from my own age group other than Adrian Turner, who I mentioned on another thread that I worked with in the past.

I was certainly impressed by Turner's Goldfinger book--it's a pity no one has written similar volumes on the other great Bond films.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    All good points @Revelator. And there's certainly probably some truth behind what you say about the US market. Though I must remind you that young people then, as very much now, seldom bought newspapers on a daily basis, especially during the counterculture period of the 1960s, which was why Easy Rider, Bonnie and Clyde and Midnight Cowboy performed so well. They weren't the sort of movies that their parents would have approved of. Also, the newspaper examples that you give were aimed at the intelligentsia, not your average cinemagoer. I must confess, and I had forgotten to mention this in my previous roundup, that the newspaper adverts and movie posters did used to display quotes endorsing a movie's merits so one could know immediately, without the need of having to read a review, what the overall consensus was. Though this wasn't done for every movie, it was certainly done for those select few that the studio felt that their PR campaigns could generate more ticket revenue for. Cinema attendances had declined severely during this period, the older generation preferring to stay at home and watch something on their colour TVs. It was the teenagers that were still keeping the drive-ins and theatres still ticking over. Less so in the UK, as the majority were taken over as Bingo halls. That was really a sad time but you had to be there to witness it. As for 2001, the movie was poorly received by critics and first word-of-mouth wasn't much better... until some youths began turning up high on LSD and began packing out the theatres. Before this, the movie was just about to be pulled with MGM about to write it off as a huge flop; therefore it gained a new lease of life. I'm not interested in the revised reviews, just the original. Same would apply for Blade Runner. Psycho was not the classic it is hailed as today. Many critics thought it was far too grisly. I'm not going to go through every review but there's a good example of the backlash on Hitchcock in an old Guardian review.

https://theguardian.com/film/2010/oct/22/psycho-hitchcock-archive-review-horror

Of course, I'm talking from my own London POV, and I can assure you that no young person would say that they must-see a movie based on its critical reception. Most of us were of the mindset that the majority of critics only liked artsy-farsty movies and were out of touch with the youth of the day. Let's not also forget that most critics of that period were old-hands by that point and had been writing their sneering reviews over many decades.

On the subject of Kael, I cannot recall the exact words she used, but it was most definitely a review written prior to its US release... and it was pretty dismissive in its tone. But you're quite right, she grew to embrace the Bond movies, probably realising that they weren't the flash-in-the-pan she first thought they would be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This guy may not be a black woman, but he could still make a great Bond. You should see him adjust his headfeathers.
    2649911-CBHTKJYT-7.jpg
    Though I must remind you that young people then, as very much now, seldom bought newspapers on a daily basis, especially during the counterculture period of the 1960s, which was why Easy Rider, Bonnie and Clyde and Midnight Cowboy performed so well.

I don't know about the UK, but publications like the Village Voice, which I listed earlier, were major independent newspapers that catered to the counterculture and had national reach. That helped Andrew Sarris become a prominent critic. Throw in various other "underground" press organs as well, since the 60s was the decade these really began to flourish. Also, the counter-culture tended to consist of college-educated folk, so you get some overlap with the intelligentsia. The New Yorker's circulation went up in the late 1960s because college kids were buying it to read Kael's reviews. This was a period when film courses started being widely taught in college, and perhaps the last time when foreign directors (Fellini, Bergman, Godard, Kurosawa, Truffaut, etc.) could become big names among educated Americans. There was a larger audience of young cinephiles than ever before or since.
    In any case, this is taking us away from Bond, whose appeal tended to be mass market...
    Also, the newspaper examples that you give were aimed at the intelligentsia, not your average cinemagoer.

Almost all of the newspapers mentioned dealt with a mass market at the time. I did list several magazines that appealed to the intelligentsia. You're right that cinema attendance continued to decline during this period and that studios began trying to appeal to the young, who attended theaters more often. However, this situation was not as extreme as it became by the 1980s, and the Bond films themselves were all-ages phenomena that had little to do with the counterculture or youth fads.
    As for 2001, the movie was poorly received by critics and first word-of-mouth wasn't much better... until some youths began turning up high on LSD and began packing out the theatres...Psycho was not the classic it is hailed as today.

As wikipedia so aptly put it, 2001 received "polarized" reviews in America--it had a good share of good reviews in major publications. As for Psycho, it's American critical reception was mixed, whereas British reviews were mostly negative, and after the film's success critics began quickly re-evaluating its merits.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    bondsum wrote:
    Cinema attendances had declined severely during this period, the older generation preferring to stay at home and watch something on their colour TVs.
    In terms of how important film criticism was to the general public, I think this was kind of a big deal. Only after TV did films become 'special' or 'events' (not that there weren't ever event films to the point of course.) But in the 30s/40s/50s going to the movies was just something everyone did when they were looking for something to do. There was surely less need for discernment at the box office (the kind that critics nowadays readily assist with, in a PR sort of way). Back then you could buy a lot more film for your money. And the movies played for longer periods of time. If there was any deciding to be done, it was probably what you were in the mood for (something light? the MGM release; a tearjerker? go for the Fox; etc.) The star system was in full effect, as well. Film choice was more dependent then more so than now on which stars you liked.

On the basis of this alone I could see critics gaining more influence over time. Again, especially as they gradually became relied on from a public relations point-of-view to draw in attendees. Reading older critics, like Otis Ferguson for instance, I get more of a sense that they were writing with a view towards what people should think about a movie rather than what movies people should see. If that makes sense?

As far as the critics and Bond and their influence are concerned, the 60s/70s were the real hinge point. So I think it's hard to say.
    Revelator wrote: »
    In fact, I never met anyone who was as interested in movies as much as myself from my own age group other than Adrian Turner, who I mentioned on another thread that I worked with in the past.

I was certainly impressed by Turner's Goldfinger book--it's a pity no one has written similar volumes on the other great Bond films.
    Just read this last weekend. An informative and stylish book. Really liked his writing. Very cool you used to work with him, @bondsum. I plan on checking out some of his other work.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,094
    Will the next Bond actor be plebiscited?

While the current era has been very much the decisions of Barbara herself, its not unheard of for the franchise to resort to a public vote on who should take on the role. Pierce was the people's choice back in 1994, and remained popular with the general public throughout his time as Bond. The current way of doing things has proven very successful, but there are downsides that need to be addressed. If they went with a more workman style approach, and hired a decent actor how looks the part and has no issues performing his media duties, it might lead to a more streamlined production schedule, and a uptick in enthusiasm around the franchise. The Craig era has been trying for hardcore fans that wish for the old days of frequent releases and a less closed off mindset. Will there be push back by investors regarding the 4 year gaps and mishandled public image? No one wants Bond to become like Disney, pumping out films every year, but a bit more regularity wouldn't go amiss either. Perhaps a Bond of the people makes the most business sense for Bond going forward, meaning an actor which suits the role of what people think of as James Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

While the current era has been very much the decisions of Barbara herself, its not unheard of for the franchise to resort to a public vote on who should take on the role. Pierce was the people's choice back in 1994, and remained popular with the general public throughout his time as Bond. The current way of doing things has proven very successful, but there are downsides that need to be addressed. If they went with a more workman style approach, and hired a decent actor how looks the part and has no issues performing his media duties, it might lead to a more streamlined production schedule, and a uptick in enthusiasm around the franchise. The Craig era has been trying for hardcore fans that wish for the old days of frequent releases and a less closed off mindset. Will there be push back by investors regarding the 4 year gaps and mishandled public image? No one wants Bond to become like Disney, pumping out films every year, but a bit more regularity wouldn't go amiss either. Perhaps a Bond of the people makes the most business sense for Bond going forward, meaning an actor which suits the role of what people think of as James Bond.
    I relate to all of what you said.
    For a Bond actor to be plebiscited, before the movie even starts shooting no less, there needs to be consensus among the viewers, fan and non fan alike. I find it highly unlikely to happen now. Brosnan was perceived as the heir apparent as early as 1987. This is why he got plebiscited. If there was an heir apparent we'd know it by now, the debate would be about whether or not you agree with the general opinion.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Of the two I think of the two most who had been plebiscited in the vein of Brosnan whom both fans and non-fans wanted as Bond are Clive Owen and Michael Fassbender. Can't recall others who would've resulted in that sort of consensus among the public.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883

So do I.

If I were to guess, our next Bond will be much closer to the cinematic template than the incumbent. Additionally, I think this is more likely to be a Roger Moore/Brosnan situation rather than a Craig one. History never repeats itself in entirely the same way of course but I still think it's likely we have someone we know in the chair in a few years. Someone for whom there are fans, and also detractors.

The business dynamics at MGM suggest to me that they will take a safer choice next time out.
    bondjames wrote: »

So do I.

If I were to guess, our next Bond will be much closer to the cinematic template than the incumbent. Additionally, I think this is more likely to be a Roger Moore/Brosnan situation rather than a Craig one. History never repeats itself in entirely the same way of course but I still think it's likely we have someone we know in the chair in a few years. Someone for whom there are fans, and also detractors.

The business dynamics at MGM suggest to me that they will take a safer choice next time out.

I think the series will have to go back to the traditional cinematic template after Craig or it will die out. Many might argue that Craig and the current films are the most successful, but I disagree vehemently. May I remind the committee...........that this year this is NO Bond film, nor was there one last year, or the year before? We're not even 100% confident there will be one next year as well.
    As for public vote, I do remember Brosnan winning the polls by a landslide back in 1994.
    Considering that, now, Bond is simply not in the public eye as much, and today, many movies goers aren't as well versed in 007 history or knowledge as in the Cubby era, I think the public vote would go for someone along the lines of Idris Elba, or an A lister a'la Ben Affleck.
    In 1994, in spite of the long gap, audiences had been accustomed to generous portions of Bond for three decades, and had a strong idea of who and what Bond was, hence, it was no wonder Pierce was the popular choice. TBS was running Bond marathons constantly back then, showcasing Connery and Moore which represent Bond as a hero. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but today's marathons mainly consist of the Craig films, which represent Bond as a f**k up slowly learning his trade well into middle age.
    I do hope MGM gets things together soon because the clock is ticking.
    Good points and I look forward too it.

When I say a people choice of Bond, I mean someone happy to embrace and become known for the character, fully comfortable in the role and all that entails. I'm sure Roger and Pierce had their detractors back in the day, but what struck you about them was how they could win over ordinary moviegoers with their natural charm and wit.

There is a trend lately of taking unknown or lesser known stars and putting them in leading roles of huge blockbuster franchises. It seems like the recieved wisdom now is that if an IP is big enough, it can sell itself without the need for star muscle. I've always thought Bond should be bigger than the guy wearing the suit and therefore finding someone who is lesser known, but still likable and outgoing enough to win people over seems like the right pitch for someone to succeed Craig. It only makes sense that after they took such a departure with Craig, a similar departure in the opposite direction is necessary now. A lot of the comments I see from Bond fans now remind me of the exasperation felt in 2002. I really feel like a similar transformation is necessary, this time back to the familiar instead of away from it.

When I say a people choice of Bond, I mean someone happy to embrace and become known for the character, fully comfortable in the role and all that entails. I'm sure Roger and Pierce had their detractors back in the day, but what struck you about them was how they could win over ordinary moviegoers with their natural charm and wit.

There is a trend lately of taking unknown or lesser known stars and putting them in leading roles of huge blockbuster franchises. It seems like the recieved wisdom now is that if an IP is big enough, it can sell itself without the need for star muscle. I've always thought Bond should be bigger than the guy wearing the suit and therefore finding someone who is lesser known, but still likable and outgoing enough to win people over seems like the right pitch for someone to succeed Craig. It only makes sense that after they took such a departure with Craig, a similar departure in the opposite direction is necessary now. A lot of the comments I see from Bond fans now remind me of the exasperation felt in 2002. I really feel like a similar transformation is necessary, this time back to the familiar instead of away from it.

Roger and Pierce embraced the role and enjoyed it immensely. They were both wonderful in interviews, exuded in charm and wit and represented each new film in a positive light.
    I'd love for the next Bond actor to have those qualities, and stick around for the long haul (not just a few occasional films over the span of several years).
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Roger and Pierce embraced the role and enjoyed it immensely. They were both wonderful in interviews, exuded in charm and wit and represented each new film in a positive light.
    I'd love for the next Bond actor to have those qualities, and stick around for the long haul (not just a few occasional films over the span of several years).
    I'm with you both. The actor who plays Bond should always be the most charming, smooth and witty actor out there imho. It's a tradition. These days we have folks like RDJ taking that spotlight. I would think the same thing played in the late 80's when Bruce and Arnie were hogging the limelight being smooth while Tim was all nervous in interviews (there's a Wogan one somewhere where he's practically sweating).
    Thanks once again @Revelator for your views. I didn't realise that you were coming from an American perspective until now. And thanks again @Strog for your additional comments on the subject. I suppose we'd better return to the more inane banter of "Who should/could be a Bond actor" even though that subject isn't going to be going very far until MGM sorts out its own tangled mess.
    Of the two I think of the two most who had been plebiscited in the vein of Brosnan whom both fans and non-fans wanted as Bond are Clive Owen and Michael Fassbender. Can't recall others who would've resulted in that sort of consensus among the public.

I don't think either had the same back up and they are both too old now. But even circa 2005 Clive Owen had his fans but nothing like the following Brosnan had when he got the role.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I don't think either had the same back up and they are both too old now. But even circa 2005 Clive Owen had his fans but nothing like the following Brosnan had when he got the role.
    Oh I was referring to the time they were both fresh and highly recommended for the job by the public. You're right, however, judging by the articles and research I've come across, neither were on the same ground as Brosnan was back in the day. But, still, of all the candidates post-Brosnan we've had, these two, in their prime, got the recommendation more than the rest.

Oh I was referring to the time they were both fresh and highly recommended for the job by the public. You're right, however, judging by the articles and research I've come across, neither were on the same ground as Brosnan was back in the day. But, still, of all the candidates post-Brosnan we've had, these two, in their prime, got the recommendation more than the rest.

In 2005 from what I remember there was a pool of candidates, serious or not, each with their supporters but none having unanimity. I never understood what people saw in Clive Owen but there you go. On the long run that there was no clear successor to Brosnan in people's mind played to Craig's advantage. My bet is that he will not have a clear successor either. Maybe someone with a more classic look, but no heir apparent.
    Aidan Turner would make most people happy, and fulfill the traditional image of Bond. Except for a few diehards who seem dead set against him. Can't please everyone, I guess.
    I'm not convinced about Turner. Not against him but definitely not convinced.
    My thoughts exactly.
    At the slow rate that they're now making these Bond movies @Ludovico, I don't think the next actor has likely been born yet!! Aidan Turner will simply be too old by the time B26 rolls into production.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'm ambivalent too, but I would definitely take him over the incumbent. I'm pretty much done with the Craig era, Boyle or no Boyle. Time for a fresh start imho.
    At the slow rate that they're now making these Bond movies @Ludovico, I don't think the next actor has likely been born yet!! Aidan Turner will simply be too old by the time B26 rolls into production.

Exactly. Craig's upcoming kid could be the next Bond.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I'm ambivalent too, but I would definitely take him over the incumbent. I'm pretty much done with the Craig era, Boyle or no Boyle. Time for a fresh start imho.
    Yep!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,894

Owen would have been better than most, but for that time, it would have to be James Purefoy. As for Fassbender, that suggestion deserves a Selwyn Froggit.
    As for Fassbender, that suggestion deserves a Selwyn Froggit.
    I take it you're not a fan of the chap, Major?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    My thoughts exactly.

True. The scary thing is, we may end up waiting 5-6 years for a final craig film and then another 5-6 years while they find an actor to take over, rather then just use the extra time NOW to find an actor rather than drag us through the dirt AGAIN after B25.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As for Fassbender, that suggestion deserves a Selwyn Froggit.
    I take it you're not a fan of the chap, Major?

Selwyn Froggitt:

billmaynard.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

(2 thumbs up)

Fassbender has the right blend of smoothness and ruggedness, not too much of either. Definitely a missed opportunity.