Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Because he looked the part for sure. I've said it before here: people age differently nowedays and without the hardship of the youths Connery, Moore and Lazenby had, they wouldn't be that convincing. It's in their manners, in their radiation if you will. I haven't seen that much with younger actors. Then again, these days I have little time to really watch movies. I love getting older ;-)

Can't think of more than a handful young-ish actors that have anything about them close to what actors like Connery, Moore and Lazenby had in radiation. That's something that is completely lost with actors today.

It's been a long time since Hiroshima. People aren't radiating anymore
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,294
    Because he looked the part for sure. I've said it before here: people age differently nowedays and without the hardship of the youths Connery, Moore and Lazenby had, they wouldn't be that convincing. It's in their manners, in their radiation if you will. I haven't seen that much with younger actors. Then again, these days I have little time to really watch movies. I love getting older ;-)

Can't think of more than a handful young-ish actors that have anything about them close to what actors like Connery, Moore and Lazenby had in radiation. That's something that is completely lost with actors today.

It's been a long time since Hiroshima. People aren't radiating anymore

Haha! Could have used "screen presence" instead, perhaps - or even "charisma"!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tom Hardy is back as the favourite.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/928874/James-Bond-odds-Tom-Hardy-James-Norton-Daniel-Craig-Dunkirk-McMafia-Christopher-Nolan

I imagine once the new series of Poldark gets underway soon Aidan Turner will be back on top.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Aidan who? ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't have a problem with any of these guys. Just let's get on with it.
    I probably wouldn't mind Tom Hardy. Aidan Turner either. I do feel it's going to be, at the very least, half a decade before things get rolling on the first post Craig Bond.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't mind Tom Hardy. Aidan Turner either. I do feel it's going to be, at the very least, half a decade before things get rolling on the first post Craig Bond.

Yes, 2022 seems likely at the moment, but there could always be an early departure by Craig. Its happened before.

Yes, 2022 seems likely at the moment, but there could always be an early departure by Craig. Its happened before.

True. Tim jumped ship only months before GE was originally scheduled to begin filming.

True. Tim jumped ship only months before GE was originally scheduled to begin filming.

And Brosnan got the boot rather unexpectedly poor chap.

You'd have to go back to '85 for the last time it hasn't happened in fact.

And Brosnan got the boot rather unexpectedly poor chap.

You'd have to go back to '85 for the last time it hasn't happened in fact.

True. Sad thing is the transition from Roger to Tim was the last time the actor changed within it's normal 2 year schedule. None of this 4 year nonsense to ponder 007's relevance in the world. None of this business of letting obstacles (such as Pierce's NBC contract situation) delay the release date of the next adventure. If that Remington Steele cancellation/renewal happened today when a main contender was being touted as Bond, we'd probably see articles stating the new film was going to be delayed another year.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sam Neill would have been a disaster as Bond, although slightly better than Brosnan.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    talos7 wrote: »

This is a family friendly forum, racism will not be tolerated
    Good, and I agree. Feeling a black actor is not appropriate for the part of Bond is not racist , while the accusation is prejudiced.
    He's too short. We've had enough of the camera tricks already.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2018 Posts: 11,139
    It might actually help not to post some of these articles that feature displeasing news you don't want to read about; and on that note at least it's not an article suggesting Oyelowo SHOULD be Bond but it's him saying that IF he were offered the role he'd take it, which I think is fair to say is understandable.
    Well, whenever any actor is linked to Bond ithe news generally makes it’s it’s way to this board. Why should it be any different with this one?
    It makes its way here because people obviously post it here and yet it's news (the idea of a black Bond) 99% of forum members are tired of hearing/reading about. So why post it in the first place if all people are going to do is complain about it? It doesn't make much sense to me.
    Fascinating, there are endless post that I , or others, would find pointless or offensive and it is not suggested that they should not be posted.
    That's different though. People are usually conversing and discussing a specific topic of discussion where one agrees or disagrees. In this case, you and many others here have conveyed your disapproval and objection to the idea of a black James Bond and you're clearly tired of seeing it in the media, yet you continue to promote it here? Why? If it was something you supported or were open to, fair enough but that's not the case. It's a discussion that you and so many don't really want to have because in your mind there's nothing to discuss. Bond isn't black, he should be white blah blah blah and all that (many valid arguments supporting your position)...but yet here you are, giving such articles air time and attention. I'm not trying to be difficult about this, you can post what ever you like, I'm just not fully understanding the logic behind bringing things up that's of no interest to you and 99% of forum members that doesn't lend itself to a balanced discussion here. It's just odd to me.
    As have others, In the past I have frequently commented on various actors who have been proposed as the next Bond. for a myriad of reasons most are not seen as suitable; recently I made the observation that the only requirement to be considered for the role was to have worn a tux.

If you go back through my history you will see that I am consistently respectful to others and even if I disagree with someone I don't become combative.

In my initial, unedited, post that has sparked this discussion, no mention of race is made; It's a story that simply shows another actor who's name is being attached to Bond. This was followed by a prejudiced, offensive reply that makes an accusation of racism. I find it curious that this member is not reminded not to pre-judge another's motivation for saying or posting something.

Chaps, I'm quite sure @JamesBondKenya was joking.

We have to laugh about these things, given how ridiculous the media can be. Oyleowo has as much chance of being Bond as I do. Zero, nil, nada, zip.
    As have others, In the past I have frequently commented on various actors who have been proposed as the next Bond. for a myriad of reasons most are not seen as suitable; recently I made the observation that the only requirement to be considered for the role was to have worn a tux.

If you go back through my history you will see that I am consistently respectful to others and even if I disagree with someone I don't become combative.

In my initial, unedited, post that has sparked this discussion, no mention of race is made; It's a story that simply shows another actor who's name is being attached to Bond. This was followed by a prejudiced, offensive reply that makes an accusation of racism. I find it curious that this member is not reminded not to pre-judge another's motivation for saying or posting something.

Mate, I know you're a respectful guy if you don't agree with others. I was just finding it a bit strange from my perspective; but like I said, I was more curious rather than trying to tell you what you can or can't post. I don't have that right. As for the poster you mentioned, I didn't even see what he wrote until you and @jamesbond alluded to it as I usially ignore the guy. It'll all good.
    These articles are pretty hilarious. I suppose in the day and age of social media/ internet ANY actor could simply mention they'd "consider" playing James Bond if the opportunity arose and the public would read it as they're a shoe in for the role.

I remember in '95 while promoting GET SHORTY, John Travolta mentioned Bond was one of his favorite characters and he would have loved a shot at it. It was an offhand comment and nothing was made of it. No B.S. headlines reading "Travolta to be the next 007???" like there would most likely be today.

I've had too many conversations with friends/acquaintances asking me if it's true that Charlize Theron, Elba, etc are really going to replace Craig. As amusing as it is, I think this era of gullibility needs to end.
    I remember Dustin Hoffman once said he would love to play Bond as well, and that he would be excellent in the role.
    I remember Dustin Hoffman once said he would love to play Bond as well, and that he would be excellent in the role.

I remember that as well. If he said that today, and one googled Bond 25, it would probably be at the top in the news section.

I remember that as well. If he said that today, and one googled Bond 25, it would probably be at the top in the news section.

along with comments about the groping accusations.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,730

Oh no dude I was completely 100% joking. It was a joke at the media and their choice of actors for bond as well as their idea of what racism is and it was a joke about this forum and how the mods are over sensitive about what we say. Not aimed at you at all, don’t even worry about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Chaps, I'm quite sure @JamesBondKenya was joking.

We have to laugh about these things, given how ridiculous the media can be. Oyleowo has as much chance of being Bond as I do. Zero, nil, nada, zip.

Right you are
    I suppose this hasn’t ever been a thought but could Dalton/Brosnan ever return to the role realistically?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I suppose this hasn’t ever been a thought but could Dalton/Brosnan ever return to the role realistically?
    Absolutely not.